Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Patrick Cox Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/19/17 08:05 PM
Hello,
I am in the process of selecting a new piano and while I have not ruled out a small grand (5'3" or so), an upright would fit better into our home. I have played the Yamaha U1 and I liked it but but I am intrigued by the stated upgrades of the YUS series. So, if you own one or have played one, I would appreciate your comments on this line of pianos. I play mostly jazz with some classical.

Thanks!
Posted By: Jason74 Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/19/17 09:21 PM
Hi Patrick,

I might be able to help here.I also play mainly jazz, although classical doesn't feature on my radar at all and if I deviate from jazz it's more in a boogie woogie / blues, or even rock direction. I have had a YUS5 for a couple of years now (having upgraded from a 40 year old U1), and have been delighted with it. Imho, it's a big step up from a "standard" U series for a relatively modest price upgrade. The softer hammers and better strings really do make a big difference tone wise, and strangely, the odd cabinet of the YUS5 seems to help with the sound too (the YUS3 doesn't sound nearly as nice imho). It also feels a little more refined than a U3 action wise, with the Ivorite keys making a surprising difference here. The dynamic range is also huge, especially at the bottom end where the bass can talk in a deep whisper or bring thunder to the table as the mood takes you.

I'd go as far as to say that although on paper it's basically an upgraded U3, it sounds and feels more like a small step down from the handbuilt (and seriously expensive!) SU7 . It's also responded well to voicing and regulation, so I've been able to get it set up just how I want it, and the gap to the much more expensive SU7 really is surprisingly small. I'd say that along with the Kawai K800 (which is a very different animal from the YUS5 tone wise. Try them both and you'll almost certainly have a strong preference one way or the other) it's the best mass produced upright out there and is the equal of pretty much anything short of some of the beautiful hand built German uprights. When I bought mine, I'd have to have literally spent at least twice as much to get anything I meaningfully preferred, and I much preferred it to anything in remotely the same price bracket.

So for me, there's nothing but happiness at the purchase I made. Personally I don't think the YUS3 makes much sense. The price gap from YUS3 to 5 is pretty small, and the YUS3 doesn't have the ivorite keys or the useful music desk.Strangely (as they are apparently the same inside), it also doesn't sound nearly as nice. The YUS1 is imho very nice, and if you want a "better" Yamaha than a U1, going to a YUS1 imho gives you much more than a U3 for (hear in the UK at least) almost the exact same amount of money.

So I'm a big fan of the YUS series. It retains some of that "punch" that is traditionally associated with Yamaha, while also having a subtelty and depth to it that the U series lack. That said, I've known a couple of jazz players who actually prefer the U series as it has more of that harder edge. It's very much a case of try them and see if it works for you. I'd say the YUS5 is well worth the premium over the others if the budget allows, and if it doesn't, The YUS1 is imho better value than the YUS3, but that's just a personal view.

Keep us posted as to what you do from here, and try and enjoy the shopping process!
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/20/17 10:54 AM
Patrick,

Welcome to PianoWorld. Jason has already given you some of the features of the YUS5, but let me add my 2 cents.

Regulars here know that for many years I would say that Yamaha pianos were well built, but I never particularly liked them. That had to do with the "Yamaha sound". It had, as Jason stated, a "punch" to the tone. It lacked beautiful warmth that I always enjoyed in really fine boutique pianos.

That has changed. The YUS5 is a great example of this change. It is built in small numbers. It has a tremendous amount of hand work involved in its construction and the materials are upgraded and comparable to other premium pianos on the market. The instrument has beautiful pastel shades within a tone that I truly enjoy.

It is not a cheap piano, but I highly recommend auditioning it.

Good Luck,

Posted By: plumpfingers Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/20/17 02:59 PM
Anyone have an opinion on the YUS5 compared to the top Kayserberg upright? Aren't they at similar price points?
Posted By: Jason74 Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/20/17 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by plumpfingers
Anyone have an opinion on the YUS5 compared to the top Kayserberg upright? Aren't they at similar price points?

I tried the Kayserberg when I was looking for the YUS5. And yes, at the time, there was very little between them price wise, although Yamaha price increases mean that now a YUS5 lists at almost 3,000 gbp more than the Kayserburg here in the UK. My thoughts on it were that it was impressive. Speaking as a mere player (and not a techinical expert), it felt like it was a similar quality to the YUS5 and Kawai K800. It had a "softer" tone profile than either of those pianos though, and if I was looking for that kind of sound I may well have bought one. I'd certainly suggest that anyone looking to buy an upright in that price range tries one, and given how much cheaper it now is than the Yamaha (at least in the UK), it certainly stacks up well value wise.

I personally don't share the view of some that this is a genuine alternative to a top German upright , but i'd certainly take a view that it's a very welcome addition to the market, and perhaps is the closest "copy" of the German sound at the price point. Certainly I think anyone looking to buy at the YUS5 / K800 type price point should be trying one of these before parting with their cash. Naturally I preferred the Yamaha, but I can certainly see why someone else might choose the Kayserberg, especially if their tastes were more towards classical music
Posted By: plumpfingers Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/21/17 12:18 AM
Thanks Jason74. Very helpful.
Posted By: Patrick Cox Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/26/17 11:21 AM
Well, I was having difficulty actually finding a YUS piano to play. However I finally found a dealer about 3 hours away who will have them in stock in the next few weeks so when they come in I am going to drive up and see them. This dealer also carries Kawai so I am excited about playing a K series as well. We don't have Kawai where I live. So any thoughts on the K series vs the YUS series? Are they competitive? I look forward to playing both.

Thanks!
Posted By: Jason74 Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/28/17 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Patrick Cox
Well, I was having difficulty actually finding a YUS piano to play. However I finally found a dealer about 3 hours away who will have them in stock in the next few weeks so when they come in I am going to drive up and see them. This dealer also carries Kawai so I am excited about playing a K series as well. We don't have Kawai where I live. So any thoughts on the K series vs the YUS series? Are they competitive? I look forward to playing both.

Thanks!

Hi Patrick, good to see that you've got the opportunity to try these excellent (in my admittedly rather biased opinion) pianos. As for the Kawai K series, they cover a much wider section of the market but the top end models are valid competitors for the YUS series. The K800 / YUS5 choice is a common one among people looking for a top end mass produced upright. Frankly either would be an excellent choice imho, along with the Kaserbergs discussed earlier in the thread. I'd also suggest looking at a Hoffman T128 if you can find one and are in that section of the market.
Posted By: Patrick Cox Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 09/16/17 09:22 PM
Well, I was finally able to audition the Kawai K Series and the Yamaha YUS. I had to drive a bit farther than I had originally planned but it was worth the trip. I played the Kawai K300, K500 & K800 and the Yamaha YUS1 and YUS5. And really for me, there was one that stood out significantly over the others. That being the YUS5. So I bought one! I hope to take delivery by the end of this month. And that piano actually sounded and felt better under my hands than even the C2X that I played. The dealer equated this piano to a C3X in an upright format. It is amazing. So I will post a picture when it arrives. Thanks for everyone's input!
Posted By: PianoWorksATL Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 09/16/17 09:23 PM
Congrats! Enjoy your new piano.
Posted By: ando Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 09/16/17 09:56 PM
Well, I was finally able to audition the Kawai K Series and the Yamaha YUS. I had to drive a bit farther than I had originally planned but it was worth the trip. I played the Kawai K300, K500 & K800 and the Yamaha YUS1 and YUS5. And really for me, there was one that stood out significantly over the others. That being the YUS5. So I bought one! I hope to take delivery by the end of this month. And that piano actually sounded and felt better under my hands than even the C2X that I played. The dealer equated this piano to a C3X in an upright format. It is amazing. So I will post a picture when it arrives. Thanks for everyone's input!

Hi Patrick, congratulations on finding the piano for you! It wasn't clear to me from your post, but can I suggest that you make sure the piano you buy is the actual piano you played, and not just another piano of the same model shipped in from the warehouse? Pianos can vary and you want the same magic you felt with this piano. The floor piano in the store will also be more stable tuning-wise than a fresh one brought in. Good luck!
Posted By: Patrick Cox Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 09/16/17 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by ando

Hi Patrick, congratulations on finding the piano for you! It wasn't clear to me from your post, but can I suggest that you make sure the piano you buy is the actual piano you played, and not just another piano of the same model shipped in from the warehouse? Pianos can vary and you want the same magic you felt with this piano. The floor piano in the store will also be more stable tuning-wise than a fresh one brought in. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. And yes, the specific instrument I played is the one I purchased. It was just delivered to the store by Yamaha over the past week and the dealer did a nice job prepping it. I thought it was perfect really. I'm very excited! Thanks!
Posted By: DFSRN Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 09/16/17 10:31 PM
Patrick congrat on your YUS 5. I have only been playing a little of 3 years now, used to play as a child. I had bought a U1 about 3 years ago and did not like it, it had sounded like a tin sound. I called the piano store back within a month and said, I know you will think I am crazy, but I do not like the U1. He did not have the higher end pianos to try out. I traded and bought the YUS 5 and love it. I like the fact the sound comes from the back and front of the piano. Deb
Posted By: Patrick Cox Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 09/17/17 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Patrick congrat on your YUS 5. I have only been playing a little of 3 years now, used to play as a child. I had bought a U1 about 3 years ago and did not like it, it had sounded like a tin sound. I called the piano store back within a month and said, I know you will think I am crazy, but I do not like the U1. He did not have the higher end pianos to try out. I traded and bought the YUS 5 and love it. I like the fact the sound comes from the back and front of the piano. Deb

I agree with you on the U1. There is a huge difference between the YUS5 and the U1. YUS1 is also nice but YUS5 is significantly better than that one as well.
Posted By: Jam1308 Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/25/19 09:08 PM
Hi,
What is the pricepoint of Yamaha YUS3? I found a brand new one for $13,800 AUD. Is this reasonable?
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/25/19 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Patrick,

Welcome to PianoWorld. Jason has already given you some of the features of the YUS5, but let me add my 2 cents.

Regulars here know that for many years I would say that Yamaha pianos were well built, but I never particularly liked them. That had to do with the "Yamaha sound". It had, as Jason stated, a "punch" to the tone. It lacked beautiful warmth that I always enjoyed in really fine boutique pianos.

That has changed. The YUS5 is a great example of this change. It is built in small numbers. It has a tremendous amount of hand work involved in its construction and the materials are upgraded and comparable to other premium pianos on the market. The instrument has beautiful pastel shades within a tone that I truly enjoy.

It is not a cheap piano, but I highly recommend auditioning it.

Good Luck,

I agree with Rich the YUS5 is great upright. The tone of this piano is wonderful and outdoes many more expensive pianos.I can't help liking a good U1 that is not totally brand new.(choose a floor model rather one straight from the warehouse )If I had to choose a different Japanese piano.(from a
Yus5) it would be a competition between a U3 or a Kawai K500.(perhaps Kawai would win)
The whole YUS series is worth looking at as well.
Sometimes I read Ritmuiler make a very nice upright as well.
Posted By: Lady Bird Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/25/19 09:45 PM
Oh you bought a YUS5 congratulations ! I am glad I reccomended the piano you bought !
Posted By: j&j Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/26/19 12:43 PM
Congratulations on your new YUS5 upright! Very high quality upright with a great sound. I wish you many happy hours playing it! Please post pictures when you can. We love piano pictures and usually new owners love posting them for us to ohhh and ahhhh over. 😁. A total win-win!
Posted By: NobleHouse Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/26/19 12:47 PM
Congratulations are due. Enjoy your new journey with your new piano.
Posted By: backto_study_piano Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/26/19 01:00 PM
Hello,
I am in the process of selecting a new piano and while I have not ruled out a small grand (5'3" or so), an upright would fit better into our home. I have played the Yamaha U1 and I liked it but but I am intrigued by the stated upgrades of the YUS series. So, if you own one or have played one, I would appreciate your comments on this line of pianos. I play mostly jazz with some classical.

Thanks!

When we were upgrading Mum's piano 5 or 6 years ago, I played the Indonesian YAMAHA U1J and the YUS1 - and the YUS1 was far better. I then took Mum to play those 2 as well as a YUS3. She quickly narrowed it down to the YUS1 or 3 - and made the decision to buy the YUS1 - figuring that at 84 yrs old she wouldn't be playing it for many more years (which was an accurate prediction), sadly.

The YUS5, being bigger, is undoubtedly a better piano, and I'm sure it will provide years of enjoyment.

We'd also looked at the equivalent KAWAI (K series) - but they were a little dearer at that stage, so it was the YAMAHA.

The YUS YAMAHAs I've had a few in school and Church situations, and they're robust reliable pianos.

Personally, I preferred the "feel" of the KAWAI, but the sound of the YAMAHA - if it was me, I'd be flipping a coin nearly.
Posted By: KurtZ Re: Yamaha YUS Series Pianos - 08/27/19 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano

Personally, I preferred the "feel" of the KAWAI, but the sound of the YAMAHA - if it was me, I'd be flipping a coin nearly.

And I'm the exact opposite. Prefer the sound of Kawai and the feel of Yamaha.

Kurt
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums