Piano World Home Page

Used Piano choice

Posted By: jojousa

Used Piano choice - 08/15/19 06:17 PM

I have a question say, under the same room conditions, a 20 year old piano that has received above average usage (avid piano player/teacher) but has also been regularly maintained and tuned vs. a same aged piano that was mostly used as a decorative piece or as a PianoDisc player in occasions, but with less maintenance (once every 3,4 year), which piano would be a better target for purchasing?
Posted By: P W Grey

Re: Used Piano choice - 08/15/19 06:51 PM

The answer to your question is highly dependent on the actual condotion now. Your best course of action is to hire a qualified tech to evaluate them both. He/she would then be in the best position to advise you. I wouldn't even venture a guess without seeing them.

Pwg
Posted By: jojousa

Re: Used Piano choice - 08/15/19 06:55 PM

this is all hypothetical, given a average ambient condition, not extreme in both cases, I just want a more of educated opinion not a buying advice.
Posted By: j&j

Re: Used Piano choice - 08/15/19 07:04 PM

First I’d have to play both of them. Give them the full check with my more challenging repertoire. Then I’d get the piano technician looksee and get an estimate on what’s needed in the next 5 years. A piano needs maintenance whether or not it’s played. It would depend on whether the wear and tear from being played caused more damage than the lack of attention and overlooked maintenance has caused to the other piano. Piano is a hands-on instrument. Unless I try it, I just really can’t say.
Posted By: j&j

Re: Used Piano choice - 08/15/19 07:13 PM

Didn’t know it’s hypothetical. All other things being equal (and again they never are) I’d pick the one played less. There should be a lot more felt on those hammers.
Posted By: terminaldegree

Re: Used Piano choice - 08/15/19 11:30 PM

It would depend a lot on how the player system install went. Sometimes the pedals get pretty messed up when this is done. I have never installed or worked on one, so I don't know why this happens.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums