Piano World Home Page

Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs

Posted By: Dan1983

Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/21/19 01:39 AM

Only reason considering is because it’s $1300. Is this a deal breaker or more of a cosmetic issue?
Pics below.

[img]https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/968642656664561/?search_query=inventory_management[/img]
Posted By: P W Grey

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/21/19 02:12 AM

Nothing seen.

Pwg

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/21/19 02:27 AM

Sorry I thought posting the web link would bring the pics up.

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/21/19 09:44 AM

piano pics

This one works better to look at pics.

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/21/19 06:30 PM

Assuming that they ARE structurally sound (this all depends on HOW they were "repaired"), should be a "sound" deal. You should have it carefully inspected ahead of purchase to make sure though. There might be other issues not known.

No harm in attempting to negotiate, but inspection by a qualified pro is paramount (unless you like to gamble).

Pwg

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/21/19 10:21 PM

This is how it was repaired.

Leg where repaired in 2012 by a local carpenter that was recommended by the piano tuner we got hooked up with when the piano was transported here.

They are repaired with glue and dowels through the back of the leg perpendicular to the split. It’s been moved in the house twice since then, with no problems. The joint is strong, but needs cosmetic work to be perfect.

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/22/19 04:13 PM

That's how I have done it also. Good. To check the interior of the instrument you need a qualified pro. If a Registered Piano Technician is available in your area that would be a good place to start.

A good furniture touch up person should be able to make the leg repairs almost invisible.

Pwg
Posted By: Wry Guy

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/23/19 12:01 AM

The legs are pretty much irrelevant to the piano's function other than aesthetics, and it sounds as if they have been adequately repaired.

My 2¢: if the piano's vitals all check out in good condition(keys, strings, action, soundboard, frame etc.), and you like the feel and sound of the instrument after playing on it for a while, I'd pounce on this.

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/24/19 11:13 AM

Thanks again for your thoughts everyone. I have a piano tech checking it out this Monday.

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/24/19 12:44 PM

Report back with findings.

Pwg

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/25/19 11:14 AM

When a tech typically evaluates a piano, how many tuning pins do they check for looseness? All of them? Just curious how they determine if pinblock is in good condition.
Posted By: Rich Galassini

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/25/19 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1983
When a tech typically evaluates a piano, how many tuning pins do they check for looseness? All of them? Just curious how they determine if pinblock is in good condition.

No. They will check a few in each register, but they are looking for consistency throughout. Finding inconsistency would make them look closer.

Good luck,

Re: Charles Walter with repaired fractured legs - 04/29/19 11:35 PM

I posted a second thread regarding condition of piano and my other option for anyone following. Titled Dilemma—1989 Charles Walter or 2007 Essex EUP116
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums