Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Gooddog Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 06:52 PM
Happy birthday, Johann! I'm your biggest fan!

My local radio station is devoting most of today's broadcast to Bach. (King.fm).[Linked Image]
Posted By: HiLine Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 07:04 PM
Moment to commemorate the father of the WTC. laugh
Posted By: stores Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 07:23 PM
It IS!!! I can't believe it slipped my mind.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the greatest composer to ever grace the planet (actually you're a centimeter of a step behind LVB, but I won't tell).
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 07:29 PM
Happy birthday, Bach! Even though your kids thought you just wrote an excess of contrapuntal academic works, I think they are great!
Posted By: Horowitzian Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 07:31 PM
Which Bach? Johann? Sebastian? Offen? grin

Happy birthday! smile
Posted By: stores Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Horowitzian

Happy birthday! smile

He's offen referred to as Johann Sebastian. =p
Posted By: Horowitzian Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 07:40 PM
grin
Posted By: DragonPianoPlayer Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by stores

Happy birthday! smile

He's offen referred to as Johann Sebastian. =p

I thought it was P D Q's Birthday?

laugh
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 08:03 PM
Three of my favorite transcriptions of Bach works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfkHYQ41gpI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjjMGCl030
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVkWyPh384w

A few thousand more transcriptions of Bach's works:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/NVD/PT.htm

The Bach work that Bruno Walter(or some famous conductor) called the single greatest piece ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2jGSvsA7c
Posted By: Musictuary Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 08:19 PM
Happy Birthday J.S. Bach!

My mother and sister-in-law also share his birthday.
Posted By: Brandon_W_T Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 08:53 PM
Yay!

Ill make Mr. Bach a Birthday cake!

Happy birthday, Bach! Your my favorite! laugh
Posted By: -Frycek Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 09:08 PM
Happy Birthday, JS. Go easy on the wurst and beer and save some room for the cake!
Posted By: SeilerFan Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 09:12 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but wouldn't this be the 31st of March in terms of the Gregorian calendar that we still use today. Bach's DOB is only the 21st in the Julian calendar system. I might be wrong, though.

I agree with you that Bach is one of the greatest composers. I just played his second Partita before I logged onto PWF. Beautiful music!

Addendum: It seems that his birthday is observed on the 21st by most people/organizations. Maybe the reason is that they wanted to keep it simple without having to explain the conversion.
Posted By: Gooddog Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 09:36 PM
Silly SeilerFan, stop nitpicking and join us in a toast! [Linked Image]
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 10:31 PM
Just a few hours later than me, Johann Sebastian....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gooddog Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 10:36 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you too CHOPINADDICT!
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 10:38 PM
Thank you! smile
Posted By: -Frycek Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/21/10 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by gooddog

Happy birthday from me too!
Posted By: stores Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by SeilerFan
Not to rain on your parade, but wouldn't this be the 31st of March in terms of the Gregorian calendar that we still use today. Bach's DOB is only the 21st in the Julian calendar system. I might be wrong, though.

I agree with you that Bach is one of the greatest composers. I just played his second Partita before I logged onto PWF. Beautiful music!

Addendum: It seems that his birthday is observed on the 21st by most people/organizations. Maybe the reason is that they wanted to keep it simple without having to explain the conversion.

You're not wrong. There are many who argue (and much has been written about it) that Bach's correct birthday is the 31st (and it very well may be). The baptismal entry (on the 23rd) at St. George's (Eisenach), gives the date of birth as the 21st, but delving into discrepancies regarding the calendar in use during Bach's lifetime (which I won't go into) does show that it (the calendar) was ahead of itself by 10 days.
Posted By: BZ4 Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 02:19 AM

Oh yes! Happy Birthday to the Greatest Master who has influenced so many composers 325 years later!
In his honor, I have played 6 of the Goldbergs (in the best amateur tradition!).
Not note perfect, but hey, Bach is the greatest challenge. In any case, it sounds great on my Estonia 190.
Posted By: Andromaque Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 02:28 AM
I went to sleep last night while listening to his Cello Suites, as played- Oh so darkly- by Janos Starker.. It was as if JSB was still among us.. In fact it was too stimulating and I could not go to sleep easily...How amazing that his music survived close to a half a millenium...
On the other hand, I will admit that his music is hard to master, up to very high standards.. There is ALWAYS a Bach piece or another in my assignment roster and sometimes it drives me mad...I bet it did the same to his extensive family..
Posted By: DameMyra Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 03:30 AM
Nicht Bach, sondern Meer sein!
Happy Birthday, Johann.
Posted By: Horowitzian Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by Andromaque
I went to sleep last night while listening to his Cello Suites, as played- Oh so darkly- by Janos Starker.. It was as if JSB was still among us.. In fact it was too stimulating and I could not go to sleep easily...How amazing that his music survived close to a half a millenium...
On the other hand, I will admit that his music is hard to master, up to very high standards.. There is ALWAYS a Bach piece or another in my assignment roster and sometimes it drives me mad...I bet it did the same to his extensive family..

Well, it really wasn't till the early 19th century that he was recognized as the complete musical genius that he was. He came in for considerable ridicule in his own day due to the extreme complexity and difficulty of his music relative to what others were writing. Read: the amateurs couldn't play it!
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Originally Posted by gooddog

Happy birthday from me too!

Thank you, Frycek. There are many March kids in music, have you noticed? I remember you are a March kid too smile. Pisces - sensible artists?
Posted By: Andromaque Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 06:46 AM

Well, it really wasn't till the early 19th century that he was recognized as the complete musical genius that he was. He came in for considerable ridicule in his own day due to the extreme complexity and difficulty of his music relative to what others were writing. Read: the amateurs couldn't play it!

That is often mentioned, yet we know that Mozart and Beethoven admired Bach and studied and played his works. Perhaps his work was not performed much in public ..
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Thank you, Frycek. There are many March kids in music, have you noticed? I remember you are a March kid too smile. Pisces - sensible artists?
Hey, don't forget us end-of-Feb kids!
Posted By: Seabelle Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

Me too.
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 08:03 PM
[Linked Image]

That's funny.... I really never throw anything away, that's why I have such a mess..... smirk
Posted By: MarkH Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 08:25 PM
11. Glaring grammatical mistakes don't bother you;)

Mine's March 9th, along with Copland, so I'm right in there with all of you.
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 09:07 PM
12. You often get in trouble because of your oversensitivity and your tendency to bite when hurt.
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Today is Bach's birthday! - 03/22/10 09:08 PM
13. You love your piano more than your partner.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums