Piano World Home Page
We've been looking for a piano for our two daughters (ages 9 and 12). They've been playing on a keyboard for several several years. We realize we need to get a piano and would like some comments on some of the piano's we've found.

We live in southern California.

1. We have a friend that bought a new Yamaha U1 2.5 years ago (now upgraded to grand) and is selling their U1 for $4000. We haven't yet seen the piano but I expect it to be flawless. Is this a good deal?

2. A performance art center is selling out Yamaha U3 so that they can get newer piano's. The U3 is 9 years old and sells for $5800. Is this a good deal?

3. The same performance art center also have new Yamaha U1 for $6000, new T121 for $5000 and new T118 for $4000. Are these good values?

We have listened to all piano's and the biggest difference in sound is between the U3 and U1. The U3 sound is much fuller/richer. I believe all above models are more than adequate for my daughters and I don't believe a more expensive piano makes better players. However, no matter what they play, I would like the piano to give out a good quality sound, much like buying a good sound system.

Any advice you can give, given the above choices?
Thanks.

/Peter
I believe that the U3 is your best bet and the price is fair, even for 8 years old if the piano is in good condition. You might offer them $ 5,000 and see where that goes. The U1 price for $ 4,000 is fabulous and if the U3 is not in your budget. Go for the U1.

Best Regards,
In the preowned Yamaha and Kawai market I feel the Yamaha U3 though it retails for 3k more than the U1 depreciates in value more so than a U1. Other variables play a major role in it's depreciation / age,condition, wear and tear etc.
I sell a Yamaha U3 usually for $500 -$1000 more if both pianos were comparable in the depreciation factors stated earlier. In conclusion buy the U1 if the U3 is not obtainable for $800-$1000 less. U1 is an industry standard Only my opinion in that I have sold over 500 Yamaha and Kawai pianos though mostly grey market
Posted By: Jolly Re: Yamaha U3, U1, T121, T118 price question - 05/27/07 05:50 PM
U1.
Posted By: tm3 Re: Yamaha U3, U1, T121, T118 price question - 05/27/07 06:02 PM
that is a very interesting point about the relative depreciation of a U3 compared to a U1.

peter you may want to consider the possible future scenario of deciding to upgrade to a grand. i believe that you would lose the least amount of money on the used U1 if that happened.
Thank you all for your thoughts. It sounds like the U1 is the best choice. That's been our thinking as well. Not sure about trading up, as we don't have the room for a baby grand. That's when a U3 or similar may come into play. However, we don't aspire for our kids to start competition. Rather we just want them to enjoy music and be able to play the music they desire.

/Peter
The sound of the U3 is fuller and richer. Get the U3.
I have a Yamaha U3 that is in excellent condition and the sound is great. I understand that it was made at the end of 1976 or beginning of 1977. Does anyone have any idea what the value of the piano would be?
Posted By: Poisy Re: Yamaha U3, U1, T121, T118 price question - 09/03/08 10:59 PM
Since the U1 is privately owned I would think it is a better choice. I assume more people play on the U3 over the years at the performance art center. I currently own a U1 but I love the sound of the U3.
I live in Seattle, WA. and I am interested in buying a Yamaha U3. Could someone tell me where to buy one in Seattle and what would be a fare price?

Thanks,

Winston
Posted By: BDB Re: Yamaha U3, U1, T121, T118 price question - 10/26/10 02:04 AM
The Yamaha dealer in Seattle seems to be Classic Pianos.
Seattle fare prices.
Posted By: liszt85 Re: Yamaha U3, U1, T121, T118 price question - 10/26/10 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by BDB

I LOL'd. grin
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums