Beethoven?
Wanderer-Fantasie?
Chromatic Fantasy?
Oriental Fantasy (aka Islamey)
Fantasia Contrappuntistica?
Fantasie-Polonaise?
Fantasie-Mayonnaise?
Fantasie-Impromptuna-nicoise?

(and some of your need to get your mind out of the gutter, seriously!)

Posted By: MarkH Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 05:27 AM
Bach: Fantasie in cm BWV. 906
Fantasy & Fugue in gm BWV. 942 (in Liszt or Szanto version since I don't play organ)
Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue

Beethoven: Choral Fantasy

Chopin: Fantasy in f

Bach seems to win in my book.
Posted By: beet31425 Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 05:43 AM
Chopin's Polonaise-Fantaisie!

All right, I'll admit I'm a little obsessed with this piece. (I've been working on it a couple hours a day for a couple weeks.) And when I heard Kissin play it, it made absolutely no impression on me-- in one ear, out the other. But now that I've been slowly working though it, I think it's absolutely the best. In its probing self-doubt, its striving and strife, its occasional self-indulgence and its ultimate hard-won glory, it reminds me of nothing so much as a Mahler symphony. smile

-J

(p.s. From the ones in the OP's list, obviously the Schumann Fantasie gives the Chopin, and anything else, a good run for its money too.)
Posted By: Mark_C Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by MarkH
....Bach seems to win in my book.

No, it's one of the others you mentioned.... ha

Posted By: bplary1300 Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 06:10 AM
The Scriabin Fantaisie is beautiful... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgoxw1QU7Zw
Posted By: asthecrowflies Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 06:25 AM
Oh, and don't forget about that most famous of all 20th c. fantasies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qq09UkPRdFY#t=34s
Posted By: jcromp78 Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 07:09 AM
I really enjoy the Mendelssohn op 28 in F#minor and here's one a little off the beaten track; The Fantasie op 14 by Szymanowski which is the first work I heard by this composer and really found it to be an exciting and atmospheric work.
Posted By: pianojosh23 Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 11:12 AM
The Schumann Fantasie is the winner for me. However, Liszt's Norma Fantasy is close - as is his Ad Nos Fantasy, Chorale and Fugue (0:45 in the video).

Posted By: apple* Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 11:53 AM
you guys are so good and polite.. on any other forum this thread title would have drawn totally inappropriate responses.
Posted By: Damon Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 12:02 PM
Sonata in B minor. (Liszt)
Posted By: MarkH Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 12:09 PM
LOL Apple, you're a naughty girl for even thinking of that!
Posted By: Damon Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 12:34 PM

Didn't we all think it? laugh And didn't we all know they were unprintable in this forum? shocked
Posted By: piano joy Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Damon

Didn't we all think it? laugh And didn't we all know they were unprintable in this forum? shocked

[Linked Image]

Thread title could have been worded differently...
Posted By: Andromaque Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 12:47 PM
Franz Liszt, of course.
Posted By: Tim Adrianson Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 02:05 PM
Definitely Schumann -- IMO his best piano composition, and one of my favorites. Surprised you didn't include Chopin's Fantasy in F minor in your array of choices -- although I tend to prefer other compositions in his "final" phase, that definitely is a significant contribution to the literature. Let me put in a plug for Aaron Copland's Fantasy, his final major piano composition -- it's daunting, but worth it!
Posted By: sandalholme Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 03:03 PM
Another vote for Chopin's Polonaise Fantasie, followed by Schumann, followed by the Bach Chromatic.

Did I really put Bach 3rd in a list?
Posted By: BDB Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 03:09 PM
Fantasy Studios in Berkeley? Nice place to make a recording.
Posted By: Richter Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 05:00 PM
Schumann!
Posted By: didyougethathing Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 05:07 PM
THIS:

Posted By: erichlof Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 06:45 PM
Final Fantasy X!
smile
Posted By: TheHappyMoron Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by didyougethathing
THIS:

i was listening to this very piece about ten minutes ago!

I'm quite into Chopin's F Minor fantasy. What about Moonlight Sonata? That's almost a fantasy! grin
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/24/12 07:48 PM
Schubert F Minor Fantasy.
Posted By: fj_s Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/25/12 09:05 AM
Mozart K475
Posted By: wr Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/25/12 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Let me put in a plug for Aaron Copland's Fantasy, his final major piano composition -- it's daunting, but worth it!

I thought of the Copland when I saw this thread. Haven't heard it in a long time, but many years ago I had an LP of it that I thought was great (Masselos, I think). So I went to YouTube hoping to refresh my memory before mentioning it here, and it turned out I couldn't find a single recording of it!! That really surprised me.
Posted By: Svengali Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/25/12 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by beet31425
Chopin's Polonaise-Fantaisie!

All right, I'll admit I'm a little obsessed with this piece. (I've been working on it a couple hours a day for a couple weeks.) And when I heard Kissin play it, it made absolutely no impression on me-- in one ear, out the other. But now that I've been slowly working though it, I think it's absolutely the best. In its probing self-doubt, its striving and strife, its occasional self-indulgence and its ultimate hard-won glory, it reminds me of nothing so much as a Mahler symphony. smile

-J

(p.s. From the ones in the OP's list, obviously the Schumann Fantasie gives the Chopin, and anything else, a good run for its money too.)

Definately the Polonaise-fantaisie.
I'm obsessed with it too.
To me it seems very self-explanatory in its intentions musically speaking but those intentions are so unorthodox and wayward that although some sees it as the pinacle of Chopin's output, some other folks prudently ignores the piece altogether if they don't outright dislike it. Whereas the Balades and Scherzi contains some resemblance to conventional formal structures, the Polonaise-fantaisie seems to efforlessly manage to make a very concerted effort to negate all resemblance to any forms known hitherto - a fantasy in a very true sense.
Then there's the polonaisy bit which seems to only just manage to qualify as such, hinting at a very complex psychological under-current.
Posted By: Jolteon Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/25/12 12:16 PM
My favourite fantasy probably isn't appropriate for this forum! wink laugh

But I like this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wXp939XmU
(Is that cheating? smile )

Posted By: Forrest Halford Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/25/12 08:55 PM
Waking up and being able to play like Martha Argerich for just a day.

That's my fantasy, and I'm sticking to it.

Forrest
Posted By: jeffreyjones Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/25/12 09:06 PM
Schumann. I love it so much that I learned it and memorized it, no small feat for an amateur!
Posted By: Mark_C Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/26/12 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
Schumann. I love it so much that I learned it and memorized it, no small feat for an amateur!

If you're an amateur, what are most of the rest of us? ha
Posted By: Sir Monty Golfear Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/26/12 05:51 PM
My Favourite fantasy would be to have Katia & Marielle Labeque give me some private lessons !!
Posted By: argerichfan Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/26/12 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Sir Monty Golfear
My Favourite fantasy would be to have Katia & Marielle Labeque give me some private lessons !!

Considering they recorded Percy Grainger's sumptuous 'Fantasy on Porgy & Bess' for two pianos (now there's a fantasy not so far mentioned in this thread), I'm sure the lovely sisters could give you a few tips!
Posted By: Sir Monty Golfear Re: What's your favorite Fantasy? - 04/26/12 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by Sir Monty Golfear

Considering they recorded Percy Grainger's sumptuous 'Fantasy on Porgy & Bess' for two pianos (now there's a fantasy not so far mentioned in this thread), I'm sure the lovely sisters could give you a few tips!

To be honest it was a close call between Martha Argerich and the Labeque sisters.......I am not pulling your Poulenc !!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums