Piano World Home Page

How do people transcribe sheet music from a video?

Posted By: DanTheMan14

How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 04:20 PM

Hey fellow pianists!

How do people transcribe music from a ' Youtube Video ' for example. Do they make the sheets by ear or perfect pitch? Or do they have a software that automatically transcribes it? I would really like to know.

Thanks for everybody taking the time to post smile i appreciate it.
Posted By: rada

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 04:27 PM

I don't used any software...just by ear...of course it's easier if you can see exactly what is being played.

rada
Posted By: Dave Horne

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 04:29 PM

My approach is not efficient as I will listen to a piece many, many, many times and first try to figure it out in my head before I go to pencil and paper.

My next step (after mapping out the form) is to go after the bass lines first and the melody second. The harmonies\inner voices take care of themselves at this point.

I always feel like I've accomplished something when I transcribe a piece of music. It's an excellent workout for the musical brain.

Real men use paper and pencil. wink
Posted By: debrucey

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 04:29 PM

I do it by ear with trial and error. I dont have perfect pitch.
Posted By: chrisbell

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 04:48 PM

I download the video, export the audio and slow it down (if needed).

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 04:53 PM

Okay cool, I thought so but wasn't sure laugh. Is there a way to turn audio in a video into a MIDI file?
Posted By: Kreisler

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by DanTheMan14
Okay cool, I thought so but wasn't sure laugh. Is there a way to turn audio in a video into a MIDI file?

There is some software that is able to do this, but the results vary greatly depending on the kind of input the software gets.

An example:

http://www.seventhstring.com/
Posted By: ando

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Horne
My approach is not efficient as I will listen to a piece many, many, many times and first try to figure it out in my head before I go to pencil and paper.

My next step (after mapping out the form) is to go after the bass lines first and the melody second. The harmonies\inner voices take care of themselves at this point.

I always feel like I've accomplished something when I transcribe a piece of music. It's an excellent workout for the musical brain.

Real men use paper and pencil. wink

I do it this way too. (Although I may plug it into a sequencer/notation program later to listen through it and compare the results). I don't have much trouble using my ears for things - in fact I'd rather just listen than watch somebody's hands on a video. I try to hear whole phrases and I often sing them to myself as I transcribe them on paper. Middle voices are sometimes tricky because they are often densely packed or not very prominent, but often it's just a process of elimination once you have the bass and melody line figured out. You can use your knowledge of harmony to make educated guesses on things that are hard to hear.

For pieces with extremely rapid notes or dense chords, it's sometimes useful to have a program that allows you to select a portion of the music and play it in isolation. This helps to separate it from all the mayhem around it. I don't like to use slowing down as a technique though. I want to hear the full intent of the music as I write it down. I have a program called Wavelab which displays the whole track as a waveform but lets me select a portion of it and play it separately or as a loop. This is often a real timesaver when there are a great many notes in a small space. That's about as close to cheating as I get. The more experienced I get, the less I use software, and the less concerned I am about exactly reproducing somebody else's music. Often just filling out music in your own style and preference is just as good and contributes to your own distinctive style. I think some people are too concerned with sounding exactly like an original recording. Most artists never play a piece the same way twice themselves anyway. Obviously I'm talking non-classical here though.

Posted By: Mike Mandaville

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 08:22 PM

Having perfect pitch is not necessary for transcribing. Typically, I will download the audio portion of a video, and then slow down the tempo using Audacity. The pitches are not affected. I transcribe the lead vocal or lead melody first. After that, I use the scale of triads to find the harmonies. Right now I am using this process exclusively to acquire my repertoire. I memorze everything that I play.
Posted By: Minaku

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/11/12 11:52 PM

I usually do it by ear, though it's rare for me to write things down. For multi-voice textures that I need to arrange for piano, I'll write them out. First I get my chord structure. Then I build a bass line, and follow it with the high voice. As long as the rhythms are done correctly I find that I don't need much more after that.
Posted By: Damon

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/12/12 02:47 AM

I do exactly the same thing Dave Horne does.

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 03/25/12 01:57 AM

Thanks, those are some very helpful tips.
Posted By: glovewildplaces

Re: How do people transcribe sheet music from a video? - 04/02/12 12:43 PM

+1 the same way Dave, Ando & other previous great tips. You learn over time. I have no perfect pitch, but the term Relative pitch applies. After looking at the video when using software to pull down. Then watching hands for fun (really the ear is it) with VLC Media Player. Then the looping of the mp3 (of finding a higher fidelity version of the song) export in Seventh String Transcribe. Note question 9. http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/faq4.html (I did purchase Transcribe.)
Here is a long long winded post on this a little while back including links to a Marks excellent youtube video doing seventh string transcribing right into Sibelius. Thus then you have your midi you can export as well.
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/topic/128843/gonew/1.html
There are allot of these free games out there that are fun.
http://www.themelodymaster.com/chord.php
Also, I have not bought into any of ear training $$ programs. My ears are free. smile
I have bought Synthesia to play midi files from ClassicalMidiConnectioin that others have already sequenced; for learning fun.
For transposing my own attempts into Sheet/midi I use mostly another dirt cheap great program, Notation Composer.
imho, yrmv & all other assorted disclaimers.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums