Piano World Home Page

Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas

Posted By: pianovirus

Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 06/23/13 07:33 PM

...by Jonathan Biss, looks quite interesting:

https://www.coursera.org/course/beethovensonatas

It will not start before September, but it's possible to sign up already (I did - anyone else, too?)
Posted By: Orange Soda King

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 06/23/13 08:00 PM

Sounds interesting. Biss is good. I'll do it, too.
Posted By: pianovirus

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 06/23/13 08:04 PM

Great! It would be fun to follow the series with a number of PW folks (so we can have a "classroom gossip" thread here laugh )
Posted By: CleverName

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 06/23/13 08:24 PM

This sounds great! Thanks for the link. smile
Posted By: Elysia

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 06/23/13 08:55 PM

I'm signed up. Look forward to chatting about the course.
Posted By: jmcintyre

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 06/30/13 01:50 AM

Hi everyone. I'm in!
Posted By: dsch

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 06/30/13 01:55 AM

I signed up, too. Thanks for the link!
Posted By: ChrisKeys

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 06/30/13 03:37 AM

I just signed up!
Posted By: synergy543

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/03/13 10:33 PM

Apparently 32,000 people signed up!

Holy mackerel, there are a lot more of us than I ever imagined. It's a wonderful thing too, to realize that the early demise of classical music may have been greatly exaggerated.

http://qz.com/120674/a-piano-class-for-32000-students-began-today/

Posted By: MarkH

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/03/13 11:27 PM

Wonderful! I just signed up too! I've enjoyed Schiff's lectures on the Sonatas, and I'm looking forward to how Biss' approach differs.
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/04/13 12:08 AM

Can one listen to the lectures but not do any of the homework?
Posted By: neuralfirings

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/04/13 12:53 AM

Can we discuss course homework questions on this thread? Maybe a separate thread marked spoilers?
Posted By: OrpheusEF

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/04/13 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think you can, but you will not get the certificate. I'm not interested in the certificate (and the homework) so I think I'm just going to watch the lectures.
Posted By: stores

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/04/13 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Do the homework.
Posted By: Orange Soda King

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/04/13 03:09 AM

Yeah, do the homework. There is hardly any in this course anyway, haha.
Posted By: Poppysmom

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/04/13 07:36 AM

I'm signed up, too, and looking forward to it.

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by stores
Do the homework.

Always good advice, to be sure.

I'm surprised the PW system hasn't automatically added this to your signature, Stores!

(Happy belated birthday, by the way.)
Posted By: TwoSnowflakes

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 05:00 AM

I'm only doing the homework if one of you guys grade it. (The homework is apparently volunteer "peer" graded by another course-taker, in a kind of academic "I'll scratch your back; you scratch mine" paradigm I guess.)

Meh, who am I kidding? I'll of course do it anyway, and I guess hope the grader knows something about music.

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
I'm only doing the homework if one of you guys grade it. (The homework is apparently volunteer "peer" graded by another course-taker, in a kind of academic "I'll scratch your back; you scratch mine" paradigm I guess.)

Meh, who am I kidding? I'll of course do it anyway, and I guess hope the grader knows something about music.

Sounds good to me, as long as it's clear nobody is expecting a favorable review from it. I would never think that was on the agenda of anyone here, but I just took another look at Coursera's honor code <https://www.coursera.org/about/honorcode> and wondered whether we'd run afoul of it in principle.

Besides, I don't know if it's even possible. Does anyone know whether, when you review work, it's clear whose work it is?
Posted By: FSO

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jmcintyre

Sounds good to me, as long as it's clear nobody is expecting a favorable review from it. I would never think that was on the agenda of anyone here, but I just took another look at Coursera's honor code <https://www.coursera.org/about/honorcode> and wondered whether we'd run afoul of it in principle.

Besides, I don't know if it's even possible. Does anyone know whether, when you review work, it's clear whose work it is?

Well..I'm game laugh That applies to you TwoSnowflakes, too; if you'd like a vague and nigh on pointless critique....um....jmcintyre; of course we'll likely violate the code, some of us, but no course is ever *really* without it; I'm sure it should be easily possible for those wishing to avoid breaking the code to do so. As for the review of work....well, um, once it's submitted (preserving, of course, the sanctity of the code laugh ), there's nothing to stop you sending a copy to someone you "know", here for instance. I assume all the reviews on the site would be anonymous...
Xxxx
Posted By: Kreisler

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 01:44 PM

LOL Students these days. There aren't even any assignments yet and people are already trying to figure out how to cheat. smile
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kreisler
LOL Students these days. There aren't even any assignments yet and people are already trying to figure out how to cheat. smile
A student who I was tutoring in math had a history paper to do. I jokingly asked him if he ever used cut and paste to write a paper(which is hard to do because a teacher can easily check on this using some special software program for teachers). He said "No...I use read and copy."
Posted By: FSO

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kreisler

Well come on, doesn't it seem to you like it's going to be *really* hard? wink Anyway, cheating is just taking a more creative route to finding the answers laugh
Posted By: Polyphonist

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by FSO

Well come on, doesn't it seem to you like it's going to be *really* hard? wink

Not really.
Posted By: TwoSnowflakes

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 05:53 PM

Wait, I wasn't saying I wanted to cheat! I was just joking about the element of this class where nobody FROM the teaching side is correcting homework. The other students are.

And given that the students are not required to have ANY background in music, I just thought it sounded kind of hilarious that the homework would be "peer graded."

Obviously there's no grade in the course (and even if there was one, I wouldn't care what it was) but I am hoping to learn something and if someone tells me my answers are correct or incorrect when they're not, it'd be hard to know!

Wouldn't it be easier to make the homework multiple choice or some such thing where at least there could be no question as to whether or not your answers were correct or incorrect but automated because obviously there's no way for Curtis to grade 32,000 homework submissions individually!

That's all. Yikes, I in no way have any agenda with regard to trying to game the system here! I was just joking that whomever my assigned anonymous "peer" is, if that person came from the forum I would be more inclined to trust their corrections! smile
Posted By: synergy543

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 07:46 PM

Apparently Beethoven took his homework very seriously. Even from old Haydn (from "whom you could learn nothing").

Now Mozart OTOH, he'd have certainly been working on a way to "game the system", just for fun. Don't you think?
Posted By: PianoStudent88

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 08:05 PM

You could post your homework essays here as part of a discussion.

The kinds of multiple choice questions that could be graded automatically would be completely uninteresting as homework. I'm assuming it will be essays where you're asked to take a position and provide evidence.

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 08:44 PM

I in no way have any agenda with regard to trying to game the system here!

Nor do I -- I only thought it would be good to know reviews of my work would come, in part, from people with musical knowledge. In retrospect, given the number of students, the spectrum is probably quite broad and there is little cause for concern.

Besides, I'm old enough to know who is truly cheated when one cheats smile
Posted By: bellamusica

Re: Free online lecture series on Beethoven's piano sonatas - 09/05/13 09:05 PM

I'm signed up too! Thanks for bringing this to my attention - it looks like it will be a fascinating course.

They have forums on the actual website for discussion etc., so I think it would be okay to discuss topics here as well. As long as we don't copy answers from each other or get someone else to do our work for us, we should be fine.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums