Piano World Home Page
Posted By: xlider Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/27/21 06:34 AM
Hi all,

My living room has an L shape and the allocated space for a piano is on the bottom right of that L… in a rectangle of 166cm by 200cm, with a diagonal of 259cm. I currently play on a CN29 in that space.

Knowing that the sound itself would go towards the room, is it crazy to dream about a baby grand in that location? I calculated that with the 75cm allocated for the seat, I would need a 230cm diagonal for a gl10…

Thanks
Posted By: cygnusdei Re: Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/27/21 06:50 AM
Sounds like it would fit just fine but oriented along the wider (200 cm) part of the room. It may not fit diagonally though.
Posted By: TBell Re: Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/27/21 04:33 PM
If you go diagonally you will likely cross that 175 cm boundary so you might have to go more against the 200 cm wall. The action will need to clear the piano frame for it to be removed for servicing, which doesn't require 2.5 feet, so you might can get by with a slightly smaller bench area if you have a smaller bench, though it would be cramped.

You can get a sheet or drop cloth and make a template of your prospective piano model with masking tape, then experiment with placement along with your bench. Size specs should be found on the Kawai website. Of course, a bigger area will be needed for the initial setup of the piano upon delivery.
Posted By: Starre Re: Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/27/21 04:38 PM
I would say no, you need more space for a grand piano to sound good.
Originally Posted by Starre
I would say no, you need more space for a grand piano to sound good.
There's the whole rest of the living room L space for the sound to go to. IOW the effective space for the piano is much larger than the rectangle the OP described.
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Sounds like it would fit just fine but oriented along the wider (200 cm) part of the room. It may not fit diagonally though.
If it would fit along the wider part of the room, I don't see how could it could not fit in the longer diagonal of the room.
Posted By: xlider Re: Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/29/21 06:31 AM
Thanks for your answers. The rest of the L of the living room could indeed be there for the sound to diffuse… however, home configuration (and peace between household members) do not all for me to move out of the corner:-(.

I played a bit with shapes in PowerPoint, and due to my size, I need at least 75cm of bench space (tuning could be done by moving the piano out for a day)… so it actually does not fit for my needs in 200cm…

I guess I will stick to uprights in my quest, for now. :-)
Posted By: cygnusdei Re: Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/29/21 09:20 AM
Okay, so I'm piqued. The rectangle is 200 x 166, and the GL-10 is 153 x 150. Now depending on how the rest of the room opens up, I think you can still have the bench stowed away strictly within the rectangle when you're not playing, although when you're playing you may have to borrow a few cm from outside the rectangle - that is if the room opens up to the bottom and to the right.

As the right side of the piano shouldn't be up against the wall (should you want to record yourself etc.), I think the best scenario is if the room opens up the the top and to the right - you may have to 'borrow' a few cm of bench space permanently, but is that really crime? 😅

[Linked Image]
Posted By: xlider Re: Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/29/21 11:51 AM
Nice drawing :-). Actually on your drawing, I would be in the corner left of where the piano is currently drawn… so that means I would have 47cm between the piano and the wall as bench space…
When I was measuring up for pianos I was in China but my house was, and still is, in Bulgaria. So I made scale templates of various sizes of piano and the dimensions of the rooms. It worked well.
Posted By: Sgisela Re: Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/30/21 11:52 AM
My recommendation would be to ask a dealer to borrow a piano floor template. It won’t include the space for the bench, but I think it will help answer the question.
Posted By: j&j Re: Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/30/21 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Sgisela
My recommendation would be to ask a dealer to borrow a piano floor template. It won’t include the space for the bench, but I think it will help answer the question.

Exactly! Nearly all piano dealers have templates. I twice used the Yamaha C3 template when I moved. Of course the owner did encourage me to take a C5 template in case I wanted to get a bigger piano. 😁

Truthfully me having a bigger piano template to play with is a dangerous thing to the bank account.
Also put some crates, a sofa or whatever to the size involved so you get a 3D idea of what it will look like in there.
Posted By: xlider Re: Floor space: can I dream of a grand? - 10/31/21 12:25 PM
Thanks!

I got to a final conclusion for that corner… too cramped. Next is about negotiating for another corner :-).
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums