Piano World Home Page
Posted By: rysowers Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/16/09 04:01 PM
Years ago I had a brochure advertising decorative piano scarves to spruce up your grand piano. My 1912 Steinway O's major cosmetic flaw is from where a plant was set on the top lid. Until I get it refinished (i.e. when my kids are all grown up!) I thought a grand piano scarf would be just the thing!
Posted By: ChatNoir Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/16/09 05:18 PM
Try an antique store, that's where I found mine. Or maybe E-bay. Or Craig's list. There has to be a nice mantilla waiting for you somewhere out there.
Posted By: lilylady Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/16/09 05:38 PM
Discussions have been around about this...check the search feature.

I have 2 piano scarves. A new thin one from Coldwater Creek. They have great end of the season sales and this one was called a throw and on sale was $9! And the other one was a gift, again, with embroidery with squares of creams.

My favorites are old Persian Paisleys. Elegant, wool, and thin.

There are also silk Victorian scarves.

Posted By: Miffy Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/18/09 12:55 AM
Can anybody post a picture to show how and where you put the scarf?
Posted By: stanw909 Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/18/09 02:58 AM
OK I'll bite.Here in SoCal it rarely gets cold enough for a scarf.
Posted By: Diane... Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/18/09 03:20 AM
Okay, I "think" this is a piano scarf, but I have seen other ones that come in all kinds of colors and designs that go on a dining room table and just run down the centre of the dining room table.

Is this it?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: apple* Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/18/09 03:30 AM
you might search piano shawls on ebay for many interesting options..
Posted By: Diane... Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/18/09 03:35 AM
I remember now! Its called a "runner"! Table runner!

Is this it!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lilylady Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/18/09 11:56 AM
Can anybody post a picture to show how and where you put the scarf?

Here's my winter scarve. I use it because at a low angle the sun comes in, to keep the dust off, and
'just in case' kitty decides to explore. She did maybe two times at the beginning but since she is a scaredy cat, she was easy to train.

It comes off when company comes.

[Linked Image]

It doesn't look as intrusive as the picture, as I aimed the camera from a high point to show it.
Posted By: Miffy Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/18/09 01:36 PM
Thanks,Diane and lilylady, for the pictures! It is good to know a beautiful throw will do well on the grand. I grew up with my upright completely coverd by a beautiful ivory crotchet made by my mom, and was later told that pianos need to breathe. But I guess for decoration and pet-proof purpuse, we can try something different.
Posted By: apple* Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/18/09 01:42 PM
i occasionally put a crocheted linen round table cloth (folded under the lid)on my piano for company occasions. Daily, i have a crocheted (grandma type) little afghan that is primarily black with brilliant colors in circles. sometimes i have a little girl umbrella quilt. My piano sits in a fairly precarious high traffic area and i feel the tail should be covered to protect it from my manboys who bound through the house with all sorts of things that could damage my beloved instrument.
I have one that I wove myself long before I bought the grand. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I can because it looks, at least to me anyway, like it was meant for the piano.

Joe
Ok, I'm going to try to post some pics, which hopefully won't be too problematic.

[Linked Image]

Another...
[Linked Image]

And one when it was being woven...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: lilylady Re: Where can I find a grand piano scarf? - 03/21/09 06:57 PM
Thebrahms...

OMG, you wove that?

It is gorgeous!
Thanks, I think it works better as a piano scarf than a table runner. I may make more with different colors and patterns, just so I can switch them out now and then.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums