Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Opus27 Bar 4 Trill Advice:Mozart Sonata 16 KV545 - 09/19/20 08:06 PM
Hello everyone,

The pandemic has driven me back to the classics at the piano. Never touched Mozart's pieces before (focused on Beethoven and Bach with teachers) and I'm in need of some trill advice as I used to struggle with Bach's pieces as well on trill interpretation. The internet is great for a lot of things, but there are soo many different opinions and suggested trill notes printed, I'm just concerned I'm going to drill in something that is not the "correct" way.

In Mozart's Sonata 16, bar 4 trill, Can someone give me advice on if I'm doing this trill correctly?I tend to be a "purest" of playing it as Mozart "would" have..so I'm reading articles that at the time this piece was composed it would have been to start at the upper note for this trill...(or in this case G). Starting with the upper note, it shows 4 32nd notes of (GFGF) EFE.

But it didn't sound like most performance online. Then I realized....since there is a G note prior to the Trill...are you supposed to hold that note and connect them? Essentially you are then starting at G----(FGF) EFE.

So confused....right now i'm playing Measure 4 as such: G (GFGF) EFE with the 4 notes in parentheses as 32nd notes. But I'm essentially hit the G and then hitting the G again to start the trill.

Please help....

Thanks,

Bill
There is no hard and fast rule with regards to which note to start on trills in Classical piano pieces.

Personally, I start trills on the upper note unless the trill is preceded by that note (as here), in which case I start the trill on the lower note. Here, it would be (after the G) FGFGFEFE, which is also the way most concert pianists play it.
In this case to keep the melodic line flowing, i would start on F. You can do FGFGF if you can manage to execute in the tempo or just FGF if it is too difficult. The tied G would be a pralltriller, at the time of Mozart it was less and less used.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums