Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Jeff135 Freddy Kempf.... - 10/29/05 09:49 PM
What do y'all think of this pianist? I am going to see him perform the Prokofiev 2nd concerto next weekend and would like to know everyone's opinion on this pianist.
Posted By: signa Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 10/30/05 03:02 AM
i only remember seeing his name on a CD at Borders, but don't know anything about him.
Posted By: pianojerome Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 10/30/05 03:04 AM
Is he related to Wilhelm Kempff?
Posted By: AndrewG Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 10/30/05 04:07 AM
Originally posted by pianojerome:
No.

He is the one who placed third in the Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow. He was however, the Russian audience's favorite for the Gold prize. It was sort of riotous situation. He has since developed a discernable following in europe.
Posted By: MMSGA Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 10/30/05 10:55 PM
Originally posted by AndrewG:
[b] Is he related to Wilhelm Kempff?
No.

He is the one who placed third in the Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow. He was however, the Russian audience's favorite for the Gold prize. It was sort of riotous situation. He has since developed a discernable following in europe. [/b]
I think he IS, actually... Great-nephew or something. I remember hearing it on the tv when he won the BBC Young Musician of the Year with a SUPERB Pag Rhapsody...
Posted By: Palindrome Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 10/31/05 10:28 PM
I also had heard he was related, some sort of cousin.
Edit: This from an article or review in a magazine, but Google search is not helpful.
2nd Edit: E-mail to the editor of Fanfare is even less helpful.
Posted By: AndrewG Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 11/01/05 01:28 AM
No, not related as I understand. One might log onto his WEB to find out more.
Posted By: wk Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 11/01/05 01:44 PM
The chap is quite a character and doing well in the UK.
Posted By: Anima Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 11/01/05 11:23 PM
I've seen/heard his Chopin Etudes on a DVD. Extremely ugly playing (especially tone-wise) but I can absolutely not complain about his fingertechnique.
Posted By: Rick Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 11/02/05 10:21 PM
Ah Gheez, I love that DVD! Is that the one where he's playing in some lonely old European castle or palace? It also has long segments of a guy named Alfredo Perle (playing all the Chopin Preludes) and Angela Hewitt. Is that the one? Well, anyhow, I like those etudes...made mp3's out of all of 'em. I guess one man's "ugly" is another man's "very nice".
Posted By: jpw101 Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 11/02/05 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Anima:
I've seen/heard his Chopin Etudes on a DVD. Extremely ugly playing (especially tone-wise) but I can absolutely not complain about his fingertechnique.
I couldn't agree more, I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with a piano DVD. It's not helped by the lousy recording quality, but I've complained about the playing elsewhere on this board so I'll leave it at that.
Posted By: Diarmuid2 Re: Freddy Kempf.... - 11/03/05 12:44 AM
I interviewed him once. He's a really nice guy, workaholic as far as I could see and a compulsive overachiever. He didn't feel bitter about the Tchaikovsky Competition at all, in fact he's good friends with the Russian guy who won. He said he had one of the best techniques he's ever seen, better than his own - and he thought the judges made the right decision.

He said the only disappointment was that he thought he'd have to play in a lot more competitions to establish himself, but as it turned out the publicity from the Russian public's reaction was enough.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums