Piano World Home Page
Posted By: slerk Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/10/10 01:14 AM
Like a chef who learns to use the shell to remove egg pieces, Pianists pick up on some clever tricks as well.

The question is if somebody else has discovered this trick before...

When playing a FF Chord or something SFP, is it well known to play quite loudly and "pump" the pedal twice to reduce the dynamic to MP/P?

I use this all the time, esp. in Pathetique where there are so many SFP's.

share your tricks!
Posted By: david_a Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/10/10 01:30 AM
Before performing any piece, play it at home a lot first. smile
Posted By: survivordan Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/10/10 03:24 AM
Lift up the fallboard before starting to play.
Posted By: scotpgot Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/10/10 04:10 AM
Use BOTH hands. Much easier.
Posted By: Ferdinand Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/10/10 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by slerk

The question is if somebody else has discovered this trick before...

When playing a FF Chord or something SFP, is it well known to play quite loudly and "pump" the pedal twice to reduce the dynamic to MP/P?

share your tricks!

I saw this demonstrated in a master class on the Pathetique; not sure now who was the teacher, may have been Robert Taub.
Posted By: Dave Horne Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/10/10 10:08 AM
A suggestion for accordion players - when playing a grand piano do not tip the piano on its side, that is dangerous.
Posted By: JGonzalezGUS Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/10/10 12:56 PM
Before playing a LONG piece, make sure you go to the bathroom - specially if you drank a lot of water before.
Posted By: Arghhh Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/12/10 05:41 AM
I thought this was a good topic. My current favourite trick is to look for places to redistribute notes between the hands.
Posted By: david_a Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/12/10 05:45 AM
It IS a good topic. Sorry for the side-track. frown

My actual tip is to look very carefully through difficult and/or very fast music, to find unexpected places for your muscles to take a bit of a rest.
Posted By: Toastburn Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/12/10 08:56 AM
s it well known to play quite loudly and "pump" the pedal twice to reduce the dynamic to MP/P?

Yes this is known, and I have a piece where this is explicitly called for in the score: it is in an arrangement of "The Snowy-breasted Pearl!" by Arthur S. Loam. Under a climactic discord of A-C#-G-A-C#-E# marked sf and a fermata marked lunga, a footnote says

"After or during the pause, if the pedal is operated three or four times (or more) in quick succession, a most affective diminuendo can be obtained on a FF or F chord"

The pedalling markks under the chord also indicate the "pumping" action called for.

And yes, its very useful in the Pathetique.

Posted By: survivordan Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/12/10 01:58 PM
My real tip is this: Before beginning to play a piece for a performance, mentally locate the most difficult sections and decide on an appropriate playing tempo based on whatever speed you can play those sections at comfortably.
Posted By: apple* Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/12/10 03:15 PM
Like a chef who learns to use the shell to remove egg pieces, Pianists pick up on some clever tricks as well.

share your tricks!

I don't really have tricks for piano but I wanted to comment on the eggshell tip. I was a chef and found that if one were to whisk or beat eggs in a steel bowl, the shell bits stick to the sides of the bowl and do not need to be tediously removed.
Posted By: Damon Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/12/10 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by apple*

I don't really have tricks for piano but I wanted to comment on the eggshell tip. I was a chef and found that if one were to whisk or beat eggs in a steel bowl, the shell bits stick to the sides of the bowl and do not need to be tediously removed.

Do you have a good tip for keeping the egg from sticking to the shell when they are hard boiled? smile

Posted By: Sorcerer88 Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/12/10 10:16 PM
for octave glissandi, lick your thumb and pinky beforehand for better gliding. as seen in 'they came to play' by the competition winner drew for a beethoven sonata laugh was it tempest or appassionata [edit: it's waldstein]?

by the way, this should also be possible by going over your nostrils, which are quite oily, at least it's a common flute practice.
Posted By: Kuanpiano Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/12/10 10:21 PM
^^ That's that Waldstein. I've had that trick recommended to me several times...though if the piano's not ridiculously heavy to play, I can do the gliss.
Posted By: Batuhan Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/12/10 10:59 PM
Dont make orgasmic face expressions always hide your feelings when you playing a piece on the piano.
Posted By: pianoist d'amore Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/14/10 01:07 AM
R-E-A-L-L-Y? I will try this one out. Thanks for sharing! smile

Posted By: pilgrim Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/14/10 01:14 AM
As a general rule, remove the dots in baroque music, turning them into rests.
For some, alternating octaves with 5-4 on the outer end can be quicker, especially for chromatic passages
Two note slurs in mozart are always a down up feeling, a sigh motif (I'm sure most know that...)
Posted By: gooddog Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/14/10 01:15 AM
I found the perfect preparation for just the right feeling of contact with the keys without slipping or sticking too much is to scratch my dogs. Really. They don't get bathed often because I clip them every 6 weeks. It gives my hands just the right feeling, (and they love it). Good dog!
Posted By: pianoist d'amore Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/14/10 01:16 AM
Here I found this one for you --
"The best compromise is to use eggs that have been stored on their sides in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days."

BTW,I think this is a great thread. Eggs are great for pianist - when my friend started learning piano, her dad asked her to hold eggs for hours (she was around 4) and she passed grade 8 in just three years when she was 7. Eggs help a lot!

Originally Posted by Damon

Do you have a good tip for keeping the egg from sticking to the shell when they are hard boiled? smile

Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/14/10 01:35 AM
If you have a grand and go on holiday, close the lid or you might find a rat or a snake in your piano when you come back.
Posted By: apple* Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/14/10 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Damon

no.. I don't, and I peeled a million eggs in my day. Sometimes the shells stick... that's all there is to it. However, we used to order prepeeled eggs for events, so there must be a chemical or something that DOES work.

..and about the eggs in a bowl.. I don't know that the bowl must be stainless steel. Our bowls were made of steel so I never tried another material.
Posted By: Victor25 Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/15/10 01:59 PM
Put in the cheatcode "gabbagabbahey" to get infinite ammunition.
Posted By: apple* Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/15/10 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Victor25

i don't know what you mean by that.
Posted By: I'll be Bach Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/15/10 03:40 PM

i don't know what you mean by that.

Well besides being phrase in a Ramones tune...it is a well known "cheat code" from an old video game Descent
Posted By: Stevester Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/19/10 03:05 AM
I have a little chef training/experience as well so here goes on the egg question. Older eggs (not yet expired) are easier to peel, something to do with air permeating the shell. Also after cooling them in real cold water crack them all the way around and toss them back in the cold water for a minute or so, then peel.

Past my bed time but this is making me hungry, I think I will go check the fridge.

Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/19/10 03:30 AM

For me, it was "Enchilada."

(Metal of Honor: Rising Sun for Xbox)
Posted By: TheHappyMoron Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/20/10 12:16 AM
I read in a book of the Beethoven sonatas that, for op 109, a good way to start the piece is to imagine the first few bars before beginning, and thus gaining a consistent tempo from the kick-off. I presume this would work for most pieces.
Posted By: scotpgot Re: Piano Hints/Tricks - 12/20/10 12:24 AM
For piano-playing: One should always feel natural. NEVER forced or tense.

For egg-peeling: I use the "boiling water to ice cold water" trick. I tell myself it has something to do with the eggs inside contracting faster than the shell on the outside. But that could easily be my imagination. smile
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums