Piano World Home Page
One of the most skilled Youtubers around, Cateen, just uploaded a most superlative performance of the famous Hungarian Rhapsody #2, most notably with his own cadenza that is full of spirit and bombast. Been a while since I was completely amazed by someone's playing of this piece. In addition to being a formidable concert pianist in his own right, he also arranges music in a variety of genres with great skill.
Thoroughly enjoyable. Such amazing talent. Thanks so much for sharing!
I have watched many of his other videos. This one is extremely well done in terms of showing the cartoon animation and shadows of Cateen dancing and playing. His virtuosity is terrific and perfectly suited for this piece. Even more amazing since his view of the keyboard is blocked some of the time haha. I thought his cadenza was a lot of fun although I think it's length(like Hamelin's cadenza) is too long for the piece. It will be interesting to see how many views this video gets. I think the number will be astronomically high.
Stupendously talented... But while he is extremely talented in arranging/composing this cadenza, I found it too long - it completely threw the balance of the piece off kilter for me. I would much rather he just arrange it as a standalone piece as a "Paraphrase on Liszts HR2", or "Liszt Variations". But other than the length of the cadenza, his playing is wonderful.
Nice video. I also think that the cadenza is way too long and also too stylistically different. It is almost as if he combined 2 different pieces together.
Amazing! I enjoyed it, thank you for sharing.

In this context, I would like to share with you my cadenza for the same work. The audio quality is not exactly the best, but it's a live performance (around five years ago) caught with a recorder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rifDMTOa24g

It is so interesting to hear so many different renditions of practically the same material, Liszt's work is so rewarding and inspiring!
I have to confess that Tom and Jerry episode was one of the "things" that inspired me to be interested classical piano music growing up. The Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 is on my bucket list of pieces I want to try before I leave this earth.
Originally Posted by dinoimeri-music
Amazing! I enjoyed it, thank you for sharing.

In this context, I would like to share with you my cadenza for the same work. The audio quality is not exactly the best, but it's a live performance (around five years ago) caught with a recorder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rifDMTOa24g

It is so interesting to hear so many different renditions of practically the same ]material, Liszt's work is so rewarding and inspiring!
Great playing and good cadenza of an appropriate length.

t
Thank you, dear pianoloverus!
I've been following Hayato Sumino aka Cateen for sometime. A superlative player both technically and artistically. I found his playing on the famous Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No 2 for PINA, to be up with the very finest interpretations I've ever heard as regards all the previous greats to have recorded this wonderful work.
What is even MORE amazing is Cateen's (i.e., Hayato Sumino) pianistic prowess on this TOY piano:

© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums