Piano World Home Page
Does anyone have any thought about this 'labor of love'? Are you the master of your piano or is it the master of you---maybe neither?!?!

[Linked Image]
Hmmmm. Good question, Mat. I've never really thought about it. For me, the piano was a nice escape from the stresses of life. Nowadays, when things get hard in the lab, I eagerly come home to my "toy" (okay, it's just a 61 key synthesizer, but it'll have to do for now) and spend hours on it playing to my heart's delight.

I guess since my living doesn't depend upon playing the piano, I could safely say that it isn't a master over me (if that makes sense at all).

But on another note (and going a bit off-topic), last night, I participated in a performance of John Rutter's Requiem. It was a fun experience, indeed. We were a combined choir from two area churches and were accompanied by organ, flute, violin, cello, timpani and keyboard with a harp voice (there was a harpist available, but she had health problems which prevented her from participating). We performed it as part of an Evensong and at the end of it, the audience gave us a standing ovation. That was a great experience indeed.
Well, at least he's not chained to the piano, only to the bench. Just think, he'll always have a place to sit, wherever he may go!

Regards,
Originally posted by BruceD:
Well, at least he's not chained to the piano, only to the bench. Just think, he'll always have a place to sit, wherever he may go!

LOL!

But seriously, whoever made that picture must feel like the piano is some kind of trap to hold him there. I find playing fun and relaxing.

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: jgoo ]
I sometimes wonder about my 'relationship' to the piano. I enjoy playing. There are many times when I feel like I'm a talentless wannabe, but my love for the piano brings me back. (Maybe it's more like an addiction? laugh ) Maybe the person in that picture is so empassioned (sp?) with the piano and playing that he can't tear himself away. (Hence the chain. To me, the red could mean desire/passion.) Just my $0.02.

Hilary
I think he is just trying to control his excessive foot tapping.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums