Piano World Home Page
Posted By: lizcovedale Abbey Simon in recital - 04/14/09 03:40 AM
Wooo! I get to go hear him play!

I don't know the program off the top of my head. I know there's going to be Beethoven 81a, some Chopin, and then Ravel's Miroirs. I think is in prep for one of his Carnegie Hall recitals coming up in the near future.

My teacher studied with Abbey Simon, so I'm excited to go hear him play.
Posted By: DameMyra Re: Abbey Simon in recital - 04/15/09 01:15 AM
Would it be possible to let us know where and when he will be playing. Other members might be interested in attending.
Posted By: lizcovedale Re: Abbey Simon in recital - 04/15/09 03:05 AM
Yes, he is playing tomorrow, Wednesday April 15 at the Newberry Opera House in Newberry, SC at 8:00pm.

Tickets are $20, and I just called yesterday and there were still tickets, and a friend got tickets today as well.
Posted By: DameMyra Re: Abbey Simon in recital - 04/18/09 03:00 AM
So how was the recital?
Posted By: lizcovedale Re: Abbey Simon in recital - 04/19/09 02:15 AM
Sorry...I don't log in enough here...

The recital was excellent. It was so inspiring. He played the Bach C major toccata which was stunning - his voicing was so clear, and the lines so beautifully projected.

He also played a Clementi sonata (f minor, I think), and the Beethoven Op. 81a.

The second half was even better. He began with 3 pieces from Miroirs - Noctuelles, Oiseaux Tristes (this was exquisite!), and Alborada del gracioso.

He ended with a couple Chopin waltzes, and then the F minor ballade. The ballade was also fantastic. Breath-taking really and exciting to listen to.

I got to meet him afterwards. Unfortunately I did not have a camera. :-( I did not know he was 87 years old. I hope I can perform that well when I'm 87 (actually I would hope to even perform half as well at any age...).
Posted By: DameMyra Re: Abbey Simon in recital - 04/20/09 12:41 AM
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. You're so lucky to have heard him live. He is such a treasure and it seems like nothing slows him down.

Did you know he was hit by a car about 16 years ago and suffered severe injuries to both his hands? Doctors thought he would never play again. After extensive surgery and rehabilitation he began concertizing again. I also belive he suffered a severe back injury another time. He is just incredible.

And he is also a wonderful teacher. My teacher studied with him and I know of one member of PW who did.
Posted By: lizcovedale Re: Abbey Simon in recital - 04/20/09 12:50 AM
Yes, my teacher talked about his accident and recovery. My teacher studied with him throughout both his master's and doctorate at Indiana. (I suppose that makes him my grandteacher.) Some of the stories about his lessons are very entertaining.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums