Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Colin Miles Career Prospects in music - 05/20/21 09:09 AM
There is a very interesting and to me surprising article in today's Daily Telegraph about the 'Percentage of students likely to end up in graduate employment or further study 15 months after graduating'. Of the best 10 the Royal College of Music came second with 88.3% behind Imperial College London, the Arts Education Schools were sixth with 85.8% and the Royal Northern College of Music tenth with 80.9%. Not at all the kind of result that I would have expected. Of course it doesn't tell you what the employment actually is or indeed whether it is music or arts related as I believe a considerable proportion of graduates end up in unrelated occupations. But encouraging news for those musically inclined?
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 05/20/21 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
There is a very interesting and to me surprising article in today's Daily Telegraph about the 'Percentage of students likely to end up in graduate employment or further study 15 months after graduating'. Of the best 10 the Royal College of Music came second with 88.3% behind Imperial College London, the Arts Education Schools were sixth with 85.8% and the Royal Northern College of Music tenth with 80.9%. Not at all the kind of result that I would have expected. Of course it doesn't tell you what the employment actually is or indeed whether it is music or arts related as I believe a considerable proportion of graduates end up in unrelated occupations. But encouraging news for those musically inclined?

Hello, Colin,

Interesting bit of info there, and one that I would be interested in as well. When I worked at the state technical college for many years as a program coordinator/instructor for the Air Conditioning Technology Program (AKA HVACR) we had to meet certain statistical benchmarks in order to keep the program open and operating.

There was a minimum requirement for the number of full time students enrolled, the number of graduates, and the number of job placements of graduates annually. Fortunately, during my tenure at the tech college, our program numbers were well above the minimum requirements, and, in fact, our program was one of more popular programs at the college.

As for the percentages of graduates of the Music Schools, who found employment "in field" as we used to call it, or, a "related field", I guess it would depend on the actual number of graduates in order to determine if the results were positive, or met or exceeded a certain minimum threshold.

As for whether or not Music, or in particular, "Piano Performance" is a good field to get into, in terms of making a good living, "in field", remains a good question.

If I had to depend on my musical skills and abilities to make a living, I'd likely be homeless, starving, and deprived of most material things. smile

But I do wish all those music school graduates well in their musical careers, and beyond.

Rick
Posted By: Maestro Lennie Re: Career Prospects in music - 05/20/21 12:23 PM
Strictly speaking, these are not students becoming employed, but employed OR entering into further study.

I suspect what it really means is that the graduating BA and BMus students wind up flipping into master's programs.
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 05/21/21 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Strictly speaking, these are not students becoming employed, but employed OR entering into further study.

I suspect what it really means is that the graduating BA and BMus students wind up flipping into master's programs.

This too, continuing education, was a positive outcome statistic at the tech college. A negative outcome was someone who dropped out of the program, didn't graduate, and didn't get a job in field or related field.

Of course, Colin mentioned that about further study in his original post.

Rick
Posted By: Maestro Lennie Re: Career Prospects in music - 05/21/21 09:56 AM
Interesting way of thinking about the measurements. In some instances, further education has real value. In others, it is just kicking the can a little further down the road.
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 05/21/21 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Interesting way of thinking about the measurements. In some instances, further education has real value. In others, it is just kicking the can a little further down the road.

I agree.

And, I've seen a few people over the years who were perpetual/professional students. They'd finish one program of study and start another. Personally, I never could afford to be a professional student, continuously learning, buy never earning a paycheck. smile

Must be nice to be able to afford to do that... (make a career of being a student)

Rick
Posted By: EdselMagnus Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 03:43 AM
Completely free music selection on many different devices.
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by EdselMagnus
I agree, and it is so nice to listen to YouTube pianists.Who cares if the musicians are learned or not! It is the music that counts.
Posted By: gwing Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by tre corda
I agree, and it is so nice to listen to YouTube pianists.Who cares if the musicians are learned or not! It is the music that counts.

It's kind of difficult to be a musician if you haven't learned anything.
Posted By: SouthernZephyr Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by gwing

Anybody think they might be replying to spam? Look at the forum signature
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by gwing

Anybody think they might be replying to spam? Look at the forum signature
This is a rather directionless thread, or it has become that.I am not quite sure what spam is though.
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 07:47 PM
This is a rather directionless thread, or it has become that.I am not quite sure what spam is though.

If you Google "Spam" some definitions might be "digital junk mail", or "unsolicited communication sent over the Internet".

There is also a canned meat product called Spam made of various scraps of meat. It taste pretty good fried, and can be eaten right out of the can, but certainly not healthy for you (think high salt and high cholesterol content smile ).

Actually, I wrote a song years ago entitled "Google my name if you want to know who I am". Part of the lyrics are,

"Google my name, if you want to know who I am.
Google my name, if you don't want a lot of SPAM.
Google my name, and I'm sure you will agree...
Google my name, if you want to know more about me"

I thought it would be a big hit on YouTube, but I guess not. smile

Rick
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 10:05 PM
Hi Rickster
Yes I know the kind of spam that is sold it tins.Not my kind of food.I remember my son going on a camping trip with group of boys.One of the tins of food he took with him was spam.When it comes to online spam yes I kind of know.The techno words tend to expand in thier meaning to include a number of aspects.Just the other day someone used the word "troll" in a non offensive manner.("the next time you troll the weather.ap...)
So yes the online world seems to be changing.By the the way I liked your poem)

I found it difficult to understand the use of the word spam in this context however? Perhaps dogsperson just likes to keep us on our toes?..true the world can be a dangerous place?
It seems to be reasonably safe on PW though.
Posted By: BDB Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 10:58 PM
The term "spam" for unsolicited email comes from a Monty Python skit.
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 10:59 PM
Hi Rickster
Yes I know the kind of spam that is sold it tins.Not my kind of food.I remember my son going on a camping trip with group of boys.One of the tins of food he took with him was spam.When it comes to online spam yes I kind of know.The techno words tend to expand in thier meaning to include a number of aspects.Just the other day someone used the word "troll" in a non offensive manner.("the next time you troll the weather.ap...)
So yes the online world seems to be changing.By the the way I liked your poem)

I found it difficult to understand the use of the word spam in this context however? Perhaps dogsperson just likes to keep us on our toes?..true the world can be a dangerous place?
It seems to be reasonably safe on PW though.

Hi, tre corda, sounds like you do know what both kinds of spam are... smile

In regards to my poem (song, but a song is a poem, and a poem can be a song:-), for the sake of conversation, here are all the lyrics/words to the song/poem, if you want to read them, or sing them. You can use your own melody or just use your imagination; oh, and the song has a bit of a Folkish/Country flair. smile

"We live in a time when you can go online and search the Internet.
It's the information age, more than a craze, you can learn a whole lot, you bet.
With just a little click here and a little click there, next thing you know you're everywhere,
Just Google my name, and you know that I'll be there...

Google my name, if you want to know who I am.
Google my name, if you don't want a lot of spam.
Just Google my name, if you want to know more about me.

I'm the kind of guy who's a little shy, and I don't like to be in a crowd.
A soft spoken dude, never rude, ask me and I'll tell you why.
If you want to know more and you like to explore, my life's an open book and an open door...
Just Google my name, and then you know for sure.

Google my name, if you don't want a lot of spam.
Just Google my name, if you want to know more about me."

Okay, well, a bit corny, but it is original, if that counts for anything. smile

Oh yea, in regards to the title of this thread, I know I will never have a career in music, but that doesn't mean I can't have a boat-load of fun with my music! smile
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 11:15 PM
"sounds like you know what both kinds of spam are" quote/Rickster

Sure, I just had a hope that "spam" like the word "troll" has become a little more benign, as it seemed a little out of place here. 😉 Perhaps I should be a little more vigilant?

By the way how do you like my hat? (as you can see I have changed my avatar again) That was OT, sorry could not resist.
Perhaps we should get back to education or over education?

Your poem is very good, but when I Google Rickster I cannot find you? I need to look on YouTube
Posted By: SouthernZephyr Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/12/21 11:22 PM

Sure, I just had a hope that "spam" like the word "troll" has become a little more benign, as it seemed a little out of place here. 😉 Perhaps I should be a little more vigilant?

By the way how do you like my hat? (as you can see I have changed my avatar again) That was OT, sorry could not resist.

Your poem is very good, but when I Google Rickster I cannot find you? I need to look on YouTube

If you look at the post signature of the spammer it is a link to web site not related to music or scores
The Post was just the opportunity to get a commercial link out there and on the Internet

And yes, PW gets spam. Beware of links, Especially from new members
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/13/21 01:04 AM

If you look at the post signature of the spammer it is a link to web site not related to music or scores
The Post was just the opportunity to get a commercial link out there and on the Internet

And yes, PW gets spam. Beware of links, Especially from new members
Yes I just looked.That looks scary I agree, I see what you mean.
Posted By: Scott Cole, RPT Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/13/21 02:10 AM
To reply to the original post: schools in the US are notorious for inflating their grad employment figures. Even law schools.

There are few jobs anywhere in music these days.
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/13/21 02:21 AM

Yea, I like the new avatar, tre corda. I like the hat! thumb

Years ago, my late wife was in a group called "The Red Hat Society". She had more than one "Red Hat" and would attend various events on occasion, with her sister, who was the instigator ( smile ), and all the other women were wearing red hats. I always went with her because she was disabled and in a wheelchair and needed assistance. But if it made her happy, it was fine with me.

I have a few hats myself, a couple of nice, western cowboy hats and a few Kodiac style hats made by "Outback Trading Company". Sometimes I'll wear my hats when I record my music videos.

As for Googling my PW forum name (which I've now come to think is a bit silly), you probably got a lot of Google hits from the Piano World Forum, which is the only place I'm known as Rickster.

By-the-way, my YouTube channel is posted in my PW signature line, like many other members here. I'll send you a PM with a video of my original song, "Google my name if you want to know who I am".

Ironically, when I Googled my name, I never realized there were so many other people with the same real name as mine, and some of them were on the Internet for unflattering reasons... smile

As for the most recent spam post here in this thread, there was a time when the moderators would take quick action and remove such activity quickly. But maybe no one reported it and they just don't know about it.

All the best!

Rick
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/13/21 10:10 PM
Hi Rick,
I received your pm,which I enjoyed! Actually I had no idea 😅 there were many piano wold members on YouTube.My husband once suggested I do a youtube recoding! We would have to buy all the recording equipment? I am not really interested though.I enjoy playing just for those around me.
Actually the only other forum I belong to is Reddit, and I never post there.So not much of a life on the internet here.I shall send you a pm.
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 10/13/21 10:26 PM
Hi Rick,
I received your pm,which I enjoyed! Actually I had no idea 😅 there were many piano wold members on YouTube.My husband once suggested I do a youtube recoding! We would have to buy all the recording equipment? I am not really interested though.I enjoy playing just for those around me.
Actually the only other forum I belong to is Reddit, and I never post there.So not much of a life on the internet here.I shall send you a pm.

Hello, tre corda, and I'm glad you enjoyed my YT video! I have about 140 or so music videos on my YT channel, and many of the songs are original songs/arraignments that I wrote/composed.

Actually, most of my YT subscribers like my boogie-woogie and blues tunes the most, along with the old upright saloon piano tunes. But for me, it is all for fun. I figure if I like my own music, someone else might like it too (or not:-).

I would love to hear you play! Most members here play way better than me, but that doesn't stop me from trying... smile

We are glad you are a member here on PW, which I feel is a great community of like-minded folks, who love music in general, and the piano in particular!

All the best!

Rick
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/12/22 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wilsonnex
I've never understood why people are discrediting others for working in the art domain.

Hello, Wilsonnex, and welcome to Piano World!

As I read your comments, I was surprised at the comments quoted above. Where in this thread do you see/read anyone discrediting others for working in the "Art Domain"? I read back through the thread and I don't see that, or at least it didn't jump out at me.

To say or express the thought/idea that it can be difficult to make a good living in the music industry/field is not discrediting others for working in the field or art domain, as you mentioned. There are many individuals who do indeed make a very good living, and then some, in the music industry/art domain. Some become superstars and extremely wealthy and famous as musicians/artists/actors/authors/teachers/etc...

I've known others who chose certain career fields that had a lot of potential, but yet, for various reason, they struggled or had a difficult time making a good living at it or being successful at it, and had to change career fields. I don't see that comment as discrediting those individuals who changed career fields for whatever reason.

I will say, however, that I also know of certain individuals, and know them personally, who are super talented and extremely good musicians who could easily work as professional performers/musicians/artists, who chose to have a good day job and enjoy their musicianship on a more casual, part-time basis. That comment also, in my view, is in no way discrediting anyone who works in the art domain, as you called it.

Wishing you and all those individuals who work in the Arts Domain the very best!

Rick
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/12/22 06:44 PM
Hi Rick - I think you are inadvertently responding to a spammer.
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/12/22 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

Well, dang, just my luck. Thanks, Owen! smile

I guess I should have clicked on the "find new job" link in the thread, and then I would have been more informed about what I was responding to. But since I'm retired, and loving it, I'm not interested in a new job.

A bit OT, but my former Dean/boss at the technical college where I worked for 26 years has called me three times in the last couple of years, wanting me to come back to work, full-time or part-time. I said no all three times, and I hope he has gotten the message.

Now, on the other hand, if I got a call from an agent or recording company offering me a contract as a Piano Rockstar, I might be interested, depending on how much it paid... (Just kidding; wait, no I'm not kidding:-) smile

Rick
Posted By: SouthernZephyr Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/12/22 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Rickster

I guess I should have clicked on the "find new job" link in the thread, and then I would have been more informed about what I was responding to. But since I'm retired, and loving it, I'm not interested in a new job.

A bit OT, but my former Dean/boss at the technical college where I worked for 26 years has called me three times in the last couple of years, wanting me to come back to work, full-time or part-time. I said no all three times, and I hope he has gotten the message.

Now, on the other hand, if I got a call from an agent or recording company offering me a contract as a Piano Rockstar, I might be interested, depending on how much it paid... (Just kidding; wait, no I'm not kidding:-) smile

Rick

I would recommend that you never click on an unknown link, as it may be a way to install malware on your system
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/12/22 09:57 PM

Rick

I would recommend that you never click on an unknown link, as it may be a way to install malware on your system

I agree, thanks. That is why I didn't click on the link to know it was spam.

Rick
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/12/22 11:16 PM
Careers in music have never been the same since the advent of recorded music. Before that, there would have been a lot of work for musicians as no one could hear music without hiring musicians. Personally, I prefer the convenience of listening at home. On the other hand, most musicians make money through teaching. Piano teaching rates can be as high as AU$90/hour in Australia. Still, it doesn't seem like the easiest way to make a lot of money. And it must be quite competitive.

In my opinion it's a mistake to become exclusively interested in something with limited economic value. There's lot's of careers which are well paid, yet still interesting to learn and master. I studied pure mathematics, yet it's very hard to make a living doing maths in itself. Instead, I'm gainfully employed in finance which I still find interesting, and I have time outside of work to enjoy piano and mathematics.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/12/22 11:22 PM
I find it slightly amusing how orchestra webpages have "Donate" buttons everywhere, as if they are charities. They are, quite simply, people who want to get paid to do something they enjoy and find fulfilling. I mean, most people probably dream of being an actor, dancer, singer, famous sportsperson rather than a boring accountant or office worker. They would probably retort that the arts should be supported because it has some kind of cultural value. But if I were to go down to the Sydney orchestra and suggest they donate money to me so I could sit around working on interesting mathematical ideas which have broader cultural value to society, I expect the reception would be quite frosty. I'm sure they would think it quite ridiculous that I expected them to just give me their money.
Posted By: Maestro Lennie Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/12/22 11:58 PM
Pricing models don't usually allow ticket prices that will support high-quality classical performers, for the most part. If you're going to make it work, you need to find something else, whether it is pooling a concert series with some huge star-quality event, looking for corporate sponsorship, or asking the people who pay $100 for a ticket to goose it up to $1,000. No sense complaining about it.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:14 AM

That's my impression too. There's been some stealthy spamming going on lately. I'll give them credit for not being too obtrusive, but they tend to revive older threads that have a flimsy connection to whatever they're linking to.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by BDB
The term "spam" for unsolicited email comes from a Monty Python skit.

Yep. My students always get a kick out of the etymological roots of the expression!

Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Sonepica
I find it slightly amusing how orchestra webpages have "Donate" buttons everywhere, as if they are charities. They are, quite simply, people who want to get paid to do something they enjoy and find fulfilling.
Symphony orchestras are non-profit businesses that cannot survive on revenue from ticket sales alone and therefore must rely on other revenue sources to break even - including individual contributions. They are no different than non-profit museums, opera and theater companies. If a community values these institutions they must support them through ticket sales as well as public (government) and private (individual, corporate) contributions.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:28 AM

I also retired from teaching last year after ten years total. I took 3 semesters off when Mrs. Retsacnal was terminal, and then a couple more to take care of me. In that gap, and since then, they ask me to come back each semester. I think in certain disciplines there's a shortage of instructors, and in others there's a surplus. I'm still relatively young, so I'm not ruling out future teaching, but I'm really sort of trying to figure out what the next (widower) chapter of my life is going to look like, and where I'll be (compounded by the fact that both of my girls have now graduated and started working--they're not averse to relocating, but the deeper their roots go, the more likely we'll all be sticking around here).
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Scott Cole, RPT
To reply to the original post: schools in the US are notorious for inflating their grad employment figures. Even law schools.

There are few jobs anywhere in music these days.

Many of my friends who majored in music have struggled to find gainful employment. The best local scenario is a public school teaching job coupled with a church job, and/or local symphony work. That said, my college did not have a noteworthy conservatory. But the meat-and-potatoes music department did offer performance degrees. To their credit, they really encouraged those students to try to earn a teaching certificate too.

I think it's a difficult business to succeed in. At the same time, there's certainly something to be said for doing what you love. I was blessed with the ability to program a computer, but I realized very quickly that I had to find the joy in my life outside of my vocation.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:42 AM

I Googled your name and see that you've got 7.6 million views of your saloon tune video!
That's incredible. thumb
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Carey
I find it slightly amusing how orchestra webpages have "Donate" buttons everywhere, as if they are charities. They are, quite simply, people who want to get paid to do something they enjoy and find fulfilling.
Symphony orchestras are non-profit businesses that cannot survive on revenue from ticket sales alone and therefore must rely on other revenue sources to break even - including individual contributions. They are no different than non-profit museums, opera and theater companies. If a community values these institutions they must support them through ticket sales as well as public (government) and private (individual, corporate) contributions.

What's a non-profit business? You mean they don't have shareholders or investors to pay? They are still profitable for the staff who work at them who, like I said, want to get paid to do something they enjoy. I mean, they don't go around looking for funding and donations because they are selflessly concerned about the cultural contribution they make. They're acting in self-interest. If the public does not particularly want these services, because they prefer to listen to music on youtube while lying on their beds, or watch netflix instead of attending the theater, one would have to think carefully about what the reason is to subsidize them. Anyway, I'm not particularly against government funding of the arts. But I did want to highlight that people who expect donations and public subsidy would unlikely be keen to donate their own money to support someone else's favourite (or allegedly culturally significant) activity.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:47 AM
if I were to ... suggest they donate money to me so I could sit around working on interesting mathematical ideas which have broader cultural value to society, I expect the reception would be quite frosty. I'm sure they would think it quite ridiculous that I expected them to just give me their money.

That's academia! wink
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
if I were to ... suggest they donate money to me so I could sit around working on interesting mathematical ideas which have broader cultural value to society, I expect the reception would be quite frosty. I'm sure they would think it quite ridiculous that I expected them to just give me their money.

That's academia! wink

Doing research is a bit different, because you are (allegedly) producing new work of cultural value. Producing another performance of a piece which already has 200 recordings, assuming people don't really want to attend it, is something with a much more limited cultural contribution. Anyway, academia is publicly funded, but my point was I don't think many musicians would be keen to click a "Donate" button on a maths page on the internet and give their personal income to this culturally important activity.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:54 AM

What's a non-profit business? You mean they don't have shareholders or investors to pay? They are still profitable for the staff who work at them who, like I said, want to get paid to do something they enjoy. I mean, they don't go around looking for funding and donations because they are selflessly concerned about the cultural contribution they make. They're acting in self-interest. If the public does not particularly want these services, because they prefer to listen to music on youtube while lying on their beds, or watch netflix instead of attending the theater, one would have to think carefully about what the reason is to subsidize them. Anyway, I'm not particularly against government funding of the arts. But I did want to highlight that people who expect donations and public subsidy would unlikely be keen to donate their own money to support someone else's favourite (or allegedly culturally significant) activity.

I think the overarching dynamic is that many arts groups are non-profit almost out of necessity, because they are sadly not profitable, or wouldn't be on their own.

And many musicians are hustling to scratch out a living. I don't know if things have changed in my hometown (I moved away a long time ago), but Augusta and Savannah Georgia, and Columbia South Carolina largely shared a symphony. They'd put together a show and the professional musicians would trek between the three cities to get the most bang for their buck (i.e. they were members of all "three" symphonies). They were augmented by a handful of competent locals. And these were fairly talented musicians with degrees from good schools. Most were also adjuncting at colleges in the area, often more than one.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:59 AM
Oh, btw, Spam isn't looked askance at in some parts of the world.
My girls like it, and we usually have a can or two in the house.
It reminds them of their childhood in Jakarta. thumb
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 01:08 AM

I think the overarching dynamic is that many arts groups are non-profit almost out of necessity, because they are sadly not profitable, or wouldn't be on their own.

And many musicians are hustling to scratch out a living. I don't know if things have changed in my hometown (I moved away a long time ago), but Augusta and Savannah Georgia, and Columbia South Carolina largely shared a symphony. They'd put together a show and the professional musicians would trek between the three cities to get the most bang for their buck (i.e. they were members of all "three" symphonies). They were augmented by a handful of competent locals. And these were fairly talented musicians with degrees from good schools. Most were also adjuncting at colleges in the area, often more than one.

Musicians want money so that they can have: Cars, houses, plane tickets, computers, lawn mowers, microwaves etc etc. Yet all of these things require people to study and do things that aren't necessarily that interesting or romantic. Hammering in nails in 35 degree sun, or drawing up the schematic for the electronics of a microwave, are not as romantic as being an admired travelling concert pianist, performing in concert halls in beautiful European cities. If they want to try and get paid to do something they find fulfilling, but the public doesn't particularly want from them, that's fine. I'm just saying I don't think people trying to do something they enjoy constitute a charitable cause.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 01:25 AM
Musicians want money so that they can have: Cars, houses, plane tickets, computers, lawn mowers, microwaves etc etc. Yet all of these things require people to study and do things that aren't necessarily that interesting or romantic. Hammering in nails in 35 degree sun, or drawing up the schematic for the electronics of a microwave, are not as romantic as being an admired travelling concert pianist, performing in concert halls in beautiful European cities. If they want to try and get paid to do something they find fulfilling, but the public doesn't particularly want from them, that's fine. I'm just saying I don't think people trying to do something they enjoy constitute a charitable cause.

I don't disagree with you. At the same time, I'm glad they are generally able to scrape up the resources needed to keep going, because I enjoy participating as an audience member (or at least did before Covid). When I was younger, I enjoyed participating in choral things (gratis).
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 03:00 AM
I remember when I was in a high school maths class, one of the students was declaring how he wanted to be an actor. I'm not sure how this topic arose, perhaps he meant that it didn't matter that his marks in maths were low because he was going to be an actor anyway. The maths teacher was trying to explain that it's very hard to make a career as an actor. The student was outraged, and told the maths teacher that it was unacceptable to discourage people from their dreams! "I'm just saying that the percentage of people who make it big is very small", said the maths teacher.

I also remember this student because once when we arrived at the classroom there was no chair at my desk, so I took one from one of the many empty desks to use. The student decided that, since he had intended to sit there, I had effectively stolen his chair, even though he hadn't yet sat there. So he rudely "stole" it back. There were plenty of other chairs he could have taken, and I just took a different one.

Anyway, I wonder if that student went on to become a highly paid actor. Or became a very low paid actor struggling to find work. Or eventually realised he should do something useful. Or was just too stupid to ever do anything useful.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 03:36 AM
Actors aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed, are they? grin ha

I'm old enough that I don't remember a lot about school, but I do remember the first night of classes in my MBA program, which I did after about 10 years of life experience. The norm is for everyone to introduce themselves. I remember one classmate announcing that her undergraduate degree was in Accounting, and that after the MBA she was going to get a PhD in Finance! I thought, "what? Accounting and an MBA is not the route to a PhD in Finance!" And another guy was such a blowhard that I thought, "stay away from him." But by the end of the program he was my best friend in the program, and that young lady did go on to get a PhD in Finance! Things don't always go the way you expect or want them to.

My favorite classes in the MBA program were Economics and Finance, but I'm glad I did the undergrad Econ prerequisites in a school where Economics was taught as a social science, because Business Economics tends to focus on the bottom line, and that leaves a lot out (IMO).
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 03:52 AM
Perhaps he ended up teaching Drama in a university or he perhaps now reads the weather report on the radio.Sonnepica I enjoy recordings but they are really reproductions of music, so standardized.After a number of times of listening to Beethoven's concerto no3 by a DVD I grew to dislike the piece.
It took listening to a brilliant performance to make me like the piece again.(however I never listen to that recording anymore, even though it was of a great pianist pianist) Listening to recordings are enjoyable and we can learn from them.
On the whole though the magic is not really there.We only think it is for a while only.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 03:56 AM
Perhaps he ended up teaching Drama in a university or he perhaps now reads the weather report on the radio.Sonnepica I enjoy recordings but they are really reproductions of music, so standardized.After a number of times of listening to Beethoven's concerto no3 by a DVD I grew to dislike the piece.
It took listening to a brilliant performance to make me like the piece again.(however I never listen to that recording anymore, even though it was a great pianist playing it) Listening to recordings are enjoyable and we can learn from them.
On the whole though the magic is not really there.We only think it is for a while only.

That's fine. But presumably the fact that orchestras struggle to attract people, and audiences are aging, suggests that most people don't think it's worth it?
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 05:21 AM
I can admire people who chase their dreams. And especially paying their dues.

This is well-worn ground, but there's a running joke in NYC, and I presume other places where people hope to make it big, that everyone introduces themselves in two ways: "Hi, I'm an actor, but I'm working as a waiter," or "I'm a dancer, but I'm working as a barista."
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 07:28 AM
That's fine. But presumably the fact that orchestras struggle to attract people, and audiences are aging, suggests that most people don't think it's worth it?
Please speak for yourself (haha). Symphony orchestra audiences have been aging for decades, and historically only a small segment of the population has ever attended live orchestral performances. Additionally the marginalization /elimination of music education programs in the schools over the past 60 years has significantly reduced understanding and appreciation of classical music. Then, of course, there are many things that compete for the general public's entertainment dollar. Despite all of this, I have no doubt that the arts will survive. I would never discourage anyone from pursuing a career in music if they have the talent and passion - as long as they are realistic about it and have a Plan B in case things don't work out for them.
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 12:54 PM
Thank you, Carey.
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 01:57 PM
I don't know for sure, but I would think Symphony Orchestra musicians would have somewhat of a steady income, and a good one. But, again, I'm just speculating because I don't know any Orchestra musicians personally.

I did, however, work with a guy at the technical college, who worked as a part-time police officer for the college, who was also a retired fireman/arson investigator with one of the large metro Atlanta counties. He was also a violinists/fiddle player, and a good one, and I mean really good.

He played in a bluegrass band, who got paid whenever they played a gig. Not sure how much the band was payed, but they were good enough they didn't have to play for free.

I said all that to say this... he also played the violin/fiddle as a recording musician for some of the many recording studios around the metro Atlanta area fairly regularly. He said he got paid $300 per session/recording, which was one song/piece. If he played two songs/pieces he got $600. Again, he was that good, and had a great personality to go along with it. I played my 5-string banjo with him and a few other musicians, who worked at the college, for some special events a few times. It was a pleasure to play with such a fine musician. Made me feel like a real musician! smile

And, while I'm here, and drinking my second cup of morning coffee:-), my oldest son is a guitar player and a good one, and I mean really good (but I may be biased a little smile ). He has his own HVAC company and has been very successful at it. He said one of his customers, who had heard him play the guitar with his blues band, asked him why he was working in HVAC and not in Nashville making big bucks as a guitar player. My son replied and said there were many guitar players in Nashville who were way better than him working in restaurants as waiters or working in construction waiting on their big break in the music/entertainment business.

So, yes, I'm sure one could earn a good living in the field of music if they work hard at it, stick with it and pursue the right opportunities, and, have a plan B, as Carey mentioned.

Wishing musicians everywhere all the best!

Rick
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 03:29 PM
The symphony musicians I was referring to were in a relatively small town. Augusta and Savannah aren't too big. Columbia, SC is slightly bigger. The 3 form a triangle of about an hour drive between any of them. I thought it was pretty clever to sort of join forces, and they would brand themselves with whichever city they were performing in: Augusta/Columbia/Savannah Symphony Orchestra!

my oldest son is a guitar player and a good one, and I mean really good (but I may be biased a little smile )

I've seen some of your son's videos, and I'd agree that he's an excellent guitarist. thumb
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 08:00 PM
The symphony musicians I was referring to were in a relatively small town. Augusta and Savannah aren't too big. Columbia, SC is slightly bigger. The 3 form a triangle of about an hour drive between any of them. I thought it was pretty clever to sort of join forces, and they would brand themselves with whichever city they were performing in: Augusta/Columbia/Savannah Symphony Orchestra!

my oldest son is a guitar player and a good one, and I mean really good (but I may be biased a little smile )

I've seen some of your son's videos, and I'd agree that he's an excellent guitarist. thumb

Thanks, Retsacnal!

Yea, my son takes after his dad. Oh, wait, on second thought, he is a much better musician than his dad will ever be. smile

But it is nice to take some credit for his musical abilities. I had the little fellow playing the guitar in a family Gospel music group when he was about 12 years old. My youngest son played the electric bass guitar, which was bigger than he was at the time. Some great memories for sure.

My oldest son has had a few paying gigs, and played the guitar in a Church praise band for a relatively large Church, for which he was paid each week.

I concur with the comments of some others here that teaching music lessons and working with the larger Church music programs is a good source of steady income for good musicians.

So, yes, there are opportunities for careers in music for those who pursue that field with enthusiasm and determination.

Rick
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 08:36 PM
I have no idea what has inspired this whole thread? It just seems so very negative.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 09:07 PM
I have no idea what has inspired this whole thread? It just seems so very negative.

Well to bring us back on topic, there are careers that pay 4 to 6 times as much as what many musicians make. You could do consulting work just a couple of hours a day, and then spend the rest of the day giving music performances for free. My advice for most people would be to pursue another, much more effective way of making money, in addition to what they enjoy.
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 10:10 PM
I do not believe a society would survive without highly trained
musicians and other artists.A society built only around materialism and commercialism will fail.Commercial music and art is everywhere.There is a Chinese saying I think it goes something like this "If a man only has two pennies (or cents), let him buy some bread with the one penny.With the other penny he should buy some flowers" That is my credo, I would rather "kick the bucket" than not buy those flowers!
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 10:15 PM
No one is suggesting not having musicians and actors. The question is around how many society needs. With recorded music and video, a small number of musicians and actors are able to entertain everyone all at once. There are far more people who want to be actors than society is willing to pay for, hence un and under employment.
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 11:35 PM
No one is suggesting not having musicians and actors. The question is around how many society needs. With recorded music and video, a small number of musicians and actors are able to entertain everyone all at once. There are far more people who want to be actors than society is willing to pay for, hence un and under employment.

Sonepica that is what it seems to be about, but I think the way the thread is going or perhaps even in the OP's original post it may be about a great deal more than what is stated.
I do not know how you forbid your talented son or daughter to
study thier choice of subject.( music, art, drama at college or university).Even if thier talents are not phenomenal people are complex and life is even more so.

Who is to say that people studying economics or computer science are going to be successful human beings.You notice I did not say wealthy human beings.
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 11:36 PM
No one is suggesting not having musicians and actors. The question is around how many society needs. With recorded music and video, a small number of musicians and actors are able to entertain everyone all at once.

You should definitely use this statement in your application to work for the the RAPM. Should play well.
Posted By: BDB Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 11:37 PM
On the subject of music versus math, every year I go through the New York Times list of people who died the previous year, to see how many I had tuned for. This year there were only two, one musician and one mathematician.

I get requests to donate to Mathematics at Berkeley, as it was one of my majors, so indeed, people do ask to donate to mathematicians.

I have also known people who take a variety of odd, low-paying jobs so they can play around with mathematics. I also know people who have developed skills and talents in music that have enabled them to get high-paying jobs in other fields, in addition to playing music. And then there are people like myself, who do not have a lot of musical talent, but still manage to be fairly successful in music. Not all the career opportunities in music involve playing music.
Posted By: SouthernZephyr Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 11:42 PM

I personally do not find recorded music to be as fulfilling as a live performance.
Yes, there are more musicians snd actors that can make a successful career at either. Currently, they either supplement their income with other work in the arts or find another career.

What change would you suggest?
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/13/22 11:47 PM
No one is suggesting not having musicians and actors. The question is around how many society needs. With recorded music and video, a small number of musicians and actors are able to entertain everyone all at once.

You should definitely use this statement in your application to work for the the RAPM. Should play well.

I googled RAPM and came up with "Russian Association of Proletarian Musicians". I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to.

Originally Posted by BDB
On the subject of music versus math, every year I go through the New York Times list of people who died the previous year, to see how many I had tuned for. This year there were only two, one musician and one mathematician.

I get requests to donate to Mathematics at Berkeley, as it was one of my majors, so indeed, people do ask to donate to mathematicians.

I have also known people who take a variety of odd, low-paying jobs so they can play around with mathematics. I also know people who have developed skills and talents in music that have enabled them to get high-paying jobs in other fields, in addition to playing music. And then there are people like myself, who do not have a lot of musical talent, but still manage to be fairly successful in music. Not all the career opportunities in music involve playing music.

FYI, I place universities in the same category as orchestras in this regard. My old university would sometimes send me colourful booklets encouraging me to make a donation. They even tried calling me on the phone to make this recommendation. Universities are not charities. They charge a lot of money to students, pay only a small fraction of that money to the people on casual contracts actually doing most the teaching, and many other people employed there make a lot of money. The Vice Chancellor at my old uni was raking in 2mil a year.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by BDB

I did not mean that mathematicians or academic departments do not ask for donations. What I meant was, if I were to ask the Sydney orchestra to donate to me so I could spend my time working on mathematics, I'm sure they would decline. Yet, very keen for me to donate to them to support their activities.
Posted By: BDB Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 12:23 AM
The Sydney orchestra does not ask for you to donate to just anyone who wants to spend time playing music. You should be able to recognize that false equivalence.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by BDB
The Sydney orchestra does not ask for you to donate to just anyone who wants to spend time playing music. You should be able to recognize that false equivalence.

I would not be asking them to donate so Jim the homeless guy can try to do some mathematics. I have significant qualifications.
Posted By: Sgisela Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 12:27 AM
I did not mean that mathematicians or academic departments do not ask for donations. What I meant was, if I were to ask the Sydney orchestra to donate to me so I could spend my time working on mathematics, I'm sure they would decline. Yet, very keen for me to donate to them to support their activities.

May I ask if there are any organizations to which you donate and that you consider ‘worthy’ of your financial support? I have to say I’m rather surprised to see this point of view on a forum where presumably most participants are music enthusiasts.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Sgisela

May I ask if there are any organizations to which you donate and that you consider ‘worthy’ of your financial support? I have to say I’m rather surprised to see this point of view on a forum where presumably most participants are music enthusiasts.

What I am doing is making a distinction between businesses and charities. They are not helping blind children in Africa. They are trying to get paid to do something they enjoy. If you value the performances they put on you can support them by being a paying attendee of their concerts. If people don't really want to attend their concerts I don't see the point of supporting them through donations.
Posted By: Sgisela Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 12:58 AM
What I am doing is making a distinction between businesses and charities. They are not helping blind children in Africa. They are trying to get paid to do something they enjoy. If you value the performances they put on you can support them by being a paying attendee of their concerts. If people don't really want to attend their concerts I don't see the point of supporting them through donations.

I suspect that without financial support, institutions like the Metropolitan Opera, the Metropolitan Museum of art, and other such high caliber fine arts venues, would not be able to operate as they currently do. You may be quite happy living in a world where these institutions do not exist. But I think the downstream repercussions for all of us (including those who primarily listen to classical music from recordings) would be quite significant. I, for one, like a world where these kinds of institutions (as well as smaller, more local institutions like the Augusta Symphony Orchestra that Retsacnal mentioned) exist (and ideally, thrive). To each their own. I hope you are sending lots of money to help blind children in Africa, as well as other charitable endeavors.
Posted By: BDB Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by BDB

I would not be asking them to donate so Jim the homeless guy can try to do some mathematics. I have significant qualifications.

If you think the Sydney orchestra asks you to donate so Jim the homeless guy can try to do some music, I suspect that you overestimate your qualifications.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:04 AM

I suspect that without financial support, institutions like the Metropolitan Opera, the Metropolitan Museum of art, and other such high caliber fine arts venues, would not be able to operate as they currently do. You may be quite happy living in a world where these institutions do not exist. But I think the downstream repercussions for all of us (including those who primarily listen to classical music from recordings) would be quite significant. I, for one, like a world where these kinds of institutions (as well as smaller, more local institutions like the Augusta Symphony Orchestra that Retsacnal mentioned) exist (and ideally, thrive). To each their own. I hope you are sending lots of money to help blind children in Africa, as well as other charitable endeavors.

If you want these institutions to exist, you support their continued existence by paying to attend their concerts. If you don't really want to attend their concerts, why would you want their concerts to continue to exist? Unless you mean you want them to exist so you can attend only rarely, which will not provide them sufficient support to continue to exist.
Posted By: SouthernZephyr Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:05 AM

The point of supporting through donations:
Even with a full audience, many symphonies could not survive without donations— unless you want to raise the ticket price to a point where it would only be affordable to the elite.

You are missing something: musicians don’t only get paid for what they enjoy doing, but they have many years of professional training before they ever play on a concert stage.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by BDB

If you think the Sydney orchestra asks you to donate so Jim the homeless guy can try to do some music, I suspect that you overestimate your qualifications.

BDB, you've failed to understand this part of the discussion.
Posted By: BDB Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:18 AM
More likely, you have failed to make your part of the discussion cogent.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:19 AM

The point of supporting through donations:
Even with a full audience, many symphonies could not survive without donations— unless you want to raise the ticket price to a point where it would only be affordable to the elite.

You are missing something: musicians don’t only get paid for what they enjoy doing, but they have many years of professional training before they ever play on a concert stage.

Well if classical music performances are not economically viable without donations, doesn't that pretty much answer the OPs original question about career prospects in music?
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:21 AM
Since you are in Australia, you may find the following article of some interest. Even so, it doesn't address the full scope and complexity of symphony orchestra operations.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-04/why-no-symphony-orchestra-in-the-world-makes-money/8413746

I worked as a government arts administrator for over thirty years (with two state arts councils and two large city cultural affairs departments) and I never encountered a non-profit arts organization (in any discipline) that could rely totally on admission revenue to fully support their operation - even when attendance was excellent. Government (federal state and local), large and small businesses, and individual donors recognize the importance of the services these organizations provide to the community (not to mention their economic impact) and they support them accordingly.

If you elect to donate your money to other causes, that certainly is your prerogative.
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:23 AM
Well if classical music performances are not economically viable without donations, doesn't that pretty much answer the OPs original question about career prospects in music?
No, not really.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:26 AM
No, not really.

Well, if a business costs more money to run that it brings in, it's unlike to be able to provide a lot of employment opportunities. Unless the compensating donations are extremely generous and numerous.
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 01:48 AM
No, not really.
Well, if a business costs more money to run that it brings in, it's unlike to be able to provide a lot of employment opportunities. Unless the compensating donations are extremely generous and numerous.
True. However, in order to remain relevant and survive in the 21st century, orchestras everywhere are rethinking their business models, mission, programming and audience development efforts. The pandemic has only made these efforts more challenging. Many interesting articles can be found on the internet regarding these initiatives.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 02:08 AM
No, not really.
True. However, in order to remain relevant and survive in the 21st century, orchestras everywhere are rethinking their business models, mission, programming and audience development efforts. The pandemic has only made these efforts more challenging. Many interesting articles can be found on the internet regarding these initiatives.

Well that settles it then. With all this new rethinkingness and developtating of the audience, there will be no end of jobs for classical musicians. Agreed! Good then. I'm glad we were able to figure this one out and reach consensus.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 03:16 AM
Plus there's no need for me to donate to people with such excellent employment opportunities, surely?
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 05:49 AM
Plus there's no need for me to donate to people with such excellent employment opportunities, surely?
Yes. I'm sure they'll get along quite nicely without your support. smile
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 06:05 AM
Well that settles it then. With all this new rethinkingness and developtating of the audience, there will be no end of jobs for classical musicians. Agreed! Good then. I'm glad we were able to figure this one out and reach consensus.
Well obviously it's all a work in progress with no guarantee of success. But I'm guessing you realize that.
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 06:52 AM
I do not think Sonepica wishes the worst for survival of symphonic music and the careers of orchestral players and other classical musicians.He was essentially debating the questions posed by the OP.(advanced training of performing artists) It was just a question that people had different answers for.
It brought with it certain differences of popular versus classical music.Some popular musicians actually "made it" without much or almost no musical training.That is not possible with classical musicians.Although I knew a young pianist who never studied music at university or college.That was qute while ago.
Different people contributed to these ideas.Sonepica plays classical music on his wonderful new piano.I do not believe he has ideas like those of a "music anachist."I found what he said interesting although I did not agree with him or with the original post.The arts programs are essential at college/university level.
Posted By: SouthernZephyr Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 09:26 AM
Just because Sonepica plays classical music at home does not mean that he is supportive of live musical performances. In fact, he wrote that he is content with recordings.

These may not be his real opinions, but until he personally confirms that he was indeed just interested in the discussion and the position he wrote was not his actual one, I will believe that what he wrote were his true opinion.
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 03:18 PM
Just because Sonepica plays classical music at home does not mean that he is supportive of live musical performances. In fact, he wrote that he is content with recordings. These may not be his real opinions, but until he personally confirms that he was indeed just interested in the discussion and the position he wrote was not his actual one, I will believe that what he wrote were his true opinion.

I also believe it is his true opinion. He apparently views orchestras and other non profit arts organizations as "people who want to get paid to do something they enjoy and find fulfilling." This belief obviously ignores the services these organizations provide to their communities as well as their impact on a community's overall quality of life and economy.

And for the record.......

From Wikipedia: "A nonprofit organization ..... is a legal entity organized and operated for a collective, public or social benefit, in contrast with an entity that operates as a business aiming to generate a profit for its owners. A nonprofit is subject to the non-distribution constraint: any revenues that exceed expenses must be committed to the organization's purpose, not taken by private parties." ...."The key aspects of nonprofits are accountability, trustworthiness, honesty, and openness to every person who has invested time, money, and faith into the organization. Nonprofit organizations are accountable to the donors, founders, volunteers, program recipients, and the public community."

Enough said.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 05:19 PM
Oh come on Carey. People study music and try to get jobs at orchestras because they think it is something they will enjoy far more than an office job. Not because they want to sacrifice their financial solvency for the cultural enrichment of others.

Also, I can't see how orchestral performances improve the quality of life or economics of *non-customers who don't actually attend their concerts*.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 05:28 PM
Despite musicians being motivated by self-interest in my opinion, there *could* be an argument to be made for governments, private institutions and/or private citizens to support orchestras with donations because of cultural and social benefits. There I said it.

However, I don't personally attend live concerts and just listen at home. Also, I strongly suspect that orchestras would be disinterested in supporting an allegedly culturally significant endeavor of my own. As I explained earlier.
Posted By: tre corda Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 05:41 PM
Just because Sonepica plays classical music at home does not mean that he is supportive of live musical performances. In fact, he wrote that he is content with recordings. These may not be his real opinions, but until he personally confirms that he was indeed just interested in the discussion and the position he wrote was not his actual one, I will believe that what he wrote were his true opinion.

I also believe it is his true opinion. He apparently views orchestras and other non profit arts organizations as "people who want to get paid to do something they enjoy and find fulfilling." This belief obviously ignores the services these organizations provide to their communities as well as their impact on a community's overall quality of life and economy.

And for the record.......

From Wikipedia: "A nonprofit organization ..... is a legal entity organized and operated for a collective, public or social benefit, in contrast with an entity that operates as a business aiming to generate a profit for its owners. A nonprofit is subject to the non-distribution constraint: any revenues that exceed expenses must be committed to the organization's purpose, not taken by private parties." ...."The key aspects of nonprofits are accountability, trustworthiness, honesty, and openness to every person who has invested time, money, and faith into the organization. Nonprofit organizations are accountable to the donors, founders, volunteers, program recipients, and the public community."

Enough said.
Agreed! just let it go.
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 05:49 PM
Despite musicians being motivated by self-interest in my opinion, there *could* be an argument to be made for governments, private institutions and/or private citizens to support orchestras with donations because of cultural and social benefits. There I said it.
Bless you. smile

However, I don't personally attend live concerts and just listen at home. Also, I strongly suspect that orchestras would be disinterested in supporting an allegedly culturally significant endeavor of my own. As I explained earlier.
I rarely attend live concerts myself anymore (other than weekly church services that I participate in musically). When I worked in another large city 30 years ago my city office operated a major symphony hall and I helped coordinate free symphony concerts in the parks - so I attended LOTS of concerts back then and developed an appreciation of all that is involved in presenting those performances. But like you, my musical activity now primarily centers around listening to and making music at home. Occasionally I do miss attending live symphony, opera and ballet performances.
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 06:45 PM
Oh come on Carey. People study music and try to get jobs at orchestras because they think it is something they will enjoy far more than an office job. Not because they want to sacrifice their financial solvency for the cultural enrichment of others.
There is nothing easy about being a professional musician. Competition is fierce and opportunities limited. Most folks pursue it, and are willing to make financial sacrifices because it is their passion. I suspect many of them want to share that passion with others.

Also, I can't see how orchestral performances improve the quality of life or economics of *non-customers who don't actually attend their concerts*.

You're obviously a smart guy. so.......looking at the larger picture (not just symphony orchestras) here's how the arts impact local economies and community life for the benefit of all citizens.

https://icma.org/articles/pm-magazine/arts-strong-connection

https://icma.org/articles/pm-magazine/importance-arts

https://phoenixtheaterhistory.com/news-from-the-wings/a-view-of-the-arts-in-2007/
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 07:40 PM
Yes yes yes, musicians have a profound impact on the community. Without them, the social fabric would simply fall apart. Good then.
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 08:18 PM
There's a similar situation with school teachers. Teachers believe they ought to be paid a lot more money, because their job is hard, they have to deal with disobedient students and overbearing parents, or whatever. And because their job is so important and they have a profound impact on the lives of the next generation. But people go into teaching because that's what they want to do, not out of self-sacrifice for the benefit of other people's children. And you get paid what other people are willing to pay you, not what you think your contribution is worth. A bus driver could reason that without him, no one else would be able to get to work. He might even think that the friendly chats and greetings he exchanges with his patrons can change lives. So his job is extremely important and he should get paid a lot of money. But that's not how the economy works.
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 08:59 PM
Yes yes yes, musicians have a profound impact on the community. Without them, the social fabric would simply fall apart. Good then.
Not musicians by themselves, but the arts in general. More significant than most folks realize, but not necessarily profound. And of course the social fabric could survive without the arts, but it certainly wouldn't be a fabric that I'd want to be part of for any length of time. smile
Posted By: LavaWave Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 09:18 PM
So from what I gathered from this topic is that concert/orchestra musicians play in such locations for the love of the game not for money since they won't get paid much for it, I assume whoever into this game has a primary job, while they spend some/most of their freetime practicing their favourite instrument before they hit the stage/theater.

And they save a lot of income to take flights to stages/theaters far away from their home since they must pay the flights and everything on their own.
With that said I presume the covid issue had a negative impact on taking a flight, which means many would be discouraged should they have to go to foreign countries.

Oh and as Carey said a society without arts of any kind is pretty melancholic.
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 09:22 PM
There's a similar situation with school teachers. Teachers believe they ought to be paid a lot more money, because their job is hard, they have to deal with disobedient students and overbearing parents, or whatever. And because their job is so important and they have a profound impact on the lives of the next generation.
And in addition, most have to earn post graduate degrees to be able to be qualified to teach.
But people go into teaching because that's what they want to do, not out of self-sacrifice for the benefit of other people's children.
But don't you agree that the primary purpose of teaching is to benefit other people's children, and in order to work in that profession individuals must accept the lower pay scale? So it seems that there is an element of self-sacrifice unless teachers don't care how much they get paid.
And you get paid what other people are willing to pay you, not what you think your contribution is worth.
Therein lies the problem. Society generally undervalues education and the importance of good teachers, and the pay scale reflects that. I was an underpaid teacher for a few years myself, then I spent several years as an underpaid government employee. I accepted all that because I believed in the importance of what I was doing. My choice, of course, but it didn't stop me from trying to correct what I perceived as inequities in the system.

Cheers !!
Posted By: Sonepica Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 09:56 PM
Anyone undervaluing or overvaluing something pays their own price, by definition. So there is no need to worry about it.

Some piano students I had in the past didn't like the fact that I made them practice scales, made them practice slowly, made them curl their fingers, complained that their rhythm wasn't even etc etc and eventually decided to stop taking lessons with me. Presumably, they thought that piano lessons should be fun, and not focused on boring things like thumb curling and finger positions. It didn't matter that I had attained a very high level of technical mastery and therefore probably knew what I was talking about.

Now, I didn't get angry and insist that this was in fact the right way to teach and they were undervaluing me. I didn't insist that they must spend their money on my piano lessons because that was clearly what was best for their musical development. I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on.

Undoubtedly, these people remain extremely amateur musicians who can't play scales, can't play rhymically evenly, and only play easy pieces poorly. That's the only kind of justice that there ever will be.
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/14/22 11:20 PM
Anyone undervaluing or overvaluing something pays their own price, by definition. So there is no need to worry about it.
Perhaps that depends on what is being over or undervalued. smile I am disheartened when I see how low teacher compensation can result in a mediocre education for our children - and feel even worse when music and art programs are eliminated from the school curriculum.

Some piano students I had in the past didn't like the fact that I made them practice scales, made them practice slowly, made them curl their fingers, complained that their rhythm wasn't even etc etc and eventually decided to stop taking lessons with me. Presumably, they thought that piano lessons should be fun, and not focused on boring things like thumb curling and finger positions. It didn't matter that I had attained a very high level of technical mastery and therefore probably knew what I was talking about.
Gee - reminds me of a few of the piano students I taught. grin

Now, I didn't get angry and insist that this was in fact the right way to teach and they were undervaluing me. I didn't insist that they must spend their money on my piano lessons because that was clearly what was best for their musical development. I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on.
Naturally....and since (I assume) it wasn't your primary source of income, you didn't suffer financially as a result.

Undoubtedly, these people remain extremely amateur musicians who can't play scales, can't play rhythmically evenly, and only play easy pieces poorly. That's the only kind of justice that there ever will be.
thumb thumb thumb
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/15/22 08:33 AM
On a related note...

My daughters and I watched “Enter Laughing” tonight. It’s Carl Reiner’s hilarious autobiography. His parents, who want him to become a druggist, are aghast because he wants to be an actor! His girlfriend frets that he’ll never be able to support someone.

The theater where he gets his first acting job, which operates on a shoestring budget, puts him on a “scholarship” and only charges him $3 per week. At the end they grudgingly let him act for free! wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott Cole, RPT Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/15/22 04:15 PM
I don't know for sure, but I would think Symphony Orchestra musicians would have somewhat of a steady income, and a good one. But, again, I'm just speculating because I don't know any Orchestra musicians personally.

I did, however, work with a guy at the technical think Symphony Orchestra musicians would have somewhat of a steady income, and a good one. But, again, I'm just speculating because I don't know any Orchestra musicians personally.

I did, however, work with a guy at the technical college, who worked as a part-time police officer for the college, who was also a retired fireman/arson investigator with one of the large metro Atlanta counties. He was also a violinists/fiddle player, and a good one, and I mean really good.

He played in a bluegrass band, who got paid whenever they played a gig. Not sure how much the band was payed, but they were good enough they didn't have to play for free.

I said all that to say this... he also played the violin/fiddle as a recording musician for some of the many recording studios around the metro Atlanta area fairly regularly. He said he got paid $300 per session/recording, which was one song/piece. If he played two songs/pieces he got $600. Again, he was that good, and had a great personality to go along with it. I played my 5-string banjo with him and a few other musicians, who worked at the college, for some special events a few times. It was a pleasure to play with such a fine musician. Made me feel like a real musician! smile

And, while I'm here, and drinking my second cup of morning coffee:-), my oldest son is a guitar player and a good one, and I mean really good (but I may be biased a little smile ). He has his own HVAC company and has been very successful at it. He said one of his customers, who had heard him play the guitar with his blues band, asked him why he was working in HVAC and not in Nashville making big bucks as a guitar player. My son replied and said there were many guitar players in Nashville who were way better than him working in restaurants as waiters or working in construction waiting on their big break in the music/entertainment business.

So, yes, I'm sure one could earn a good living in the field of music if they work hard at it, stick with it and pursue the right opportunities, and, have a plan B, as Carey mentioned.

Wishing musicians everywhere all the best!

Rick
Posted By: Scott Cole, RPT Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/15/22 04:20 PM
It depends on the orchestra—they exist at many levels. In the US, it’s a pyramid, with a handful of impossible-to-get jobs in high-paying orchestras at the top, and a broad base of part-time, low wage ones at the bottom.

As a former orchestral violinist, I’d say the vast majority of orchestra musicians do not make a full time salary. Most hustle around doing any available gigs like weddings while teaching privately or as a low-pay adjunct.
Posted By: Carey Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/15/22 04:59 PM
It depends on the orchestra—they exist at many levels. In the US, it’s a pyramid, with a handful of impossible-to-get jobs in high-paying orchestras at the top, and a broad base of part-time, low wage ones at the bottom.
Absolutely.
As a former orchestral violinist, I’d say the vast majority of orchestra musicians do not make a full time salary. Most hustle around doing any available gigs like weddings while teaching privately or as a low-pay adjunct.
So true. And a chosen few even become RPT's thumb thumb
Posted By: Rickster Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/15/22 05:11 PM

That is an interesting bit of info, Scott, and, from someone who actually worked as an orchestra musician. Thanks for the post.

As for me, I'm an amateur, hobbyist musician wannabe and have eared very little income over the years for my performances, if you want to call it a performance. smile And, when I was paid for playing music I was a bit ashamed to take the money because I didn't feel worthy enough to have earned it.

And, even if/when I perform in public, for free, I get enormous stage fright, which causes me to make more musical-mistakes than I would normally make. But it has still been a lot of fun learning to play what little music I can play and sharing my music (which is unorthodox to say the least) with others.

As mentioned in this thread earlier, I don't think me not having any real formal training in music has been a curse or a punishment-karma for not having been formally trained, although my musical skills are very limited. I've been told that I'm more of an "Entertainer" than a musician, but, hey, I'll take that as a compliment. smile

Still, though, it seems to me, reading through this thread, I'm thinking the general rule regarding careers in music is what I call "feast or famine". Some people are very successful in their music careers, in terms of pay/earnings and others struggle to make ends meet and have to find other sources of income. Also, I might add, it is not a failure or a disgrace if someone working in the music industry has to find other sources of income. I'd think it would be more of the norm than an anomaly.

Rick
Posted By: sonneriesvip Re: Career Prospects in music - 01/18/22 03:04 AM
sur sonneriesvip
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums