Piano World Home Page

Ravel: your favorite artist?

Posted By: drcha

Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/13/19 09:01 PM

Hi,

For a friend, I'm asked to identify a pianist who has recorded the complete solo works of Ravel and is highly regarded for their interpretations of his music. Whom do you recommend?

Kindly don't give me a lecture about what an imperfect approach this is to purchasing recordings. I may agree with you, but I'm just the messenger.

Thank you.
Posted By: bennevis

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/13/19 09:44 PM

They have to be French of course. Quite a few to choose from.

My favorites are Jean-Yves Thibaudet and Jean-Efflam Bavouzet.

Why is this an imperfect approach to purchasing recordings? I'm always right......... smirk
Posted By: argerichfan

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/13/19 10:15 PM

Samson François. My piano teacher at uni was particularly fond of his Ravel, and certainly there is a lot to savor in his recording of the complete works. IMHO I haven't heard a better Ravel D major concerto.

He could be a bit unkempt at times (his Liszt A major is nowhere near as tidy as Richter), but he brings such a 'bon vivant' approach that one can't help getting swept up in the spontaneity of it all. He made his debut -do not recall where- with Prokofiev 5 (an interesting choice), and if it was anything like his recording, that must have been quite a concert. Alas, he had demons to deal with, and we lost him too soon.

Perlemuter is admired by many -and I wish I could play that well at his age- but I don't find much of interest. My local classical station occasionally plays recordings of Perlemuter.
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/13/19 11:51 PM

My favorite is also Jean-Yves Thibaudet. I love the tones he brings out.
Posted By: Sidokar

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/14/19 12:27 AM

I prefer the set by Alexandre Tharaud. It is very fluid and expressive. But at the end choosing a version is quite personal so difficult to advise when one knows nothing of the person. There are a couple of other recordings besides the excellent ones already mentionned: JP Collard (poor recording quality) and Bertrand Chamoyou. Also an old set by Walter Gieseking but I prefer the newer versions.
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/14/19 02:00 AM

What I think is so amazing about Ravel is that, except for a handful of short and rarely played pieces, he wrote only eight works for solo piano (Pavane for a Dead Princess. Jeux d'eau, Miroirs, Sonatine, Le Tombeau de Couperin, Valses Nobles et Sentimentales, Gaspard de la Nuit, La Valse) but they are each so masterful that his reputation as a composer of piano music is very high.
Posted By: scriabinfanatic

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/14/19 04:03 AM

Entremont.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/14/19 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
What I think is so amazing about Ravel is that, except for a handful of short and rarely played pieces, he wrote only eight works for solo piano (Pavane for a Dead Princess. Jeux d'eau, Miroirs, Sonatine, Le Tombeau de Couperin, Valses Nobles et Sentimentales, Gaspard de la Nuit, La Valse) but they are each so masterful that his reputation as a composer of piano music is very high.

I think the Minuet Antique is played often enough to be included in that list, as well. Most of his piano works exist in orchestral versions as well, and it is not always certain which came first.
Posted By: PianoYos

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/14/19 02:30 PM

What's everyone's opinion of Casadesus?
Posted By: AaronSF

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/14/19 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by bennevis
They have to be French of course. Quite a few to choose from.

My favorites are Jean-Yves Thibaudet and Jean-Efflam Bavouzet.

Why is this an imperfect approach to purchasing recordings? I'm always right......... smirk

I concur. I'd just mention that I also am very fond of Martha Argerich's interpretation of the Concerto in G, recorded with Abbado on DG.
Posted By: Sidokar

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/14/19 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by PianoYos

He was a great pianist. Wonderful Beethoven violin/piano sonatas full set with Zino Francescatti. His interpretation is typical french classic old school. Clear, well articulated. The recording is old though so sound quality is average but very well done. Modern versions emphasize better the harmonic complexity of these pieces but I think everyone should listen at least once for the architectural consistency and the classic style.
Posted By: Tim Adrianson

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/14/19 09:19 PM

A couple of pianists not yet mentioned -- Pascal Roge and Eric Himy. Both IMO have a great sense of French style.
Posted By: rmns2bseen

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/14/19 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by PianoYos

Unfortunately I've never heard his recordings of Ravel -- I'll have to look for them. But I think his Mozart performances may be the best ever recorded.
Posted By: Sweelinck

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/15/19 07:45 AM

Surely, Emil Gilels is part of the discussion, though not sure if he recorded the complete works. Also Walter Gieseking, who did record the complete works.
Posted By: kbrod1

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/15/19 06:34 PM

I've enjoyed Bertrand Chamoyou aa mentioned above. My favorite in the concerto is Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli.
Posted By: BeeZee4

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/15/19 07:41 PM

1. Jean Yves Thibaudet
2. Alexandre Tharaud
3. Jean Phillipe Collard (I have his complete on LP's only, in wonderful EMI Angel sound)

Tharaud's "Una Barque sur la Ocean" is superb.
For non-French pianists, check out Angela Hewitt's traversal on Hyperion.
Posted By: DanS

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/15/19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
A couple of pianists not yet mentioned -- Pascal Roge and Eric Himy. Both IMO have a great sense of French style.

+1 for Pascal Roge.
Posted By: florhof

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/18/19 07:31 AM

In the late 70s, I was lucky enough to hear Arturo Benedetti Michalangeli playing Gaspard de la Nuit live. It was so incredibly perfect and refined - I don't think I have experienced anything like this ever since.
Posted By: Orange Soda King

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/18/19 03:59 PM

André Laplante!
Posted By: Opus_Maximus

Re: Ravel: your favorite artist? - 07/23/19 06:57 AM

For me, it's a barely known, absolutely amazing pianist named Francois-Joel Thiollier who records for Naxos. Also recorded many of Debussy's piano work.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums