Piano World Home Page

Baldwin

Posted By: Retsacnal

Baldwin - 02/09/19 06:11 AM

I mentioned in another thread that the PTG has released the list of institute classes for this year's national convention. There's going to be a session on Baldwins!

I think that as Steinway continues their price-inflating antics, that more and more people are going to realize the value that the Baldwin Artist models hold.
Posted By: Rickster

Re: Baldwin - 02/09/19 02:59 PM

I like Baldwins too, Retsacnal. Of course, I would assume the PTG would include the newer Baldwins from China? Or, maybe not. There are likely still enough American (Mexican?:-) made Baldwins still around to justify a class on the specific model, I suppose.

On the other hand, my dabbler method of learning is usually trial and error (after a bit of prerequisite research). Not the best teaching method, but a great learning model and you don't soon forget what you learned. smile

On the other, other, hand, ( smile ) I only work on my own pianos and therefore have only myself to blame if something goes wrong. smile

Rick
Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT

Re: Baldwin - 02/09/19 03:19 PM

If you are referring to the class presented by Mr. Bill Shull, RPT; I think the emphasis will be on history from start to post WW2. Bill is the finest piano historian I know of.

Re: Baldwin - 02/09/19 03:50 PM

Yes, I think history is the emphasis, but the title is "Baldwin History and Service." It also says it will survey the designs and models too (which, of course, could also be considered historical!).

Anyway, it sounds like an interesting session.
Posted By: NobleHouse

Re: Baldwin - 02/09/19 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Yes, I think history is the emphasis, but the title is "Baldwin History and Service." It also says it will survey the designs and models too (which, of course, could also be considered historical!).

Anyway, it sounds like an interesting session.

I have always enjoyed the "classic" Baldwin concert grands. I love their sound.
Posted By: Chernobieff Piano

Re: Baldwin - 02/10/19 02:41 AM

Steinways come through my shop often, Baldwins not as much. I'm working on a Baldwin L at the moment, and it's just such a well made piano with a great sound. If I had to chose between the two after 40 years of being around each. I'd choose a Baldwin as my personal piano.
-chris
Posted By: Carey

Re: Baldwin - 02/10/19 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
Steinways come through my shop often, Baldwins not as much. I'm working on a Baldwin L at the moment, and it's just such a well made piano with a great sound. If I had to chose between the two after 40 years of being around each. I'd choose a Baldwin as my personal piano.
-chris

thumb thumb thumb

Re: Baldwin - 02/10/19 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Carey
-chris

thumb thumb thumb

thumb

Re: Baldwin - 02/10/19 03:07 PM

-chris

thumb thumb thumb

thumb

thumb
Posted By: JohnSprung

Re: Baldwin - 02/11/19 07:47 PM

Here on the West coast, Living Pianos in Santa Ana is the place to go for Baldwins.
Posted By: GC13

Re: Baldwin - 02/11/19 08:17 PM

I played a nice little 1963 Baldwin L (6'3") over the weekend in a showroom. I played on one of these from that era in a recording studio for many years. I've always liked the L. To me it has the bass of a 7' piano. The cabinet was pretty tattered, but it wasn't in bad shape at all. It played pretty well. I think a little regulation and voicing would have brought it a long, long way. I'm sure it would be a candidate for rebuild, but they are only asking about $6000.00 for it. A couple of isles over was a 1920's S&S A3 (6'4"). Overall, I'd rate them in similar condition. They are asking about $35k for the A3. At that price difference, I'd go for the Baldwin L over the S&S A3 any day.
Posted By: Chernobieff Piano

Re: Baldwin - 02/11/19 11:12 PM

Exactly, that price difference is just branding, not a reflection of being a better piano. My client got his L for $1,000 and is having me restore it. Still coming way under a Steinway in price. Plus, I can comfortably replace the decal with no worries of recourse.

Should be a lot of great Baldwin deals out there.

Re: Baldwin - 02/11/19 11:52 PM

Should be a lot of great Baldwin deals out there.

thumb

On first pass I read "...lot of great Baldwin decals out there! laugh ha

But to the sentiment expressed, yeah, I think the Artist models represent tremendous value. YMMV, and, of course, have any specimen that you're interested in inspected before purchase.
Posted By: martin snow

Re: Baldwin - 02/12/19 12:15 AM

In 1984 we purchased 60 Baldwin pianos here at Boston University/Music, 30 Hamilton model uprights and 30 grands of which 9 are the SD 10 Concert grand, a bunch of the other grand models so I am well familiar with them all. They have been absolute workhorses and all now have a million miles on them and yes after 35 years some of the 9' pianos have been demoted from Performance pianos to lesser studios but still serviceable.
Posted By: Carey

Re: Baldwin - 02/12/19 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by martin snow
In 1984 we purchased 60 Baldwin pianos here at Boston University/Music, 30 Hamilton model uprights and 30 grands of which 9 are the SD 10 Concert grand, a bunch of the other grand models so I am well familiar with them all. They have been absolute workhorses and all now have a million miles on them and yes after 35 years some of the 9' pianos have been demoted from Performance pianos to lesser studios but still serviceable.
That is one heck of a great run - and speaks volumes about the basic quality of those instruments. So disappointed that they are no longer being built.

Re: Baldwin - 02/12/19 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by martin snow
That is one heck of a great run - and speaks volumes about the basic quality of those instruments. So disappointed that they are no longer being built.

I know of a 1972 SD 10 that has had pretty heavy use, but still plays and sounds amazing. They did have their quality issues for a period of time. I did play a couple of sour apples built in the late 1980's and early 1990's. But I had both of those regulated and voiced by a master technician and they really came alive.

I agree! It's so sad that those great Baldwins are no longer made.
Posted By: Dr. Rogers

Re: Baldwin - 02/13/19 01:11 PM

Just wanted to say that I absolutely love my Baldwin SD-10. Originally constructed in 1989, Renner action completely rebuilt in 2015. I love "her" so much that I gave her a name. My students all love her as well.

I've never played a Baldwin grand that I didn't like. I can't say the same about another famous American maker. In the time and place I grew up in, Baldwins were THE high-end piano - I never saw or played a piano from that other maker except for (ironically) in Cincinnati. My teacher had a Baldwin. I guess the "Baldwin sound" became synonymous with the sound of a good piano in my youth, and that sticks with me til this day.

Now, my ideal studio setup would be to have a nice Steinway D (or perhaps B) sitting alongside my Baldwin SD-10, thus having the best of both worlds. Somehow I can't convince my wife that I need the Steinway as well as the Baldwin...

Re: Baldwin - 02/13/19 02:50 PM

That would be a nice setup. Keep working on that. Maybe you'll have a breakthrough with her.
Posted By: Lady Bird

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 05:37 AM

Retsacnal, I have never played a Baldwin or an M&H .Have you got a
picture of your Baldwin piano ? It would be great to see !
I have this book about pianos and of course it mentions Baldwin .
One day we will vacation in the States and then I intend to try these
pianos.
Posted By: j&j

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 02:50 PM

I love the sound of American made Baldwin grands, especially the larger ones. Warm yet powerful. Very responsive. I haven’t played the Chinese made Baldwin’s. I know I’m an old fuddy duddy and I should probably get a stern lecture from Norbert but a Chinese made Baldwin seems like a sacrilege.

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by j&j
I love the sound of American made Baldwin grands, especially the larger ones. Warm yet powerful. Very responsive. I haven’t played the Chinese made Baldwin’s. I know I’m an old fuddy duddy and I should probably get a stern lecture from Norbert but a Chinese made Baldwin seems like a sacrilege.

I came across a pretty good deal on a later model Baldwin R (226/Art-Case/Queen-Ann) from around 1998/99. And, I have enjoyed it a lot. To be only 5'8", the low bass sounds pretty rich. Not like an L or SF-10 or SD-10 by any means, but still pretty deep and rich for a 5'8" baby grand.

It plays well and sounds well to my untrained hands and ears (in spite of the Mexican action smile ). I've had several people to offer to buy it from me, but my late wife, Barbara, liked the piano and said she didn't want me to sell it. So, it's a keeper for that reason, if nothing else.

Rick

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jolly

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 04:03 PM

A M is a surprisingly good small grand.

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 05:11 PM

Lovely looking piano Rickster. It is also good to see Barbara's piano

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 05:15 PM

Rickster - again condolences on your loss of your wonderful wife and of course you should keep the piano as she wished. Thank you for sharing that your more recent Baldwin sounds really nice and that could move me out of my silly ways. Likely I’ll never get to own another Baldwin old or new.
Posted By: johnstaf

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Bird

Indeed. It's lovely to see such a special instrument.
Posted By: P3T3R

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 07:10 PM

Rickster,

It could be a trick of the camera angle or photographic distortion, but the fall-board on that piano looks unusually tall. Is it like that in real life?

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 07:13 PM

Indeed! thumb

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rickster
my late wife, Barbara, liked the piano.... So, it's a keeper for that reason, if nothing else.

No better reason than that! I have a similar sentimental attachment to my Baldwin M. I strongly suspect that I'll get another piano at some point, but I will never let this one go. And no reason to anyway, because it's a pretty nice piano.

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 07:31 PM

Retsacnal, I have never played a Baldwin or an M&H .Have you got a
picture of your Baldwin piano ? It would be great to see !

There's a picture of it in one of my earliest posts:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ome-and-thanks-everyone.html#Post2161515

There are some others. People used to do holiday threads in which we'd post pictures with decorations, but those aren't as easy to find.

I have this book about pianos and of course it mentions Baldwin .
One day we will vacation in the States and then I intend to try these
pianos.

Be careful: you might discover you can't live without one! wink

(Don't tell anyone I said this --> )

There are many nice piano brands out there (of course).

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 07:42 PM

How would you describe the Baldwin tone ? Warm is usually how American pianos are described. Is possible to compair to other well known pianos?
It would be nice if more posted pictures of Baldwin pianos. I think I once saw a picture of a piano room with a Baldwin .I cannot really
remember? It could have been Retsacnal.

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 07:45 PM

Oh yes there it is ,wonderful?

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 08:04 PM

I saw your question at the bottom of page 1, and answered, "I just posted a link above." Then that posted on page 2, and I saw your comment above... crazy

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 10:02 PM

Bruce Hornsby was a Baldwin artist. You could download some of his older recordings. And of course there’s Liberace!

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 10:07 PM

LivingPianos has several Baldwin’s in stock. If you click on the link the owner and resident pianist plays the piano and talks about the sound.

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by P3T3R
Rickster,

It could be a trick of the camera angle or photographic distortion, but the fall-board on that piano looks unusually tall. Is it like that in real life?

Not aware of any camera trick or photo-shop or distortion on/in that photo. It could be the camera angle, I suppose. Here are a couple more pics. The fall-board does have the rectangular/squared off front edge, (as does the front side of the wood cabinet) and not the curved front edge like the Yamahas and many other brands of pianos.

I took these pictures after I had just had the piano delivered and had not cleaned it up well yet. You can see a lot of dust on lyre.

Rick

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Music Me

Re: Baldwin - 02/19/19 11:11 PM

I would have loved to have purchased a new Baldwin Grand if they had still been made here in the USA. My very first piano was a Baldwin spinet. Iy had beautiful tone and kept its tune really well.

Re: Baldwin - 02/20/19 12:41 AM

Listening to that youtube clip all I can say amazing sound .Yes I would say warm tone ,with a sparkling treble as well .
To me I would say clarity as well but never" cold ".
No wonder people love these pianos !
Retsacnal ,you went on a real hunt to find your wonderful piano.
Enjoyed reading it all .There is nothing quite as unique as seaching
for a piano .Its almost like being slightly high for weeks !
Then their were people like Apple and Marty who I used to read all
those months when I was on my search .I agree one should really
treasure those Baldwins .
As to your "Hidy Hole" statement, well there is always" better ",don't tell me ,I know !!!!
Thanks enjoyed reading and listening ! Sometimes I dream about writing a book about pianos, as though the world needs another book about pianos!
Posted By: BillM

Re: Baldwin - 02/20/19 12:56 AM

I am also the proud owner of an American made Baldwin. I looked at quite a few pianos before deciding that the Baldwin R was the model for me. I played 4 or 5 before purchasing the 2000 model shown below. They all sounded great to me, but I really liked the satin mahogany finish on this one. If you are interested in how it sounds there are several recent videos on my YouTube channel linked in my signature.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: astrotoy

Re: Baldwin - 02/20/19 01:55 AM

We only had a chance to play a Baldwin one time. But it was a memorable experience.

In 1987 we stopped in Connecticut to drop off our 8 year old (she just turned 40 last month!) at my parents home on our way to the Salzburg Festival (our first and only time there). While visiting, my brother ask me whether I would like to visit one of their friends, Dave and Iola Brubeck at their home, which was not far away. My brother and his then wife got to know the Brubecks through their son Chris and his then wife because they were in the same Lamaze class. We stopped by the Brubeck's home and Dave and Iola were extremely gracious, and Dave showed us the composition he was working on for the Pope's visit to the US and the Mass he would give later that year in the Giants' ball park near San Francisco. He also invited my wife to play his Baldwin grand. Dave didn't play for us, but my wife got to play some Chopin which was quite a thrill. We stayed much of the afternoon at the Brubecks as Dave went through the details of his compositional techniques for the pieces he was composing. Most of you know the Dave studied with the great French composer Darius Milhaud at Mills College in Oakland, CA and named his first son after Milhaud.

I saw a link to a youtube on another thread where a young man was playing Brubeck's piano which was at a music store. I don't know whether it was the same one that was in his home over 30 years ago.

Re: Baldwin - 02/20/19 04:06 AM

Sorry it was NOT a question. The question mark was not
meant, it was a MISTAKE. It was supposed to be an exclamation
mark .

Re: Baldwin - 02/20/19 04:26 AM

Looking at all these beautiful grands.I must not fantasize! All I need is playing another piano and feeling it is one I cannot live without.
Posted By: KurtZ

Re: Baldwin - 02/20/19 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by astrotoy
We only had a chance to play a Baldwin one time. But it was a memorable experience.

I Most of you know the Dave studied with the great French composer Darius Milhaud at Mills College in Oakland, CA and named his first son after Milhaud.

My father, a jazz fan, gave me the middle name Darius after Dave's son. If you don't live in the Muslim world Darius is not a common name and I've only met 2 other Dariuses IRL. Besides Milhaud and Brubeck, Hootie of Hootie and the Blowfish was born as Darius Rucker. The original Darius, Darius the Great, was the ruler of pre-islamic Iran in about 500 BC when its territory was at its greates extent from northeastern Africa, as far north as Pakistan and as far east as north western India.

Kurt
Posted By: BDB

Re: Baldwin - 02/20/19 05:21 AM

Iola told me that if their first child had been a girl, she would have been named Madeleine, for Madeleine Milhaud.

Re: Baldwin - 02/20/19 02:28 PM

How would you describe the Baldwin tone ? Warm is usually how American pianos are described. Is possible to compair to other well known pianos?
It would be nice if more posted pictures of Baldwin pianos. I think I once saw a picture of a piano room with a Baldwin .I cannot really

To me, the classic American Baldwin (built in the USA) sound has similarities to the Steinway and Mason & Hamlin sounds falling in the category of the American sound. There's an orchestral fullness to the sound -- powerful, rich in overtones, warm while having a brightness and clarity to it -- across the full dynamic range of the piano. The Baldwin Artist and Concert grand "sound" was consistent throughout the manufacturing of the US build instruments until the 1960's. At the time, Baldwin owned C. Bechstein. They tweaked the design of the Concert Grand and Semi-Concert Grand which became the SD-10 and SF-10 models, reportedly influenced by (or in collaboration with) the C. Bechstein team. The vertical hitch pin was added to the plate which allows the downbearing of each string to be adjusted individually. They switched over to a Renner action and hammers as well. Some of these ideas were then incorporated into the smaller artist grands. The resulting sound maintained the fullness, power, and warmth of the classic American sound, but brought an added level of bell-like clarity to the sound found in many European pianos.

The Baldwin sound has it's own distinct tonal characteristics in all registers that work very well together. The smaller pianos maintained a very powerful, growling bass, even at shorter lengths. Baldwin really gave Steinway a run for the money for many years since they rivaled the Steinway sound at a much lower price point. Their spinet, console, and studio pianos were excellent too, and the tonal characteristics of the grands really carried over to the upright line. It's really very sad that these pianos are no longer being built.

Re: Baldwin - 02/20/19 02:29 PM

.... We stayed much of the afternoon at the Brubecks as Dave went through the details of his compositional techniques for the pieces he was composing. ....

Now that would make an interesting thread. Do you remember much of what he said?
Posted By: astrotoy

Re: Baldwin - 02/21/19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by JohnSprung
.... We stayed much of the afternoon at the Brubecks as Dave went through the details of his compositional techniques for the pieces he was composing. ....

Now that would make an interesting thread. Do you remember much of what he said?

It was 32 years ago and unfortunately there were no iphones to capture what Dave showed us. At 73 today, my memory is not as sharp as it was then.

However, I do remember some of the things that Dave showed and played for us. He showed us some of the written music he had composed, showing us some of the techniques he used, like augmentation, diminution, inversion, I think some counterpoint - that is a bit vague in my memory. He played, on a small tape recorder, a small group of singers he had hired to sing some of the pieces that he had written, so he could hear what they sounded like. Since this was for a mass, there was a lot of four part singing in the pieces.

Not sure whether the mass was recorded (it happened on September 18th, 1987 at Candlestick Park with Pope John Paul II to 70,000 people, just south of San Francisco.)

Re: Baldwin - 02/21/19 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by GC13

To me, the classic American Baldwin (built in the USA) sound has similarities to the Steinway and Mason & Hamlin sounds falling in the category of the American sound. There's an orchestral fullness to the sound -- powerful, rich in overtones, warm while having a brightness and clarity to it -- across the full dynamic range of the piano. The Baldwin Artist and Concert grand "sound" was consistent throughout the manufacturing of the US build instruments until the 1960's. At the time, Baldwin owned C. Bechstein. They tweaked the design of the Concert Grand and Semi-Concert Grand which became the SD-10 and SF-10 models, reportedly influenced by (or in collaboration with) the C. Bechstein team. The vertical hitch pin was added to the plate which allows the downbearing of each string to be adjusted individually. They switched over to a Renner action and hammers as well. Some of these ideas were then incorporated into the smaller artist grands. The resulting sound maintained the fullness, power, and warmth of the classic American sound, but brought an added level of bell-like clarity to the sound found in many European pianos.

The Baldwin sound has it's own distinct tonal characteristics in all registers that work very well together. The smaller pianos maintained a very powerful, growling bass, even at shorter lengths. Baldwin really gave Steinway a run for the money for many years since they rivaled the Steinway sound at a much lower price point. Their spinet, console, and studio pianos were excellent too, and the tonal characteristics of the grands really carried over to the upright line. It's really very sad that these pianos are no longer being built.

I had no idea the history of the piano went so far back in the US .
Apparently the first piano was made there by a German immigrant by the name of Johann Behrent in 1775 in Philadelphia .Albrecht was the first important piano maker from about 1790 .
In the early 19th century there was Babcock and of course Chickering .
In the late 19th century there was Steinways, Knabe ,M&H ,and Baldwin who were won the Grand Prix at the 1900 Paris Exposition.
(above comes from THE PIANO a book based on The New Grove ))1988 .

Re: Baldwin - 02/21/19 08:09 AM

I saw your question at the bottom of page 1, and answered, "I just posted a link above." Then that posted on page 2, and I saw your comment above... crazy

It was a typo (no question mark intended )I use a small cell phone and missed the exclamation mark .I listened to the Baldwin in Rick Jones piano store, in your link .

Re: Baldwin - 02/25/19 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by BillM
I am also the proud owner of an American made Baldwin. I looked at quite a few pianos before deciding that the Baldwin R was the model for me. I played 4 or 5 before purchasing the 2000 model shown below. They all sounded great to me, but I really liked the satin mahogany finish on this one. If you are interested in how it sounds there are several recent videos on my YouTube channel linked in my signature.

[Linked Image]

Handsome piano and nice setting, Bill! I also enjoyed your Autumn Leaves video.

Re: Baldwin - 02/26/19 06:47 AM

Out of curiosity I listened to "I saw mama kissing Santa Claus "

Bill M Yes very good ! You could sing and and play in a restaurant. Perhaps you do? Otherwise get that repetoire sorted out !!!
The piano sounds lovely. I am getting to know how Baldwin sounds!
On Craigslist in Vancouver someone is selling a Baldwin and a Chickering grand at the moment.

Re: Baldwin - 02/27/19 03:47 AM

On Craigslist in Vancouver someone is selling a Baldwin and a Chickering grand at the moment.

If this SF 10 passed an inspection--and was appealing to a buyer--it would be a pretty good score at that price (converted to USD) in my area. And, of course, it's their asking price. It might sell for even less.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/msg/d/sooke-baldwin-7-sf-10-artistic-grand/6817153021.html

[Linked Image]

Re: Baldwin - 02/27/19 06:05 AM

I was completely confused that such a piano would go for such a
low price and it looks great ?

Re: Baldwin - 02/27/19 12:38 PM

If this SF 10 passed an inspection--and was appealing to a buyer--it would be a pretty good score at that price (converted to USD) in my area. And, of course, it's their asking price. It might sell for even less.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/msg/d/sooke-baldwin-7-sf-10-artistic-grand/6817153021.html

[Linked Image]

Yes, on the surface this would be an excellent price!

Re: Baldwin - 02/27/19 05:41 PM

NobleHouse,
No one has tried it but there are always people who will need or wish to get rid of a large piano .
It could be an heirloom and they do not play ? Who knows till one has tried it ?

Re: Baldwin - 02/27/19 06:12 PM

I'd love to get my hands on a good SF-10 at a price like that -- if I weren't 1,000s of miles away and didn't already own a S&S Model B.

Re: Baldwin - 02/27/19 08:29 PM

I've been watching SF10s for a long time, sort of hoping to find a non-black one, but they are apparently rare. Generally walnut-finished specimens turn out to be an older model F (which can be nice in its own right, but not what I'm looking for). Anyway, between Mrs. Retsacnal's two-year cancer battle, and grieving since her passing, I haven't been aggressively looking, but do keep an eye out.

Rich D has come across a couple and pointed me towards them (thanks). One promising specimen last summer was over in Minneapolis. They wanted 18k for it, and their tech raved about it. I thought that was a bit high, but if it had checked out I'd have probably bought it. Since it was summer, my girls and I were getting ready to road-trip over there to see it when the sellers went silent. The tech said that they decided not to sell it after all... frown

Anyway, yeah, assuming the one above passed a tech inspection, and the touch and tone was appealing to a buyer, I think it would be a pretty good price for an SF-10.

Re: Baldwin - 02/27/19 09:37 PM

If it's near enough for BruceD, he could try it out and let everyone know if he thinks its worth a tech inspection.
Of course for anyone across our borders there would be more problems.
Sorry Bruce for me suggesting .I would have to take a long ferry ride and a drive .

Re: Baldwin - 02/27/19 11:35 PM

NobleHouse,
No one has tried it but there are always people who will need or wish to get rid of a large piano .
It could be an heirloom and they do not play ? Who knows till one has tried it ?

I totally agree with you.
Posted By: Savannah Renee

Re: Baldwin - 02/28/19 06:14 PM

Perhaps someone could help me. My wife and I have been looking for a 5'-6' grand for about a year, preferably less than 5'5". She has been playing a smaller Yamaha upright for 30 years and we finally have the room and wherewithal to get the baby grand.

She looked at a neighbor's Baldwin Model M yesterday and came away impressed. It has been played and tuned routinely. She has contacted the regular tuner about the condition and other information but has not heard back. Anyway, by means of the serial number, the piano was built in 1968 and all my research indicates it is quite a nice quality instrument.

There are two things that the research does not provide any information on:

1) unlike the Yamaha, there is no section that hinges down to cover the keys. (OK. I don't even qualify to call myself a rank amateur, but this seemed odd.) Is this what is referred to as the fall board? Is this something that Baldwin did? Any other information?

2) it is a Victor Borge Signature. Does this have any significance (other than he was quite a character and artist)? Does it tell anyone anything of significance? Good or bad?

Re: Baldwin - 02/28/19 07:00 PM

I'm a little biased, because I have a Baldwin M myself, but the consensus around here (usually) is that the M is quite a nice design, and one of the best smaller pianos (but that is exactly why I sought one out).

If you can squeeze in 5'8", the R is a nice model too.

Re. your first question, yes, what you are describing is the fall board. Apparently Baldwin made some streamlined versions of the M that did not have fall boards. My understanding is that at their core these retain all the M design elements, but saved some on the casework in order to reduce cost. Some people use cloth dust covers over the keys in lieu of closing the fall board (not just on these).

Re. your second question, do you mean that Victor Borge signed the piano in question? Or that it's a Victor Borge Signature model? I'm not familiar with the latter, but in either case, it's not likely to have much significance in terms of its value (condition will determine that).

Re: Baldwin - 02/28/19 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Savannah Renee
Perhaps someone could help me. My wife and I have been looking for a 5'-6' grand for about a year, preferably less than 5'5". She has been playing a smaller Yamaha upright for 30 years and we finally have the room and wherewithal to get the baby grand.

She looked at a neighbor's Baldwin Model M yesterday and came away impressed. It has been played and tuned routinely. She has contacted the regular tuner about the condition and other information but has not heard back. Anyway, by means of the serial number, the piano was built in 1968 and all my research indicates it is quite a nice quality instrument.

There are two things that the research does not provide any information on:

1) unlike the Yamaha, there is no section that hinges down to cover the keys. (OK. I don't even qualify to call myself a rank amateur, but this seemed odd.) Is this what is referred to as the fall board? Is this something that Baldwin did? Any other information?

2) it is a Victor Borge Signature. Does this have any significance (other than he was quite a character and artist)? Does it tell anyone anything of significance? Good or bad?

I'm a little biased, because I have a Baldwin M myself, but the consensus around here (usually) is that the M is quite a nice design, and one of the best smaller pianos (but that is exactly why I sought one out).

If you can squeeze in 5'8", the R is a nice model too.

Re. your first question, yes, what you are describing is the fall board. Apparently Baldwin made some streamlined versions of the M that did not have fall boards. My understanding is that at their core these retain all the M design elements, but saved some on the casework in order to reduce cost. Some people use cloth dust covers over the keys in lieu of closing the fall board (not just on these).

Re. your second question, do you mean that Victor Borge signed the piano in question? Or that it's a Victor Borge Signature model? I'm not familiar with the latter, but in either case, it's not likely to have much significance in terms of its value (condition will determine that).

I can't contribute anything toward your questions. Retsacnal seems to have a handle on the 1st one. I've never seen a Baldwin without a closing Fallboard. I'd be interested to learn the answer to question #2 as well.

We always recommend having an independent technician check out any used piano before purchasing to look for any issues. I can say that all of the Baldwin grand piano models highly regarded. The pianos from the 1960's and 1970's are usually very nice. I've played nice M's, R's (5' 8"), and the L (6'3") is an extremely nice pianos.

Re: Baldwin - 02/28/19 10:35 PM

Perhaps the bench that originally came with it has a seat belt? ;-)

Re: Baldwin - 03/01/19 01:55 PM

Thank you Retsacnal. We have an appointment at 4 PM to review the piano with a tuner/technician to obtain a condition evaluation. The piano in question has been routinely tuned and casually played so i am hopeful their are no major issues that cannot be addressed without a full restoration. Thanks again.
PS. While I have not seen the signature, I am told it is an actual signature. We'll see.

Re: Baldwin - 03/01/19 02:13 PM

Thank you. We are hoping for ownership today provided the technician indicates there is nothing we can't manage from a repair/tune/tune up perspective.

Re: Baldwin - 03/01/19 05:47 PM

If this is the model I'm thinking of, I found an older thread in which they're discussed (including a picture):

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2354195/Re:_Odd_Baldwin.html

They were built in the 60's and called "contemporary."

An individual signature makes sense. I believe Victor Borge was known more for his humor than his playing, so a signature model wouldn't be likely, however it's not uncommon for notable folks to sign pianos that they've played (although it generally does not increase the value, IMO).

Re: Baldwin - 03/01/19 05:47 PM

btw, good idea to have it inspected (as always).

Re: Baldwin - 03/01/19 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Perhaps the bench that originally came with it has a seat belt? ;-)

thumb

Re: Baldwin - 03/01/19 11:06 PM

Well, we now own a Baldwin M. Our tuner/technician gave the instrument a clean bill of health other than she wants to "harden" a few of the hammers on the upper end to match the lower and middle tones. We will do this after the piano is in its new home for a few weeks.
Speaking as a neophyte, it is likely not unusual that our tuner/technician told us she was once an aspiring performer. From the looks of her large long fingered hands she appears to have at least that physical attribute for playing and listening to her put the piano through some paces there is no reason for me not to believe her. I tell you this because as some of you have pointed out, she was quite impressed at the quality and depth of the lower range. She said it was a bit unusual to have the bass richness in a piano of this size (5'3").

Thanks to everyone for their help and insights and especially Retsacnal.

As for the Victor Borge signature. it is an actual signature under a plastic cover with a mark indicating "29/70". I assume (or would like to believe) that this is #29 of the 70 he autographed. Seems plausible and pretty cool if it is.

Our house is a happy place. The search is over....at least for now.

Re: Baldwin - 03/01/19 11:32 PM

Well, we now own a Baldwin M. Our tuner/technician gave the instrument a clean bill of health other than she wants to "harden" a few of the hammers on the upper end to match the lower and middle tones. We will do this after the piano is in its new home for a few weeks.
Speaking as a neophyte, it is likely not unusual that our tuner/technician told us she was once an aspiring performer. From the looks of her large long fingered hands she appears to have at least that physical attribute for playing and listening to her put the piano through some paces there is no reason for me not to believe her. I tell you this because as some of you have pointed out, she was quite impressed at the quality and depth of the lower range. She said it was a bit unusual to have the bass richness in a piano of this size (5'3").

As for the Victor Borge signature. it is an actual signature under a plastic cover with a mark indicating "29/70". I assume (or would like to believe) that this is #29 of the 70 he autographed. Seems plausible and pretty cool if it is.

Congratulations on your new-to-you Baldwin M! And, I enjoyed reading about your piano tech and Victor Borge. I watched a TV Documentary on the life of Victor Borge. It was very interesting. He was a great classical pianist, but an even better comedian.. Music and laughter go well together. smile

Enjoy your Baldwin M!

Rick

Re: Baldwin - 03/01/19 11:57 PM

Congratulations on your new Baldwin M. Enjoy your new journey!

Re: Baldwin - 03/02/19 06:55 AM

Congratulations!
Glad I could help.
Welcome to the Baldwin M club. thumb

Re: Baldwin - 03/02/19 07:22 AM

Congratulations on your new piano! May it bring you many years of enjoyment!!
Posted By: jrcallan

Re: Baldwin - 03/02/19 11:01 AM

Enjoy. (I'm a little biased toward M's -- love mine from '98)
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums