Piano World Home Page

Liszt's cylinder recording???

Posted By: AAC127

Liszt's cylinder recording??? - 03/10/19 02:22 PM

Upon reading through Alan Walker's "Franz Liszt: The man and his music" I came across the following footnote on page 29:
Rumours have long circulated concerning a cylinder recording - only to be mentioned in whispers! - which Liszt is supposed to have made in 1885.

Does anyone know anything more about this alleged recording? Or is it all just rumours? I can't help but feel a tad excited just reading about a possible recording by Liszt himself...
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: Liszt's cylinder recording??? - 03/10/19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by AAC127
Upon reading through Alan Walker's "Franz Liszt: The man and his music" I came across the following footnote on page 29:
Rumours have long circulated concerning a cylinder recording - only to be mentioned in whispers! - which Liszt is supposed to have made in 1885.

Does anyone know anything more about this alleged recording? Or is it all just rumours? I can't help but feel a tad excited just reading about a possible recording by Liszt himself...

All of my extensive research on Liszt seems to point to "just rumors". But one can always hold out some hope grin
Posted By: WhoDwaldi

Re: Liszt's cylinder recording??? - 03/10/19 04:51 PM

As for famous composer/pianist recordings: there IS a Brahms recording. Maybe. This is a very interesting video which counters some of the "can't be Brahms 'cause he wouldn't play that stupid" criticism of it:

The rumored Liszt recording is mainly an invitation for internet trolls to rickroll. I would never do that, of course.

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
Posted By: kbrod1

Re: Liszt's cylinder recording??? - 03/11/19 12:07 AM

This is not true and just a false rumor. Even if it existed, Liszt was way past his prime and it wouldn't be in any way indicative of his true playing. That said, what is real is that Edison made a cylinder of Josef Hofmann when he was a child but alas it was lost.
© 2020 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums