Piano World Home Page

My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov

Posted By: shirlkirsten

My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/20/12 04:13 PM

I was delighted to interview Daniil following his concert yesterday afternoon in Fresno. (And I sneakily captured part of an encore as a lead-in to the repartee) I found his sharing about technique, etc. to be intriguing, as he did some demonstrating of an "11 arpeggio" regimen at the piano. The background footage acknowledged our esteemed Philip Lorenz Memorial Keyboard Concert Series.. We had a full house even over a holiday weekend!

http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2012/0...rt-interview-in-fresno-california-video/
Posted By: Richter

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/20/12 05:00 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this!

Can you perhaps elaborate on what that "11 arpeggio technique" was all about? and how to practice it?

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/20/12 07:15 PM

That was a pretty intensive reference that Trifonov made, and I followed his demonstrations live in the studio.. but now am off to my Bay area studio.

If you watch the video, you might review his sequence of chords in Major and minor, to more readily understand what regimen he was recommending.

I will do the same.
Posted By: Thrill Science

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/20/12 08:09 PM

Nice to hear him speak; I've been a fan ever since I saw the recordings of him from the Tchaikovsky.

(Also, Steinway needs to buy Fazioli to remain competitive. Daniil said in this interview that in Europe he often plays on Fazioli.)
Posted By: PaulaPiano34

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/20/12 09:45 PM

Fascinating! I can't tell you how jealous I am of you! smile Trifonov is such a wonderful pianist (one of my personal favorites) and away from the piano, he seems like a very pleasant, intelligent, and very modest young man as well. smile

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/21/12 11:26 PM

He is a lovely young man --very generous, giving.. I was swept away by him.

On my wishlist.. to get a post concert interview with Murray Perahia, (March 11 concert in Zellerbach, Berkeley, CA) who was a year ahead of me at the NYC HS of Performing Arts High School. At least for two of my 3 years there, he was bristling with brilliant artistry. I am going to contact his management and hope for a miracle.
Posted By: AldenH

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/22/12 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by music32

On my wishlist.. to get a post concert interview with Murray Perahia, (March 11 concert in Zellerbach, Berkeley, CA) who was a year ahead of me at the NYC HS of Performing Arts High School. At least for two of my 3 years there, he was bristling with brilliant artistry. I am going to contact his management and hope for a miracle.

I hear he's he can be a bit cool about interviews: reserved and only gets excited about the things that really interest him. The regular stock of pianist interview questions set a glaze in his eyes.

I got my info from here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/feb/27/murray-perahia-interview

Luck may be with you: as they say there, he seems to have mellowed some with age!

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/22/12 04:11 PM

Well, I am hoping that Murray will consider me part of the family, as I also played for him in a Masterclass in Fresno, right when he first married his wife, Naomi.. and I got to schmooze with him at an informal reception the night before.

He knows I have celebrated his artistry over and again in my writings.. but who knows,.. so far the IMG contact person has not replied.. which could mean, the interview is a NO GO..

Will see. Has only been a day since I made the request.

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/23/12 12:49 AM

Yes I read that Guardian piece, and it is not a good sign. Perahia doesn't like the hoopla anyway.
Posted By: AldenH

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/23/12 07:35 AM

In other news, I just heard Trifonov give a recital here in Houston! Duly impressed by his all-encompassing sensitivity and graceful manner... but of course, he brought the fuoco when he needed to! Full recital mini-review coming soon, as soon as this insane week is over!! Argh, applications, be done already...

Re: My post-concert interview with Daniil Trifonov - 02/24/12 04:48 AM

He had quite a packed concert itinerary..Glad to hear the good news from Texas. He is now I believe back in CA for two big city appearances.. It makes me tired thinking about it.

© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums