Piano World Home Page

The Garage Piano Restoration

Posted By: GC13

The Garage Piano Restoration - 05/10/18 01:51 PM

This is a cool video. I mentioned it in another thread, but I thought many of you would enjoy watching it -- if you haven't run across it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH6mabIucUc
Posted By: Chrispy

Re: The Garage Piano Restoration - 05/10/18 10:59 PM

It was interesting to watch and see the work that went in to it. One question they didn't address was why they bothered. The amount of work required was incredibly high and in my (admitted limited) understanding, 20's Steinway's aren't that hard to come by. I wonder if it was just for the challenge?
Posted By: Ritz

Re: The Garage Piano Restoration - 05/11/18 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by squidbot
It was interesting to watch and see the work that went in to it. One question they didn't address was why they bothered. The amount of work required was incredibly high and in my (admitted limited) understanding, 20's Steinway's aren't that hard to come by. I wonder if it was just for the challenge?

I am doing something similar with a Chickering baby grand from the 30's. I'm doing it for three reasons.

1. I want to learn about how pianos function. I'm a gearhead/tinkerer/etc and just find it fascinating.
2. I hate to see beautiful instruments sent to a landfill when it is possible to salvage them.
3. I enjoy it. It's a relaxing hobby for my spare time.

I'll learn on this one and maybe the next one will be a scruffy Steinway....or not.

Best,
Posted By: Beemer

Re: The Garage Piano Restoration - 05/11/18 11:14 AM

Did you notice the depth of the indentations on the felts!

Ian
Posted By: GC13

Re: The Garage Piano Restoration - 05/11/18 11:53 AM

The piano appeared to be pretty salvageable for sure. I've met Mr. Chupp and visited his shop. He's very knowledgeable, and does very nice work. To those of us in the US, it's kind of like a Chip and Joanna Gaines Piano Fixer Upper. I'd say the case and action frame / fail along with a few pieces of hardware are probably just about the only original pieces once they were done.
Posted By: P W Grey

Re: The Garage Piano Restoration - 05/11/18 01:29 PM

I think Daniel said it best...he enjoys the challenge. Plus, if you can fix this...you can fix just about anything. There is satisfaction in successfully challenging your abilities. You may earn less in the final analysis, but that's not the point.

Then, when a client brings you a cherished family piece, but horribly neglected or damaged from the unexpected, and wants you to restore it, you can confidently reassure them that you can do it.

It's also really good advertising.

Pwg
Posted By: jcgee88

Re: The Garage Piano Restoration - 05/13/18 03:56 PM

We might question Mr. Chupp's rational. But an even better question is: Why would a piano tech - who should know better - store a Steinway on its side in his garage for 20 years?

John
Posted By: Ritz

Re: The Garage Piano Restoration - 05/13/18 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jcgee88
We might question Mr. Chupp's rational. But an even better question is: Why would a piano tech - who should know better - store a Steinway on its side in his garage for 20 years?

Why do people find rare/collectible cars in barns? People do strange things sometimes. smile

Best,
Posted By: RealPlayer

Re: The Garage Piano Restoration - 05/13/18 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jcgee88
Maybe so it's not taking up room in his house?
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums