Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Mark... Peter Bence beats up a Bose - 05/29/18 03:17 AM
Peter is at it again with his loop recorder.

Posted By: John305 Re: Peter Bence beats up a Bose - 05/29/18 02:40 PM
He’s different, I’ll give him that.
Posted By: violarules Re: Peter Bence beats up a Bose - 05/29/18 03:33 PM
There are parts of this video where the "lead" acoustic piano sound from the recording is not matching what he is playing, particularly in the left hand (around the 1:00 mark). I think that the video is him mimicking along with his own recorded performance. Some of the techniques heard you can't do with a simple looper, there would need to be a computer and sequencer and "triggers" to make it all work. Which I'm sure he can do live. It's just that what is seen does not match up with what is heard in this video.
Posted By: GC13 Re: Peter Bence beats up a Bose - 05/29/18 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by violarules
There are parts of this video where the "lead" acoustic piano sound from the recording is not matching what he is playing, particularly in the left hand (around the 1:00 mark). I think that the video is him mimicking along with his own recorded performance. Some of the techniques heard you can't do with a simple looper, there would need to be a computer and sequencer and "triggers" to make it all work. Which I'm sure he can do live. It's just that what is seen does not match up with what is heard in this video.

He's very talented, and that's a great arrangement of that classic Toto song which is one of my personal favorites. He's definitely playing along to a track that was pre-recorded. I'm generally not a huge Bosendorfer fan, but that piano sounds gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it.
Posted By: Campanella12 Re: Peter Bence beats up a Bose - 05/29/18 07:16 PM

It just fantastic to watch him play the entire piano and move around it as it it was his best friend! Hats off to real talent !
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Peter Bence beats up a Bose - 05/29/18 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by John305

That's about all I can say as well.
Posted By: BruceD Re: Peter Bence beats up a Bose - 05/29/18 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by John305

That's about all I can say as well.

... and I have nothing that I can add. :), except to say that this is another palindromic post of mine: no. 21212. It will be gone with the next post, however.

Cheers!
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Peter Bence beats up a Bose - 05/30/18 12:54 AM
The guy is clearly very talented. That said...

I see a lot of guys do this looping stuff with guitars, and it's not really my cup of tea. In fact, I've seen it so much that I kind dread when I see someone start doing it.

I think some of this guy's other videos have been linked here before--he's the only one I've seen use a looper with a piano--and, although intriguing, I think I'd tire of it after a song or two. Also, I'm not really a fan of playing the piano in unorthodox ways, a la the Piano Guys. It's all clever once or twice, but starts to seem gimmicky after a bit.

Also, I agree with Violarules...there are a few places where the video and audio don't seem to "agree." No problem--lots of people lip sync, so to speak.

So, yeah, lots of talent (IMO), but hopefully he finds ways to keep extending what he's doing, and pushing his own envelope.
Posted By: ando Re: Peter Bence beats up a Bose - 05/30/18 01:27 AM
Loopers are the antithesis of music composition. Because they promote the use of constant repetition with additional layers as embellishment, they don't encourage the composer to develop rhythmically and harmonically or develop complex structures. It impresses people who aren't very knowledgable about music "oh wow, look at that, he sounds like a whole band, you can hear him build it up!".

To anybody who has done multitrack recording, it's a very simple concept. The parts are often simplified too, because the performer has to make sure they are the right length and that they lock in with the previous part(s). There's a lot of concentrating going on just to make it work, as a result, the music is less detailed, the performer is more engaged with his looper than his audience. It plays right into the mentality of current pop music, one idea, one chord progression, no distinction between verse, bridge chorus other than the actual vocal melody. In short, it bores me and I wouldn't go to a gig featuring a looping performer. It's a simple gimmick and once you've exhausted that initial excitement, you realise this music sounds very same-y. I also think it's a bit introverted and antisocial, but that's another subject.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums