Piano World Home Page

Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D?

Posted By: RealPlayer

Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 04:40 AM

Hi...I watch the show with some regularity. I know the piano's a Steinway but the camera doesn't linger on it, and from the camera angle I can't figure out what size it is. Anyone know?
Posted By: GC13

Re: Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 01:04 PM

I've seen them use different pianos from time to time, but from what I've seen they've all been model B's. It looks like my own Model B. The shape (degree) of the S-curve is a little different, and the tail is much shorter than a D giving it a completely different profile. It's easiest to tell when the lid is open and one can see the plate. There are several give-aways other than the model letter stamped in the horn of the plate.

Mine
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/2739070.html

The Steinway on the Late Show
https://gifer.com/en/JYD1

Video of a Model D rebuilt by PianoCraft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3ZzyBobko
Posted By: Faiz

Re: Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 01:53 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

if we take a look at the plate, I will assume the black one is model C or D (I don't know what is that called but there is something spacing the tenor section strings which I only see on model C and D) and the white one is model B
am I right?

Re: Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 02:20 PM

It just doesn't have the rig
Originally Posted by Faiz
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

if we take a look at the plate, I will assume the black one is model C or D (I don't know what is that called but there is something spacing the tenor section strings which I only see on model C and D) and the white one is model B
am I right?

I really believe they are both model B's. Looking at full side profiles of the 2 pianos, they are the same. The black one is too short to be a D, and C's aren't sold or made by Steinway New York. Since Jon Batiste (the band leader on the Late Show) is a Steinway artist, there's a strong relationship between him, the show, and Steinway. Since Steinway probably provides the piano to the show, it would be a newer model. Since that would be Steinway NY, I doubt it would be a C.

That "spacing in the tenor" your are referring to is commonly called the "horn" in the plate.
Posted By: Faiz

Re: Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by GC13

That "spacing in the tenor" your are referring to is commonly called the "horn" in the plate.

Nice to learn something new, I finally know the name of it lol
Thanks
Posted By: BDB

Re: Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 03:17 PM

The white piano is a B, the other is a D. You can see that the removable diagonal bar starts farther back on the B.

Re: Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
The white piano is a B, the other is a D. You can see that the removable diagonal bar starts farther back on the B.

BDB, just curious,which picture are you looking at and what tells you the black one is a D? The one I see most often used on the show definitely looks like a B from the side profile.

Here's the one I'm looking at.
https://gifer.com/en/JYD1
Posted By: BDB

Re: Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 04:50 PM

The only ones I looked at were the ones appearing here, but the Gif is a D. The musicians in the back are on a riser, so if you compare their height to the length of the piano, it is definitely more than 7 feet.
Posted By: Dave Ferris

Re: Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 06:12 PM

That's nice ! Love the look of it on the rug. Did you post a picture of that before ? I must've missed it if you did. What year is that ?

Re: Colbert's Late Show: Steinway B or D? - 05/29/18 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

That's nice ! Love the look of it on the rug. Did you post a picture of that before ? I must've missed it if you did. What year is that ?

Yes I did, I think last week when someone asked about purchasing a rug for a 7'6" piano. Mine is a 1981. It was a C&A piano. I've had it partially rebuild with WNG action and Ronsen Weickert hammers. Next step will be restringing.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums