Piano World Home Page
Posted By: pianojerome What if you can't find a second pianist? - 12/27/07 10:03 PM
Play both pianos yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXy1FPTdvg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7silMjqeotM laugh
Posted By: 8ude Re: What if you can't find a second pianist? - 12/28/07 01:02 AM
Interesting... I've actually been kicking that idea around for a while, to write a piece for one pianist, two pianos, though nothing at all in the style of Steve Reich...
Originally posted by 8ude:
Interesting... I've actually been kicking that idea around for a while, to write a piece for one pianist, two pianos, though nothing at all in the style of Steve Reich...
Thank goodness!
Posted By: Brendan Re: What if you can't find a second pianist? - 12/28/07 01:27 AM
Originally posted by pianobuff:
Originally posted by 8ude:
[b] Interesting... I've actually been kicking that idea around for a while, to write a piece for one pianist, two pianos, though nothing at all in the style of Steve Reich...
Thank goodness! [/b]
Right, because Reich's music is so offensive. :rolleyes:
I found that piece irritating. In fact I heard shouts from the other room to turn it off. The Cambry duet was much more interesting albeit pretty traditional.
Posted By: signa Re: What if you can't find a second pianist? - 12/28/07 02:08 AM
minimumalist music? that's why there's no jumps on either hand...repetitions over the almost same position...and over and over... oh, Fazioli!
It sounded like noise, but that's just me laugh
Posted By: BruceD Re: What if you can't find a second pianist? - 12/28/07 02:45 AM
Such nuance! Such shading! Such delicately subtle dynamics! It brought tears to my eyes!

[Sigh!]
I rather liked it.
Posted By: Brendan Re: What if you can't find a second pianist? - 12/28/07 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Kreisler:
I rather liked it.
I loved it and am going to try to find an opportunity to do it.
Posted By: Brendan Re: What if you can't find a second pianist? - 12/28/07 05:05 AM
Also:

This and this were amazing.
The Reich is a great example of "phase music" -- Clapping Music being another (and perhaps more fun too). If taken in the spirit in which they were written (partly, only partly, for the listener to "zone out" to, but not the performer[s]), they're wonderful, and certainly innovative for their time. How anyone can think of them as "noise" is certainly beyond me.
Ok, I think more traditionally (i.e. teleologically) oriented ears should check out John Adams's works for solo piano, especially Phrygian Gates and China Gates, or his piano concerto Century Rolls. As minimalist composers go, I'm more fond of Adams than Reich (though both are way ahead of, ahem, Philip Glass).
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums