Piano World Home Page
Posted By: farmsc Leonard & co. piano information - 08/24/09 12:16 AM
Hello,
I am new here, I know a little piano from my childhood. My mother has a piano she bought used in 1963 when she married. She says the elderly lady she bought it from told her that her mother had bought it new for her when she was young. It is an upright, and inside it has the following info: "LEONARD & CO MANUFACTURED EXPRESSLY FOR F.A. NORTH & CO PHILA" Also, the serial number 21459 is stamped or printed on several different parts. Lastly, on the back side of the flip down keyboard cover, the name "leonard" is painted in what can only be called "freehand", it is not stenciled. Is there any source of information I can find out more about this piano; age, etc.?
Thanks for any help.
Kevin
Posted By: BDB Re: Leonard & co. piano information - 08/24/09 01:32 AM
It was made by the Lester Piano Company about 1900. It has little or no value these days, as they cost more to restore than a new piano.
Posted By: farmsc Re: Leonard & co. piano information - 08/24/09 02:29 AM
Thanks for the info...however, no need to restore it, it's in pretty good condition...It plays well and seems to hold tune fairly well. It could use a little TLC here and there, but overall it's a keeper.
Thanks again.
Kevin
Posted By: BDB Re: Leonard & co. piano information - 08/24/09 04:32 AM
If you are happy with it, that is all that matters. There are some maintenance items that it might be worth looking into.
Posted By: farmsc Re: Leonard & co. piano information - 08/24/09 10:36 AM
I would love to hear about some of those maintenance issues.
Thanks
Posted By: BDB Re: Leonard & co. piano information - 08/24/09 03:50 PM
Ask your tech about regulation. Sometimes you are limited by wear in the piano, but eliminating lost motion is a start.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums