Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 08/31/18 05:40 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Regards,
Posted By: prout

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 08/31/18 05:46 PM

Wonderful sound. Love it.
Posted By: BruceD

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 08/31/18 08:01 PM

I wonder how much it cost Chris Maene to build that one-off instrument and what his inspiration was to do so.

I guess we can presume that M. Lubimov will be making as much use of it as possible to promote both the instrument and the music for which that instrument might have a special affinity.

Regards,
Posted By: Learux

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 08/31/18 08:16 PM

Very cool, tx for posting.

Dang dude it gave me goosebumps.
Posted By: David-G

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 08/31/18 09:09 PM

Very interesting!
Posted By: BDB

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 08/31/18 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by BruceD
I wonder how much it cost Chris Maene to build that one-off instrument and what his inspiration was to do so.

Regards,

It is probably only the action which differs from a harpsichord or fortepiano, and that would not necessarily be significantly more expensive.
Posted By: swampwiz

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 09/01/18 04:12 AM

Interesting, but I can how the metal-harp pianoforte won the piano evolution competition.

Posted By: Maximillyan

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 09/01/18 11:25 AM

thanks, very interesting thing. A sound as a harpsichord only more slight soft, I'm think
Posted By: patH

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 09/01/18 12:07 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Just did a bit of browsing; apparently in classical music, there was a "louder is better" mentality in the late 18th century. Both tangent piano and clavichord fell into oblivion at this time.
Harpsichords are louder. And although you have no sliding dynamic, they have not died out. Not to mention the modern pianos, which blast any clavichord or tangent piano out of the room.

Is loud music the music appropriate for the industrial times?
Maybe noteworthy: The industrial revolution started in the late 18th century; at the same time, clavichord and tangent piano died out, and the harpsichord lost in popularity against the pianoforte. Coincidence?
Will quiet music become popular again, if all our cars will be electric, and loud factories will be a thing from the past?
Or is human evolution just demanding more and more loudness?

Only time will tell.
Posted By: prout

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 09/01/18 12:46 PM

patH: No, loud music is not appropriate for industrial times, but it is a product of industrial times.

I gave a lecture at university earlier this year, which included performing the same pieces (baroque) on portative organ, clavichord, harpsichord and modern piano.

The clavichord, in Bach's day, was the preferred instrument for solo performing, being an expressive instrument. The harpsichord was used in chamber ensembles because it was very loud.

Volume was not an issue in most places (salons) where solo music was played. They were made of stone, had no electric lights, refrigerators, cell phones, air conditioning, jet airplanes, trucks, cars, screaming kids... The ambient sound level was extremely low, so a clavichord sounds loud in that venue and a harpsichord too loud. The ear, like the eye, adjusts its range of sensitivity according to the conditions.

I know this from first hand experience. I gave a concert with my wife, a baroque singer, a few years ago in a small, live chapel. We started out doing French lute songs which I accompanied on clavichord. Then we shifted to harpsichord for a cantata. The audience gave an huge gasp when I played the first opening flourish. It literally assaulted the ears, much like going from a dark room suddenly into bright sunlight.

Posted By: David-G

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 09/01/18 11:03 PM

Here you can hear "La Mort de Marie Antoinette" by Dussek, played on a tangent piano. An interesting and unusual piece.
Posted By: DDobs

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 09/02/18 12:25 AM

I think that even the piano is moderate in power and volume compared to modern genres and instruments and how we experience them.
Posted By: RealPlayer

Re: Tangent piano played by Lubimov - 09/02/18 06:22 PM

If I remember correctly, C.P.E. Bach favored the clavichord, and the tangent piano, being rare, was sort of an anomaly. I wonder if he mentions them in his book on keyboard playing.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums