Piano World Home Page

The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs

Posted By: The Fryderyk Chopin Society

The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 10:05 AM

The Fryderyk Chopin Society of Warsaw kindly invites interested persons to participate in The Second International Fryderyk Chopin Competition for Amateur Pianists.
The Competition will be held at the University of Music in Warsaw, 11-15 September 2012.
Information available on www.konkurs.amator.pl and from the organiser: (+48 22) 827 95 89, info@chopin.pl
Posted By: Mark_C

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 03:36 PM

THANK YOU!

Some of us have been wondering and talking about this, and hoping very much that you would be having it again. It's great to see this being planned so far in advance. It gives us a good chance to get to work!

OK, let's see the repertoire requirements.... smile

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 03:48 PM

I see that the repertoire requirements are similar to last time, just with a different round-by-round distribution, and leaves us very free to choose our pieces. I love especially that everyone will be playing pieces from Chopin's major Polish forms, the mazurka and polonaise. It was a thrill in 2009 to hear such a display of them, enabling us to hear not only many performances of the most famous ones but also some of those that are rarely heard, and it was especially moving to be experiencing all of this in Poland. It was also a great and rare opportunity to discuss performance practices of these forms, not only among ourselves but also with the jury.

If it sounds like I'm trying to help spread the word, yes indeed I am! The event in 2009 was a great joy and it seemed everybody was looking forward to the next time.

Repertoire requirements:

1st round, 10-15 minutes, to include a Chopin Waltz

2nd round, 15-20 minutes, to include two Chopin Mazurkas

3rd round, 20-25 minutes, to include a Chopin Polonaise
Posted By: Keith D Kerman

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 04:20 PM

You going to do this, Mark?

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
You going to do this, Mark?

ha

You think I'd be caught dead not doing it? grin

But first we have to apply. Really, you never know....
Posted By: LisztAddict

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 04:28 PM

Two mazurkas in the second is going to be tough!

Oh yeah, we have to apply and qualify first.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by LisztAddict
Two mazurkas in the second is going to be tough!

Not for you! smile

(Why?)

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 04:48 PM

I often struggled with getting the mazurka rhythm correctly. frown
Posted By: RonaldSteinway

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 04:53 PM

It will tougher if they require to play one Mazurka and one Waltz in the same round, and played back to back, Waltz first and then Mazurka..... Most people will end up playing two Waltz sound pieces instead of two different type of music ...hehehehehe

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
It will tougher if they require to play one Mazurka and one Waltz in the same round, and played back to back, Waltz first and then Mazurka..... Most people will end up playing two Waltz sound pieces instead of two different type of music ...hehehehehe

HA HA HA!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 08/19/11 05:32 PM

You and the whole rest of the world!!!
Posted By: Jibbers

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/11 01:36 PM

Um.... Does anyone remember the requirements for each round of the last competition? Were they same as this next one (Waltz, Mazurka, Polonaise)?
Perhaps I could prepare for the one in another three years!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/11 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jibbers
Um.... Does anyone remember the requirements for each round of the last competition? Were they same as this next one (Waltz, Mazurka, Polonaise)?

Exactly the same but with a different 'layout.'
The polonaise was in the 1st round, waltz in the 2nd, and two mazurkas in the finals.

I don't think we can assume it will always be similar, but the great thing is that it's good to know such pieces anyway, right? thumb

And yes indeed, the competitions can serve as great motivators for us to work on our repertoire. It can help to have something to shoot for!

BTW, you sure you don't want to try for this one, next year?
Posted By: Jolteon

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/11 11:36 PM

Wow, I wish I was able to enter such a competition. It looks like a lot of fun! smile But it seems like an age restriction says otherwise for me. frown Maybe I will have to aim for one in three years too, but even then I don't think I'll be old enough unless they change the rules.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/11 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_C

Exactly the same but with a different 'layout.'
The polonaise was in the 1st round, waltz in the 2nd, and two mazurkas in the finals.

I don't think we can assume it will always be similar, but the great thing is that it's good to know such pieces anyway, right? thumb

And yes indeed, the competitions can serve as great motivators for us to work on our repertoire. It can help to have something to shoot for!

BTW, you sure you don't want to try for this one, next year?

Thanks Mark for the info.
I would if I have the repertoire for it, but I don't and unlikely would be ready by the time applications close. I don't know any substantial polonaise :P

When I stumbled upon info on the last Chopin Amateur over a year after the fact I was thinking about preparing for the next one, but ended up preparing repertoire for Fort Worth instead, as there was no indication there would be a 2nd Chopin Amateur.

So, maybe 2015 if they still hold it then smirk
Not having much hopes given what we just heard about Berlin IPAC.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/11 03:29 PM

Jibbers: It doesn't have to be a "substantial" polonaise. I mean, to me they're all substantial grin but I know what you mean. Last time people played a very wide selection of them, the variety was wonderful, and playing one of the 'lesser' ones didn't seem to hurt anybody.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I know you wink and I doubt you'd have any trouble pulling together the repertoire in time for this one if you wanted to.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/11 02:41 PM

Mark_C: Yes you know me. I gave that away, didn't I? lol!

Thanks for the encouragement smile
Not confident about having a program together for this one, or having the time off to go.
I could probably play the Military Polonaise and the Minute Waltz and.. not sure which Mazurkas!?!?!

More troubled with what to fill the rest of the program, which needs work on top of the (currently non-existent) Chopin pieces.

If before the apps deadline i feel I may have a program ready, I might apply and if real life/work stops me from going then so be it! We'll see.....!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/11 04:43 PM

Jibbers - you played Chopin Fantasie Op 49 in FW, didn't you?

Keep in mind that you can still change your program at the last minute, before walking out on stage.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/11 01:27 AM

^^ (bingo!) ^^ smile

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/11 02:42 PM

Thanks Mark!

LisztAddict: thanks for the tip/reminder!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 03/25/12 09:34 PM

Deadline is coming right up (April 1). I hope LisztAddict will be coming again, and that perhaps some of our other members are applying!! smile
Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 03/25/12 09:51 PM

Mark--

ChopinAddict or LisztAddict? (Or both?)

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 03/25/12 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Thank you Andy! I corrected it!
Although y'know, at this event LisztAddict sort of becomes "ChopinAddict".... ha
Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 03/25/12 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Thank you Andy! I corrected it!
Although y'know, at this event LisztAddict sort of becomes "ChopinAddict".... ha

That would be something to see! grin

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 04/27/12 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jibbers
....Not confident about having a program together for this one, or having the time off to go....

I see happily that you reconsidered! thumb
Posted By: Piano Again

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 04/27/12 05:08 PM

Maybe next time around I'll be ready for this ... good luck to everyone.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 03:11 PM

Just keeping this thread warm.... smile

We have (at least) 5 members participating.

Schedule
Preliminary round: Sept. 11-12
Semi-finals: Sept. 13
Finals: Sept. 14
"Winners concert": Sept. 15
Posted By: fuzzy8balls

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 05:02 PM

So excited for this... my plane leaves Saturday evening and I will arrive Sunday. This will be my 2nd trip ever to Europe.

This is what I'm playing in the prelim on 2012.09.12 @ 6pm (9am Pacific)

Berceuse Op. 57 in D-flat major
Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in c# minor
Waltz Op. 42 in Ab major

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzy8balls
Berceuse Op. 57 in D-flat major

Challenging first piece! (For most people, not particularly for you.) smile

And we could say the same about Barcarolle, which I'll be starting with.

These pieces are what we might call 'deceptively' challenging -- they seem 'easier' than a lot of other pieces, but they really aren't. Not unlike how a lot of people think Mozart is 'easier' than whatever, as we keep seeing....
Posted By: Hakki

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 06:33 PM

I am in Warsaw now and visited the society and the university this afternoon. All are very friendly and it will obviously be a fantastic week. I am so excited to be playing in the homeland of Chopin.
Posted By: Sam S

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 07:29 PM

Good luck everyone!

Sam
Posted By: BruceD

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 07:33 PM

I am so impressed that several of our members are participating in this competition. Hakki, Gorden, Marc_C, LisztAddict : You all already are winners! Enjoy the experience!

Best regards,
Posted By: ChopinAddict

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BruceD
I am so impressed that several of our members are participating in this competition. Hakki, Gorden, Marc_C, LisztAddict : You all already are winners! Enjoy the experience!

Best regards,

Who is the 5th member? Mark said "(at least) 5 members"...
Good luck, everyone, and if there are videos to live performances (or also archived performances) please post them here! smile

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Who is the 5th member? Mark said "(at least) 5 members".....

It's a person who seems to prefer mostly laying low and who might want to be quiet about it, so I'll keep it that way until I hear otherwise. smile

BTW the reason I said "at least" is that there may well be other members who are in it but who haven't wanted to post about their doings. Also it's a good bet that yet other participants have at least lurked here. After all, it does seem in general that PW has many more readers than members!

And in fact, maybe this thread will help to bring more of those participants and other readers onto here! thumb
Posted By: Mati

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 08:19 PM

...and it seems I won't be able to attend after all frown I wish I could see all of you there! Sigh. Good luck! I will be keeping my fingers crossed! These will be one heck of a competition I presume, so many great players.

Do you know if Thomas is attending these year as well?

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 08:28 PM

So sorry to hear it, Mati! We'll miss you.

About Thomas: I don't know if he's attending but I'd guess probably not. Former winners and finalists don't usually attend these competitions unless they're participating again.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/07/12 08:40 PM

Ah, I completely forgot that - that's right. I never really exchanged many words with him, and I really wanted to, especially considering the fact he deemed me a friend on Facebook ;-)

I wish I could go and see you all guys, but unfortunately I am not able to skip the work in the middle of the week this time. The schedule is tight, and I promised my girl to have few days off with her the next week, so it's even more impossible for me to skip work right now.

I wish they would make online streaming of the competition just like they did with the "big" Chopin's competition, but it seems unlikely considering the scale.

Good thing is I will be able to participate in the next edition, as I will certainly meet the age requirements - so we'll see there, I hope! Or maybe there will be an opportunity earlier somewhere else?

M.
Posted By: Serge Marinkovic

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/08/12 12:51 AM

Best of luck and enjoyment for all our the Piano world forum participants. Enjoy the glorious events and music.
Posted By: Otis S

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/09/12 01:55 PM

Best regards,

I would like to reiterate BruceD's sentiments. It is great that all of you have achieved a world class level of amateur piano playing while sustaining impressive careers in entirely different fields.

While you are in the area, I recommend taking the time to see Warsaw and perhaps other parts of Poland (e.g. Krakow). Poland has a tragic history due to domination (and destruction) by both the Russians and the Germans that is quite apparent when visiting Warsaw. Chopin himself was very much affected by this. He emigrated to Paris as part of the 1831-1870 Great Emigration of Poles out of Poland due to Russian domination. Chopin arrived in Paris in 1831 and never returned to Poland. His Revolutionary Etude was supposedly inspired by the failed November Uprising (1830-1831) by Poland against Russian domination. Warsaw was almost completely destroyed by the Nazis in World War II. There are thus historical sites like the Royal Castle (Zamek Krolewski) which have been newly reconstructed since World War II.

Once again, congratulations and best of luck to (in alphabetical order) Gorden, Hakki, LisztAddict, and Marc_C!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/09/12 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Otis S
I would like to reiterate BruceD's sentiments. It is great that all of you have achieved a world class level of amateur piano playing while sustaining impressive careers in entirely different fields.

Thank you, Otis! How beautifully said. I'm not sure I quite live up to exactly what you said grin but I happily accept the compliment, and I'm sure the others do too.

While you are in the area, I recommend taking the time to see Warsaw and perhaps other parts of Poland (e.g. Krakow). Poland has a tragic history due to domination (and destruction) by both the Russians and the Germans that is quite apparent when visiting Warsaw. Chopin himself was very much affected by this....

Yes -- we did last time, helped by a very nice guided tour that was offered by the organization and which they will do again this time. Also my wife and I will be going to Krakow for a few days after the competition.

I'm very conscious of the history that you talked about, especially because my family was from there and Poland's story was very much their story. Poland's history in general is that of a landlocked country constantly being invaded and dominated by others. The recent independence is a blessing and Poland has been thriving wonderfully in it. It is a joy to see and to experience.

BTW Otis, it sounds like you've been to Poland yourself and know it quite well??
Posted By: Batuhan

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/09/12 02:09 PM

Is there any possibility to watching live on Internet.?
Posted By: Andromaque

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/09/12 03:35 PM

Cheers to all participants, especially "our" locals. Do blog about your experience!
Posted By: Otis S

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/09/12 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Otis S

Thank you, Otis! How beautifully said. I'm not sure I quite live up to exactly what you said grin but I happily accept the compliment, and I'm sure the others do too.

While you are in the area, I recommend taking the time to see Warsaw and perhaps other parts of Poland (e.g. Krakow). Poland has a tragic history due to domination (and destruction) by both the Russians and the Germans that is quite apparent when visiting Warsaw. Chopin himself was very much affected by this....

Yes -- we did last time, helped by a very nice guided tour that was offered by the organization and which they will do again this time. Also my wife and I will be going to Krakow for a few days after the competition.

I'm very conscious of the history that you talked about, especially because my family was from there and Poland's story was very much their story. Poland's history in general is that of a landlocked country constantly being invaded and dominated by others. The recent independence is a blessing and Poland has been thriving wonderfully in it. It is a joy to see and to experience.

BTW Otis, it sounds like you've been to Poland yourself and know it quite well??

I have been to Poland twice and helped organize a computer science conference there a few years ago. One of my most vivid memories of Poland was a a concert that I saw by the Polish Pianist Rafal Blechacz in Wroclaw. This was in 2005 about a week after he became the first Pole to win 1st prize in the International Chopin Piano Competition since Krystian Zimerman won it 30 years earlier in 1975. The host of the meeting I was attending got the tickets in advance as the concert was completely sold out (and then some). I have never attended a classical music concert like that in the US with anywhere near the same level of excitement and anticipation by the audience . There was a huge crowd of people surrounding the concert hall who could not get tickets. He played a magnificent all-Chopin concert which included the A flat major polonaise, op. 62 no 1 nocturne, Barcarolle, 4th scherzo, 3 mazurkas, and the 3rd piano sonata (the only non-Chopin piece was the 3rd encore, Debussy's Claire de Lune). While I have seen many great piano concerts, there was something about the combination of hearing superb performances of several of Chopin's sublime masterpieces in his native country, excitement level in the audience, and the historical significance of the occasion that made Mr. Bechacz's Wroclaw concert a unique experience for me.

Wroclaw itself has an interesting history. It is in Silesia and used to be the city of Breslau in Germany. During World War II, Russia annexed eastern parts of Poland. After World War II, Poland was given some land from Germany, including Breslau, which Poland renamed to Wroclaw. People from the parts of Poland annexed by Russia were relocated to places like Wroclaw/Breslau after World War II. The city has a rich history going back hundreds of years. However, surviving families of people living in that city prior to 1945 almost all moved elsewhere after World War II.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/09/12 10:43 PM

Great additional post by Otis.

And meanwhile.....

Originally Posted by Andromaque
....Do blog about your experience!

Uh, OK. grin

I already have an excuse if my playing sux: We had to evacuate from our hotel because of.....dunno what, they're saying "technical problem," but that seems pretty much like a euphemism, including because there was a security guy going through the hotel with a sniffing police dog. Worst thing about it (except for the obvious): If the dog sniffs my clothing I won't be able to wear it. (Severe allergy.) But that means even if you don't know what I look like, you might be able to recognize me in the competition: I'll be the naked guy. frown

We won't be able to go back to the hotel till tomorrow morning at the earliest -- and we're not sure we want to go back there anyway, because even if it's declared safe, it might not be.

Clothing or no clothing, I play on Wednesday at 5:00 (Poland time).

Posted By: LadyChen

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/09/12 10:55 PM

How disruptive! I hope things improve for you in the coming days.

I would take the dog thing as a good excuse to go shopping!! smile
Posted By: Andromaque

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/09/12 10:57 PM

Break a leg Mark!
Yeah and a real nice hotel security-dog allergy story! Insert eyeroll here! laugh

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/10/12 09:26 AM

Back at hotel, everything apparently fine, dog probably didn't come into our room, credible excuse probably no longer present.

Thanks for the concerns and funny comments. grin
Posted By: Works1

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/10/12 10:04 AM

Wow, good luck to the four (or five) of you. What a wonderful experience.

Is the competition being broadcast on internet? I would love to watch.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/11/12 03:26 PM

Seems that it's not being streamed. So, you'll have to be taking our word for how we play. grin

BTW, I heard Gorden play some of his pieces at an informal "library" concert this afternoon -- library in quotes because that's what they call it, but right now it's just a grand old building that's torn up and under construction, and with would-be books-on-bookshelves painted on a couple of walls. I guess the real books will be there in due course.

Gorden played Berceuse, two waltzes (Op. 42 and the C# minor from Op. 64), and the Op. 59 mazurkas. Despite it being a tough piano and performing space, he was absolutely wonderful -- truly world-class, and in great shape. He's ready.

BTW I played too. Let's say I was sort of OK. smirk

We both play our 1st round tomorrow evening. Hakki is right before me, and LisztAddict is the second person after Gorden.
Posted By: Playagain

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/11/12 04:45 PM

Best wishes to all of you!!! I can't wait to hear more about it! I wish I could hear all of you play! Good luck!
Kathy

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/11/12 06:51 PM

Good luck and continue to makes proud to follow your exploits. Hopefully no performance anxiety to our participants.
Posted By: Peyton

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/11/12 10:17 PM

Good luck Mark! Best to LA too.

I may have missed it in the above threads... what will you be playing?
Posted By: sophial

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 04:25 AM

Good Luck to all of our PW members who will be there! we're proud of you!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 11:00 AM

Thanks again for all the well wishes!

Originally Posted by Peyton
....I may have missed it in the above threads... what will you be playing?

Barcarolle and E minor Waltz

.....and about what I said about my playing in the 'library' recital yesterday:

....BTW I played too. Let's say I was sort of OK. smirk

That was an extreme euphemism. It was pretty terrible. smile

I had problems with the piano and especially with the bench, which didn't go low enough for me, so I was very uncomfortable physically. It seems that some people are good enough and adaptable enough that they can play very well regardless of anything, but I'm not; can't help it. The Barcarolle had problems but was OK enough that maybe I could have gotten away with it, the Waltz was atrocious, and the F# minor Polonaise was the only piece that was sort of good; I guess by then I had gotten comfortable enough with the bench and piano to be able to play. I'm glad to say that today, during my practice time (we're given 2 hours a day, plus 45 minutes "warm-up" right before we perform) I recorded the two 1st-round pieces, and as bad as they were yesterday, that's how good they were today. Not 'great' by the highest standards of course, but good for what I can do. I hope to play as well when it counts. smile

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 01:11 PM

Please update who got into semifinal....Thx in advance.
Posted By: musica71

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 06:01 PM

I found the Piano at WIPAC for the Preliminary to be a beast. It seemed to need regulation..I really didn't handle it well. Some people can adapt in a hurry, not me (at least that day)....HATED IT!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 06:02 PM

We're on a break, waiting for the announcement of the semifinalists.

I heard part of Hakki's round from outside the auditorium, since he was right before me. I think he's definite for making the semifinals -- he played very very well, including the C major Etude 10/1. (Didn't hear our other members.)

I'll consider myself very fortunate if I advance. My playing was very mixed. I think my Barcarolle was quite good if you ignore the shaking fingers and the several associated screwups (notes that didn't come out, and a couple of rhythmic tics), which you might well not, and my waltz was.....not great -- some good things, but not solid -- many notes that just didn't come out and a couple of bad clinkers. My main chance is if they feel like writing off the bad aspects to nervousness and figure 'give him another chance,' which sometimes happens in these competitions.

I didn't hear that many of the people, but from what I did hear, it seems the level is even higher than last time and that there are several very high level top contenders. Gorden seems to have as good a chance as anybody to win, and I look for him to win.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 06:27 PM

Thank you very much for the update!!!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 06:41 PM

Yikes...Can't wait!!!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 07:29 PM

The List is out!!!
Options

Towarzystwo im. Fryderyka Chopina
http://konkurs.amator.chopin.pl/index.php?DOC=zakwalifikowani_I

Towarzystwo im. Fryderyka Chopina. Miedzynarodowy Konkurs im.Fryderyka Chopina Amatorów - II etap -.
konkurs.amator.chopin.pl
Towarzystwo im. Fryderyka Chopina
Like · · Share · 4 minutes ago ·
Posted By: JimF

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 07:35 PM

Congrats to Gorden, Mark and Hakki for making round two. Wish we could hear and see your performances.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 07:53 PM

Thank you!

Would you believe, all 5 of the PW people made it.
18 out of 40 are advancing, including all 5 of us.

(The 'mystery' 5th member is "Jibbers" -- Iona Luke. She said it's OK for me to say.) smile

Congrats to Hakki, Gorden, Thang, and Iona. As per what I said in the previous post, I consider myself very fortunate to be joining them.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 08:13 PM

Congrat!!!!!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 08:40 PM

Congratulations to all of you!!!
Wish I could be there to hear all of you play! Best wishes!
Kathy

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 09:11 PM

Congratulations to all of you! I see I am apparently missing an extraordinary playing here. Good luck in the semifinals!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 09:13 PM

Congratulations to all seven Americans in the second round.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 10:22 PM

Very Impressive!!! Too bad we cannot all be listening.

So what is next Mark?

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/12/12 11:26 PM

Congratulations to everyone - that is so exciting!

Sam
Posted By: Tim Adrianson

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 12:27 AM

Congratulations at all! And, I commend the Warsaw Competition for moving 18 contestants into the semi-finals, from the original pool of 40 or so. In an Amateur Competition, I think it's important that a reasonable percentage of contestants have an opportunity to advance -- reasonable, IMO, meaning 1/3 to 1/2. With all the time spent learning and usually memorizing the repertoire, it's just nice to be able to present at least half of it for an interested audience.
Posted By: pg2

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 01:35 AM

CoNgratulations to all
Posted By: Numerian

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 02:33 AM

I count seven competitors I have come to know through the Chicago Amateur Piano Competition or through Piano World. Congratulations to Mark, Hakki, Anne Marie, Graeme, Gorden, Thang, and Carl for advancing in this competition. When your talent continues to be recognized by advancement in different competitions, it is time to recognize that you rank among the top amateur pianists in the world. That alone makes all your work and devotion to the piano to be worth it.

Good luck on the next round!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 05:25 AM

Here's Mark and I getting our welcome cards into the semifinal round:

[Linked Image]

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 06:28 AM

Gorden: Thanks for posting the pic! I'm honored to be with you and the others in this round.

Peyton: I'm playing two mazurkas (Op. 56 #1 in B major, and Op. 68 #4 in F minor), and the Fantaisie in F minor, Op. 49.
Posted By: FarmGirl

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 07:41 AM

Wow, congratulations! I am so happy and excited for all of you. I really wish we could hear.. Don't they record it at all?

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 01:12 PM

Continue to keep us posted. This is all very exciting. And good luck to all of you in the semi-final round!
Posted By: Emanuel Ravelli

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 02:43 PM

Thank you!

Would you believe, all 5 of the PW people made it.
18 out of 40 are advancing, including all 5 of us.

(The 'mystery' 5th member is "Jibbers" -- Iona Luke. She said it's OK for me to say.) smile

Congrats to Hakki, Gorden, Thang, and Iona. As per what I said in the previous post, I consider myself very fortunate to be joining them.

Best of luck to all PW artists in the semis -- especially to Mark, whose posts in this and (so many) other threads make this forum more interesting and enjoyable for all the rest of us. Except You-know-who.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 05:03 PM

Thank you, Phil!
And another reason to wish luck especially to me is, I need it. ha

The semifinals are over and the results aren't out yet but I'm reasonably sure I'm not advancing, which is why I'm feeling free to take time to post here rather than getting ready to play again tomorrow. If I had played up to my capacity, I might have a chance, but y'know, I usually don't play up to my capacity at these things, which of course raises the question of what my capacity actually is. [Linked Image]

My first mazurka (56/1) has two tricky sections of running 8th notes. Midway through the first one, I missed a note (it just didn't come out), which wouldn't have been fatal except that apparently I got disconcerted and started racing a little with the tempo (I didn't realize it; my wife had to tell me after), and the second 8th note section was a series of unintended accelerations. My second mazurka (68/4) was (I think) very good, and I think the F minor Fantaisie was likewise, except for a funny thing that happened (funny as long as you're not me). My foot just somehow lost the pedal during a section that needed it, and it took me a while to find it. It's a section where you need to be looking at the keyboard, but there I was, looking down at my feet, looking at the pedals, looking back and forth between my feet and the pedals and keyboard, seeing my foot I-don't-know-where, looking back at the keyboard, looking back at the pedals and seeing that now my foot was on the middle pedal....I really couldn't tell you what happened next, except that the whole time I continued playing this passage that required pedal, but without pedal, and probably with most of the notes, but who knows. The judges were probably wondering, has this guy ever played a piano before. For the rest of the piece, I kept glancing down at the pedals to make sure my feet were in the right place (and they weren't always exactly). It seemed to me that the pedals on this piano are a bit closer together than on most pianos (it's a Hamburg Steinway) and that this is why I could have such a problem, but I don't know if that's so.

Aside from that the piece was probably real good. ha

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 05:07 PM

Thanks again for the coverage!

It will be fun if you can give your choice of finalists? and later be compared to the actual.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 05:35 PM

Mark, Enjoy you candid "blow by blow" summary of your playing. Automatic Pilot..that is the answer.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 06:02 PM

It's amazing you can remember all that detail. Sounds like you did a good job overall. The opus 49 is no easy piece!

The judges should give you "bonus" points for keeping your composure when your foot lost the damper pedal.

In the meantime, you are the only we have heard from....we need to hear from the others grin

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Works1
....In the meantime, you are the only we have heard from....we need to hear from the others grin

The thing is, they're busy. grin

They all made it!!

Yes, only I kept it from being a clean sweep for us. [Linked Image]

Congrats to Hakki, Gorden, Thang, and Iona -- they're all in the finals. smile

Originally Posted by Works1
The judges should give you "bonus" points for keeping your composure when your foot lost the damper pedal.

They probably did! But with my rhythmic sins, that wouldn't have been nearly enough.

Originally Posted by musica71
Mark, Enjoy you candid "blow by blow" summary of your playing. Automatic Pilot..that is the answer.

My old teacher Seymour Bernstein often uses the phrase, and really, I used to have an "automatic pilot" that carried me through pretty well. But as I've gotten further and become more ambitious, I've mostly abandoned it in favor of listening closely and trying to keep building on the music that's coming out. And I think it enables me to do more interesting things, and I enjoy the playing much more -- but it's vulnerable.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 07:21 PM

http://konkurs.amator.chopin.pl/index.php?DOC=zakwalifikowani_II

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 07:25 PM

It's fun to get on here to see what's happening!

Congratulations, Mark, for making it to the semi-finals--that is a huge achievement! Congratulations to the four members who are in the finals, and best wishes to all of you!
Kathy

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/13/12 10:28 PM

Mark, bummer but.... I know I speak for all when I say how "assumated" (I think I just made that up) I am that you can do what you do. Just being able to play in a competition of this caliber (much less one over seas) and get as far as you did is fantastic. I hope to hear you play down in NYC live some day. That would be a real treat.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 09:39 AM

Thanks, Peyton! And I hope to come to more of your art shows. We love the piece that I got from you last year. thumb

The finals begin in a few hours (4 PM Poland time, it's now about 11:40). We'll be hearing all 8 finalists. Wish I were up there with them, but then again I sort of don't. This is more comfortable. smile

Aside from the stress of it (not to mention realizing that I'm not playing well enough), it really is hard work when you keep advancing in a competition, and exhausting -- or at least it is for me, especially when there aren't any extra days between rounds. You rejoice when you learn that you've made the next round, but then you realize that tomorrow you have to play a whole other program, and if you're like me (which I think the others aren't) grin you've been spending most of your time the last few days on the 1st round pieces, and now....
Which means that I wouldn't really have had enough time to get my finals pieces ready either. The judges know what they're doing. smile

For recitals we have to prepare much more music to play at once, but it doesn't feel like nearly as much of a big deal. I'm not clear on exactly why competitions are so much harder. All I can say is that for competitions, we feel that we're more under a microscope and that every detail counts much more -- and that's true, but the reason I'm not ready to say that's the whole answer is that if I'd just played as well as I do in recitals (and I did play the whole program a couple of months ago), it would have been much better, and perhaps good enough -- and I think that's true for most of the competitors: we play better when we haven't been working quite so hard and when we're not putting so much emphasis on everything. I think probably an extra element of the stress is that in our own recitals, we feel more free to be ourselves, and in competitions....y'know how it is, you feel at least to some extent that you also have to be doing what will be considered proper. I don't mean this just in the sense of constraint, but also reaching higher levels, which means being better than our best -- and maybe that's the main answer right there.

So, those are the kinds of things that our 4 other members have succeeded against and triumphed over. Wishing them all well in the finals! And maybe some time we can look at what makes Piano Forum people do so well. Maybe it's a coincidence, but maybe not. smile
Posted By: lilylady

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 09:45 AM

Scary stuff to most of us, the thought of competing.

As I was reading your post, Mark, about losing the pedal, I was thinking now how could your foot have lost a pedal?

HA! I then remembered that once, on a piano strange to me, that I, too, lost the damper and found myself on the middle pedal. Very strange it was, to my thinking!

How could they have moved over? How could I have moved over?

Gotta be the piano, right?

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 11:59 AM

Aside from the stress of it (not to mention realizing that I'm not playing well enough), it really is hard work when you keep advancing in a competition, and exhausting -- or at least it is for me, especially when there aren't any extra days between rounds. You rejoice when you learn that you've made the next round, but then you realize that tomorrow you have to play a whole other program, and if you're like me (which I think the others aren't) you've been spending most of your time the last few days on the 1st round pieces, and now

From several years of observations, I can say that Van Clibrun, Paris, Chopin, Chicago and Boston are basically the grand slams of Amateur piano competition. The others are second tier competitions.

For the purpose of this discussion, we are only discussing the grand slam of the amateur piano competitions,in general, we can categorize people into 4 categories:
-Prelim material people ( these people can consistently get into the competition, like me (yes, I am in this category))
-Semifinal material people (for example Mark C)
-Finalist people
-Winner people

Therefore, people who had joined these grand slams for awhile should know in what category that they belong to. If one is consistently stuck in the semifinal stage, one does not even need to polish his/her final program. If they have time to prepare is good, but if not, they should not worry.

Most people are just prelim material, in this case, just practice prelim pieces really hard, and also semi pieces so that he/she will not be embarrassed if a miracle happened that he/she gets into semi.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 11:59 AM

How crass would it be to play barefoot... smile I know I've been playing some Satie, using the middle pedal and I don't think I would be able to find it with shoes on. laugh

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 01:27 PM

RonaldSteinway, you are an ass.

Don't forget to add yourself to the list of people who are:

-prelim material
-cowards that hide behind a computer and trash talk about other competitors and competitions

Telling people they shouldn't bother practicing beyond a certain point because they won't get anywhere is the pinnacle of douche-baggery. You can reserve this advice just for yourself because it's where it's most appropriate.

fcuk off

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 01:34 PM

Thanks, Gorden.

I wouldn't have had the ______ to reply as you did, but I would have wanted to. smile

And y'know, he's not completely wrong -- but wrong enough that it shouldn't be said, at least not that way.

I think he's even basically right about what 'category' I'm in -- but there's no reason to try to 'pigeonhole' us or limit us in such a way.

Any of us. smile

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 02:52 PM

Mark and Gorden be real and honest!

Here, I put myself in the prelim material. I know for me, passing prelim is my current goal.

It is the fact that not everybody has the same ability regardless how much they practice, and people should be honest to themselves. Otherwise, they will spend their valuable time for something that is not reachable at the current time. As time goes by and IF the quality of the playing getting better, they should adjust the expectation. Don't you know that many competitors have started realizing this reality. Many of them do not even practice their final pieces. I think it is a smart time management. It is not pigeonholing people. I used Mark as an example, because everybody knows him. It is not easy to pass the prelim, it is a big accomplishment to be able to get into semifinal.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 03:03 PM

I understand what R. Steinway is getting at....but it is not that simple. I think one HAS to be prepared somewhat, but we can tell looking at the list (and knowing the people on it) pretty much who will be in the Finals. I REALLY do hope that more Competitions can try the Gold- Silver concept as was done in Berlin. Many of us do not want to be in the finals at a Big Time Competition. To carefully prepare 2 rounds, SO comfortable.
Posted By: boo1234

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Mark and Gorden be real and honest!

Here, I put myself in the prelim material. I know for me, passing prelim is my current goal.

It is the fact that not everybody has the same ability regardless how much they practice, and people should be honest to themselves. Otherwise, they will spend their valuable time for something that is not reachable at the current time. As time goes by and IF the quality of the playing getting better, they should adjust the expectation. Don't you know that many competitors have started realizing this reality. Many of them do not even practice their final pieces. I think it is a smart time management. It is not pigeonholing people. I used Mark as an example, because everybody knows him. It is not easy to pass the prelim, it is a big accomplishment to be able to get into semifinal.

Correct me if I am wrong, but these people do not play piano for a career and enter the competitions for enjoyment. This is how they choose to "spend their valuable time," like others do on other recreation.

Congrats to everyone! So impressed that half of the finalists are PW members!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 04:14 PM

RonaldSteinway: please don't clutter this thread with your opinions about piano competitions - we have heard it all from you before. Start a new thread if you want to discuss it and leave this thread for reports from the competition.

Sam

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sam S
RonaldSteinway: please don't clutter this thread with your opinions about piano competitions - we have heard it all from you before. Start a new thread if you want to discuss it and leave this thread for reports from the competition.

Sam

You can just ignore, or put me in your ignore list.
Posted By: Midlife_Piano

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 04:55 PM

I will try to write something to direct this thread back to the topic because I don't want to ignore this entire thread.

Congrats to all - yes, including Mark! I am very interested to know each finalist's program. Mark, would you please post here (as much as you can remember)??

Can't wait to hear the report from Mark and other PW members.

Many thanks!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 08:58 PM

Jury II Międzynarodowego Konkursu im. Fryderyka Chopina dla Pianistów Amatorów
postanowiło przyznać nagrody następującym uczestnikom Konkursu:

1. nagroda

Gil Jetley

Nowa Zelandia
2. nagroda

Toshiko Asano

Japonia
3. nagroda

Gorden Cheng

Stany Zjednoczone
3. nagroda

Jun Kinoshita

Japonia

Jury przyznało 3 równorzędne wyróżnienia następującym finalistom
w porządku alfabetycznym:

Carl di Casoli

Stany Zjednoczone
Thang Dinh

Stany Zjednoczone
Iona Luke

Wielka Brytania

Nagrodę za najlepsze wykonanie utworu Chopina otrzymuje:

Hakki Bayka

Turcja

Nagrodę dla najlepszego uczestnika. który nie wszedł finału otrzymuje:

Mark Cannon-Mochorowski Polska< from Poland???????

Nagrodę publiczności otrzymuje:

Stefan Walczykiewicz Polska
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 09:11 PM

I think how much preparation one does for each round is a personal decision. I can imagine that some people who don't really expect to get beyond the first round would still choose to devote their practice time equally to all their pieces. They might rather learn more repertoire even though they realize they might not be able to prefect those pieces to their own personal maximum level.

If someone's goal is only to make it past the first round, they might choose to devote a disproportionate amount of their time to their first round pieces.

I think someone's goal in entering a competition is only up to them. There is no right or wrong.

When accepting awards there are occasionally a few who say something like "I wasn't really expecting to win so I didn't prepare a speech." I can't imagine any competition participant has said something like that before they start playing in a round beyond the first, but it would be kind of amusing.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 09:59 PM

Congratulations to all PW members here! The palette of achievements is truly grand smile I am really happy Mark got the the best non-finalist award. Though I have not been to the competition, knowing Mark's playing I am positive he truly deserved it!

I am also really happy for Thang, Iona nad Hakki! CONGRATULATIONS, guys! You are the best!

And last but not least - I remember Gil's playing in the last competition and I am sad I was not able to hear him today. He was already a very serious player back then and I enjoyed his concert very much, and apparently he improve even more - it must have been a great experience to listen to him at the piano. I enjoyed talking to him much too!

Once again, congratulations to all and... I hope to see you in the next 3 years, this time on stage! Please, post more about the finals, I am curious! smile

Mateusz

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mati
Congratulations to all PW members here! The palette of achievements is truly grand smile I am really happy Mark got the the best non-finalist award....

Thanks, Mati (and thanks also for the Facebook message!) -- by the way, how did you know?

I was totally floored by it, and of course very pleased, on various levels. First of all of course, the ego doesn't mind it grin but besides that, it means that behind the various screw-ups, I was getting something across, and was thrilled and gratified that these musical things I believe in were felt to be of some value.

It's an unusual kind of award, isn't it, "highest ranked non-finalist." I was thinking maybe I should get a button printed up that says "I Sucked Less." My wife suggested simply Biggest Loser. But I'll take it. It's the best affirmation you can get on the day after you've been eliminated.

BTW Ronald -- where did you find that listing of the awards?? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Yes, Gorden tied for 3rd. I truly and fairly confidently thought he was going to be 1st.
Don't get me wrong -- 3rd is a high award in such a competition, of course; heck, just making the finals is a high award. But I'm sure Gorden hoped for better, and IMO he would have deserved it.

Originally Posted by Midlife_Piano
....I am very interested to know each finalist's program....would you please post here (as much as you can remember)??....

With the help of the program book.....(and in the order that they played):
(all works are by Chopin)

Gil Jetley:
Polonaise #2 (Eb minor)
Two Etudes, Op. 10 # 10 & 11
Ballade #1

Jun Kinoshita:
Scherzo #2
Nocturne in Bb major, 55/2
A-flat Polonaise (Op. 53)

Iona Luke:
Polonaise #1 (C# minor)
Fantaisie in F minor

Toshiko Asano:
3 Mazurkas, Op. 50
ASGP (Andante Spianato etc. - please pardon the abbrev; I'll be needing it a lot) smile

Hakki Bayka:
Fantaisie in F minor
Grande Polonaise from ASGP

Carl di Casoli:
Ballade #4
ASGP

Gorden Cheng:
Scherzo #2
Minute Waltz
ASGP

Thang Dinh:
Polonaise #4 (C minor)
Scherzo #1
Ballade #2

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 11:19 PM

Well I think it's pretty freaking awesome, congratulations Mark!

You obviously made your mark (no pun intended) on the jury grin

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 11:25 PM

Thanks, Works1!
And BTW, I just learned (while looking through the organization's website to try to find where Ronald saw that listing) that this is an actual formal award, including a nice monetary prize. I hadn't thought so.

And maybe it's worth mentioning that this competition has probably the most substantial monetary awards of any amateur competition, certainly the highest I've been aware of. Presumably, though, it doesn't mean we lose our "amateur status." grin
Posted By: Carey

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/14/12 11:47 PM

Thanks, Works1!
And BTW, I just learned (while looking through the organization's website to try to find where Ronald saw that listing) that this is an actual formal award, including a nice monetary prize. I hadn't thought so.

If I were you I'd be on Cloud 9 !!!!!!!

Congratulations Mark !!!!!!!!! yippie

Posted By: sophial

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 02:11 AM

Congratulations to all our PW participants- way to go!!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 02:24 AM

Mark... thumb thumb thumb

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 02:41 AM

Congratulations everyone, that is just awesome!

Sam

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 03:07 AM

BTW Ronald -- where did you find that listing of the awards?? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Congrat Mark....! So you placed number 9 then, since you are the best among non finalist. Now you'd better practice the final pieces then in the future, for you are very close to the finalist material people (sorry my way of classification). But it is true.

Here is the link for you enjoyment.

http://konkurs.amator.chopin.pl/index.php?DOC=zakwalifikowani_III
Posted By: ChopinAddict

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 04:23 AM

Congratulations, everyone! You did great! thumb

It's an unusual kind of award, isn't it, "highest ranked non-finalist." I was thinking maybe I should get a button printed up that says "I Sucked Less." My wife suggested simply Biggest Loser. But I'll take it. It's the best affirmation you can get on the day after you've been eliminated.

I think it must be nice to be so pleasantly surprised. They probably want to see you again at the next contest. smile
Posted By: MaryAnn

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 11:17 AM

Wow! Congrats to all the PW people! What a fantastic accomplishment!
Posted By: Tim Adrianson

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 05:04 PM

Well, I would say that the PW participants certainly more than acquitted themselves -- they "walked the walk"! Congratulations to Mark, Gorden, Hakki, Iona, and Thang for being the best of the best -- a status particularly deserved, considering they were playing in an environment acutely sensitive and knowing regarding Chopin's compositions. Also congratulations to Carl DiCasoli, who is not a PW member but who I remember from the Chicago Amateur Competition this past spring. Well done!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 08:47 PM

....and Carl let slip that he reads our site now and then. smile

Today was a great "Winners' Concert" -- Gorden played the Scherzo #2 wonderfully, and Hakki, as part of his award for best performance of a Chopin piece, gave the most beautiful, sensitive, poetic performance of Chopin's Nocturne in B major (62/1) that you can imagine. And I had another surprise: I got sort of drafted to say an appreciation to the organization on behalf of the participants, despite my asking "why me," and enjoyed the chance to express my sincere gratitude to both the organization and the audience.

Great competition, great enjoyment and camaraderie, and I know that a lot of us look forward to them doing this again in 3 years.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 08:56 PM

It sounds like it was really great fun for all.

Congrats Hakki!

Mark, did you at least have time in advance to prepare something to say or was it all last minute? (I'm not too good at spontaneous speaking stuff) blush

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 08:59 PM

The latter.
I was able to organize it in my mind while I was sitting on the stage and waiting for whenever my turn was going to be, and it also helped that there was an ongoing translation into Polish, which gave me pauses where I could think of exactly what I would say next. It would have been harder if I'd just been talking 'straight.'

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 09:33 PM

Great accomplishment for all!
Posted By: Carey

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 10:16 PM

....and Hakki, as part of his award for best performance of a Chopin piece, gave the most beautiful, sensitive, poetic performance of Chopin's Nocturne in B major (62/1) that you can imagine.

If Hakki played the Nocturne as well as he did in the recording he posted of it on PW a couple of months ago I have no doubt that it was beautiful, sensitive and poetic !!! Bravo !!! thumb

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/15/12 11:48 PM

Very nice of you to agree to speak especially without any time to prepare something. Sounds like you did just fine. Very commendable!

I hope you put in a shameless plug for Piano World wink
Posted By: Elene

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/16/12 03:14 AM

I'm thrilled for you all!

Elene
Posted By: FarmGirl

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/16/12 04:36 PM

Congratulations to all of the PW participants. You are all the stars to me. I am extremely proud of you. Well done. I wish I could hear the recording.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/17/12 03:24 PM

Sometimes it really is a small world.

My wife and I came to Krakow last night to spend a few days after the competition. I saw this guy walking through the lobby who looked like one of the contestants from the competition in Warsaw but figured it couldn't possibly be him, especially since I'm pretty awful at recognizing people that I don't know real well and I'm wrong about 90% of the time when I think somebody is somebody, so I didn't say anything. This morning I'm walking through the restaurant and there he is again, and I try to look away so he won't think I'm staring, and he says, "Hi Mark!" Darned if it wasn't him -- Jit Seng Khoo, a doctor from California by way of Indonesia (who also made the semi-finals). We talked for a while, and we may be getting together when he visits New York as he does sometimes.

An hour later, my wife and I are walking up to this historic castle across the street, and here comes this woman walking behind us who looks exactly like Iona Luke (our member "Jibbers") but I'm thinking, no way -- so, again, at first I don't say anything. But guess what. ha
So the three of us spent some nice time walking and talking together.

These things can be fun. smile

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/17/12 03:24 PM

Hi everyone, this is Iona.. I am still traveling so I will keep this short. Thanks to everyone on PW whose thoughts were with us during the competition and for your supportive posts on the forum.

The competition was very well organized by the Chopin society. The little touches such as a welcome card with our names on it when we advanced into the next stage, the opening concert, the closing ceremony, the Chopin music books we got given as gifts at the end, the tour to Chopin's birthplace etc, made me feel really special.

I had a great time at the competition, it was good learning experience for me as I almost never perform/play the piano outside of my own lounge room at home. It was also fabulous meeting the other PW members who played at the competition in person - Hakki, Mark, Thang and Gorden.

I also wish they recorded the performances but they didn't!
Posted By: BruceD

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/17/12 07:28 PM

Reading this thread has been such an exciting and uplifting experience, vicariously sharing the highlights of the events as they unfolded.

I don't really care what the "rankings" in this competition turned out to be. As I wrote earlier, you are all winners in my estimation and I'm so happy to have experienced some of the thrill of it all through the postings on this thread.

Please accept my sincerest and humble congratulations - each and every one of you - for your accomplishments along with my thanks for taking the time to share with us all.

Regards,

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/17/12 07:32 PM

Reading this thread has been such an exciting and uplifting experience, vicariously sharing the highlights of the events as they unfolded.

I don't really care what the "rankings" in this competition turned out to be. As I wrote earlier, you are all winners in my estimation and I'm so happy to have experienced some of the thrill of it all through the postings on this thread.

Please accept my sincerest and humble congratulations - each and every one of you - for your accomplishments along with my thanks for taking the time to share with us all.

Regards,

What he said thumb

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/17/12 08:06 PM

Some things I noticed while on the trip:

1) LOT Polish airlines has some kind of bastardized version of Chopin's raindrop prelude playing during boarding
2) Heathrow airport is huge and requires getting on a tram, bus, and/or multiple escalators to get around
3) UK females have bigger bums according to the bathroom icons
[Linked Image]
4) Floors in Poland start at 0 and the floor below that is -1
5) The Poles love BACON
[Linked Image]
6) KFC in Poland does not have mashed potatoes, gravy, potato wedges, or biscuits -- instead they have french fries. However their hot wings are about 50% bigger than the US
7) Polish street signs depicting people walking does not seem be head/body proportionate
8) Did I mention bacon is a topping for almost everything you order?
9) They put their bottled drinks upside down in the vending machines and not all of them are filled to the same capacity (seems like a quality control problem)
[Linked Image]
10) McDonalds actually has a "McCafe" inside of it, like a separate bar for coffee and desserts. They also have fried broccoli
[Linked Image]
11)

other photos:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/18/12 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzy8balls
Some things I noticed while on the trip:

1) LOT Polish airlines has some kind of bastardized version of Chopin's raindrop prelude playing during boarding
2) Heathrow airport is huge and requires getting on a tram, bus, and/or multiple escalators to get around
3) UK females have bigger bums according to the bathroom icons
[Linked Image]
4) Floors in Poland start at 0 and the floor below that is -1
5) The Poles love BACON
[Linked Image]
6) KFC in Poland does not have mashed potatoes, gravy, potato wedges, or biscuits -- instead they have french fries. However their hot wings are about 50% bigger than the US
7) Polish street signs depicting people walking does not seem be head/body proportionate
8) Did I mention bacon is a topping for almost everything you order?
9) They put their bottled drinks upside down in the vending machines and not all of them are filled to the same capacity (seems like a quality control problem)
[Linked Image]
10) McDonalds actually has a "McCafe" inside of it, like a separate bar for coffee and desserts. They also have fried broccoli
[Linked Image]
11)

other photos:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Quoted so we can see it all again. grin

(Except my pic which I've already seen a fair number of times.) ha
Thanks a million for posting it, not to mention for taking it (or I guess Judy was probably the one behind the camera!) -- much much appreciated. It was a great little moment for me and I had no idea anyone was shooting it.

BTW, the announcer/emcee (seen in one of the pics) was extraordinary, and added enormously to the event. He intoned our introductions and his other comments in a manner that I can only describe as sensuously elegant.
(Yes, sensuously.) smile
There was love in his every syllable.

P.S. Great and hilarious observations, Gorden. ha
And I got an extra kick out of that pic of the vending machine.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/18/12 03:45 PM

BTW, the announcer/emcee (seen in one of the pics) was extraordinary, and added enormously to the event. He intoned our introductions and his other comments in a manner that I can only describe as sensuously elegant.
(Yes, sensuously.) smile
There was love in his every syllable.

+1 to this.
The people i hang out with all wondered how the emcee's voice sounded so good and sensual over the microphone!! His voice could make us melt!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/19/12 05:58 AM

Mark C and Fuzzy8balls -- thanks for sharing some stories from this competition. I, and I suspect some others here, really enjoy living vicariously through your piano experiences smile.
Posted By: lisztvsthalberg

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/19/12 08:08 AM

Congrats to all! Go PW!

LOL @ the deep-fried broccoli
Posted By: Bobpickle

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/19/12 09:00 AM

Congratulations, indeed. I can only hope to participate in such a renowned event once I'm older - though my aspirations of someday procuring a musical degree may interfere!

Anyways, who else is suddenly hungry for some broccoli?

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/19/12 09:16 PM

Thanks too all PW members for your kind words!!

It was a fantastic event and congratulations to the organizers!!
They really did a very good job from the beginning to the end.
Hope that they will continue the event in every 3 years.

It was very nice to meet and have some warm conversations with Thang and Iona. I also had the opportunity to meet in person with Gorden and Mark.

I have just returned and will try to post the prize ceremony video soon.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/19/12 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hakki
....I have just returned and will try to post the prize ceremony video soon.

Meanwhile.... smile

How about these pics from the organization....(on their Facebook page)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/20/12 01:17 AM

Is that Hakki?

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/20/12 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by LadyChen
Is that Hakki?

Yes!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/20/12 11:38 PM

If anyone's interested in my final round:

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/23/12 08:22 AM

Here is the prize ceremony. Unfortunately a few minutes from the beginning where the jury chairman has made his speech in Polish is missing. The video is beginning with the English translation of the speech.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/23/12 02:52 PM

Wow! I didn't know if this had been recorded! And thanks for posting it here and on youtube.

Congratulations again to you on your achievements, especially the award for the best performance of a Chopin piece. It was a very special performance of the Nocturne.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/23/12 03:15 PM

Hakki, your performance was magnificant! It was a joy to watch.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/23/12 07:28 PM

And here are my Stage I and Stage II performances from the competition.

Stage I

Stage II

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/23/12 07:44 PM

The piano was a Hamburg Steinway? I see the piano front corner ends are flat instead of curved so it looks like an American instrument.

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/23/12 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Serge Marinkovic
The piano was a Hamburg Steinway? I see the piano front corner ends are flat instead of curved so it looks like an American instrument.

All I know is that the pedals were too close together! ha

But seriously folks.... I asked if it was a Hamburg Steinway and was told yes. As per what you said, I also associate those features with a NY Steinway, but I didn't think it was necessarily uniform, and apparently it isn't.
Posted By: OrpheusEF

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/24/12 03:30 AM

Wow, what a beautiful performance, Hakki! Congratulations. I particularly like your Stage 1 performance - it was wonderful.
Posted By: Furtwangler

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/24/12 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Serge Marinkovic

All I know is that the pedals were too close together! ha

But seriously folks.... I asked if it was a Hamburg Steinway and was told yes. As per what you said, I also associate those features with a NY Steinway, but I didn't think it was necessarily uniform, and apparently it isn't.

I don't know what you guys are looking at but it is quite obviously a Hamburg instrument.

Congratulations Mark!

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/30/12 04:04 PM

Thanks to Hakki and his wife, I'm lucky to have videos of my playing. As he explained to me, since I played right after him and she had the camera out after having videoed him, she went ahead and videoed me too. This was another wonderful surprise for me. I'm extremely grateful to them. (Including because I see that the playing came out a bit better than I'd thought it was.) [Linked Image]

My first round:
(Barcarolle and E minor Waltz -- the playing starts at 0:40)

BTW, I had never before 'wiped the keys' before playing, but I saw that some of the others were doing it so I figured maybe I'd better do it too. grin

Re: The Second Chopin Competition for Amateurs - 09/30/12 04:18 PM

Second round:
(Mazurka in B major, Op. 56 #1; Mazurka in F minor, Op. 68 #4; Fantaisie in F minor. The first measure and a half of the first piece are missing -- just a couple of seconds.)

The part in the Fantaisie where my foot lost the pedal (as I described) is from 13:15 to about 13:24. (Believe me, it felt a lot longer than that.) ha
If I didn't know exactly what happened, I don't think I'd be able to tell from the video -- probably all I'd know is that the whole passage is not quite right, including something odd about the pedaling but mainly the rhythm. Let's put it this way: it wasn't the worst thing about the piece [Linked Image] but I thought it was awful and it affected me a lot for the rest of the time. I think that's another difference between many professionals and amateurs: how well we're able to judge what we're doing, and how much we can be thrown off by mishaps.

P.S. I didn't 'wipe the keys' this time grin because when I came out on stage, I noticed that the music desk was on the piano. I took a moment to remove it and carry it to the side of the stage (after saying "Przepraszam" -- excuse me) and figured that was enough ado before starting to play.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums