Piano World Home Page
Posted By: 337 Max Plank and music - 06/14/14 11:54 PM
I would know what composers Max Planck appreciated. And also what compositions did he played on the Piano, Organ, and the Cello.

confused
Posted By: MarkH Re: Max Plank and music - 06/15/14 03:48 AM
That's a pretty specific question! I think you'd probably do better asking Max Planck experts than classical music experts. I didn't even know he was a musician!
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Max Plank and music - 06/15/14 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by MarkH
That's a pretty specific question! I think you'd probably do better asking Max Planck experts than classical music experts. I didn't even know he was a musician!

Yeah -- even we who actually studied him probably don't know much. All I know is, there's something called Planck's constant, and for some reason it's "h." I don't remember the number, or what it represents, just that it's "h." ha

And if I were studying it now, I'd demand to know, why is it called a "constant"? Aren't all kinds of other numbers and things constant too? So, why is Planck's thing called a constant, but not those other things? grin

BTW I appreciate knowing he was a musician. I know that Einstein played violin (sort of). ha Besides that, I didn't know that any of those people were particularly into music....

Not to stereotype according to looks, but, does this look like someone who played music?

[Linked Image]

....oh wait a minute, this is what he looked like when he was younger:

[Linked Image]

So, Scriabin maybe? grin

P.S. I looked up a little stuff to see if I could easily find something about the music. I didn't, but....I see that he had more than his share of tragedy. However he might have looked at any time is nothing alongside all that.

P.P.S. I did find this page, which has this:

....a musical evening at the Plancks' house in Berlin, in which Planck, Einstein and a professional cellist played Beethoven's Piano Trio in B-flat major. "Listening to this was marvellously enjoyable, despite a couple of unimportant slips from Einstein... Einstein was visibly filled with the joy of the music and smiled in a light-hearted way that he was ashamed of his dreadful technique. Planck stood quietly by with a blissfully happy face and, hand on heart, said 'That wonderful second movement!'

BTW there are actually at least 2 Beethoven Piano Trios in Bb -- the Archduke and Op. 11. It's a good guess that this was the Archduke.
Posted By: ClsscLib Re: Max Plank and music - 06/15/14 02:35 PM
Lots of people who do science at a high level are passionately devoted to music.

I played for years in a very good amateur orchestra in the DC area called the NIH Philharmonia. (It's gotten even better since I left smile and is going stronger than ever.) It is conducted by a gifted Eastman conducting PhD named Nancia D'Alimonte, who selects the orchestra's repertoire (all serious music) and insists on performing it at professionally accepted tempi and otherwise to professional standards.

Many of the orchestra members are full-time research scientists (PhDs or MDs) connected to the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD.

The orchestra is loosely sponsored by NIH as a recreational activity benefiting its workforce. It plays about five concerts a year, always to large, overflow audiences. Take a listen if you're interested:

http://www.nihphil.org/sounds/index.html

I understand that there's also a doctor's symphony orchestra in the Boston area that plays ambitious repertoire, but I haven't heard it.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums