Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Polyphonist Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 05:24 PM
laugh laugh laugh

Posted By: Gooddog Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 05:56 PM
We don't really know his exact birthday but he was baptized on the 17th and the 16th is the traditional day of his birth. In any event, I celebrate his life, his genius and his music, which I adore learning. I also mourn his poor health and loneliness. Thanks for creating the thread, Polyphonist.
Posted By: Cheeto717 Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 06:05 PM
I don't listen to Beethoven anymore, not after I learned he was an alien spy...
I'm going to have a piece of cake!

BTW: I have this "Dream Project" I'd love to do when I retire. (I don't have the mechanical or design skills to do it, so it's very far from reality.)

I want to make an "animatronic" Beethoven bust. It would look like a stone or plaster bust, but it would react with different facial expressions (and maybe tears!) while it "listens" to you practice or play.

Posted By: Gooddog Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Thrill Science

BTW: I have this "Dream Project" I'd love to do when I retire. (I don't have the mechanical or design skills to do it, so it's very far from reality.)

I want to make an "animatronic" Beethoven bust. It would look like a stone or plaster bust, but it would react with different facial expressions (and maybe tears!) while it "listens" to you practice or play.

That would be hilarious! My dream is to learn all 32 sonatas.
[video:youtube]iRWpny1ZWZ8[/video]
Posted By: Carey Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by gooddog
My dream is to learn all 32 sonatas.

My dream is to simply listen to all 32 sonatas. ha

In December 1970 I viewed a major exhibit at the British Museum celebrating the 200th anniversary of Beethoven's birth. The most moving display was a large lock of Beethoven's hair - apparently snipped off at the great man's death bed. Although it was under glass, I was able to get quite close to it and was overwhelmed by emotion. Whew !!

Posted By: WhoDwaldi Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 07:32 PM

When Victor Borge was on the old Muppet Show during the 70s, there was a sketch where he and Beethoven's bust fell asleep whilst playing "Moonlight." ha
Posted By: FarmGirl Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 07:35 PM

No! I think the animatronic bust will make face and spit at me when I play his Op 14 #2 from measure 80.
Posted By: Nikolas Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 07:50 PM
I'm working on a project called "250 piano pieces with Beethoven".

Here's a pic of the first score to come out!

[Linked Image]

The idea is to have 250 composers compose short works for piano, influenced by, or for Beethoven. For solo piano. By 2020 (his 250th birthday) we will have gathered 250 pieces, all published by EMF, in 10 volumes. This is vol. 1

I would like to make a dedicated thread about this, since there's so many things to talk about, but I haven't heard back from Frank about this.
Posted By: Incongruous Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 08:16 PM
Thank you Beethoven for giving us the most horrifying overplayed music yet.
Very neat idea, Nikolas! And a massive effort -- 250 composers? The best of luck to this venture. Have you hired a pianist to premiere all 250 pieces at a grand opening?
Posted By: Nikolas Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Very neat idea, Nikolas! And a massive effort -- 250 composers? The best of luck to this venture. Have you hired a pianist to premiere all 250 pieces at a grand opening?
Thank you Tim.

I probably should've been a bit more specific.

This is not my idea, but I am, indeed the publisher. The idea was brought in by Bonn based pianist, Susanne Kessel, who is the organizer of all of this...

And yes, this is massive really.

So Susanne is premiering all the pieces in Bonn, most of the times, but it is quite an interesting idea to have a massive (I quite like this word) performance of all the pieces in 2020! I mean each piece is around 4 minutes long, so we're looking into a 10 hour program! grin
Posted By: Bart K Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I mean each piece is around 4 minutes long, so we're looking into a 10 hour program! grin

It's like playing the complete sonatas. Seems appropriate. grin
Posted By: FarmGirl Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/16/15 11:15 PM
This is when we need +1 button here
Posted By: wr Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 12:06 AM
Funny - I had a bit of insomnia last night, and started writing variations on Fur Elise in my head (some were fairly interesting, I thought). I'd completely forgotten about LvB's B-day, but my unconscious hadn't, I guess.

Posted By: phantomFive Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I'm working on a project called "250 piano pieces with Beethoven".

Here's a pic of the first score to come out!

[Linked Image]

The idea is to have 250 composers compose short works for piano, influenced by, or for Beethoven. For solo piano. By 2020 (his 250th birthday) we will have gathered 250 pieces, all published by EMF, in 10 volumes. This is vol. 1

I would like to make a dedicated thread about this, since there's so many things to talk about, but I haven't heard back from Frank about this.

It would also be kind of cool to have a book with a page for each day of the year, with a composer's work on the day for his birthday.
Posted By: BruceD Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by phantomFive
[...]It would also be kind of cool to have a book with a page for each day of the year, with a composer's work on the day for his birthday.

Would it even be possible to find 365/6 composers each with a different birthday? I doubt it!

If you could find that number of composers, then you could duplicate, several times, this phenomenon:

Birthday problem none of which I really understand, by the way smile

Regards,
Posted By: jazzyprof Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 04:45 AM
grin grin grin
Posted By: beet31425 Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 06:36 AM
google.com's tribute to Beethoven is pretty great today.

-J
Posted By: phantomFive Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by beet31425

-J

I came here exactly to say that, but it looks like you beat me. I think this is a more permanent link.
Posted By: Ainar Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
laugh laugh laugh

Thank you for that Op.101. So beautiful!

I will make sure to celebrate Beethoven today by playing and listening to some of his music. (If I were in a place with more pianists, I would totally love an 8-hand reading party of his symphonies! Makes me miss being in school:( You guys should organize one if you can).

Posted By: Gooddog Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by beet31425

-J

Yes, that's fantastic!
Posted By: ghosthand Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 07:01 PM
I love Beethoven.
Posted By: JoelW Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 10:16 PM
Happy birthday to one of the greatest songwriters of his era.
Posted By: bennevis Re: Obligatory Beethoven birthday thread - 12/17/15 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by JoelW
Happy birthday to one of the greatest songwriters of his era.

To the distant beloved.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmDS-PC89kY
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums