Piano World Home Page

Steinway--can someone identify this piano?

Posted By: pm124

Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/17/19 09:03 PM

Dear all--

We have a Steinway in our estate. We were wondering whether someone could identify the model and give a rough estimate of the value? It is from the early 2000s.

Thank you!

Peter

[img]https://ibb.co/mJn7pD4[/img]

[Linked Image]
who is prince jackson's mother
Posted By: Eric Gloo

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/17/19 09:10 PM

Welcome to Piano World! Can you take more photos for us? If you are able, please open the lid and take photos of the inside, where the strings are. The case does not resemble any Steinway case I've ever seen, unless it might be a custom case?
Posted By: Ed Foote

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/17/19 09:39 PM

Greetings,
We are talking righteously weird, here. The wooden case above a black slip, and a mysteriously hidden fall board? That is not a Steinway music desk, at least, not like anything I have seen. Where do you see the name "Steinway"?
Regards,
Posted By: AaronSF

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/17/19 09:46 PM

A serial number would be nice. It's on the plate at the front of the piano near the tuning pins. More extensive photos would be helpful, also.

The photo does not look like any Steinway I've ever seen, or for that matter like any piano I've ever seen. The mismatch of the case wood (walnut?), the keybed (ebony?), and the legs (white laquer or unfinished wood?) make for a truly unique look.
Posted By: texasdiver

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/17/19 10:10 PM

Someone is getting trolled here. Not sure if it is the OP or us.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/17/19 10:41 PM

It is not a Steinway, nor is it from the early 2000s. It looks to be a fairly nondescript grand probably from the 1920s that has been through a bad refinishing designed to hide many sins of old age.
Posted By: BruceD

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/17/19 11:10 PM

Not intending to malign the OP, but i'm wondering if to him the word "Steinway" is simply a synonym for a grand piano. Let's give the benefit of the doubt, although there is considerable doubt, since it looks like no Steinway (brand) that one has ever seen!

Regards,

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 01:09 AM

Hi! Thank you everyone. As Bruce says, I know nothing about pianos, but it does say "Steinway and Sons" on the front. Here are some more photos. I could not find the serial number anywhere. Maybe it is a fake?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BDB

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 01:19 AM

Definitely not made by Steinway. Someone just put a Steinway decal on it as part of the botched refinish.

Probably worthless.
Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 02:44 AM

It is not a Steinway. and it is not even a Steinwas. Somebody has committed a fraud.

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 02:48 AM

Seems like this would be an excellent target for Steinway and Sons to demonstrate their commitment to preserving their prestigious marque. Why don't we see a lawsuit coming from them? This is a perfect example of somebody destroying Steinway's reputation by putting their name on a piano that is not a Steinway!

Or, was that all just bluster and talk?
Regards,
Posted By: johnstaf

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 05:24 AM

I'd love to see a picture with the lid up. I'm curious to see what name is on the plate.
Posted By: Rich Galassini

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 07:48 AM

In this photo we can see a little window in the metal frame very close to the keyboard end of the piano, right around the tuning pins. In that little window is a serial number:

[img]https://ibb.co/KD36Bh2[/img]

Now we just have to figure out the brand of the maker. A photo of the inside of the piano would be helpful.

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 02:40 PM

Thanks everyone!

So, what I'm gathering is that this is a fake and that it is ok to smash it up and take it to the dump. We live in a rural area, and I do not think anyone will want to bother taking it apart and taking it home.

Here is the photo of the inside someone requested. I can't find a serial number anywhere.

[Linked Image]
mummy 3 yeti
Posted By: PianoWorksATL

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 02:45 PM

It's not a Steinway and certainly doesn't look like a promising piano in other ways. Say goodbye to it.
Posted By: PhilipInChina

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 02:57 PM

Rural are? Does anyone have a wood burning stove ?
Posted By: tend to rush

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 03:34 PM

If you're seriously planning to destroy it, I think you'll need to find a (safe) way to loosen the strings, first.

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by tend to rush
If you're seriously planning to destroy it, I think you'll need to find a (safe) way to loosen the strings, first.

Nah, put it out in a field one night after a rain, set it up and pour some naphtha across the soundboard, stand back and light it off !!

( oh, yeah, send us the video !)
Posted By: P W Grey

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 11:25 PM

LOVE that kind of talk! Let 'er rip!

Pwg

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 11:26 PM

LOVE that kind of talk! Let 'er rip!

Pwg

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/18/19 11:27 PM

Before doing so though, you might want to remove the electronic keyboard that is in there.

Pwg
Posted By: Eric Gloo

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/19/19 12:38 AM

It looks like it's been restrung. It might not be horrible. Or not as horrible as it used to be. smile

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/19/19 02:55 AM

Ha ha. OK, well if we weren't in a fire risk area, you would have a YouTube video. Thank you so much for all of your help!!
Posted By: Lady Bird

Re: Steinway--can someone identify this piano? - 05/19/19 04:44 PM

If it plays and gives someone some joy just give it away.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums