Piano World Home Page
Posted By: valo Young Chang Piano Query - 10/10/08 05:17 AM
Hi Everyone:-)
Im looking to purchase a piano at the moment and Ive found one this week at a good price and apparently in excellent condition.
However Im unsure as to the age or the quality of this brand and any tips or advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Its a Young Chang Upright
Model is U-1095
Serial # 0249528

Thank you in advance :-)
Rik
Posted By: pianosxxi Re: Young Chang Piano Query - 10/10/08 05:38 AM
Apprx. mid 1980's Young Chang, it is a decent piano, but you did not mention the price. This would give a more clear understanding if it is a good buy. You already said that it is in an excellent condition, the only one obstacle would be the price for it.

Most of the time, the quality depends on the price. Among piano technicians, Young Chang is not considered that good.
Posted By: Rod Verhnjak Re: Young Chang Piano Query - 10/10/08 05:48 AM
The piano was made in 1986.

As for the quality, have a technician check it out. I've seen some that were good and some that were not.

Many dealers selling entry level pianos back then, did minimal prep, 22 years later the piano has not gotten better so be prepared to have a technician tell you it could use a full regulation.
Posted By: valo Re: Young Chang Piano Query - 10/10/08 05:49 AM
Thank you so much for your help:-) The asking price is $665US.
Posted By: pianosxxi Re: Young Chang Piano Query - 10/10/08 06:16 AM
If in an excellent condition, for $665, go for it. smile
Posted By: pianobroker Re: Young Chang Piano Query - 10/10/08 05:18 PM
Young Chang in the mid eighties was their time of entry in the US piano market.Like the Japanese they had their problems as for wood seasoning acclimating to the US climate. I've had my share of preowned Young Changs over the years and would agree with previous posts.Some were quite nice and aged well than again some were total"dogs" The U107 was the more popular mdl. being a clone of the Yamaha M1. The U109 was a bit taller but of the same quality level.These Korean pianos rivaled Yamaha and were not cheap. The U109 originally retailed for $5500 though the actual retail of Korean pianos decreased in later years. I would probably get an authority to look at the piano in it's present state though at $665 what do you want. As the previous pro posters have mentioned condition is precedent. If it is in the
"bow wow" category even at $665 it's not a good deal.
Posted By: David Brant Re: Young Chang Piano Query - 12/22/08 06:03 PM
Hi Valo,

It's hard to comment on used pianos because you never know what the is the history behind the piano, how often it was played on (a university piano, for example, would be considered a 20 year old piano after only 1 year), and how many times it was moved and in what manner. It's enough that the piano was moved once in an unheated truck in the middle of winter to cause the ribs to expand or the sounding board and pin block to crack.
new pianos have a warranty and the company would generally stand behind it even if the issue is environmental.

I would stay away from any piano that costs less than $1000. At $665, it sounds too low to be any good. even a tech could do so much without taking the whole thing apart. It might not be worth the effort.

New Young Changs are a world away from their older models, and are quite affordable.

Happy shopping and happy holidays,
Posted By: DEANBRISSON Re: Young Chang Piano Query - 09/15/12 07:04 PM
Hi from Montreal !!

When was the Young Chang Canada Corp. modèle U109 built ? And what was the original retail price ?

I'm thinking of buying one...

Thanks for your info
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums