Piano World Home Page

Resources and data gathering

Posted By: karolus

Resources and data gathering - 08/14/19 10:52 PM

Hi everyone!

We are currently building a large database that contains information about piano manufacturers, piano models, and piano serial numbers. We are using the following as our references:

1. Pierce Piano Atlas
2. Pianos and their Makers vol. 1 and 2.
3. The International Directory of Music Industries (1911)
4. The Piano: An Encyclopedia

I am looking for more to add to this short list. Can anyone point me to some more resources?
Posted By: Lady Bird

Re: Resources and data gathering - 08/14/19 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by karolus
Hi everyone!

We are currently building a large database that contains information about piano manufacturers, piano models, and piano serial numbers. We are using the following as our references:

1. Pierce Piano Atlas

I am looking for more to add to this short list. Can anyone point me to some more resources?

Who are we ? Just curious!

Re: Resources and data gathering - 08/15/19 01:40 AM

Some of those resources you mentioned sound awfully old. For newer models Piano Buyer is best(?)I think ...
Posted By: dogperson

Re: Resources and data gathering - 08/15/19 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Some of those resources you mentioned sound awfully old. For newer models Piano Buyer is best(?)I think ...

Just FYI to the OP, Piano Buyer is copyrighted material ......... I would suggest you use the materials provided by manufacturers as your core data
Posted By: terminaldegree

Re: Resources and data gathering - 08/15/19 04:22 AM

Pierce Piano Atlas is also still in print, so just cutting and pasting their work on your own site without proper attribution or permission is not good behavior. I have never heard of items #3 and #4 on your list.

Piano Buyer + a copy of the Pierce Piano Atlas (both available online or in print) pretty much does what you're trying to do, at least as you have explained it.

Re: Resources and data gathering - 08/15/19 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by karolus
Hi everyone!

1. Pierce Piano Atlas

Is this a school project ? The only thing I can suggest is going to piano dealers and asking for catalogues.You may find they give you a few especially if it is school project.
Pierce Atlas.,The online version only seems to give the age of pianos (through the serial numbers) up to 2011 .At least that is the only version I am able to consult.However as terminaldegree has mentioned ,this as well as Piano Buyer are copyrighted material. So permission would be needed.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums