Piano World Home Page
Posted By: nocturne152 2 Chopin waltzes (Bunin) - 05/22/12 12:40 AM
My favorite pianist performing two of my favorite posthumous works. These pieces are truly unique. Why didn't Chopin publish these gems?

Enjoy!

Posted By: Mark_C Re: 2 Chopin waltzes (Bunin) - 05/22/12 12:55 AM
Lovely pieces!
But I wonder if maybe the authenticity of one or both is questioned?

The first one, I don't really know the piece. I think maybe I saw it posted on here some time ago. It's lovely, and he sure plays it with love and spirit.

The second one, I haven't come across in many many years, and I've never heard anyone play it. I saw it years ago in some waltz volume, played through it, and then totally forgot about it, till this. Thanks for bringing it here. smile
Posted By: nocturne152 Re: 2 Chopin waltzes (Bunin) - 05/22/12 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Lovely pieces!
But I wonder if maybe the authenticity of one or both is questioned?

The first one, I don't really know. I think maybe I saw it posted on here some time ago. It's lovely, and he sure plays it with a lot of love and spirit.

The second one, I haven't come across in many many years, and I've never heard anyone play it. I saw it years ago in some waltz volume, played through it, and then totally forgot about it, till this. Thanks for bringing it here. smile

No problem, Mark -- glad you enjoyed them! And I know for sure that the 2nd waltz's authenticity is questioned, not sure about the 1st waltz. But I don't care, cause I'm gonna learn both of them anyway. grin
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: 2 Chopin waltzes (Bunin) - 05/22/12 01:32 AM
The first ones sounds very Schubertian to my mind.
Posted By: BruceD Re: 2 Chopin waltzes (Bunin) - 05/22/12 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Yes, I feel that there's more Chubert than Schopin in the first!

Regards,
Posted By: nocturne152 Re: 2 Chopin waltzes (Bunin) - 05/22/12 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

What troubles me is that the second waltz is titled "Waltzer". To my knowledge, Chopin ALWAYS used "Waltz" or "Valse". Hmmmmm...
Posted By: BruceD Re: 2 Chopin waltzes (Bunin) - 05/22/12 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by lostaccato
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

What troubles me is that the second waltz is titled "Waltzer". To my knowledge, Chopin ALWAYS used "Waltz" or "Valse". Hmmmmm...

Since this was not published in Chopin's lifetime, and since the source is the first German edition, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the German title "Walzer" is appended to this Waltz (Brown-Index No 46) as it is also to the posthumous Waltz in E major (Brown-Index 44).

I'm not aware, looking at an Urtext of the Waltzes, that Chopin ever used the English title "Waltz," although some English editions may use that translation. Three volumes of my Novello editions of Chopin have the titles : Studies (instead of Etudes), Waltzes and Ballads (instead of Ballades).

The cover title of the Henle edition of the Waltzes is "Walzer," (German publication, German title) although the individual pieces are entitle "Valse," except for those mentioned above.

Even Henle is not consistent, however. The Op 28 is entitled Préludes (French), while all the rest seem to be German: the Etudes are Etuden; the Ballades are Balladen; the Waltzes are Walzer, etc. That said, my Henle editions of the Etudes and the Waltzes are older editions; they may have changed that in their newer editions of these works. In any case, the titles of many works are often translated by the publisher into the language of the country in which the particular editions are published as Novello, above, and may not always reproduce the title that composers gave to their works.

Regards,
Posted By: nocturne152 Re: 2 Chopin waltzes (Bunin) - 05/22/12 06:36 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Bruce.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums