Piano World Home Page
Posted By: c++ Does anyone else like to play church hymns? - 02/04/21 12:40 AM
I recently acquired a hymnal so I can play the hymns that I remember from my youth. I grew up in a Lutheran church, so even if you didn't like the sermon, the music was always good. Anyway, I find that hymns are easy to play, and I can even sight-read them. If I wanted to, I suppose I could sing along. I am just curious to know how many other folks on the forum like to play hymns as well? Maybe there are even some organists among us?
I have an old, very thick volume of hymns, mostly for organ/SATB choir which I bought as a teenaged student.

I have sight-read through most of them over the years, but the reason I bought it was because when I started singing hymns for the first time (and hearing them for the first time) when I went to a boarding school in the West, I was fascinated by the tunes and harmonies (so different from what I was exposed to in my home country), and began playing them by ear on the piano, and wrote them down. Some hymns were regularly sung in my school, so it was relatively easy to check to see if I'd written them down correctly (in SATB) when I heard them again, but others not so. The hymnal allowed me to check my efforts.

This Welsh hymn was always one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gvCODgV1fc

BTW, I was born an atheist, but I love to hear, play and sing religious music of all sorts, for the, er, music wink .
I’m familiar with the hymn but different tune
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPsxqQsnzJA
To answer the original question: as a kid, I played the piano for church when the pianist was absent, and played the organ for Sunday evening church services. So for many of the hymns, I can still play them by memory.

I have a lot of hymn arrangements since I have intermittently played the piano preludes for church. I will occasionally play them at home
I’m not an organist, but I love playing all sorts of hymns on piano. I also like improvising basic theme-and-variations on some hymns!
When I was a teen, I played for church services for a small church that had a piano but that did not have an organ. Most of my hymn memories come from those days when, over several years, I must have played several hundred hymns from our hymnal.

Regards,
Sure. They are music. Some even quite good music. Some are pretty old and known in many countries. Some newer and more local.

Some work well as more elaborate arrangements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2UYFn2_cUI

Or as very simple and stripped down ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXF9ReqJPhc

(No piano, no lyrics in those. The latter one doesn't show the original melody much until on the elecric guitar. They are a bit "jazz".)
Like others, I also used to play the hymns on the organ or the piano as a kid at church. There were basically three players: the conductor of the choir who was a violist and not very good at the keyboard but nevertheless very experienced in adapting the hymns in a way that won't confuse people (they needed a very strong lead for the melody and would always drag and one has to listen a lot), he taught me how to create the needed rhythm and intros even though they weren't there, or the opposite: how to slur the notes, so that there's just a harmony support for people since they have learned some hymns wrongly and it would be difficult to correct them... and it was my mom, who was a better keyboardist than him but less experienced in the peculiarities. And I was regularly replacing one of them. This is also the time when I started improvising in jazz and reharmonizing on the spot which would often confuse people but surprisingly they started coping with that. I mean, there's always some space for progress, they are not dumb and music is part of the service, so why not some change. This created a long-lasting interest in reharmonizing hymns that I still do today, although I don't go to church anymore and the last time was more than 25 years ago.
My all time favorite hymn. Eternal Father Strong to Save. I really loved what Hans Zimmer did with it. (Long distant mics with the vocals and synths/trumpet) I transcribed this for myself and play it often. I went really low to capture the bass and it gives me shivers when played on the piano.

Here it is from Crimson Tide: (Hans version)

https://youtu.be/rQ3MkrSc5yY
when I was a kid and when I went to the church, they didn't let me play their organ....
Definitely. I used to practice music regularly with a group in church before the pandemic. I uploaded a few hymns online. A while ago I uploaded "O Come Divine Messiah" usually sung around Advent a week before Christmas. It's the piece with the most viewers online.

I don't have a good piano sound on my keyboard and prefer to put it on organ instead. The next on the list is "Abide with Me" with "A Mighty Fortress is Our God"

2 Christmas piece I uploaded last year. The first was "O Holy Night". 4 years ago the city had a power blackout before Christmas. This piece was played during a candlelight service. To commemorate the event I dimmed the lights to make a recording.

A more recent find was a piece I heard on the radio before Christmas "In the Bleak Midwinter" by the English composer Gustav Holst.

A suggestion from my organ teacher: don’t play every repeated note, but tie the bass and alto. Repeating the soprano helps keep the rhythm going though. And sometimes the tenor.
Originally Posted by RubberFingers
A suggestion from my organ teacher: don’t play every repeated note, but tie the bass and alto. Repeating the soprano helps keep the rhythm going though. And sometimes the tenor.

Yes, I've been taught that too when playing church hymns. Those SATB scores are really meant for singers. When replayed on organ, it's a bit too staccato-ish that way.
I can't play any church hymns, but I have always like this ending hymn I heard on the Mission of St. Clare's daily office website and I just found out it's sung by the Ely Cathedral Choir

Posted By: TTWK Re: Does anyone else like to play church hymns? - 02/05/21 03:19 AM
I too really enjoy playing hymns. They're generally relatively simple, with clear soprano, alto, tenor and bass melodies which are very satisfying. It's funny though, my favourite hymns tend to be ones where the arrangements are by great composers. Two of my favourites are "Who would true valour see" arranged by Ralph Vaughan Williams, and "Long ago, prophets knew" arranged by Gustav Holst.
Speaking of great composers' own hymns, there is the lovely Min Jesus, lad mit hjerte få which, if you aren't Danish, you'd probably have never heard, unless you know the composer's Wind Quintet, in which he used his hymn for the finale (Theme & Variations):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-rEXo6Iyto

I first heard it in København in a church (whilst on my travels as a young man, about 100 years ago), and actually thought then that it was derived from a Danish folk song (even though at the time, I already knew The Inextinguishable and Hymnus amoris, and had sung in his folksy Fynsk Foraar as a chorister at school).

Staying in the Nordic countries, of course we all know this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3JJ0vdLN-U

Everyone knows that Britain's favorite hymn, Jerusalem, was composed by Sir Hubert Parry, but not a lot of people know that another well-known hymn tune Repton (used in "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind" in the UK, though not in the US) was derived from Parry's contralto aria 'Long since in Egypt's plenteous land' in his oratorio Judith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JymuL_r2THY
Originally Posted by bennevis
[...]at another well-known hymn tune Repton (used in "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind" in the UK, though not in the US) was derived from Parry's contralto aria 'Long since in Egypt's plenteous land' in his oratorio Judith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JymuL_r2THY

It was hard to find on Youtube the tune I know from my youth to "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind."

Regards,
Originally Posted by BruceD
It was hard to find on Youtube the tune I know from my youth to "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind."
In North America, the prevailing tune used is 'Rest' by Frederick Charles Maker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaZfDMZFdOI

.......which I've never heard until your link today. I doubt that there are any regular church goers in the UK (and probably Australia and NZ too) who knows it either.

Maybe it's just me, but Parry's 'Repton' tune sounds very English, and Maker's 'Rest' very American, in both the tune and the harmonization, even though they were both composed around the same time (1888 and 1887 respectively). Is that your perception too?

Just like this sounds very Finnish, even when sung by an English choir with English words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msLqQf4P3Yo
I can't imagine any 'ordinary' crowd in the UK or US celebrating their own greatest composer(s) in the way the Finns celebrate theirs - really inspiring. Sibelius is truly an icon for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUkzmJGi1Lo
In North America, the prevailing tune used is 'Rest' by Frederick Charles Maker:
.......which I've never heard until your link today. I doubt that there are any regular church goers in the UK (and probably Australia and NZ too) who knows it either.
'Rest' was the tune sung in the (Australian) Anglican church I attended in the 1960s. The hymn book we used was The Book of Common Praise which was nothing if not English. "Repton" is the tune we hear now - if you can find a church where they still sing hymns that is!
Originally Posted by currawong
'Rest' was the tune sung in the (Australian) Anglican church I attended in the 1960s. The hymn book we used was The Book of Common Praise which was nothing if not English. "Repton" is the tune we hear now - if you can find a church where they still sing hymns that is!
A recent takeover by Repton? smirk

I just discovered that my old hymnal "The Psalter and Church Hymnary" (published in 1899 grin) has the tune 'Campfields' by Mark James Monk (b.1858) to "Dear Lord and Father". It sounds somewhat bland compared to Repton and Rest.

Tranditional hymns are still sung in churches here, despite dwindling attendances and attempted takeovers by pop & gospel singers and others. It sometimes surprises me that most still have functioning pipe organs - many's the time when I've wandered into a little church almost in the middle of nowhere, when out on a hike in the green & (usually) pleasant land, and been able to play its organ......even though the only organ piece I can play from memory (sort of) is that Toccata & Fugue by - or attributed to - JSB.
It sometimes surprises me that most still have functioning pipe organs - many's the time when I've wandered into a little church almost in the middle of nowhere, when out on a hike in the green & (usually) pleasant land, and been able to play its organ......even though the only organ piece I can play from memory (sort of) is that Toccata & Fugue by - or attributed to - JSB.
So many wonderful old churches in the countryside over there - I know, I watch Escape to the Country from time to time. laugh
That is surprising about the organs. Not that they're there, but that many are actually working. I had occasion to play for a wedding in a tiny little historic (for us! 1830-something...) rural church a few years ago. The organ was a real sweetie - one rank of little beautifully painted pipes, and one little manual. No G's sounded at all, but apart from working around that, rather fun.
The last hymn I recorded after the pandemic lockdown is “Morning Has Broken. turned into a Pop song by the English singer “Cat Stevens”. A lot of local churches are conducting their services online so not going to perform it in church for at least 6 mths.

Indeed! I grew up Methodist, and played in 2 baptist churches for about a year each. We played things like Blessed Assurance, His eye is on the sparrow, Power in the Blood, and Softly and Tenderly.

I have a real soft spot for them. I love a basic untrained church choir, singing with heart.

This one always brings me to tears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lv_Z0Xrct8. The hymn starts at 1:10
I like to play chorale preludes, which were used to introduce hymns in Lutheran liturgy. My repertoire includes chorale preludes of Walther (J.S. Bach's 1st cousin, and the uncrowned king of the chorale prelude), Pachelbel, Zachau (Handel's organ teacher), Scheidt, Johann Christoph Bach, and J. S. Bach.

While many have organ pedal parts, there also are many with minimal or no pedal parts, enabling them to be played on piano.
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
The last hymn I recorded after the pandemic lockdown is “Morning Has Broken. turned into a Pop song by the English singer “Cat Stevens”. A lot of local churches are conducting their services online so not going to perform it in church for at least 6 mths.

The music for Morning Has Broken was actually composed by Rick Wakeman (most known for being the keyboard player of the band Yes).
Sweelinvk
Wasn’t ‘Morning Has Broken’ a 1931 hymn, later arranged by Rick Wakeman? Don’t believe he was the original composer
Originally Posted by dogperson
Sweelinvk
Wasn’t ‘Morning Has Broken’ a 1931 hymn, later arranged by Rick Wakeman? Don’t believe he was the original composer

"Morning Has Broken" is a popular and well-known Christian hymn first published in 1931. It has words by English author Eleanor Farjeon and was inspired by the village of Alfriston in East Sussex, then set to a traditional Scottish Gaelic tune known as "Bunessan." It is often sung in children's services and in Funeral services."

Internet source, for what it may be worth. Seems plausible without further research.

Regards,
Have to assume "Morning Has Broken" was based on words by Eleanor Farjeon with a Scottish tune. The other people including Rick Wakeman & Cat Stevens came later.

Wikipedia page on Rick Wakeman:

Wakeman played the piano on "Morning Has Broken" by Cat Stevens for his 1971 album, Teaser and the Firecat. Wakeman was omitted from the credits and for many years, was never paid for it; Stevens later apologised and paid Wakeman for the error.

Wikipedia page on Morning Has Broken:

Cat Stevens' recording, with a piano arrangement arranged and performed by Rick Wakeman, led to the song being known internationally.

When shaping "Morning Has Broken" for recording, Stevens started with the hymn, which took around 45 seconds to sing in its basic form. Producer Paul Samwell-Smith told him he could never put something like that on an album, and that it had to be at least three minutes, though an acoustic demo of an early Stevens version lasts almost three minutes. Prior to the actual recording Stevens heard Wakeman play something in the recording booth. It was a rough sketch of what would later become "Catherine Howard". Stevens told Wakeman that he liked it and wanted something similar as the opening section, the closing section and, if possible, a middle section as well. Wakeman told Stevens he could not as it was his piece destined for a solo album, but Stevens persuaded him to adapt his composition.

In 2000, Wakeman released an instrumental version of "Morning Has Broken" on an album of the same title. That same year he gave an interview on BBC Radio 5 Live in which he said he had agreed to perform on the Cat Stevens track for £10 and was "shattered" that he was omitted from the credits, adding that he never received the money either.

On his return to performance as Yusuf Islam, Stevens made a payment to Wakeman and apologized for the original non-payment, which he said arose from confusion and a misunderstanding on the record label's part. On a documentary aired on British television, Wakeman stated that he felt Stevens's version of "Morning Has Broken" was a very beautiful piece of music that had brought people closer to religious truth. He expressed satisfaction in having contributed to this. Wakeman included a 3:42 version on his 2017 album of piano arrangements, Piano Portraits.
Many years ago I played the harmonium in church services (mass) for a period before we moved house. Actually, a lot of the hymns were different from those I used to sing as a child. Very enjoyable to play, haven't played any since.
One hymn I recall which was so different from what I was used to is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK1DVDSnLjg
A small choir and some really nice tunes - happy times!
Originally Posted by dogperson
Sweelinck
The hymn is about 45 seconds in length. Wakeman composed piano solos for the opening, ending, and bridges to bring the Cat Stevens song length to about 3:20.

Per the wikipedia entry for Morning Has Broken:

Stevens was waiting for a time slot in a recording studio and heard Wakeman recording the piano parts, which originally were to be part of a different composition, and asked if he could include them on his upcoming album. Wakeman ultimately agreed, and agreed to a fee of £10, presumably a perfunctory amount so that it technically could be a paid contract.

Not only was Wakeman left off of the album credits, but apparently the £10 fee was not paid. (Stevens apparently made good on the £10 years later).
Occasionally a composer would write and set an original chorale tune. This one by Schumann (Album for the Young) is a good example. I've played it during church services.

https://youtu.be/Cri8jWrM8qM
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums