Piano World Home Page
Posted By: vinzeslife Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 12/02/07 06:41 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Vincent and I'm new here. I need some help on this song that I'm working on. It's Schubert's Sonata D845 in A. I find the piece, quite simple technically but then the mood is not easy. I don't really understand what Schubert is trying to say in this piece of his. When I played it, yes with the expression and all but still... something is missing. I just started playing about a day ago and made it to the end of the first part of the song.

Anyone played it before? Can share with me why Schubert wrote this song and what is he trying to say?

I'm learning this piece on my own. Didn't have a teacher. I'm only at my Grade 6 now, but had stopped for 1 year Starting picking up again a few weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vinz
Posted By: pianist.ame Re: Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 12/02/07 10:04 PM
you're at grade 6 and you want to start learning this piece?
the reason why you don't understand this sonata is because it's too mature and deep.

you need to learn one of his earlier sonatas 1st, in fact it's very important to learn a few sonatas by each Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn 1st.
Posted By: tomasino Re: Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 12/02/07 11:32 PM
Vincent, even the most gifted and experienced musicians would put more than a day into it before asking the questions you're asking.

Quoting AMELIALW

"you need to learn one of his earlier sonatas 1st, in fact it's very important to learn a few sonatas by each Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn 1st."

I'm curious amelialw, why do you feel it is necessary to learn a Mozart, a Beethoven, and a Haydn sonata before a Schubert sonata?

Why not Schubert first, then a Mozart, a Beethoven, and a Haydn?

Tomasino
Posted By: pianist.ame Re: Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 12/03/07 01:33 AM
schubert sonatas are more in depth in general, some of the are really challenging technically as well. Mozart and Haydn sonatas build the foundation. Beethoven sonatas have elements from Mozart and Haydn sonatas.

you can learn a Schubert sonata 1st but it will be much harder and it is'nt reccomended at Vinz's level
Posted By: tomasino Re: Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 12/03/07 07:08 PM
AMELIA, Yes, a good point. The only reason I take issue is that so many pianist seem to skip over Schubert sonatas, letting it go with a few impromptus. It's too bad, because some of the sonatas are really quite remarkable.

Tomasino
Posted By: BruceD Re: Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 12/03/07 08:31 PM
Originally posted by tomasino: It's too bad, because some of the sonatas are really quite remarkable.

Tomasino [/QB]
... and some are remarkably repetitive, with repetitions that only a "master" pianist can cope with effectively. This may be one reason that some amateurs shy away from some of the Schubert Sonatas.

That said, I agree that they deserve more attention than they get, but that one - depending upon ones skills - needs to be selective in choosing among them.

Regards,
Posted By: vinzeslife Re: Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 12/04/07 10:55 AM
Thanks guys for your advice. Well, I must admit that I'm may not be mature enough to understand this piece. Frankly, this is the first Schubert sonata that I've came across and I immediately fall in love with it. That is why I'm playing it.

Anyhow, I'll still continue playing this song and also at the same time, look into his other sonatas.

Thanks again for your advices. Really appreciated it, being a young pianist. smile

Regards,
Vinz
Posted By: Schubertian Re: Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 12/05/07 02:31 AM
I have some recordings of Sviatoslav Richter playing some of the later Schubert sonatas. As with so many other pieces of music I feel that listening to Richter's interpretation I understand the pieces fully for the first time.

Schubert's sonatas are conceived along long melodic lines - somewhat in contrast to the extremely condensed forms in H M and B. Richter does a good job of guiding the ear through these long paths. The later sonatas belong with the final phase of Schubert's output when he no doubt sensed the approaching end and produced his most powerful and inward creations.
Posted By: jeffrey grice Re: Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 08/02/08 07:45 AM
For me Richter is a barometer of truth. I have been looking for Richter's recording of the A minor sonata D 845 for ages. What label is it on please? Regards
Jeffrey
www.jeffreygrice.net
Posted By: tanjinjack Re: Schubert's Piano Sonata D845 in A - 08/02/08 08:03 AM
Hmm, Vinz.. You watch nodame?

Well, if you did, you should know how much hard work did nodame get over just to master the piece. Nodame is far above your level and she need time to learn.

I would say, try to polish up bit and bit, learn some sonatas from Haydn, Mozart etc. and only replay the piece. You might find it different.

Anyway, I am somehow learning bit by bit on this work also. I seldom touch piano now..

regards,
-jin jack-
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums