Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Scooter new person - 07/11/01 03:21 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Susan and I'm new to this list. I recently started piano lessons after a VERY long time away. Right now, I'm working on Mozart sonata 332, in F major. I think it's killing me!

I look forward to joining in discussions and learning from everyone here. Thanks!

Susan
[img]null[/img]
Posted By: Piano World Re: new person - 07/11/01 04:30 PM
Hi Susan,

Welcome to the Piano Forums!

Frank B.
Piano World
Posted By: Joe Re: new person - 07/11/01 05:01 PM
Welcome, this place is really awesome, You'll have a lot of fun here!
Posted By: Vid Re: new person - 07/11/01 06:11 PM
Welcome...and say, who is your favourite? Chopin or Liszt?

wink
Posted By: DT Re: new person - 07/11/01 06:18 PM
The L&C wars could have been avoided if only PDQ Bach had written more for piano and less for horn and hardaart....
Posted By: Scooter Re: new person - 07/11/01 06:24 PM
Hi Vid!

I like Chopin a lot, but I don't dislike Liszt. I've never played Liszt and honestly don't know much about him at all.

Susan
shocked laugh
Posted By: Brendan Re: new person - 07/11/01 07:03 PM
Welcome Susan!

You don't know much about Liszt? Let me help. First of all, even though this has no relation to any discussions past or present, I think he is a wonderful composer and I enjoy his music much more than some of his Polish compatriots. His total output includes almost 1500 works of all kinds - piano, symphonic, choral, etc., although his piano works are the most frequently heard and played.

If you're the reading type, Alan Walker wrote a three-book series on Liszt, most likely available in a city library near you.

Some pieces to get you started off - The 1st piano concerto, the b minor sonata, the symphonic poem "Les Preludes," and the three-book series "Annees de Pelerinage." Enjoy!
Posted By: Alex Re: new person - 07/11/01 07:54 PM
Susan,

Welcome. Why "scooter"?

As far as the previous post by Brendan, I will bite my tongue regarding List. :p :p
Posted By: Scooter Re: new person - 07/11/01 08:05 PM
Brendan,

Thanks for the suggestions! Could you also suggest an artist performing some of those pieces?

Alex, Scooter is the name of my favorite cat who died last year. I've always used his name for email stuff. (It's also a nickname given to me by a crazy friend!) I don't want to start a Liszt/Chopin debate, but I take it you don't care for Liszt?
laugh

Susan
Posted By: MacDuff Re: new person - 07/11/01 08:12 PM
Maybe Alex would like playing "List" more if he just had some good fingerings (inside joke)!

...and Mozart, too! :p
Posted By: Brendan Re: new person - 07/11/01 10:12 PM
and also if he used the metronome from time to time....

zing! laugh
Posted By: yok Re: new person - 07/12/01 04:19 AM
Hello Susan

K.332 is a lovely work. I hope it doesn't kill you.

Happy playing.
Posted By: CrashTest Re: new person - 07/12/01 08:06 PM
Mozart is often overlooked by many pianists, but his pieces are probably the most musically pure of everyone, its great to see someone learning something other than rondo alla turca! Regarding Liszt, his Hungarian Rhapsodies are also spectacular, I like numbers 2,4,5,6,10,11,12 the most, but they are all marvelous. His Spanish Rhapsody is also noteworthy, as well as his transcendental studies and studies after paganini.
Posted By: Scooter Re: new person - 07/14/01 04:50 PM
I'm really enjoying working on this Sonata. I've always loved Mozart! My goal is to try to learn one new one a year. I may be overreaching my abilities, but the process should be a great experience!

What are the rest of you working on right now? Is there a piece that was or is particularly difficult? If so, how did you motivate yourself to keep pushing ahead?

smile
Posted By: sj@@k Re: new person - 07/14/01 06:19 PM
at the moment i'm working on bach's short preludes & fugues , variation 1 from the goldberg variations and some preludes from chopin.
Posted By: Marci Re: new person - 07/19/01 04:49 AM
I love the Mozart K. 332. To me it's his most interesting sonata, and the adagio is hauntingly beautiful. Have fun learning it! It's really worth the effort.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums