Piano World Home Page

Dr Seuss trend

Posted By: charleslang

Dr Seuss trend - 03/21/19 07:47 PM

Pianists play piano lately: on a beach, on an ice floe, suspended from a crane, on top of a skyscraper (Petrucciani), on the rear of a speeding speed boat (Peter Bence). Anyone know of more? Or ideas for more? I think maybe playing in one of those zero gravity diving planes would be neat. Also I do have one other idea I want to keep secret in case I want to do it myself.
Posted By: johnstaf

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/21/19 08:39 PM

In zero gravity your action wouldn't work...

grin

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/21/19 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by johnstaf

grin

Argh! I hadn’t thought of that. Very good point.

I’d have to rig something with springs or rubber bands.
Posted By: bennevis

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/21/19 10:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCQyhocSFXQ

Having climbed Everest, I can attest that its summit would not hold a piano (even if you cleaned it of all those prayer flags), but its South Col (25,938 ft/7,906m) has more than enough level rocky space to comfortably accommodate a truckload of concert grands.

But the hapless pianist would need supplementary oxygen to play anything more strenuous than Islamey wink , though because of the thin air, there's little air resistance, so the keys (and his hands) would fly at lightning speed.......

But we still haven't solved the problem of how to get the piano up there - helicopters have a ceiling of around 6,000m.
Posted By: Morodiene

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/22/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bennevis

But we still haven't solved the problem of how to get the piano up there - helicopters have a ceiling of around 6,000m.

Amazon drones?
Posted By: toyboy

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/23/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by johnstaf

grin

Would a digital piano work?
Posted By: Groove On

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/23/19 03:33 AM

In zero-g you’d need a spring-loaded keyboard or perhaps an action with opposable magnets. Anything relying on a weighted-hammer action would not work well. And forget using an acoustic piano, digital would be the way to go.

Interestingly, the Roland Go Piano would work pretty well in zero-g - it’s got a spring loaded action and it’s fairly compact and light. So in the case of zero-g it’s a pretty good “travel” piano. A keytar would be another option.

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/23/19 03:44 AM

And if you nailed it all down, you’d probably want to velcro your butt to the bench to keep your arms and legs free for playing.

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/23/19 03:50 AM

Here’s the keyboard on the ISS.

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/23/19 03:54 AM

And anything dramatic just sounds cooler in space ...

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/23/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Groove On
And anything dramatic just sounds cooler in space ...

LOL. Also the opposite is true: space seems cooler with anything that sounds dramatic.

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/23/19 04:09 PM

And forget using an acoustic piano, digital would be the way to go.

I disagree; I think the audacity of having an acoustic floating around would be part of the stunt. But I could understand using a “fake” acoustic with a digital inside (that could be a lot lighter, and less dangerous for one thing).

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/23/19 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by charleslang
And forget using an acoustic piano, digital would be the way to go.
I disagree; I think the audacity of having an acoustic floating around would be part of the stunt.

A floating acoustic would be pretty cool; but the hammers won’t work correctly in zero-g. Without gravity the hammers won’t reset back to their start positions, they’ll all just float at some random position - same problem with the keys.

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/23/19 05:58 PM

Though this would be a great opportunity to re-vitalize the forums. We can resurrect old dead-horse topics by adding “... in space” and give us something to discuss. For example:

What’s the optimal pivot length for keys ... in space.
Worth it to do Hanon or Czerny ... in space.
How do I find a good teacher ... in space.

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/27/19 03:24 PM

“First grand piano on the moon”. That’s one half step for Ligeti, one giant leap for stride.
Posted By: KevinM

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/27/19 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by charleslang
“First grand piano on the moon”. That’s one half step for Ligeti, one giant leap for stride.

In space no one can hear your strings vibrate.
Posted By: TwoSnowflakes

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/27/19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by bennevis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCQyhocSFXQ

Having climbed Everest, I can attest that its summit would not hold a piano (even if you cleaned it of all those prayer flags), but its South Col (25,938 ft/7,906m) has more than enough level rocky space to comfortably accommodate a truckload of concert grands.

But the hapless pianist would need supplementary oxygen to play anything more strenuous than Islamey wink , though because of the thin air, there's little air resistance, so the keys (and his hands) would fly at lightning speed.......

With those oxygen levels, you can hallucinate yourself as many concert grands as you want. And play Islamey on all of them.

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/27/19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes

With those oxygen levels, you can hallucinate yourself as many concert grands as you want. And play Islamey on all of them.

I had a pleasant nightmare wink on the South Col during my night spent up there, after descending from the top.

I dreamt I was performing the Hammerklavier (which I've never learnt) in Carnegie Hall (where I've never been), and was almost suffocating in the strenuous fugue. I just couldn't get enough air into my lungs, and was gasping for breath while trying to keep playing.

Then I woke up, and discovered........I really was suffocating: my oxygen mask had slipped off my face and I was having to breath in thin air cry.
Posted By: justyna_ewa

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/27/19 10:31 PM

This week I heard about different pracitces of piano destruction for "artistic" reasons, one of them was to drown the grand in the swimming pool, while playing any of the pieces by Liszt. I don't remember the name of the conceptual artist though...

Similar concept here...

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/drowning-the-piano-a-marriage-of-music-and-art-1.529142

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/27/19 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by justyna_ewa
This week I heard about different pracitces of piano destruction for "artistic" reasons,

This great French pianist apparently went out with a bang some years ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3044844.stm

This was after his destruction of his pianos and his concert attire. Not bad for a pianist who has no piano to practice on, and no clothes to wear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORjufvVG5So

He's reportedly retiring for a second time, though not in flames this time.

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/28/19 04:06 PM

I have actually had a tuning job on one of the annual Great American Piano Drop pianos in Winters, CA. There is a “final concert” held outdoors before they are dropped. (That’s after they are played outdoors in a park all summer.)

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/28/19 06:37 PM

I don't know, maybe I have some psychological issues about piano, but I am almost physically in pain when I see such things. I know a passionate technician, pianist, and organist, who is also a collector of old historical instruments. He is always very sad about how the owners treat instruments by leaving them in cellars, garages and other places like this. The pianos deteriorate, and can no longer be considered musical instruments. On the one hand I understand it would be economically insane to restore them, but on the other hand, for me they are like living creatures. The other thing is that in my country there are relatively few pianos left after all historical troubles of XIXth and XXth century, so smashing pianos as a kind of conceptual art had no fertile ground for growth. Sorry for off topic.
Posted By: BruceD

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/28/19 08:09 PM

I read this article from beginning to end and I still don't understand the "artistic" principle behind it, yet I'd like to think that Leif Ove Andsnes has a great artistic sense, but greater than mine?

Slather paint on your bicycle tires and ride back and forth over a canvas, and you have a work of art worth (tens of?) thousands of dollars.
If you're not too stable on a bicycle, paint a straight line in black across a white canvas and call it "Study No. Seven" and you have another masterpiece.
And if that still doesn't work, become an art critic who writes: "That line of limitless infinity across the blanched and agonizing soul of the universe is a metaphor of the human struggle to get beyond itself and to become one with the ethos." (or is that ether?) Who cares, it's all so profoundly "meaningful"!

If I still had a day job, should I give it up? smile

Regards,

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/28/19 08:41 PM

BruceD, it was exactly my impression on the value of such artistic endavours... Even the author of the conference presentation on these postmodern practices in performative art contrasted these artists with a composer whose work and life was discussed earlier during the session, and who was not that much interested in making publicity and career, as in expressing important human values. He stated that as the world gets worse, the music reflects this proces by becoming worse as well. For him the only way to react to this process was to learn from old masters. The composer was Roman Maciejewski. Sorry again, because this thread drifts toward the dispute on the value of modern art.
Posted By: WhoDwaldi

Re: Dr Seuss trend - 03/28/19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by BruceD

I read this article from beginning to end and I still don't understand the "artistic" principle behind it, yet I'd like to think that Leif Ove Andsnes has a great artistic sense, but greater than mine?

The string people have gotten in on this performance art, too. 🎻🙄😁

Let's blame Toscanini's getting mad and destroying his watch during a rehearsal as the start of all this. 🙄🤣

© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums