Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Retsacnal Rocketman - 09/05/19 04:31 AM
Just watched Rocketman.

Lot's of Yamahas!
Posted By: sroreilly Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 05:56 AM
Elton John is a Yamaha artist. A lot of those pianos "historically speaking" were not yamahas. It was a fun movie though.
Posted By: Iaroslav Vasiliev Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by sroreilly
A lot of those pianos "historically speaking" were not yamahas.

What do you mean?
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev

What do you mean?

I think Sean is saying that some of the pianos shown in the early stages of Elton's career were not Yamaha pianos, but Yamahas were used in the movie. This might be true, although I have not seen the movie.

I can tell you that John owns 5 Yamaha concert grand pianos and takes them with him where ever he tours (well, he probably only takes one with him).
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Just watched Rocketman.

Lot's of Yamahas!

Was it any good??
Posted By: mcontraveos Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 12:07 PM

What do you mean?

For instance, there's a scene in which Elton auditions for music school while in his teens. The piano used in that scene is some new Yamaha CX series piano, which of course, did not exist during the time of Elton's actual audition in the 50s/60s/whenever.

In other words, all sorts of "period" inaccuracies with regards to the piano models used.
Posted By: WeakLeftHand Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Just watched Rocketman.

Lot's of Yamahas!

Was it any good??

The movie or the Yamaha’s?

As for the movie, I enjoyed it, but not as much as Bohemian Rhapsody nor A Star is Born (but this wasn’t based on a real singer AFAIK).
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Just watched Rocketman.

Lot's of Yamahas!

Was it any good??

As for the movie, I enjoyed it, but not as much as Bohemian Rhapsody nor A Star is Born (but this wasn’t based on a real singer AFAIK).

Yes, I meant the movie.
Posted By: j&j Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 01:17 PM
I’ll probably wait for pay per view. Of all the people watching that movie, this group and this group alone would notice “piano inaccuracies”. smile
I’ve always been an Elton John fan. At least Sir Elton is still alive and can correct any outrageous inaccuracies in the script.
I also enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody but didn’t think the script really captured Freddy Mercury.
I would also watch a movie about one of my absolute favorites Leon Russell. Mad Dogs and Englishmen on tour with Joe Cocker in his prime!
Posted By: guyl Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 01:35 PM
Ah yes, movie inaccuracies. Always fun to look for them and say aha! Reminds me of the movie on Steve Jobs when he sold his batch of Apple 1 motherboards to a computer store that had a few of the original IBM PC monochrome monitors on the shelves, which didn't exist at the time.
Posted By: Iaroslav Vasiliev Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

What do you mean?

I think Sean is saying that some of the pianos shown in the early stages of Elton's career were not Yamaha pianos, but Yamahas were used in the movie. This might be true, although I have not seen the movie.

I can tell you that John owns 5 Yamaha concert grand pianos and takes them with him where ever he tours (well, he probably only takes one with him).

Originally Posted by mcontraveos
For instance, there's a scene in which Elton auditions for music school while in his teens. The piano used in that scene is some new Yamaha CX series piano, which of course, did not exist during the time of Elton's actual audition in the 50s/60s/whenever.

In other words, all sorts of "period" inaccuracies with regards to the piano models used.

I see. I guess Yamaha had paid some fee to the movie company in order for these 'inaccuracies' to happen.
Posted By: PianoWVBob Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 02:53 PM
I watched about half of it and never noticed!

I thought it was somewhat interesting but I couldn't finish it due to some content that put me off.

I'm a huge Elton fan however and love his playing. I wish I could do what he does at the piano. I wish he'd talk about it or do a "master class" video or something. He seems to not talk about his playing in much detail.
Posted By: ELPFAN Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 06:11 PM
If I understand correctly, EJ was the first one officially sponsored by Yamaha. Story goes Yamaha was not interested in sponsoring anyone, but some employee saw him play and convinced the upper-crust that it would be good for advertising the product in the USA when he toured....
Posted By: sroreilly Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by j&j
I’ll probably wait for pay per view. Of all the people watching that movie, this group and this group alone would notice “piano inaccuracies”. smile
I’ve always been an Elton John fan. At least Sir Elton is still alive and can correct any outrageous inaccuracies in the script.
I also enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody but didn’t think the script really captured Freddy Mercury.
I would also watch a movie about one of my absolute favorites Leon Russell. Mad Dogs and Englishmen on tour with Joe Cocker in his prime!

guilty as charged. I kept pausing bohemian rhapsody to see if they had actually used a fazioli in the scene of Freddie mercury's home (he was known to have owned a fazioli). I think they hid the name there. I actually can't recall if they ever showed the name of any piano used. The live aid concert looks to be American made in the actual concert (going by the squared edges of the case by the keys). The one used in the movie has the rounded edges typical of Europeans and Japanese pianos.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 09:01 PM
I know Yamaha produces many pianos ,but I dislike the continuous comments of dislike of these pianos.The tone of a piano is just personal like or dislike.Some very new Yamaha pianos can be very
bright. While I like a more "mellow "tone whatever that is.There are so many degrees of "mellownes " some more singing (a touch of brightness? )
It must be difficult on this forum for those (at times) with Yamaha pianos.
There are some of these I have really admired.,I have mentioned a U3 I once played that I just loved,
and a C2 grand.
Perhaps it is easier to own a Boston piano because it is not allowed an identity of any sort ?
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 09:29 PM

I see. I guess Yamaha had paid some fee to the movie company in order for these 'inaccuracies' to happen.

Not necessarily. Although there IS paid product placement the Matchless Cunningham has been in a number of movies and tv shows and we have never pid a dime for placement.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 09:34 PM

Not necessarily. Although there IS paid product placement the Matchless Cunningham has been in a number of movies and tv shows and we have never pid a dime for placement.

So your pianos also have been in the movies !
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 10:46 PM

Now that is just plain FUN!!
Posted By: mcontraveos Re: Rocketman - 09/05/19 11:38 PM

Good point!

I had also imagined something in the real Elton John's contract with Yamaha stating that any "authorized" portrayal of EJ that involves a piano must feature a Yamaha. Paid endorsement sounds more likely, however.

Did anyone catch the movie "Green Book"? There seemed to be some "inaccuracies" regarding plausible Steinway vintages there, too. The main character also makes claims about his preference for a Steinway; I wonder if that was some form of paid endorsement, or something else.
Posted By: sroreilly Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 02:46 AM

I had a phone call with the people at kasimoff and they told me a story of Robert Downey Jr. and Marvel looking for a grand for the mansion of Tony Stark (iron man) they asked what piano would a billionaire have in his home, they answered (of course) a Bluthner! and rented out a concert grand for the movie. It should be noted that the piano in the movie was destroyed horribly, but this was a fake piano or CGI or something.

As for Rocketman the movie, Elton John seemed to have a lot of pull in the making of the movie... he might even be the producer. I'm sure there was agreement all around to use Yamaha pianos (grands) wherever possible. I just thought it was worth pointing out that many of the "famous" pianos in some of those moments were Bechsteins and Steinways... I'm sure there was a fair share of Yamaha pianos as well though. =)
Posted By: dogperson Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 02:54 AM
Elton John was one out of five executive producers
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2066051/fullcredits
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 03:21 AM
If I ever become a billionaire, I'll splurge some of my fortune on huge corrective billboards pointing out instances where product placement stumps the truth.

"Elton John didn't choose Yamaha when.."

"[Star B] didn't own a Steinway, and considered Rolex a bit common."

Something like that. grin
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 03:59 AM
Elton John is a Yamaha artist. A lot of those pianos "historically speaking" were not yamahas. It was a fun movie though.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that a Yamaha in Elton John's childhood home is an anachronism!

This article says his step-mother still has the £68 receipt for a second-hand Collingwood that his dad bought him.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Just watched Rocketman.

Lot's of Yamahas!

Was it any good??

Yes, I meant the movie.

Yes, I enjoyed it, although I would agree that Bohemian Rhapsody was better. Sort of. It took a while to really appreciate Rocketman. It's a different style of story telling. By the end you start to really see John as a sympathetic character. A lot of the broken home and remarried dad story resonated with me personally. I did not enjoy A Star is Born. Too intense maybe. It was depressing.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 04:10 AM
Originally Posted by j&j
I’ll probably wait for pay per view.

I grabbed it on impulse from a Redbox. So only $1.75. wink
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 04:14 AM
Originally Posted by PianoWVBob
I watched about half of it and never noticed!

I've gotten into the habit of looking to see what kind of pianos are featured in movies and other shows. Usually the brand is not revealed, so the fact that Yamaha showed up a lot stood out to me, but not that it was "Yamaha" in particular, because, as other have note, I know that Elton John is a Yamaha artist.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 04:23 AM
I thought it was somewhat interesting but I couldn't finish it due to some content that put me off.

I could have done without some of the grittier scenes myself. In general, I tend to prefer PG when it comes to sexual content. I didn't realize this one was rated R until the Redbox had me acknowledge it during the checkout process. But I wanted to see it anyway, partly to compare to Bohemian Rhapsody, and partly just because I was intrigued by it.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 04:25 AM
I'm a huge Elton fan however and love his playing. I wish I could do what he does at the piano. I wish he'd talk about it or do a "master class" video or something. He seems to not talk about his playing in much detail.

I saw him in concert in the late 90's. He put on a heck of a show.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I know Yamaha produces many pianos ,but I dislike the continuous comments of dislike of these pianos.

I hope no one interpreted my post as anti-Yamaha. Mainly I posted for fun. It's a musical movie with a strong piano connection.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 04:29 AM

Now that is just plain FUN!!

Yeah! Love to hear these stories and/or see some clips! thumb
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 12:27 PM

Ok, so we have provided numerous pianos for films and tv shows filmed in Philadelphia. "Limitless" starring Bradley Cooper uses one of our pianos to fight gun wielding Russian who is breaking into his apartment. I call it the "Never bring a gun to a piano fight scene":

I have provided a still from "Law Abiding Citizen" starring Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler. The recital scene plays as counterpoint to a gruesome execution scene. If you wish to see it is is about 15 minutes into the movie, but during the recital our piano shows clear as day:

[Linked Image]

Those are two off the top of my head, but there are many more, including several M Night Shyamalan movies, the TV series Hack, and the 2012 Mini Series Political Animals, off hand.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 08:23 PM
"Limitless" starring Bradley Cooper uses one of our pianos to fight gun wielding Russian who is breaking into his apartment. I call it the "Never bring a gun to a piano fight scene"

That's what you get if you shoot up someone's piano! wink

Cool stuff! Thanks.
Posted By: FrankCox Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 09:33 PM
It's fun when there's local stuff in a movie.

Some of the Russian soldiers in K-19: The Widowmaker are the Melville Millionaires hockey team. When the movie was being made the team was at some kind of a training came near Gimli, Manitoba and the producers asked them to dress in Soviet navy uniforms and skate around a mock-up of the submarine's conning tower on a nearby frozen-over slough.

When I played the movie here in my theatre the whole team came to see it (of course) and when their scenes came up they did all kinds of cheering. The funny part of it was the rest of the audience that night, who had no idea why these guys were all cheering like that. smile
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Rocketman - 09/06/19 11:04 PM

Ok, so we have provided numerous pianos for films and tv shows filmed in Philadelphia. "Limitless" starring Bradley Cooper uses one of our pianos to fight gun wielding Russian who is breaking into his apartment. I call it the "Never bring a gun to a piano fight scene":

I have provided a still from "Law Abiding Citizen" starring Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler. The recital scene plays as counterpoint to a gruesome execution scene. If you wish to see it is is about 15 minutes into the movie, but during the recital our piano shows clear as day:

[Linked Image]

Those are two off the top of my head, but there are many more, including several M Night Shyamalan movies, the TV series Hack, and the 2012 Mini Series Political Animals, off hand.

Clips like these make it even more FUN!
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/07/19 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by FrankCox
It's fun when there's local stuff in a movie.

Definitely! A personal connection makes things more interesting. For example, my brother was an extra in Officer and a Gentleman when I was a kid. To simulate Officer Candidate School they needed people marching around in the background, and put the word out to all nearby schools. My brother was in Navy ROTC at the time on Whidbey Island, so he's in the background marching around.

More recently, several scenes in "The Mule" were filmed in my hometown, including my home church! The little flower nursery is right around the corner from where my best friend grew up. Of course, I haven't lived there in years.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/07/19 02:51 PM
btw, Bradley Cooper is in the clip Rich posted, and also in A Star is Born (mentioned above) and The Mule.
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Rocketman - 09/07/19 08:27 PM
Just for fun,

I found a clip from M Night Shyamalan's "The Village" that uses an original Matchless Cunningham upright piano: https://youtu.be/Rp87FxSF4Nc

It is not really "featured" in the scene but you hear it. The pianist is Marja Kaisla.
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Rocketman - 09/07/19 09:23 PM
Just for fun,

I found a clip from M Night Shyamalan's "The Village" that uses an original Matchless Cunningham upright piano: https://youtu.be/Rp87FxSF4Nc

It is not really "featured" in the scene but you hear it. The pianist is Marja Kaisla.

thumb
Posted By: panche23 Re: Rocketman - 09/08/19 02:22 AM
Wonder what brand of piano was used in the 2002 film The Pianist staring Adrein Brody. The location of the story is in Poland.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Rocketman - 09/08/19 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by panche23
Wonder what brand of piano was used in the 2002 film The Pianist staring Adrein Brody. The location of the story is in Poland.

Steinway.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Rocketman - 09/08/19 02:49 AM
Bechstein. grin

He was trying to sell his piano and the buyer was offering a pittance. His sister protested: "But it's a Bechstein!"
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Rocketman - 09/08/19 02:52 AM
Ah, I see it says Steinway in the script Tyrone posted, but it was a Bechstein in the film. Maybe it was changed for historical authenticity.

IIRC, there's a Perzina in the scene where Szpilman plays for the German officer.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/08/19 12:04 PM
I loved that movie The Pianist ,the music was wonderful but life was brutal.I have the DVD but would never watch it on my own.
Posted By: j&j Re: Rocketman - 09/08/19 03:50 PM
I loved that movie The Pianist ,the music was wonderful but life was brutal.I have the DVD but would never watch it on my own.

That is one of my absolute favorite movies. I remember the family was forced to sell their piano and that it was a Bechstein. Gut-wrenching but wonderful.
My tiny minor criticism of the movie is when he plays Chopin for the German officer on an abandoned piano in a bombed out building, the piano is in perfect tune.
Posted By: ShiroKuro Re: Rocketman - 09/08/19 04:03 PM
I loved the movie The Pianist. It made such an impression on me, esp. the end and his ability to make beautiful music after experiencing such hatred and ugliness. I felt like that message was such a hopeful one, but at the same time, it left me feeling a wordless sadness for weeks afterward....

Another movie that I loved, but never want to see again, is the Piano (with Holly Hunter). I loved the movie and the music, but I don't think I would watch it again. BTW, re the music, everyone always thinks of the main theme from the movie, but I also really love the piece called Big My Secret. I played that for one of the ABF recitals a few years back. I should get that back into my fingers one of these days...
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Rocketman - 09/08/19 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by j&j

That is one of my absolute favorite movies. I remember the family was forced to sell their piano and that it was a Bechstein. Gut-wrenching but wonderful.
My tiny minor criticism of the movie is when he plays Chopin for the German officer on an abandoned piano in a bombed out building, the piano is in perfect tune.

We loved The Pianist as well. It was a gut wrenching, wonderful story of a man loving the piano.
Posted By: Tyrone Slothrop Re: Rocketman - 09/08/19 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Ah, I see it says Steinway in the script Tyrone posted, but it was a Bechstein in the film. Maybe it was changed for historical authenticity.

IIRC, there's a Perzina in the scene where Szpilman plays for the German officer.

Interesting! The script even says final draft. Looks like it was changed late.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

The was something overwhelming (almost spiritual )when he played for the German officer.
The pianist placed the can of food on the piano ,then played with all the physical strength he
had left.
It seemed to me the officer would have let him live even if he played like an amateur.
Any society may get like Nazi Germany.Let us hope it never becomes us.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 05:17 AM

Indeed. I wonder if the writers knew that Szpilman's pre-war piano was a Bechstein.
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 05:33 AM
The was something overwhelming (almost spiritual )when he played for the German officer.
The pianist placed the can of food on the piano ,then played with all the physical strength he
had left.
It seemed to me the officer would have let him live even if he played like an amateur.
Any society may get like Nazi Germany.Let us hope it never becomes us.

Yes, it's a terrifying thought. It's hard to believe that this was happening only eighty years ago.

There's something magical about the performances (both acting and musical) in the film, and the way music brought both men a moment of sanity in a world gone mad.
Posted By: Lissa Martin Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 08:34 AM
Yup you are right
Posted By: huaidongxi Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 10:12 AM
Wladyslaw Szpilman in his Warsaw home - -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=szpilman+chopin+nocturne+c+sharp+minor
Posted By: j&j Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by huaidongxi

huaidongxi - Thank you for posting. Wladyslaw Szpilman was a superb artist from a musically gifted family.
Szpilman’s book and Roman Polanski’s movie bring home to readers and viewers the incredible tragedy of the Warsaw ghetto, the transport cattle cars, and the monstrous horrors of the work and extermination camps of the Holocaust.
We will never, ever forget.
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 07:13 PM

Indeed. I wonder if the writers knew that Szpilman's pre-war piano was a Bechstein.

So, I do not know if this happened and I do not know if it had anything to do with changing the brand of piano. But, the Bechstein family was a huge supporter of the Third Reich and were personal friends of Hitler. In fact, I have heard it said by those around at the time that if the Third Reich had an official piano, it was Bechstein.

In a movie that was dealing with this era, could the writers have found this out somehow and changed the brand as to not offend?

Just a thought,
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 07:33 PM
I remember reading certain pianists after the war refused to perform on the Bechstein instruments .(in public).The Bechstein family poisoned the brands reputation.Baldwin I think owned Bechstein for
a while after the war.This may must done the brand good.
After that Samick ,and I cannot remember the details but then again owned and made in Germany.
I think this shadow (caused by family members)hanging over the brand is gone.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 07:45 PM
I can imagine the writer (original pianist)would not have wanted a Bechstein used in the movie nor
would his family and it is perfectly understandable.
Posted By: panche23 Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 08:06 PM
Hitler-admiring tendencies of Helene Beckstein the daughter-in-law of the company founder are not somehow directly relevant to the history of the company. Too much noise about Hitler, there is no Hitler impact on the beautiful sound of Bechstein pianos. Polish-Jewish pianist Władysław Szpilman (famous thanks to the movie The Pianist directed by Roman Polański) used Bechstein piano until 1941 in his family private apartments in Warsaw. The above information was found on Wikipedia.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 08:23 PM
Well it was his piano and a great piano to suit a great pianist.They were losing everything do think he
had time or energy to change pianos because of that of that family's behavior.Besides who knew at
that stage the full horror's of the Holocaust .
It is a well known fact that,that family's closeness to a monster poisoned the reputation of
Bechstein for years.
It is amazing that that piano manufacture recovered ! There have been many Jewish pianists who felt this.How would you feel if nearly all your family and friends were wiped out ?
"A sentiment for a beautiful tone " would be filled by an abyss.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by panche23
Hitler-admiring tendencies of Helene Beckstein the daughter-in-law of the company founder are not somehow directly relevant to the history of the company. Too much noise about Hitler, there is no Hitler impact on the beautiful sound of Bechstein pianos. Polish-Jewish pianist Władysław Szpilman (famous thanks to the movie The Pianist directed by Roman Polański) used Bechstein piano until 1941 in his family private apartments in Warsaw. The above information was found on Wikipedia.

I understand what you are saying and I do not think that people connect this negative behavior of
Helene Bechstein to the instrument anymore not even Jewish pianists.If one does one may as well
judge many pianos with these WW2 connections.I do not think however the modern Bechstein even
sounds (tone wise)the same as it used to.It is still a magnificent instrument instrument however,
always was !
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 10:16 PM
The story of the Bechsteins and the Nazis is fascinating. Edwin Bechstein left the company after a row in 1918. In 1923, shares were sold publicly, so Edwin and Helena bought their way back in.

The family, at one point (long before the Nazis took over), attempted to remove him from the board owing to his Nazi sympathies. By the end of the War, Helene had bought up enough shares to take control of the company.

Because of who she was, she poisoned the family name, but I don't believe there were any allegations of wrongdoing by the company per se. Contrast this with many of the companies that are still in existence who used slave labour, and profited directly from the Holocaust.

Anyway, Bechstein was obliterated in 1945, and there's no real connection between the modern company, and the one that that toxic creature took over.
Posted By: huaidongxi Re: Rocketman - 09/09/19 11:14 PM
Bayer pharmaceuticals directly benefitted from the Shoah and the slave labour extracted by it. Monsanto chemical, never bashful about promoting carcinogens like 'round up' , found a very compatible buy out.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 12:50 AM
I know Yamaha produces many pianos ,but I dislike the continuous comments of dislike of these pianos.

I hope no one interpreted my post as anti-Yamaha. Mainly I posted for fun. It's a musical movie with a strong piano connection.

I certainly did not mean you !
I was just talking generally and from my own experience.Comments about the bright tone,Yamaha mass producing pianos, a motor cycles etc
The brighter tone of Yamaha pianos,one person once said they destroyed the tone of their pianos.That is what I meant.
It good to suggest a movie involving Yamaha pianos.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 01:59 AM

I certainly did not mean you !
I was just talking generally and from my own experience.Comments about the bright tone,Yamaha mass producing pianos, a motor cycles etc
The brighter tone of Yamaha pianos,one person once said they destroyed the tone of their pianos.That is what I meant.
It good to suggest a movie involving Yamaha pianos.

Yamaha make fine pianos and tone is the pianists choice ,nothing to do with quality.
During 1930 Germany was making 20,000 pianos a year .This was a sharp decrease from 1910 when that country made 120,000 pianos per annum.
By 1935(Hitler came to power in 1933 )Germany was only making only 4,000 a year.Clearly thier energies were elsewhere employed.This would not suggest slave labour !
During the war the Bechstein factory and other piano factories were involved in making ammunition.

In Britain 55,000 pianos were being made in 1935 (50,000 pianos in 1930)In the USA 61,000 were made in 1935.(120,000 were made in 1930)
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 02:09 AM
The above information come from The Piano (The New Grove Musical Instruments Series )Edited by Stanley Sadie 1988.They are estimates of piano production from 1870 ---1980
The Bechstein piano was even before WW2 one of the great piano brands closely tied to the creation of classical music as most of us know.(so was Germany)
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 02:36 AM
After that I should watch Rocketman ! No I have to practice .I think my Sauter is sounding brighter
these days,but for the BETTER ! Who wants a piano as mellow as a harp ?
Posted By: j&j Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 03:10 PM
After that I should watch Rocketman ! No I have to practice .I think my Sauter is sounding brighter

Hi LadyBird,

You got me to thinking. What if someone made a harp (gorgeous instrument) with a keyboard. With a keyboard we could all play the harp.
Posted By: BruceD Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by j&j[...
got me to thinking. What if someone made a harp (gorgeous instrument) with a keyboard. With a keyboard we could all play the harp.

I can wait. My time for harp playing will come soon enough, unless I'm somewhere else shoveling coal!

Cheers!
Posted By: iLaw Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 03:21 PM
I know! It could be called a harpsichord! wink

Larry.
Posted By: Simon_b Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 03:31 PM
Hi

As a big Elton John I had to see the movie, and loved it. I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet but as I see it there are 2 major differences between the 2 films.
1. All the singing in Rocketman was done by the leading actor Taron Egerton, where as in BH the leading actor mimed to Freddie Mercury's original vocals.
2. Rocketman is much closer to a musical in style. And there was no attempt to only use songs from the right period for particular scenes. So early on a song from 2001 is featured when Elton is a boy.

Somebody mentioned Elton John doing masterclasses in an earlier post. No such thing has ever happened I'm afraid. However almost 20 years ago a website was created which is the next best thing. It analyses his playing and compositions and as far as I know is the only place where this sort of thing was ever done. It was unavailable for a few years but is again now. Well worth checking out (as I've mentioned on the non-classical forum many times).

There are some very accurate transcriptions of his playing on there.

https://eltonscafe.net/

Cheers
Posted By: Iaroslav Vasiliev Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by iLaw
I know! It could be called a harpsichord! wink

Larry.

thumb
My first thought exactly.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by j&j

Hi LadyBird,

You got me to thinking. What if someone made a harp (gorgeous instrument) with a keyboard. With a keyboard we could all play the harp.

I once played a digital piano (Roland LX7)in a music store and it was obviously adjusted to 'MELLOW PIANO' . It was so mellow that I could hardly hear the tone.Far too mellow and sounded
like small Celtics Harp ?
I like a "singing tone" and to ME that means a piano that is not ultra mellow but has a balance of mellow and bright.
Posted By: j&j Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 04:21 PM
I’ve always been an Elton John fan and even bigger Queen fan. I just don’t think there’s too many actors out there that could do justice to Freddy Mercury’s voice while trying to sing Bohemian Rhapsody.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by BruceD
got me to thinking. What if someone made a harp (gorgeous instrument) with a keyboard. With a keyboard we could all play the harp.

I can wait. My time for harp playing will come soon enough, unless I'm somewhere else shoveling coal!

Cheers!

Perhaps that is why we all play the piano ,we do not want to prepair for harp playing too early !
Yet one day I hope to play one in that space .The alternative is too scary !
In the meantime enjoy your piano Bruce !
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by BruceD

Cheers!

Now, stop talking about me, lol.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by j&j
I’ve always been an Elton John fan and even bigger Queen fan. I just don’t think there’s too many actors out there that could do justice to Freddy Mercury’s voice while trying to sing Bohemian Rhapsody.

Elton would no doubt be insisting on playing Yamaha harp !
I remember his songs especially from the 80's and 90's.He is somehow entangled in
the life and tragedy of Princess Diana in my memory.(and the naughty Fergie who now
sounds like a saint ,with some of the stories we hear)
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 09:47 PM
When is Rocketwoman coming out ?
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 10:16 PM
When is Rocketwoman coming out ?

grin
Posted By: johnstaf Re: Rocketman - 09/10/19 10:54 PM
It's funny the way people call European pianos bell-like, as I think of NY Steinways as harp-like in the treble.
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/11/19 04:16 AM
These guys are lip syncing too (mostly).

Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/11/19 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by Simon_b
1. All the singing in Rocketman was done by the leading actor Taron Egerton, where as in BH the leading actor mimed to Freddie Mercury's original vocals.
2. Rocketman is much closer to a musical in style. And there was no attempt to only use songs from the right period for particular scenes. So early on a song from 2001 is featured when Elton is a boy.

Yes, Bohemian Rhapsody is basically a story told in chronological order, while Rocketman is told more through introspection and flashbacks. It works.

One of the best and most poignant scenes, IMO, is when older Elton hugs younger Elton, seemingly indicating that he's come to terms with himself.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Rocketman - 09/11/19 06:51 AM
It's funny the way people call European pianos bell-like, as I think of NY Steinways as harp-like in the treble.

Yes European piano tone =bell like ?
The last time I played a fairly large New York Steinways grand I was younger.I cannot remember what I thought, except that I liked it.I never liked the 130 sized upright all that much .Thank heavens
as the price was far more than we could have paid.
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Rocketman - 09/11/19 11:37 AM
These guys are lip syncing too (mostly).

Always a fun scene.
Posted By: PianoWVBob Re: Rocketman - 09/11/19 02:14 PM
So I just got finished with the movie. As I said there were parts that I didn't care for (personal stuff of eltons) but overall, I liked it.

I liked the fact that it's a "fantasy musical". I think that they made the right decision on the format.

I think that the main actors did a really good job with their roles.

I'd LOVE a full length documentary about Elton with him talking about his life and playing piano and talking about his technique.

His music is woven into the fabric of my life...I grew up on his stuff and to this day it holds up well.

I guess he's a Yamaha man. If I met him I'd ask him about it considering the conversations that go on here about them. smile
Posted By: Steve Cohen Re: Rocketman - 09/11/19 06:35 PM

His music is woven into the fabric of my life...I grew up on his stuff and to this day it holds up well.

You're not alone.

I read in one of his concert programs that he was the only artist to have a song in the Billboard Top Ten for 27 consecutive years!
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Rocketman - 09/11/19 08:51 PM
I [dont] remember when rock was young, and I don’t track the top forty, but I do know most of Elton John’s hits.

When I saw him in the 90s there was no band. It was just him and his piano.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums