Piano World Home Page

The Yamaha Chrome

Posted By: Rich Galassini

The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 11:46 AM

Good morning,

I had a client order a Yamaha C2x in the limited edition "Chrome" style. Yamaha has offered this as an option since 2008. In case you have not seen one yet, I took a few terrible photos (I apoligize in advance for my bad photography skills):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you are within striking distance of out King of Prussia showroom, please stop by. It will be here for a few weeks.

Cheers,
Posted By: j&j

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 01:26 PM

Hi Rich,
Thanks for posting the pictures. I’m far away from your area so can’t casually stop by 😢. I’ve seen pictures of the C2X chrome before at my local Yamaha dealer and the Yamaha online site. For its size, I really like the C2X. I think the chrome feature can be attractive, but wonder if it’s worth the extra money?
I just wonder if there’s a big “chrome trim” contingent among acoustic smaller grand buyers?
What do you think? Is there any difference other than the color?
Posted By: Rickster

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 01:34 PM

Looks neat! Different for sure.

Personally, I like the original gold color paint on the plate. It is amazing to me how well the gold paint on the plate of my 1978 Yamaha C7 has held up. When I bought the piano several years ago, I thought the piano had been rebuild and the plate re-painted. When Sally Phillips came by to do some tuning, regulation and voicing, she informed me that the piano had not been rebuilt and was all original, albeit in great condition for its age.

My take on that is that Yamaha uses very high quality materials to begin with, which apparently lasts a long time.

I'm sure your client/customer will be happy for many years, Rich.

Rick
Posted By: Learux

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 01:56 PM

I love the way that looks, If I ever buy a new piano and it has that option I would take it.
Posted By: jeffscot

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 01:58 PM

I like the looks of the plate better than Steinways sterling edition.

It is odd Yamaha only offers it on the C2X.
Guess their marketing department thinks the small grand buyers are more interested in aesthetics. wink

Buyer too busy to take delivery for a few weeks!?
Appreciate the pics, Rich.
Posted By: Grandman

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 03:22 PM

Great pics, Rich. In the second picture, I don't see the usual red felt behind the stretcher. Is this a change with the chrome edition?
Posted By: Skjalg

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 04:17 PM

In my opinion it looks very cool. It matches modern interior somewhat better than the all traditional gold. But an important detail, how do the pedals look?
Posted By: BruceD

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 05:16 PM

Too cool for me; I prefer the warmer glow of gold!

Regards,

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grandman
Great pics, Rich. In the second picture, I don't see the usual red felt behind the stretcher. Is this a change with the chrome edition?

You are right! Frankly, I had not yet noticed that, even though I have seen a few of the Chrome grands. Thank you for the keen eye. This must be a part of the Chrome design. I had noticed that the plate dressing felt was also the same dark hue. It does look better with this color frame than the red would.

Originally Posted by jeffscot
I like the looks of the plate better than Steinways sterling edition.

Me too, jeffscot. The one thing i wish Yamaha would do is to make a bigger splash when they do something cool like this. I think the Sterling came out in 2013-ish? Well, Yamaha has had this option available for years longer and I think it is prettier, they just don't have the marketing panache that S&S has ALWAYS had, IMHO.

Originally Posted by Skjalg
In my opinion it looks very cool. It matches modern interior somewhat better than the all traditional gold. But an important detail, how do the pedals look?

Here ya go!

[Linked Image]

Posted By: johnstaf

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 06:56 PM

This looks nice -especially with the black felt. It looks understated and functional, and a lot nicer than some competitors' attempts.
Posted By: Grandman

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

You are right! Frankly, I had not yet noticed that, even though I have seen a few of the Chrome grands. Thank you for the keen eye. This must be a part of the Chrome design. I had noticed that the plate dressing felt was also the same dark hue. It does look better with this color frame than the red would.

Rich, there also appears to be no felt to cover the gap between the stretcher and the plate. Is this also a change?

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 07:13 PM

Rich, there also appears to be no felt to cover the gap between the stretcher and the plate. Is this also a change?

No, it is there Grandman. It is just very dark and likely blends in with the stretcher in the photos.
Posted By: Sam S

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 09:49 PM

Very striking...

In the second photo, the natural keys don't look very white - could be the photo or the contrast with the plate? In the closeup of the keys they do look white.

Sam

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 11:43 PM

Slightly OT sorry. The finish on the plate of my C3 is more copper colored than gold. Are the the C’s all copper color plates or standard gold? The copper color looks quite striking but doesn’t seem typical for other brands. Does anybody know or did I get the weird piano? Still love it and it’s quite striking.

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/22/19 11:58 PM

So seeing the Yamaha videos for voicing and regulation show most of their grands have the copperish plate. Maybe the CFs and S series might use a different plate design and have the gold colored plate, but probably the Cx’s still use vacuum casting and that’s the copper color?
I’m sure one of our experts can chime in. Still somewhat OT. Sorry.
Posted By: BDB

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/23/19 12:37 AM

They are just different bronzing compounds in the finish. It has nothing to do with the plate. I believe the more reddish color is something like Antique Gold, while the more yellowish is Bright Gold, but there is no guaranty that all finish manufacturers use the same names.
Posted By: backto_study_piano

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/23/19 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by j&j
Slightly OT sorry. The finish on the plate of my C3 is more copper colored than gold. Are the the C’s all copper color plates or standard gold? The copper color looks quite striking but doesn’t seem typical for other brands. Does anybody know or did I get the weird piano? Still love it and it’s quite striking.

My previous piano, a Schimmel C182 had a very copper coloured plate, the Grotrian is a significantly lighter gold.
Posted By: jeffscot

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/23/19 01:56 PM

Rich and Hugh, did a short vid on the Yamaha C2X chrome as well.
Hugh is apparently a Star Trek fan. laugh

Posted By: BruceD

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/23/19 03:06 PM

[...]

Great video, Rich! The piano sounds wonderful.

Regards,
Posted By: GC13

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/23/19 03:08 PM

I do like the Yamaha color of the plate better than any other I've seen, especially Steinway's version. I think it's the combination of the color of the plate, the strings, and the soundboard. The Yamaha version seems to make a nicer color palette. Some of the other version just seem to clash a little in my opinion.
Posted By: Kurtmen

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/25/19 12:15 AM

It is very nice, I agree GC13 much nicer than the Steinway's version.
Thank you for sharing.

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/25/19 02:38 PM

I still think we should have used a theremin. wink

Re: The Yamaha Chrome - 04/25/19 07:40 PM

If you get a theremin, you’ll just have to post a video. Theremins are truly nerdy and cool.😁
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums