Piano World Home Page
Posted By: ShiroKuro Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers? - 02/28/20 09:12 PM
There is a particular score that I really want and can't find it anywhere else, but it's available for sale on Tunescribers.com. I had never heard of them before. Has anyone ever purchased from them? Are they legit??

TIA!!
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers? - 02/28/20 10:11 PM
I did, and I was extremely satisfied. In fact, I felt sorry for whoever it is who does the work, because in view of the modest cost, it seemed like those folks couldn't be paid at any high rate. It made me sort of hope it's almost entirely automated, but on the other hand that would mean they don't have to employ that many real people at all.

The thing they sent me had a couple of obvious mistakes, probably just oversights, the music version of "typos." But that was nothing compared to the unbelievable great things about what they did, including that in a couple of instances, I think they actually corrected what the guy played!! -- i.e. realized that what he played probably wasn't exactly what he meant to play, and I agreed with it.

(BTW, "that guy" was Rubinstein.) ha

I recommend them highly. Yes, totally legit, and beyond legit. It's terrific.
Also: The communication was excellent.
Oh ok, good! Thanks for posting this!

If I do end up purchasing this score, I'll come back here and post an update!
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers? - 02/28/20 11:12 PM
Please do! I'll be interested to hear if they do as great a job on yours as they did on mine.
I'm glad to be able to give them a well-deserved plug.

And, I'll take the opportunity to talk a little about what my thing was:
Rubinstein's cadenza for the 1st movement of Mozart's C major Concerto, K. 467.

That's one of the concerti for which we don't have one by Mozart. I hoped there would be one by Beethoven, although I don't 'love' his Mozart cadenzas that I knew of, and there isn't one from him either.

I looked and listened to everyone's cadenza that I could get my eyes or ears on. There must have been a couple dozen of them, including by several highly noted pianists.

It's hard to make up a Mozart cadenza. grin
There are so many challenges to it, the main one of course being, who can come close to matching this piece that Mozart wrote??
And then there's also that it's 'supposed to' have certain known aspects, yet not be too clichéd. Y'know -- like, it's supposed to have various of the piece's motifs in it, but not exactly the same, and there are supposed to be some harmonic modulations, perhaps one or two of them being strange and unexpected, but how unexpected can they be, since they're expected? Plus, when you do those things, you'll obviously be mimicking Mozart's own cadenzas and hundreds of other people's cadenzas, and you want to avoid mimicking them too much, but if you try to be too original, you'll probably fall on your face, at least to some extent, because, again, who can match Mozart? And, similarly to the expectation of unexpected harmonic shifts, you 'have to' have some 'unexpected' shifts of dynamics and mood, from sprightly to meditative -- and all the same traps apply as with the modulations. And then of course you have to lead up to the final trill, preferably in some reasonably familiar way, but you don't want that to be just a cliché either.....
It's an impossible task.

The great majority of cadenzas that I came across, I absolutely hated. Mostly it was that the "surprise" stuff just didn't work (for me); either it was too extreme and felt contrived, or it just pretended to be creative and interesting but was like just nothing. Also very often they seemed to overuse neat figures from the piece -- yeah, I get it, that was great where Mozart had it, but enough already -- you're just re-doing it and re-doing it, but of course you're doing it worse than he did it; not good with such a hard act to follow.

Rubinstein's cadenza was the one I liked best, by far. Sure, it had some of those pitfalls, especially the latter one. But, for me it really really worked, mainly because it was one of the simplest ones -- it doesn't over-try or over-reach -- and also because it's so much in the way of how Rubinstein just played; this was pure Rubinstein, and it totally matches his overall approach to the piece, so it's a coherent part of the whole.

At first I tried transcribing it myself, but saw how hard it was, so I looked online to see if there was some transcribing service, and was thrilled to find something like Tunescribers.

BTW, when I pulled out my score of the piece, which I hadn't looked at in over 30 years, I was surprised to see that I had written some fingerings, which meant I had worked on the piece before, which I didn't remember.
What I didn't remember even more: There was a set of sheets of music paper stuck in it, with a cadenza by me.
How good is it??
I'd estimate that in an undergrad music course, it might have gotten a C+. ha
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I did, and I was extremely satisfied. In fact, I felt sorry for whoever it is who does the work, because in view of the modest cost, it seemed like those folks couldn't be paid at any high rate. It made me sort of hope it's almost entirely automated, but on the other hand that would mean they don't have to employ that many real people at all.

I wondered about that too. I paid about $40 for a transcription of about 90 seconds of intermediate piano music, and I thought that was a fantastic bargain. On the other hand, after the transcribe something, it goes on their website to sell at ten bucks a pop as many times as they like, so they'll make alot more off it than my $40 alone. Hopefully, the transcribers are paid a decent rate, and given all the tolls they need to make it as easy as possible.
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
[On the other hand, after the transcribe something, it goes on their website to sell at ten bucks a pop as many times as they like, so they'll make alot more off it than my $40 alone.

I wondered if that was how that works. If I paid $100 for a score, and then it was on sale for someone else to buy it for $10, I might not be too happy about that! :P

Anyway, given that people at PW have had good experiences with them, I just bought the score I wanted ($9.99 -10% discount) since they already had in their list of "songs for sale." So obviously I didn't actually use their transcription service. Although, now that I know about them, I may do that in the future, despite the expense, it's a great service. I wonder if they do violin parts....

Anyway, I'm getting ready to go work on the music now, the first page is very accurate, if the other 4 pages are as well, then I will be very happy! smile
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

I wondered if that was how that works. If I paid $100 for a score, and then it was on sale for someone else to buy it for $10, I might not be too happy about that! :P

Ha, well, that's one way of looking at it. On the other hand, I only paid $40 for a service that might otherwise have cost me a heck of a lot more if I were just buying it for myself. If others can then enjoy the same sheet music at a bargain price, then more power to them!
The score I bought today was 5 pages long, it's just under 4 minutes long... since they charge $25/minute, that's a $100 score. Yikes!
The score I bought today was 5 pages long, it's just under 4 minutes long... since they charge $25/minute, that's a $100 score. Yikes!

Yep, but that's still a bargain, when you think about how incredibly skilled the labor is, and how many hours it must take to transcribe per minute of music.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers? - 02/29/20 02:00 AM
Yep, but that's still a bargain, when you think about how incredibly skilled the labor is, and how many hours it must take to transcribe per minute of music.

YES.

For me to finish doing it myself instead, I'd guess it would have been probably about 20 hours of work, and a month stay in a mental rehab hospital.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers? - 02/29/20 03:02 AM
Their rates are very good, considering the level of skill it takes.

YES.

For me to finish doing it myself instead, I'd guess it would have been probably about 20 hours of work, and a month stay in a mental rehab hospital.

I'm not saying it should be cheaper, or that it doesn't require incredible skill. But just that $100 for the score for one piece of music is a lot of money for me, and I would feel frustrated if I paid $100 for a score, and then that same score popped up for sale so that other people could buy it for $10... Which, in retrospect, is probably exactly how the score I bought yesterday came to be.

They should offer a wish-list function, where you could sign up as wanting a particular score, then if 9 other people signed up for the same score, everyone would pay $10 and the score could be made at that point. The company could continue selling the score, thus continuing to profit...

/wishfulthinking
[quote=TheophilusCarter]Yep, but that's still a bargain, when you think about how incredibly skilled the labor is, and how many hours it must take to transcribe per minute of music.

YES.

I'm not saying it should be cheaper, or that it doesn't require incredible skill. But just that $100 for the score for one piece of music is a lot of money for me, and I would feel frustrated if I paid $100 for a score, and then that same score popped up for sale so that other people could buy it for $10... Which, in retrospect, is probably exactly how the score I bought yesterday came to be. ETA: the person who pays $100 for a score is basically subsidizing the other musicians....

They should offer a wish-list function, where you could sign up as wanting a particular score, then if 9 other people signed up for the same score, everyone would pay $10 and the score could be made at that point. The company could continue selling the score, thus continuing to profit...

/wishfulthinking

Oops, sorry for the weird double post (I don't actually know how that happened) and now I can't delete the duplicate... :P
BTW, I haven't played through to the end yet, but based on listening to the original recording and reading along, I think it's super accurate. thumb
I have bought the transcriptions for two pieces from several on line transcribers over the years. These were the pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXDuBKvQ8-U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7kKJ7IIog
Oops, sorry for the weird double post (I don't actually know how that happened) and now I can't delete the duplicate... :P

What piece did you get?
Anyone interested in sharing the cost for this piece?

Bill Charlap:Pure Imagination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjHwdzOmXg
Posted By: BruceD Re: Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers? - 02/29/20 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

That's a fine arrangement. I am curious to know: How would copyright laws apply to making copies available to the public of transcriptions that the transcriber has not made public?

Regards,
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

That's a fine arrangement. I am curious to know: How would copyright laws apply to making copies available to the public of transcriptions that the transcriber has not made public?

Regards,
I don't know but it's possible that it's not kosher. I'm quite sure that offering it for sale on the internet would be illegal, but sharing it with a few people might not be a problem. There are quite a few sites where people share music scores for free but that doesn't mean it's legal.
Posted By: BruceD Re: Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers? - 02/29/20 06:34 PM
I wonder if this partly answers my question:

From a transcription on Tunescribers website:

"This music has been transcribed as a work for hire by Tunescribers.com and is for the private, non-commercial use of our customers. No license for this music is provided by Tunescribers.com. This music may not be resold, published, distributed, publicly performed, broadcast, or otherwise used in a violation of U.S. or international copyright law."

Still, I wonder about the original arranger's response to his/her transcription being taken off Youtube or elsewhere and sold.

Regards,
Originally Posted by BruceD
I wonder if this partly answers my question:

From a transcription on Tunescribers website:

"This music has been transcribed as a work for hire by Tunescribers.com and is for the private, non-commercial use of our customers. No license for this music is provided by Tunescribers.com. This music may not be resold, published, distributed, publicly performed, broadcast, or otherwise used in a violation of U.S. or international copyright law."

The score I bought has that printed at the top of the first page. I read that to mean that they don't want people to pool their money and buy a score and then share it amongst themselves. (That would be "distributing" would it not?)

Still, I wonder about the original arranger's response to his/her transcription being taken off Youtube or elsewhere and sold.

This is the bigger issue in my mind... Now that I've already bought it, I feel a bit conflicted.... I bought the score for September Song by Alexis Ffrench (see below). This is a pianist (currently living and active, from the UK I believe) who records his own original compositions and also has (presumably official versions of) sheet music for sale on the main sites (MusicNotes.com and SheetMusicDirect.com). But this one song was not available, and googling around led me to Tunescribers.

Given that he sells his scores through MusicNotes etc., I would guess that the case could be made that having this score available on Tunescribers infringes on his ownership of the music. Anyway, I felt guilty for buying the score from Tunescribers, so I also bought his full album from iTunes, so at least some of my money is going to him! whome

Here's the song:

BTW I love that version of Pure Imagination. There are a fair amount of jazz tunes I'd love to have the score for (Joey Alexander comes to mind) but I'm not shelling out $100 for any of those pieces unless I know I can actually play them! :P
BTW I love that version of Pure Imagination. There are a fair amount of jazz tunes I'd love to have the score for (Joey Alexander comes to mind) but I'm not shelling out $100 for any of those pieces unless I know I can actually play them! :P
The score for Joey Alexander's version of Over the Rainbow is readily available for around $10 (or maybe even free) on the internet.

If you like Pure Imagination there are two very nice versions available in that price range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILNML7Ppnjs

Available here:
https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmus...arles_szczepanek&utm_medium=campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjgZsoyAuc
I don't remember where I bought the second one but it was around $10.

I combined the two arrangements into one I like.
I guess if two people wanted to share the cost of a score one could bu7 it for the full transcription price and the other buy it for the $10 price for previously done transcriptions. So if the original cost $100 and the second person paid $10 that would be $55 each.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers? - 02/29/20 09:28 PM
BTW, mine was 5 pages, about 2½ minutes, and cost something like $57.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums