Piano World Home Page
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so sorry if I am posting this in the incorrect place, but I am a 17 year old pianist and have just put my first video on youtube. Unfortunatly the sound quality in the video isn't fantastic and the tuning of the piano is not great but I was wondering if anyone could give me some constructive feedback. I know this is not a particularly challenging piece, but I wanted to start off with something quite simple for my first video as I have been a bit nervous about it.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19xMQW7PUuY
Thank you everybody and hope to here from you soon.
I think this is a well-prepared piece, and I like the tempo that you chose for it. There are a couple things I can suggest to make it better, to my taste (and get the piano tuned!).

1) Think about the music as having different layers or lines. The octaves in the opening passage are in a different layer than the other notes in between, so these two layers need to be set apart by different dynamics/colour.
2) The RH figuration starting at about 0:50 overpowers the more interesting material in the LH. This figuration should sound more fog-like - in a fog, nothing is distinct or sharp, so too this should not have so much of an accent when the 5th finger plays, and it should be just slightly softer.

Thanks for posting! If you want to post other things, there is a Member Recordings subforum located at the top of the Pianist Corner page for this purpose.
Nice playing! The piece sounds a lot like Debussy.
Indeed, it does. When I went to youtube to watch it, one of the suggested videos on the side was Debussy's "La cathedrale engloutie".
Thank you so much for such good feedback.

I completely agree with what you have said, I didn't really practice the piece properly before I recorded it so I will not make that mistake again. My My right hand was certainly overpowering in middle section so I will try and correct this.

Oh, and the piano doesn't sound that bad in reality! although it does need tuning.

thank you very much smile
Yes, the composer Jennifer Linn composed this and a number of other pieces in the style of Debussy as a way of introducing his music to people more accessibly, which is why it sounds similar! If you are interested the book that they are in is called 'Les Petites Impressions' - I find them all lovely to play.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums