Piano World Home Page

PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition

Posted By: pianoloverus

PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/25/18 09:47 PM

Twenty year old Turkish pianist and PianoWorld member Can Cakmur(Pronounced: Djahn Tchakmur) has just won the gold medal and special chamber music prize at the Hamamatsu Piano Competition. He is giving the winners recital today although I don't know what time it is(can someone find out and post it?).

Sometime in the past year he also won the Scottish International Piano Competition. http://www.cancakmur.com/sipc-home.html

PLEASE see if you can find the videos of some of his performances from this competition. I saw his thrilling performance of the Liszt Concerto No.1 but cannot seem to find it now. (If anyone finds this can you please post the link?) He seemed so happy at the very end and almost slammed his fist down on the piano in his excitement.

CONGRATULATIONS CAN CAKMUR!!

Here are some links to articles, pictures, and videos:

Article about the competition
https://m-festival.biz/en/5201

Some FaceBook photos of the competition
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...10156778195273674&type=3&theater

Link to the Hamamatsu Competition
http://www.hipic.jp/en/

Can's competition rep listing
http://www.hipic.jp/en/competitors/detail.php?id=10

Can's website
http://www.cancakmur.com/

Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/25/18 09:50 PM

Got to love it when a member here does so well. Congratulations to Can Cakmur!!
Posted By: BDB

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/25/18 09:52 PM

He certainly is a fine pianist.
Posted By: Mark_C

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/25/18 10:16 PM

Big congratulations to Can, and thanks for drawing it to our attention.
(And, for telling us how to say the name!! I didn't have any idea.)

I had thought from the videos that he shared with us that he is a great and unusual talent, but y'know, we never know if our own impressions are widely shared. I'm thrilled to know that Can is getting this kind of wide and 'official' recognition.

I wasn't familiar with this competition. I see that it has a wiki page, and that the previous winners have included Rafal Blechacz, Alexander Gavrylyuk, Alessio Bax, Victor Liadov, and Sergei Babayan. This is a very major thing. It looks like we probably have a great rising star in our midst!

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/25/18 10:40 PM

......I enjoyed looking back over some of Can's early posts (which at first were done by his dad). His playing started being posted here when he was 6 or 7, and we were all immediately impressed. The earliest posted recordings aren't still available, but here's a thread from when he was 13, with a link to a Scarlatti recording that's extraordinary for someone of any age:
Scarlatti Sonata in D minor, K. 141
Posted By: Carey

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_C
......I enjoyed looking back over some of Can's early posts (which at first were done by his dad). His playing started being posted here when he was 6 or 7, and we were all immediately impressed. The earliest posted recordings aren't still available, but here's a thread from when he was 13, with a link to a Scarlatti recording that's extraordinary for someone of any age:
Scarlatti Sonata in D minor, K. 141
Mark - thanks for resurrecting the old thread. Certainly brought back memories. Can has made steady progress over the past seven years, and I've appreciated his willingness to share his wonderful recordings with us. I always felt he was destined to accomplish great things, and I'm thrilled about his most recent achievement.
Posted By: FarmGirl

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 12:51 AM

Congratulations! Hamamatsu is a very well known competition. I failed to recognize that it was Can who won because the pronunciation of his name written in a Japanese phonetic was very different. I did think that the picture looked very familiar.

For those of you not familiar with the town, Hamamatsu is where Yamaha and Kawai started. Roland and Suzuki too. Mr. Yamaha was born 1851 and employ Mr Kawai when he started his company. Mr. Kawai was 10 years old kid genius and promoted rapidly. It was only after Mr. Yamaha's death Mr. Kawai left the firm and created his own. In short, Hamamatsu is one heck of music town in Japan.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 02:48 AM

Congrats Can Cakmur!
Posted By: ElaineAllegro

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 06:40 AM

Sending along more congratulations to Can Cakmur! Thank you for sharing your musical progress with PW over the years.

Here's some of the info requested by previous posters:

Prizewinners' Concert Rep (Can Cakmur):
F. CHOPIN Polonaise No. 7 in A flat major Op. 61 "Fantaisie"
B. BARTOK "With Drums and Pipes", "The Night's Music", "The Chase" from "Out of Doors"

Link to Can Cakmur's video from prizewinners' concert:
http://www.hipic.jp/en/streaming/vod/detail5.php?id=10

Link to his Final Stage Day 2 performance of the Liszt Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No.1 in E flat major S.124:
http://www.hipic.jp/en/streaming/vod/detail4.php?id=10

From the link below, you can access each participants' performance at each stage of the competition; click on a photo to see the pianist's repertoire and watch/listen to the video. Video on demand will be available (only) until the end of January. Enjoy! There's much to discover from this competition.
http://www.hipic.jp/en/streaming/winner/
Posted By: IosPlayer

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 11:24 AM

Congratulations, Can, from Istanbul!

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ElaineAllegro
Sending along more congratulations to Can Cakmur! Thank you for sharing your musical progress with PW over the years.

Here's some of the info requested by previous posters:
Thanks so much for those links. I was going crazy trying to find them haha. I really want to see Can's concerto performance again and watch his winners recital.
Posted By: Tim Adrianson

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 02:27 PM

Every submission that's he posted, now over many years, has such a sense of musical knowledge about it, in addition to his unquestionably considerable technique. I'm certainly not surprised that he is now positioned to WIN significant competitions -- he fully deserves it.
Posted By: Kenny Cheng

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 02:30 PM

Congratulations!
Posted By: Nikolas

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 02:45 PM

What fantastic news!
Congratulations Can!

Hopefully he will return to PW and see this thread! smile
Posted By: Orange Soda King

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 03:26 PM

Congratulations, Can! You're one of the reasons I still use Piano World!

His recent posting of Schubert's D. 960 was splendid!
Posted By: Piano*Dad

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/26/18 06:47 PM

Way cool. Congratulations, Cam!!

BTW, the pronunciation of your name offered by PL seems quite close to John or Jan.
Posted By: Hakki

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/27/18 10:35 AM

Bravo Can !!!!

Congratulations!
Posted By: TwoSnowflakes

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/28/18 02:39 AM

A huge congratulations to you! It's been a pleasure watching you grow and succeed. Thanks for sharing your gift with us!
Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/28/18 03:25 AM

Something like this was bound to happen. grin

Congratulations, Can! I really enjoy the music that comes from you!

A Can fan,
--Andy
Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/28/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Congratulations, Can! You're one of the reasons I still use Piano World!

His recent posting of Schubert's D. 960 was splendid!

Um, yes. And if anyone has not heard it, yet, it is definitely worth a listen. Pure Schubert!!! Thoughtfully realized.
Posted By: Terry Michael

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/28/18 05:06 AM

Bravo Can. I really enjoy your participation on PW. All your dedication is paying off.

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/28/18 06:21 PM

The first Facebook post from Can Cakmur about the competition. Just click translation to read it in English:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...t=a.1011356661156&type=3&theater
Posted By: wr

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 11/29/18 06:17 AM

Congratulations, Can!

We knew you had an unusual talent, and were putting in the hard work it takes to develop it. It is great that it's getting recognized in a big way. So happy for you!

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/03/18 09:29 PM

Here are some brief comments by the various prize winners of this competition. Can's comments begin around 9:45.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Vb6MP5CO9W4

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/03/18 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Here are some brief comments by the various prize winners of this competition. Can's comments begin around 9:45.

Thanks for posting it -- and more congrats to Can, for such a lovely final appearance.
Too bad that the video cuts off the rest of his Schubert slow movement, although, the thing that cuts it off is presumably his concerto performance!

Great also to see those still-pics at the end, of him being celebrated as the winner.
Posted By: jon-nyc

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/04/18 11:38 AM

Congratulations Can!
Posted By: gp84

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/07/18 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Thanks for posting it -- and more congrats to Can, for such a lovely final appearance.
Too bad that the video cuts off the rest of his Schubert slow movement, although, the thing that cuts it off is presumably his concerto performance!

Great also to see those still-pics at the end, of him being celebrated as the winner.

@ Mark_C:

OT:

(Do hope I have gotten your attention by now) ha

Just wanted to redirect you momentarily, here:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2787892/baldwin-sf-10-grand-piano.html#Post2787892

Extra note:

Back to the original topic -- great job, Can!
(Perhaps the best pianist at PW?) thumb
Posted By: CanCakmur

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/10/18 07:49 PM

Dear Pianoworld,

Apologies for my delayed response to your messages. I must say this was one of the most touching gestures I have encountered. Thank you for being with me all this time, for many, many years.

It is hard to believe what happened, obviously, and it is downright terrifying to be given such a prize. That is why I am writing only now; I wanted to wait until things settle down. Happiness comes with time and I have “come to terms” with what awaits in the following months/years and am looking forward to it very much. One asks himself/herself all sorts of questions, if the competition was well deserved, if one is ready for this and so on. But I came to realise, it matters in the end not at all. In a competition, each participant plays their heart out, and a jury hands out results. That has nothing to do with the playing part. Well, I happened to gain this accolade and I have the chance to work towards making music on the stage as a sustainable career.

Sorry for writing so long, but in such company I wanted to share some thoughts and feelings. I hope it also makes up an interesting read. Also, now that I have a lot of concerts going on, I am planning the programmes accordingly. I want to ask around here for some ideas for piano concerti. Precisely concerti that are (naturally) excellent music but also are approachable on the first hearing and are plausible for an orchestra to accept. So Furtwängler b Minor probably isn’t very logical smile. I have found some interesting stuff. Please add anything that occurs to you. Extra points for classical and early romantic concerti!!

-Schubert/Liszt Wanderer Fantasy
-Mendelssohn 2nd Concerto (why doesn’t anybody play this?!?!?!?)
-Padarewski Concerto
-Stenhammar One of the either Concerti
-Perhaps a Dussek Concerto?

I was looking very hard for a classical concerto that can stand against the usual suspects. But it is surprisingly difficult. Ferdinand Ries has some charming stuff but no way it is going to be interesting for 30 mins. same with Hummel and co. I like it very much but honestly, Chopin did the piano writing SO MUCH better. Dussek is the best of the lot so far but even he is such a far cry from any Mozart Concerto.

I am missing MANY names I am sure and I am ignorant to just as many. Looking forward to hearing from you!

And thank you very much again.
Posted By: bennevis

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/10/18 08:17 PM

A contemporary of Chopin, but sounds more Classical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPn0g-Fe598

This is more well-known but later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh3l8I-JT4Q

Also have a look at the concertos of Scharwenka - Earl Wild made a famous recording of No.1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrFVWW4RKA

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/10/18 08:56 PM

Maybe just one of the lesser played Mozart Concerti. I'm not really familiar with the ones that aren't played much, but it seems like 20-27 and 9 are played much more than 10-19.

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/10/18 09:20 PM

If I had limitless technique and limitless opportunity, I'd go for the Henselt:

Posted By: gp84

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/10/18 09:58 PM

@Mark_C:

+1 thumb

Great concerto! Fantastic recording!

Performed by none other than the now legendary pianist, Raymond Lewenthal.

He really does justice to this extraordinarily difficult work!

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/10/18 10:35 PM

I don't think it's a good idea or worth the effort to learn any concerto just because it's rarely performed unless you think it's really as great as some of the great concerti in the standard rep.

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/10/18 10:38 PM

I don't think it's a good idea or worth the effort to learn any concerto just because it's rarely performed unless you think it's really as great as some of the great concerti in the standard rep.

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/11/18 02:18 AM

For rarely performed piano concertos, I like Clara Schumann, John Field, and Hummel concertos.

And there are two Mendelssohn concertos for 2 pianos.

And I think Scriabin piano concerto is not often performed live (Maybe just my impression)?

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/11/18 02:20 AM

For rarely performed piano concertos, I like Clara Schumann, John Field, and Hummel concertos.

And there are two Mendelssohn concertos for 2 pianos.

And I think Scriabin piano concerto is not often performed live (Maybe just my impression)?
Posted By: Sibylle

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/11/18 08:58 AM

I'll mention my own favourite, which I don't see performed very often: Prokofiev's 1st.
Posted By: Orange Soda King

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/11/18 10:45 PM

Florence Price
Rautavaara 1
Hindemith
Penderecki
Saint Saens 4
Saint Saens 5
Posted By: wr

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/13/18 03:38 AM

Thinking of Classical or early Romantic stuff off the beaten path, I remembered that I have long enjoyed the Moscheles g minor (no. 3), since I first got this recording of it many years ago on LP. I just found out today that the opening tutti was shortened, though.

By the way, I love the Stenhammer concertos you mentioned, too.
Posted By: deerfield

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/14/18 09:24 AM

There are two showpieces for piano and orchestra by Mendelssohn and Chopin that are rarely heard today, but are quite delightful and sound like long lost cousins of their more famous concertos:

Mendelssohn Capriccio Brillante for Piano and Orchestra op.22

https://youtu.be/NTPCCrjCoMw

Chopin Rondo a la Krakowiak op 14

https://youtu.be/tWTlZsL_QWw

I first heard the Mendelssohn played by Rudolf Serkin on the radio a long time. I am particularly fond of the Mendelssohn piece, and it would be fantastic if it were played more often. Both pieces might work together (combined, the total time is close to half an hour, around the average length of a Mozart concerto).

Posted By: deerfield

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/14/18 10:01 AM

I forgot to add the Weber Konzertstuck op 79, which was performed somewhat frequently about sixty or seventy years ago, and there a few recordings by well known pianists:

https://youtu.be/2VgpqpT4qM4

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 12/18/18 07:19 PM

If you go to the FaceBook page for "Shigeru Kawai Piano Company" and scroll about half way down you can see an ad featuring and quoting Can as winner of the Hamamatsu Competition.

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 07/01/19 05:32 PM

On my Facebook feed today:

"Hamamatsu laureate pianist Can Çakmur’s marvelous recent CD recording from BIS has just been announced as one of the 5 best recordings of the month by the esteemed reviewer Maciej Chizynski on ResMusica, the leading classical music portal of France."
Posted By: MrKaramba

Re: PW's Can Cakmur wins the Hamamatsu Piano Competition - 07/01/19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by CanCakmur
Dear Pianoworld,

Apologies for my delayed response to your messages. I must say this was one of the most touching gestures I have encountered. Thank you for being with me all this time, for many, many years.

It is hard to believe what happened, obviously, and it is downright terrifying to be given such a prize. That is why I am writing only now; I wanted to wait until things settle down. Happiness comes with time and I have “come to terms” with what awaits in the following months/years and am looking forward to it very much. One asks himself/herself all sorts of questions, if the competition was well deserved, if one is ready for this and so on. But I came to realise, it matters in the end not at all. In a competition, each participant plays their heart out, and a jury hands out results. That has nothing to do with the playing part. Well, I happened to gain this accolade and I have the chance to work towards making music on the stage as a sustainable career.

Sorry for writing so long, but in such company I wanted to share some thoughts and feelings. I hope it also makes up an interesting read. Also, now that I have a lot of concerts going on, I am planning the programmes accordingly. I want to ask around here for some ideas for piano concerti. Precisely concerti that are (naturally) excellent music but also are approachable on the first hearing and are plausible for an orchestra to accept. So Furtwängler b Minor probably isn’t very logical smile. I have found some interesting stuff. Please add anything that occurs to you. Extra points for classical and early romantic concerti!!

-Schubert/Liszt Wanderer Fantasy
-Mendelssohn 2nd Concerto (why doesn’t anybody play this?!?!?!?)
-Padarewski Concerto
-Stenhammar One of the either Concerti
-Perhaps a Dussek Concerto?

I was looking very hard for a classical concerto that can stand against the usual suspects. But it is surprisingly difficult. Ferdinand Ries has some charming stuff but no way it is going to be interesting for 30 mins. same with Hummel and co. I like it very much but honestly, Chopin did the piano writing SO MUCH better. Dussek is the best of the lot so far but even he is such a far cry from any Mozart Concerto.

I am missing MANY names I am sure and I am ignorant to just as many. Looking forward to hearing from you!

And thank you very much again.

I know it's very late to answer, but I encourage you to look through Hyperion catalogue. They made entire series with rarely played concertos likr Paderewski, Scharwenka and so on.

And Paderewski Concerto is so beautiful. I love it.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums