Piano World Home Page
Posted By: ecm Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/09/05 05:36 PM
Some say yes, some say no, but still Ivo Pogorelich is one of the best pianist at all.. is that true? he has a briliant technique, also some great control of the piano, but still, he has not accomplished much (according to critics) what do u say?
Posted By: jon-nyc Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/09/05 06:40 PM
the man owns Gaspard de la nuit as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: Hank Drake Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/09/05 06:49 PM
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
He does own Gaspard, and--IMO--Prokofiev's Sixth Sonata. But he's still controversial in much else, and I say: What's wrong with that?
Posted By: TS Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/09/05 07:00 PM
His Scarlatti is timeless as well. He's up there on my list of favorites.

[edit] Oh, forgot about his English Suites; also fantastic IMO.
Posted By: Dubious Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/09/05 07:03 PM
His version is amazing, though I also enjoy Michelangeli and Argerich as much. Anybody listen to the new Aimard CD? I expect that to be a good contender as well.

I actually like Pogorelich's Scarlatti, Prokofiev Sonata #6, Liszt B minor and Chopin preludes. The rest not as much.
I don't like the way that Pogo plays really soft and then REALLY LOUD. C'mon, what's he trying to prove? It sounds terribly redundant.
Posted By: Tavner Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/09/05 08:39 PM
Yes, Pogo "owns" Gaspard, as far as recorded versions go. It is an amazing perfomance. But, I lost all respect for him a few years back when he played an all-Chopin recital. Such willful, self-indulgent playing I have never heard in my life. He completely distorted every piece, some almost beyond recognition. There was a lot wrong with his playing, in my opinion.
Posted By: Anima Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/09/05 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Contrapunctus:
I don't like the way that Pogo plays really soft and then REALLY LOUD. C'mon, what's he trying to prove? It sounds terribly redundant.
. . . .
pogorelich is one of the greatest pianists alive no doubt. though his playing can be a tad unusual at times...hes done things with certain peices that are truly remarkable. Just listen to his Chopin preludes,gaspard de la nuit, and scarlatti.
Posted By: ecm Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/10/05 04:27 PM
Hank Drake: But he's still controversial in much else, and I say: What's wrong with that?

wink that's correct. I mean, what happens if every single pianist plays the same ?? :p
Posted By: TS Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/10/05 06:32 PM
Has anyone seen his new DVD? If so, what did you think?

Ivo Pogorelich - Recital: Bach, Scarlatti, Beethoven
Posted By: AndrewG Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/10/05 08:15 PM
I watched this DVD three or four times in its entirety. It is more than excellent but remember this is Pogorelich in his 'sane' years. This is one of my most enjoyable and liked DVDs. The only relatively weak piece in the play list is Beethoven 'Fur Elise' I expect more dynamic shadings than he delivered. However, it is still a good example of how this should be played for millions of piano students as well as many a piano teacher.

BTW, I finally watched the first installment of a 4-DVD series by EuroArts label focusing on great Mozart Piano Concertos. Both the audio and video quality is top notch. Here is the play list on the DVD:

No.9 in Eb, K.271 - Mitsuko Uchida with Jeffrey Tate
No.12 in A,K.414 - Vladimir Ashkenazy (Pianist/conductor)
No.26 in D,K.537 - Homero Francesch with Gerd Albrecht

I'm eagerly looking forward to the remaining 3 volumes...
Posted By: Melody117 Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/11/05 09:01 PM
I think he's ok...

I was actually playing a Haydn Sonata and my teacher specifically told me to listen to his recording. I thought it sounded pretty good.
Posted By: jon-nyc Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/11/05 09:27 PM
TS or Andrew -

Can you tell me whats on the Pogo DVD? THe Amazon link doesn't say.
Posted By: ecm Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/11/05 09:44 PM
Haven't watch his DvD yet, but I can't even find it here in Macedonia. I hope it has a lot to offer.
Posted By: TS Re: Ivo Pogorelich - controversal or not? - 09/11/05 11:13 PM
TS or Andrew -

Can you tell me whats on the Pogo DVD? THe Amazon link doesn't say.
"1. Bach: ENGLISH SUITE NO. 2 IN A MINOR
ENGLISH SUITE NO. 3 IN G MINOR
2. Scarlatti: 6 SONATAS (NOs. 5, 17, 19, 35, 15, 3)
3. Beethoven: SONATA NO. 11 IN B-FLAT MAJOR
FUR ELISE IN A MINOR "
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums