Piano World Home Page
Posted By: synthnut Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 01:40 AM
Yep, I finally ordered up a Steinway B Grand Piano, 22K Sight unseen, unheard, am i a fool? was a great deal on ebay, it'
s been a life-long dream to own a B,,,,I finally pulled the trigger, due to arrive in three weeks, total high end rebuild, DAM im stoked!
Posted By: BruceD Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by synthnut
Yep, I finally ordered up a Steinway B Grand Piano, 22K Sight unseen, unheard, am i a fool? was a great deal on ebay, it'
s been a life-long dream to own a B,,,,I finally pulled the trigger, due to arrive in three weeks, total high end rebuild, DAM im stoked!

"Unseen"? "Unheard"? "Stung" indeed might be the operative word!

I wish you luck.

Regards,
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by BruceD
"Unseen"? "Unheard"? "Stung" indeed might be the operative word!

I think you're being too harsh. smile

I mean, I'd never be caught dead doing anything like that. grin
But, to my fair amazement, I've seen on this site that many, many people feel comfortable doing something like this, and on the theory that "how many Frenchman can't be wrong" (or however it goes) ha ....I don't think Synthnut is necessarily doing wrong.

That said.....

Synthnut: I hope you have very good reason to know that it's a good rebuild!

BTW, the reason I'd never do anything like this isn't even mainly because of wondering about the rebuild. It's mainly that every piano has its own "personality" -- its own kind of feel and sound. It is often said that this can be adjusted to taste by a tech, but it's not completely true, and not nearly true enough for me, and so I'd never ever choose a piano that I hadn't had the chance to play. But evidently, lots and lots of people aren't so picky in this way.

So: Good luck! I think you'll probably be very happy with the piano. And if not, you could always try to fall back on the good old "Not as described" eBay thing, if that is so.
Posted By: MichaelJamesMN Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 02:21 AM
Did you contact a local (to the piano) tech to inspect the instrument at least?

Best money I ever spent when I was in my quest for the "best" piano. My first online "rebuild" I purchased was an absolute NIGHTMARE! Ended up shipping it back. I learned a valuable lesson after that.

So, if I may ask, who was the reuilder/seller?
Posted By: synthnut Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 02:51 AM
Well, here it is, is is a gamble, yes, divorce sale, Appraised/consigned at a promenent gallery for 59000, rebuilt/purchased 2005 during the ressession, for 48000,,,,the pics and appraisal are stellar and attest to high quality rebuild and steinway parts, gallery swears by tone quality [private sale},,,were talking 22k,,,, I was "looking" at garbage for 15k to 20k
Posted By: Gooddog Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 02:53 AM
Gulp.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 03:06 AM
Well, here it is, is is a gamble, yes, divorce sale, Appraised/consigned at a promenent gallery for 59000, rebuilt/purchased 2005 during the ressession, for 48000,,,,the pics and appraisal are stellar and attest to high quality rebuild and steinway parts, gallery swears by tone quality [private sale},,,were talking 22k,,,, I was "looking" at garbage for 15k to 20k

The trouble with that (or I guess I should say possible trouble with that) is, nobody who's selling something likes throwing away money. If a piano is clearly worth a very much higher amount, usually someone fairly local -- if not a private buyer, then a dealer, maybe a tech -- would have been happy to offer some amount much closer to the supposed value and it wouldn't be offered on eBay for so much less. I would always hesitate to take it seriously when anything is offered for "below value" or "below market" or anything like that. (And you can't at all assume that because a piano was worth such-and-such a few years ago, it's worth something close to it now.)

All of that said, if the "prominent gallery" really is a prominent and reputable gallery and did an honest appraisal, you're probably all right -- although I have trouble believing that something really worth $59K was being offered for 22.
Posted By: synthnut Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 03:14 AM
You are too kind, smiles, I know the Michigan rebuilder and reputable high end dealer, not played at all by rich owner since 2005,,,, it is in new condition!...Appraisals and prices are fact! so, even if I dont like tone of rebuild, I will resell & make a little money I hope!
Posted By: synthnut Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 03:18 AM
The Gallery was currently offering for 59K {consigned} I did a private sale with owner [stressed seller} for 22K The "Gallery" is shocked and would have bought it if offered to them!
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 03:24 AM
Oh....I should say, besides all the caution flags that we're putting up....Steinway B's have been my piano for almost 30 years. I consider them the ideal home piano. Hopefully you're getting a great instrument that you'll be extremely happy with. Good luck! Of course let us know how it turns out.
Posted By: synthnut Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 03:34 AM
I like your optimism, I would not normally buy a piano this way, however, I do have great confidence in it's rebuild quality, it's brand new like cond. and the nature of this unbelievable deal, I will be honest of it's assessment once it arrives. crossed fingers!!!
Posted By: Carey Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 05:38 AM
I like your optimism, I would not normally buy a piano this way, however, I do have great confidence in it's rebuild quality, it's brand new like cond. and the nature of this unbelievable deal, I will be honest of it's assessment once it arrives. crossed fingers!!!

And if you ultimately decide you don't want to keep it I'm sure you'll have absolutely no problem selling it to someone else for $22K !! grin
Posted By: pv88 Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 07:10 AM
You might want to look around a bit before making an expensive/impulsive buying decision as here is a Steinway "B" starting at $9,995.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinway-model-B-7-Grand-piano-WHOLESALE-NO-RESERVE-/121294091511

Contact the seller directly and tell them you would put up $12,500 (for example) immediately as they accept credit card via phone.

Assuming they sell it to you, you would have saved about $10K over your other purchase.
Posted By: Steve Chandler Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/17/14 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by pv88
You might want to look around a bit before making an expensive/impulsive buying decision as here is a Steinway "B" starting at $9,995.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinway-model-B-7-Grand-piano-WHOLESALE-NO-RESERVE-/121294091511

Contact the seller directly and tell them you would put up $12,500 (for example) immediately as they accept credit card via phone.

Assuming they sell it to you, you would have saved about $10K over your other purchase.

This is an original condition 85 key Steinway B. That means it was built in the late 19th century and is unrestored. My preference would be to pay more for a B that was fully restored in 2005. The B you referenced is almost certainly a core piano (candidate for rebuilding) and as such is probably not worth much more than $5K.
Posted By: synthnut Re: Stung by a "B" - 03/18/14 12:16 AM
I agree, most B's are to old and/or need everything, including the posted find, garbage! I have looked at many in the 15 to 20 range,,,,,to sum it all up, I did quite well for 22k

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/e04AAMXQVERSvE27/$_57.JPG
Posted By: synthnut Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/23/14 04:53 AM
The Sight unseen purchase of a "B" was a home run, a 1921 complete rebuild in 2000 by Evola/Reeder here in Michigan, looks and plays just like new, with all new Renner action, new pinblock and sound board, which really sings with authentic Steinway tone, curious about the non steinway hammers, they sound great,,,they have a blue inner felt, anybody know what they are, anyway, overall, this great "B" is a gem, and a keeper, I knew it would Be! despite not seeing or hearing it prior to purchase,,,,how do you post pics?
Posted By: JoelW Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/23/14 04:57 AM
As someone who plays a Yamaha grand, I'd take any Steinway B, given it was in good condition. BUT, considering you're actually paying for this, you probably should have played it first. (local piano shops are good for this, not so much eBay grin)

I just realized that this is from March. I hope you're happy with the piano. It's probably a marvelous instrument. (at least, I sure hope it is)

And please...

POST PICS! laugh
Posted By: Nikolas Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/23/14 04:58 AM
If there's a Steinway B for $22k I think that I would:

a. Explore the shipping fees to Greece.
b. Explore my finances.
c. Travel over there to take a look myself.
d. Buy the d@rn thing!

grin

looking forward to more news...
Posted By: wr Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/23/14 05:09 AM
,,,,how do you post pics?

There's a sticky thread that says it will tell you how - I haven't read it though.
Posted By: JoelW Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/23/14 05:11 AM
If you use Windows, and know how to get your photos onto your computer, I can walk you through it.
Posted By: phantomFive Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/23/14 05:21 AM
Rebuilds can be really good deals
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/23/14 05:23 AM
The Sight unseen purchase of a "B" was a home run, a 1921 complete rebuild in 2000 by Evola/Reeder here in Michigan, looks and plays just like new, with all new Renner action, new pinblock and sound board, which really sings with authentic Steinway tone....

You did good! thumb
Posted By: JoelW Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/23/14 05:24 AM
Wow!! I'm so jealous, and happy for you!

I need pics. grin
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/23/14 05:29 AM
No guts no glory! Well done!
Posted By: synthnut Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/24/14 01:13 AM
the pics are in my computer, but no brouse feature hear for posting um,,,im not good at this stuff, someone please explain so i can post pics
Posted By: JoelW Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/24/14 01:32 AM
Do you use Windows?
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/24/14 01:35 AM
Try this.
Posted By: T.M.E. Re: Stung by a "B" - 04/24/14 03:51 AM
I am too jealous for words.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums