Piano World Home Page

Advice on playing pentatonic scales

Posted By: BOREGARD

Advice on playing pentatonic scales - 11/30/14 03:38 AM

Can anyone in the Pianist Corner advise me on the proper playing of and fingerings for pentatonic scales? What would be most helpful would be a technique-oriented publication that shows Hanon-like fingerings in all six keys (major and minor scales just start on different notes). With the Hanon exercises one tends to use all eight fingers which makes running up and down the keyboard reasonably intuitive and smooth. Since a pentatonic scale only involves five notes I run out of notes before running out of fingers. Then I don't know how to keep the scale going smoothly like I can with Hanon and other Hanon-like technical exercises.

Is there a publication out there that concentrates exclusively on how to play these scales up and down the keyboard? If there is no such publication, can someone advise me on the proper fingerings. Ideally I want to start and end on the same note so as to complete the scale (just higher up or lower down depending on if I'm going up or down the keyboard). I suspect two octaves or more may be involved in some way but I'm not sure.

Any advice is appreciated.
Posted By: Nahum

Re: Advice on playing pentatonic scales - 11/30/14 06:45 AM

Minor pentatonic scale from the white keys, except F: 1-3-1-2-4.
F pent. Scale: 1-2 -3-1-3

Bb: 1-3-4-1-3
Eb; 1-3-1-2-4
Ab: 3 (2) -1-2-3-1-2-1-2-3-1-2
Db: 2-1-2-3-1
F #: 2-1-2-3- 1-3-1-2-3-1-2 (3)

In the major pentatonic just start from the second note with her finger.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums