Piano World Home Page
Posted By: PaulaPiano34 Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 06:30 PM
Hello! I'm just curious to see what you guys' general opinon of Mozart is, your favorite sonatas/concertos, what Mozart sonatas/concertos you're learning etc...

I'll go first: Right now I'm learning Mozart's Sonata in D K311 and Concerto no 25 in C. I love the A Minor Sonata (K310) and the other D Major Sonata (K576) as well as concertos no. 27 and 23. I like Mozart very much but he's so difficult to interpret/perform. Everything seems done in nuance/shades.

Thanks!
--Milana
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 06:34 PM
It changes by the day. smile

Right now: I guess, Piano Concerto in C, K. 467

(I recognize them by "K" numbers more than by "number numbers." I happen to know what's "#27" because it's the last one, but I have no idea which is #23. I'm guessing that most people go by the K numbers, but not sure.....)
Posted By: JGonzalezGUS Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 07:02 PM
A long time ago I learned several of the Sonatas; no concerti.

Right now I'm slowing re-learning some: first was C K545 (of course), then I tackled a new one (for me), also in C K279. And now I'm re-learning A K331.

Like I said, haven't learned any concerti, but my very favorite is d minor K466.
Posted By: stores Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mark_C
... but I have no idea which is #23.

K.488
Posted By: Mostly Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 08:52 PM
K466, D minor concerto ! For some reason it is very Brahms-like to my ears (the first movement especially). Yeah I know...

My favorite sonata... Hard to say. I like the first movement of the A minor the best, but I was never really too fond of the other movements. The C minor sonata is nice too.
Posted By: Kreisler Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 09:12 PM
Favorite...

Sonata: K330

Concerto: K450
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 10:43 PM
I'm also playing the K. 311 D Major Sonata, and I LOVE it.

I don't know which concerto I like the most. They're consistently good.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by stores
... but I have no idea which is #23.
K.488

Good answer -- I mean, you could have just said the dreaded "Do a search." ha

Funny.....that's the one and only Mozart concerto I've ever seriously worked on -- and I didn't know it's "number number," just the K.

P.S. I know that you might prefer to consider "the K" as meaning you.... smile
Posted By: Pogorelich. Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 11:24 PM
Two piano sonata!!! One of the most genius of the genre.
Posted By: stores Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/13/10 11:48 PM
I have too many favorite Mozart concertos to name just one so I'll list a few...K.415, K. 453, K.459, K.466, K. 488, K.595.
Sonatas...K.310, K.332, K.457

I also agree with Pogo about the two piano sonata. It's brilliant!
Posted By: boo1234 Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 01:10 AM
The two piano sonata, piano duet sonata k 521, the 2 piano concerto, k271, 17th concerto, #27, #21, #25, #22, #16, #15 ... heck I like pretty much all of them.
Posted By: antony Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 01:42 AM
The one I am working on right now: K 330. It's actually one of my favorite pieces. A lot of the concertos as well. Just heard on the radio that his first four concertos were arrangements of piano sonatas by other contemporaries at the time. His fifth was the first entirely his own, which they then played. It was wonderful; not bad for a 17 year old.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 01:50 AM
I have always had a soft spot for the Fantasia in C minor, and the attached Sonata (K. 457).
Posted By: gooddog Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 02:26 AM
No! No! please don't make me choose! [Linked Image]

I love[Linked Image] them all and can't possibly decide which I like best [Linked Image]
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 02:42 AM
I love them all too, I cannot decide!
What I remember is that as a kid I was absolutely in love with his Symphony KV 550, I just couldn't stop listening to it.
Posted By: beet31425 Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 03:20 AM
My favorite *moment* from a Mozart piano concerto is the middle section of the last movement of the earlier A major concerto, K.414. That one section makes me want to learn the entire piece.

-J
Posted By: sarah_elizabeth Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 04:16 AM
One of my favorite concertos is the 20th in d minor (K. 466, I think). But they're all so beautiful... 3hearts
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 04:22 AM
...I also agree with Pogo about the two piano sonata. It's brilliant!

....and add another vote.

If that counts among "sonatas," it's my easy #1 pick.
Posted By: Gerard12 Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 01:23 PM
I'm happy to see mentions of K.311. When I was studying under teachers, I couldn't convince any of them to help me work on it!
(It's my current favorite.)

Trying to pick a fave concerto is almost impossible for me- almost as impossible as picking a fave Beethoven sonata. They're just too damn good.......
Posted By: Mostly Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 04:27 PM

I don't think I've actually heard those... I'll look for a good recording :p
Posted By: jeffreyjones Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 04:49 PM
I don't think he ever topped the "Jeunehomme" Concerto, K. 271. It's fresh, inventive, and highly varied.
Posted By: JGonzalezGUS Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 06:46 PM
Don't take me wrong, I love Mozart. Just a couple of comments:

1) I read somewhere that the 'Jeunehomme' Concerto was Mozart's first mature Concerto (sorry, don't recall exact words and neither do I recall whether it was Alfred Brendel or Charles Rosen who said it).

2) One criticism I've read, particularly about his earlier compositions is a certain lack of discipline. His head was so full of ideas, that instead of developing some, he writes down one idea, and then the next idea, and the next....
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mostly

It's not a "those," it's just one sonata. smile
Posted By: dolce sfogato Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/14/10 11:19 PM
it's only 18 sonatas or so and some 27 concertos that I like, the rest, well, pff.
Posted By: Mostly Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 11/15/10 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Mostly

It's not a "those," it's just one sonata. smile

I don't know what happened to me there, I imagined there was a set of two sister sonatas I didn't know...

I played the D Major K576 sonata this afternoon, but a poor piano (along with a poor touch...) makes the very cantabile last 2 movement pretty dull.
Favorite sonata/concerto yes, but favorite pianists too !
Posted By: ArtemisFowl Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/11/11 10:55 AM
1. Sonata - K.310 in A minor (playing this for my LTCL in 2012)
2. Sonata - K.448 D Major (the Mozart effect, anyone? smile Nonetheless, I absolutely ADORE this one! Wish I had someone to play this with)
3. Concerto no. 23 K.488
Posted By: currawong Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/11/11 09:11 PM
Concerto - K491 C minor
Posted By: argerichfan Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/12/11 01:22 AM
And no one mentions the K503, a concerto which combines all the humanity -FWIW indeed- of Entführung, Don Giovanni, and Figaro?

The last movement alone encompasses the experience of a million lifetimes, and it all happens so fast, sort of like a Summer-of-love acid trip.

IMO, Geza Anda is the standard, but Argerich isn't quite so 'prim and proper', she brings in a white hot ecstasy -without ever trivializing Mozart's sublimely ordered sound world.
Posted By: currawong Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/12/11 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by argerichfan
And no one mentions the K503, a concerto which combines all the humanity -FWIW indeed- of Entführung, Don Giovanni, and Figaro?
Luckily you just did! smile
Posted By: boo1234 Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/12/11 04:04 AM

The last movement alone encompasses the experience of a million lifetimes, and it all happens so fast, sort of like a Summer-of-love acid trip.

IMO, Geza Anda is the standard, but Argerich isn't quite so 'prim and proper', she brings in a white hot ecstasy -without ever trivializing Mozart's sublimely ordered sound world.

I mentioned it as concerto 25
Posted By: AldenH Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/12/11 07:20 AM
23, as the only major Mozart work I know, is pretty dear to me; while learning it, I was introduced a lot of the finer points of Mozart interpretation. If I had a nickel for every time someone said "operatically influenced," I probably could buy myself a second piano for a friend and I to play my favorite sonata, the D major for two pianos!

I wish I knew them better - I do recall a certain moment in a class on Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven, listening to the C major, K. 467, and the after a brief orchestral tutti, the first after the soloist enters in the first movement, the pianist charges back in with sonorous octaves outlining a G minor triad, followed by a plaintive, repetitive figure consisting of only three different notes... and thus another young musician was struck by the genius that is Mozart!
Posted By: David-G Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/13/11 09:31 PM

I will mention it! I love K503, I think that this is my favourite of the major-key concerti. But then there is K488, and K467...

The minor-key K466 and K491 are also favourites.

I particularly like two-piano sonata and the four-hand sonatas, there is something magical about the interweaving of the two parts.

And I must put in a good word for the sonata K333, which has absorbed my practice hours for a long time now. I especially love the concerto-like cadenza in the third movement.

And that is my thousandth post!!!

Posted By: currawong Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/13/11 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by David-G
And not a dud amongst them (that I've spotted, anyway!) smile
Posted By: David-G Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/13/11 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by David-G
And not a dud amongst them (that I've spotted, anyway!) smile

Thank you!! I still have a long way to go to catch you up...
Posted By: pianist.ame Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/15/11 01:14 PM
My favorite piano concerto which I've learnt is no.25 smile very challenging but love it.
My fav one which someone else had played is no.21... my canada teacher personally played it for me and I heard her perform it with a string quartet too smile
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/15/11 02:54 PM
pianist.ame, I have a recording of de Larrocha playing K. 503 (No. 25); perfection! Plus there is a video on YouTube of her in her last years performing it... It's still perfection!!! smile
Posted By: pianist.ame Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/17/11 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
pianist.ame, I have a recording of de Larrocha playing K. 503 (No. 25); perfection! Plus there is a video on YouTube of her in her last years performing it... It's still perfection!!! smile

Yes, I did watch that YouTube video and love it! Wish I had that recording!!
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/17/11 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by pianist.ame

Tech question: How easy or hard is it to make a CD from a YouTube video, using your computer? I'm about 100 years behind the times on stuff like this ha so I don't know, but I'd guess it's not hard....
Posted By: Damon Re: Favorite Mozart Sonata/Concerto - 12/17/11 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by pianist.ame

Tech question: How easy or hard is it to make a CD from a YouTube video, using your computer? I'm about 100 years behind the times on stuff like this ha so I don't know, but I'd guess it's not hard....

Very easy.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums