Jorg Demus RIP

Posted By: pianoloverus

Jorg Demus RIP - 05/16/19 04:39 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/15/arts/jorg-demus-dead.html

He made 350 recordings!
Posted By: Mark_C

Re: Jorg Demus RIP - 05/16/19 07:05 PM

Sorry to hear it.
In my earliest days of flipping through piano records at the record stores, he was one of the main names I would come across. There were perhaps a few dozen pianists who recorded frequently on the major labels, many of them now too forgotten. Some others: Guiomar Novaes, Tamar Vasary, Fernando Valenti (oops, he was harpsichord), Leonard Pennario.
I once heard him in a 4-hand/2-piano concert with Paul Badura-Skoda, who was another of those pianists. They seemed to be having a good time up there, as well they should have. As I remember, they played some Schubert (would be hard to avoid in such a concert!) and their main piece was Mozart's Sonata for 2 pianos.
Posted By: argerichfan

Re: Jorg Demus RIP - 05/17/19 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Sorry to hear it.
I once heard him in a 4-hand/2-piano concert with Paul Badura-Skoda, who was another of those pianists. They seemed to be having a good time up there, as well they should have.

How interesting you mention this! My piano teacher at uni reminisced about them -having apparently heard them in Vienna- and he said they were just wonderful. He recalled a terrific Faschingsschwank aus Wien from Demus. (I think he recorded it?)
Posted By: johnstaf

Re: Jorg Demus RIP - 05/17/19 08:14 PM

He was a wonderful pianist. I particularly love his Schumann.
Posted By: currawong

Re: Jorg Demus RIP - 05/18/19 05:28 AM

And not forgetting his Mozart and Schubert with singers such as Elly Ameling. Their Schubertiade LP was a revelation to me in the early 1970s.
Posted By: Carey

Re: Jorg Demus RIP - 05/18/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by argerichfan
How interesting you mention this! My piano teacher at uni reminisced about them -having apparently heard them in Vienna- and he said they were just wonderful. He recalled a terrific Faschingsschwank aus Wien from Demus. (I think he recorded it?)

Here it is !!

https://youtu.be/kf1TEFbTeWg
© 2020 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums