Piano World Home Page

What would you all think?

Posted By: Andromaque

What would you all think? - 07/25/10 12:08 AM

Earlier this month Lang Lang performed along with the Shanghai Symphony Orchestra at a free Central park concert. The director appeared on stage and asked the audience to text message their choice for a LL encore: a Chopin Etude or a Chinese melody. The latter won. All participants in the selection received a message back offering them a discount on a LL CD and an invitation to follow him on Facebook.

More detail here Orchestras seek BFF via cellphone

Can we hold a PW vote:

1) Do you think using text messaging during concerts is a good idea" Yes / No

2)Would you consider it only at open air concerts or special events? Yes / No

3) what would you have selected for Encore from Lang Lang

a) Chopin Etude b) Chinese melody (sorry I do not know which)

If enough people respond, I will tally up the numbers.
Posted By: Orange Soda King

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 12:11 AM

1) No
2) No
3) Chinese melody
Posted By: stores

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 02:20 AM

1) No.
2) No.
3) None.
Posted By: Kuanpiano

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 02:22 AM

Why didn't he just perform both if he had them prepared? I'd pick the chinese one though, because he would probably do op.25 no.1, and that's overplayed by him....
Posted By: Brandon_W_T

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 02:26 AM

No no,
Chopin!
Posted By: deAlmeida

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
1) No
2) No
3) Chinese melody

+1

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 03:56 AM

Why the total opposition to "technology" even in an outdoor setting? The idea obviously is meant to interest younger people. Music halls are struggling with significant financial setbacks.
While I would not want people to be using their cell phones for anything in the concert hall, I think of outdoor concerts (which I never attend) as promotion gigs and would not mind it greatly.
However what I found to be tasteless is the "highjacking" of the phone numbers/addresses with a return message that offered a blunt ad. Perhaps I am contradicting myself, but I cannot resolve this dichotomy for now..
Posted By: Mark_C

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 04:03 AM

1) Do you think using text messaging during concerts is a good idea
No (but I'm afraid this says more about the respondent's age than anything else) ha

2)Would you consider it only at open air concerts or special events?
Neither

3) what would you have selected for Encore from Lang Lang
Dunno

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Andromaque
Why the total opposition to "technology" even in an outdoor setting?.....

There are far better ways.

Why not a voice vote? Or show of hands? Or jump up and down at the one you want? ha

If the organizers feel OK about doing tech, I don't see why they wouldn't rather do those other more-dramatic more-entertaining more-get-the-juices-flowing methods. IMO the idea of doing "text messaging" rather than those other things is incomprehensible.

I sometimes ask the audience to participate like that (although maybe not quite exactly like that). ha

One time I did a "guess-the-composer." It was a hoot.
Posted By: Mattardo

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 04:17 AM

Why the total opposition to "technology" even in an outdoor setting? The idea obviously is meant to interest younger people. Music halls are struggling with significant financial setbacks.
While I would not want people to be using their cell phones for anything in the concert hall, I think of outdoor concerts (which I never attend) as promotion gigs and would not mind it greatly.
However what I found to be tasteless is the "highjacking" of the phone numbers/addresses with a return message that offered a blunt ad. Perhaps I am contradicting myself, but I cannot resolve this dichotomy for now..

If the whole intention is to get new, younger people and/or increase revenue - there's lots of different options available.
Lang Lang could put a promotional sticker, ala Nascar, on the side of the piano - maybe Red Bull.
He's already shown he's good at pleasing sponsors when he played an encore on the Apple Ipad.
He could play along to the latest DJ, and have a full setup - Lang Lang and Mix Master D, brought to you by McDonald's.
They could provide online gaming tables, and the kids could experience what it's like to play Call of Duty 4 to the pleasing strains of Mozart - perhaps it will calm their minds, and improve their aim!
He could engourage the audience to purchase the latest Iphone App - Concert Clap: it simulates the clapping of one pair of hands, to be used at concerts - of course.
The Program Book could be available only as an Iphone application, available for purchase at the venue.
He could write some transcriptions of some popular product theme songs - Imagine Lang Lang pulling off a virtuoso performance of the Mentos Song!
Why have seats, when they could just pull up in their new, hybrid cars - just like a drive-in?
Why use an acoustic piano, now that I'm thinking of it? With the big push to get rid of everything analog, lately - Lang Lang should really be performing on a clavinova - recyclable, of course.

Why stop with texting? A whole world of commercial licensing and marketing is available to the suavy and trend-following pianist, if only they have the courage and greed to follow through. Lang Lang is doing classical music a great service, by dumbing it down for the younger generation, instead of expecting the younger generation to step up a little bit. I'm sure he'll be remembered fondly some day.

smile

Mark C has the right idea - there are far better ways to get people interested.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 04:37 AM

Well, Lang Lang has done much of what you suggested already, towards self-promotion. Here we are talking about the NY Philharmonic whose decision it was to conduct the texting vote. They obviously cannot afford to alienate the blue hair crowd completely; yet they, along with many other orchestras, are in serious financial trouble and they are looking for novel strategies to attract audiences..Perhaps you can suggest serious ways of reaching that goal and avoiding "closure".

MarkC, I was curious to see if the votes correlate with age, despite the absence of complete data in user profiles. So far it is only naysayers and I think one of the voters, OSK, is not much older than 16, I think (based on his youtube pic).

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 05:00 AM

Can you think of any reason to do it by 'text message' rather than one of those other non-tech methods?

(Show of hands, voice vote.....)

IMO doing it via texting rather than those other ways is completely bone-headed.
Sorry. smile

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Can you think of any reason to do it by 'text message' rather than one of those other non-tech methods?

(Show of hands, voice vote.....)

IMO doing it via texting rather than those other ways is completely bone-headed.
Sorry. smile

show of hands in central Park?? voice vote, like in first grade? sorry.. not when your iphone is so handy laugh

I do think that texting is a prelude for more.: tweets, "follow me", promos for mp3 tracks, discounted tickets a day or two before an undersold concert (got some of those for the Varese concert by email) etc.. I think they may be testing the waters and poring over the stats, e.g. how many folks bought the discounted CD or joined LL's facebook page after they received the ad, etc..)

Posted By: tangleweeds

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 05:20 AM

It's entirely logical if you're harvesting future recipients for promotional spam.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 05:32 AM

.Perhaps you can suggest serious ways of reaching that goal and avoiding "closure".

Sorry - if I could, I would be a wealthy 'advisor-to-the-orchestras' by now, and the old problem of attracting new and young people to an old and antiquated art would be solved once and for all. frown

The best thing orchestras could hope for would be the total abolition of all forms of radio, tv, and other media that deliver music directly to the home, and a drastic re-ordering of current musical values and standards. Impossible - I know. They would be better served by just soldiering along until no longer possible, or just start hosting rap and country music concerts. Adapting to modern trends is definately a good self-defense mechanism, but we are dealing with a form of art that cherishes old masterworks over newer works. There's only so much they can do to modernize before they no longer represent the very thing they were trying to save, in my opinion.
Posted By: Basia C.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 07:40 AM

Why the total opposition to "technology" even in an outdoor setting?.....

There are far better ways.

Why not a voice vote? Or show of hands? Or jump up and down at the one you want? ha

If the organizers feel OK about doing tech, I don't see why they wouldn't rather do those other more-dramatic more-entertaining more-get-the-juices-flowing methods. IMO the idea of doing "text messaging" rather than those other things is incomprehensible.

I sometimes ask the audience to participate like that (although maybe not quite exactly like that). ha

One time I did a "guess-the-composer." It was a hoot.

+1

(Vote: No, No, b)
Posted By: John_B

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 08:14 AM

Seeing how mobile phones ring tones are the curse of concerts I think encouraging their use at such events is a very, very bad idea.
Posted By: John_B

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 09:58 AM

Incidentally, my favourite ring tone moment was when Simon Rattle was conducting the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra in the Rite of Spring at the 2003 Proms. During the opening bassoon solo a mobile phone (cell phone) rang out in the hall.

Rattle stopped the performance. Glared at the miscreant and then started again.

(The concert was televised so I probably have a DVD of it lurking somewhere.)

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mattardo

Lang Lang is doing classical music a great service, by dumbing it down for the younger generation, instead of expecting the younger generation to step up a little bit. I'm sure he'll be remembered fondly some day.

Please tell me that you're being sarcastic here (as well as the rest of your post that I didn't include).
Posted By: Coriander

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 12:42 PM

Here is what I think. I think people should stop asking me to do things with my phone in the guise of fun & democracy, that is ultimately boring to me, and fills someone else's pockets.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 02:20 PM

If the whole intention is to get new, younger people and/or increase revenue - there's lots of different options available.
Lang Lang could put a promotional sticker, ala Nascar, on the side of the piano - maybe Red Bull.
He's already shown he's good at pleasing sponsors when he played an encore on the Apple Ipad.
He could play along to the latest DJ, and have a full setup - Lang Lang and Mix Master D, brought to you by McDonald's.
They could provide online gaming tables, and the kids could experience what it's like to play Call of Duty 4 to the pleasing strains of Mozart - perhaps it will calm their minds, and improve their aim!
He could engourage the audience to purchase the latest Iphone App - Concert Clap: it simulates the clapping of one pair of hands, to be used at concerts - of course.
The Program Book could be available only as an Iphone application, available for purchase at the venue.
He could write some transcriptions of some popular product theme songs - Imagine Lang Lang pulling off a virtuoso performance of the Mentos Song!
Why have seats, when they could just pull up in their new, hybrid cars - just like a drive-in?
Why use an acoustic piano, now that I'm thinking of it? With the big push to get rid of everything analog, lately - Lang Lang should really be performing on a clavinova - recyclable, of course.

Why stop with texting? A whole world of commercial licensing and marketing is available to the suavy and trend-following pianist, if only they have the courage and greed to follow through. Lang Lang is doing classical music a great service, by dumbing it down for the younger generation, instead of expecting the younger generation to step up a little bit. I'm sure he'll be remembered fondly some day.

smile

Mark C has the right idea - there are far better ways to get people interested.

+1 man this is right he plays really good songs that sound good and were in a new world today so we should be using our technology at our disposal and stores just cant except change or how good lang lang plays classical songs on the piano.

and yes put stickers on the piano im sure the residue isnt to hard too get off yeah?

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by tangleweeds
It's entirely logical if you're harvesting future recipients for promotional spam.

EXACTLY

(Good job.) smile

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by John_B
Seeing how mobile phones ring tones are the curse of concerts I think encouraging their use at such events is a very, very bad idea.

Yes.
Yet another reason to avoid anything to do with cell phones, iPhones, blackberrys, and berries of any other color unless they're fruit. smile

I thought of that right away but forgot to say so. smile

I think we've pretty much pulverized the idea.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 02:30 PM

....he plays really good songs that sound good and were in a new world today so we should be using our technology at our disposal.....

and yes put stickers on the piano im sure the residue isnt to hard too get off yeah?

Sarcasm noted.

Including intentional omission of apostrophes. ha

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by stores

Lang Lang is doing classical music a great service, by dumbing it down for the younger generation, instead of expecting the younger generation to step up a little bit. I'm sure he'll be remembered fondly some day.

Please tell me that you're being sarcastic here (as well as the rest of your post that I didn't include).

Yes, Stores - I was being sarcastic.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 03:22 PM

Yes, Stores - I was being sarcastic.

Thank God. I had to ask because ya never know.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 03:37 PM

I see .. It is the involvement of LL really that is getting you all incensed.. What if it were Hamelin or any other pianist??
Sarcasm noted and irrelevant since it waded into extrapolations and hyperbole.

The situation is really not THAT outrageous. I am playing the devil's advocate mind you, since my immediate reaction was equally negative. But entertaining the masses under some conditions (which also means not allowing cell phone use IN the concert hall, as opposed to an outdoor venue) is not really such a negative thing. Obviously it is gimmicky, and so is LL. But your local venerable orchestra is struggling and unless you plan regular and generous contributions, you must allow them some elbow room.. From a business perspective, it is plain stupid to ignore modern marketing means. As for the spam concern, it is not novel. You have been subject to it ever since your grandfather started receiving the Sears catalog. (no catalogs in your snail mail??.. can't delete those as fast as email!).
I have a feeling that despite our preference as a conservative lot when it comes to classical music performance, "just say no" won't cut it.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 06:30 PM

I see .. It is the involvement of LL really that is getting you all incensed.....

You are misreading us.

A couple of people have focused on the Lang Lang aspect, but that's all.

We're talking about the basic thing.
I promise you. smile
Posted By: -Frycek

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 06:48 PM

1 No
2 Maybe
3 Chinese
Posted By: Damon

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 06:56 PM

1) Do you think using text messaging during concerts is a good idea
No (but I'm afraid this says more about the respondent's age than anything else) ha

grin

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by tangleweeds

EXACTLY

thumb

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by John_B

I just set my ring tone to 'a guy coughing'.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 07:21 PM

Oh, I almost forgot:

No
No
B

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Damon

I think 'coughs' lend an air of authenticity to live recordings. smile

(They also sort of tell you where the audience is bored.) ha

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 09:05 PM

I think 'coughs' lend an air of authenticity to live recordings. smile

(They also sort of tell you where the audience is bored.) ha

They run the danger of putting a cough at a certain measure into one's head - "And here's where the cough should be.."

The movie Immortal Beloved had the unfortunate effect of making me expect someone should be screaming "HOOOOORNS!" during the 5th Piano Concerto of Beethoven. Dang it.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 09:06 PM

I see .. It is the involvement of LL really that is getting you all incensed.....

You are misreading us.

A couple of people have focused on the Lang Lang aspect, but that's all.

We're talking about the basic thing.
I promise you. smile

Yes, even if Horowitz himself had tried this, we would probably be reacting the same way.
Maybe...
I know I would.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 09:07 PM

HAHAHA!!! If you're forgetful like I am, that's the most genius way to get out of a bad situation (or at least buy a couple seconds to quickly turn off your phone) if your phone accidentally goes off in a performance!

Well, not really... but what would you rather have? A person briefly cough, or an actual ring tone? I guess it's the lesser of two evils.

Unless of course, you ACTUALLY turn off (or at least silence) your phone, which you should remember to do. But my above post was just for laughs.

And no, my phone has never gone off in a concert. It has silently vibrated, but even in total silence, it didn't make the slightest noise. (It still scared me, though!)

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 09:12 PM

HAHAHA!!! If you're forgetful like I am, that's the most genius way to get out of a bad situation (or at least buy a couple seconds to quickly turn off your phone) if your phone accidentally goes off in a performance!

Well, not really... but what would you rather have? A person briefly cough, or an actual ring tone? I guess it's the lesser of two evils.

Unless of course, you ACTUALLY turn off (or at least silence) your phone, which you should remember to do. But my above post was just for laughs.

And no, my phone has never gone off in a concert. It has silently vibrated, but even in total silence, it didn't make the slightest noise. (It still scared me, though!)

What about the sound of candy unwrapping?
It's funny how many people unwrap candy to help stifle coughs - I don't know which is more annoying.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 09:24 PM

YES that too! Ughh.
Posted By: lilylady

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 09:29 PM

Unwrapping a cough drop is mini seconds.

Coughing could be for an hour.

I had to do it once, and just about died from the noise. But if I didn't, a long cough would have started.

If it did, I would have left for sure, in total humiliation.
That though is just a part of life for us all.

Get up and leave? More annoyance possibly?
Posted By: wr

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 09:39 PM

But your local venerable orchestra is struggling and unless you plan regular and generous contributions, you must allow them some elbow room.. From a business perspective, it is plain stupid to ignore modern marketing means.

Major orchestras are struggling because they belong to past, not the present. They are huge, bloated organizations, the halls are far too large, the "stars" are too expensive, the repertoire is too stagnant and too full of massive blockbusters that require all sorts of extra players, and the players' contracts place too many restrictions on what can be done. I don't think clever marketing tricks can save them, as they are currently constituted, although probably a few will manage to survive (mostly outside of the USA).

I don't think classical music is dead, but I think its future is scaled a lot differently than what we've become used to.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 09:48 PM

With a cough, only the people near you give you the evil eye. A ring tone and the whole audience wants you dead. The lesser of two evils is clear to me. smile

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by lilylady
Unwrapping a cough drop is mini seconds.....

Not necessarily, of course. ha

Some people try to be 'considerate' and unwrap the candy r-e-a-l.....s-l-o-w.

And some people who are even more 'considerate' do it r--e--a--l, r--e--a--l, ..........s--l--o--w. smile

Re: What would you all think? - 07/25/10 10:35 PM

It's the same reason I prefer watching movies at home - there's always someone who never learned how to eat popcorn properly and must exhibit their gross lack of etiquette in public.
There's always someone who must bring their children along to an R-Rated movie, displaying their bad parenting and the guarantee that the children will be bored out of their minds and start acting up, because there's no Harry Potter or Shrek on the screen.

I remember a recent concert in a town I don't normally frequent, and they were using speakers and microphones for the orchestra. It wouldn't have been bad if the speakers hadn't been crackling and unable to reproduce certain frequencies essential to certain instruments.
Another reason I like to skip movies, as well - watching a good movie in surround sound is great, if the music doesn't make the speakers whine, crackle and buzz.
Posted By: lilylady

Re: What would you all think? - 07/26/10 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by lilylady
Unwrapping a cough drop is mini seconds.....

Not necessarily, of course. ha

Some people try to be 'considerate' and unwrap the candy r-e-a-l.....s-l-o-w.

And some people who are even more 'considerate' do it r--e--a--l, r--e--a--l, ..........s--l--o--w. smile

As one active member might say....

ha

;-)
Posted By: Phlebas

Re: What would you all think? - 07/26/10 11:04 AM

Isn't it a little presumptuous to assume you will be asked back for an encore before the performance even starts?

That's like announcing, "during the standing ovation after I perform, please put down your programs, so the applause is louder."

Re: What would you all think? - 07/26/10 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Phlebas
Isn't it a little presumptuous to assume you will be asked back for an encore before the performance even starts?

That's like announcing, "during the standing ovation after I perform, please put down your programs, so the applause is louder."

Ha- true. I wonder what would have happened if nobody had clapped?
Maybe they ensured the ovation by giving out free money before the concert to select individuals...

I suppose, in the end, Lang Lang probably always gets a request for an ovation? He seems to be relatively popular, of late.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/26/10 03:35 PM

.....He seems to be relatively popular, of late.

Of early also. ha
Posted By: WinsomeAllegretto

Re: What would you all think? - 07/26/10 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Phlebas

I've always wondered that. Last year a pianist played a recital at school and I knew what the encore was going to be. However his actual recital was about 2 hours long and everyone in the audience was tired by the end, especially since there weren't a whole lot of pianists in the audience, so I thought they wouldn't clap long enough for the encore. But they did. I always wonder how the pianist would have felt if they didn't though, lol.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/26/10 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
.....I always wonder how the pianist would have felt if they didn't though, lol.

You be ready not to play any encores. smile
Posted By: chopinizmyhomeboy

Re: What would you all think? - 07/26/10 10:50 PM

this is soooo kool. i liek to use my iphone to text lang lang and make him think up these classical songs to play on the piano. you know, this is liek a tecknologie imersion you know. like mixing the past with the future, like........audience participation. I liek see on the knews that tecknologie is liek more helpful than ever and liek this can certain make the classical musik more like intereting and fun for the not lieking classical music you know? liek lang lang iz makng it more hip you know? so liek this move by the strings people and the lang lang. it is tight. i want him to play the Chopin etude cuz i love the song.

- sent from my iphone

Re: What would you all think? - 07/26/10 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by chopinizmyhomeboy
this is soooo kool. i liek to use my iphone to text lang lang and make him think up these classical songs to play on the piano. you know, this is liek a tecknologie imersion you know. like mixing the past with the future, like........audience participation. I liek see on the knews that tecknologie is liek more helpful than ever and liek this can certain make the classical musik more like intereting and fun for the not lieking classical music you know? liek lang lang iz makng it more hip you know? so liek this move by the strings people and the lang lang. it is tight. i want him to play the Chopin etude cuz i love the song.

- sent from my iphone

We ask that like all members like please turn off their iphones during forum participation, so that like the entire audience is like able to enjoy the show. So like what words go with that tight etude song? Does like LL sing it? So like what's his number so that like I can text him and tell him that like "hey dude, you suck, but like obviously you have a great agent/PR team... so like hook me up."

Re: What would you all think? - 07/27/10 12:09 AM

- sent from my iphone

We ask that like all members like please turn off their iphones during forum participation, so that like the entire audience is like able to enjoy the show. So like what words go with that tight etude song? Does like LL sing it? So like what's his number so that like I can text him and tell him that like "hey dude, you suck, but like obviously you have a great agent/PR team... so like hook me up."

lol grin thumb
Posted By: lisztonian

Re: What would you all think? - 07/27/10 12:43 AM

- sent from my iphone

lol grin thumb

Surely you aren't assuming all Iphone or text message users talk like that in text messages?

Re: What would you all think? - 07/27/10 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by lisztonian

- sent from my iphone

lol grin thumb

Surely you aren't assuming all Iphone or text message users talk like that in text messages?

of course not, I only used language in that way to satire the situation; if I had used the way the average iphone or text message user texts, my post would not have been an attempt at humor lol grin.

Re: What would you all think? - 07/27/10 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by lisztonian

- sent from my iphone

lol grin thumb

of course not, I only used language in that way to satire the situation; if I had used the way the average iphone or text message user texts, my post would not have been an attempt at humor lol grin.

Careful - some Iphone users get pretty uppity at perceived slights towards their toy. They will literally create an app just to automatically generate nasty comments about you.
IF the app is approved by Apple - which it usually is. As long as there are no scantily clad women, it should go through.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums