Piano World Home Page

"It has a velvet sound"

Posted By: DeadPoets

"It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 08:55 AM

I'm looking at a 1928 Schumann baby grand piano. The seller says it has a velvet sound.

What does that mean? smile
Posted By: dogperson

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 10:00 AM

......means smooth as silk 😃
Posted By: Rich Galassini

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 10:57 AM

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Seriously, this person is not using the language that many musicians routinely use. Also, when anyone uses even more common language it is still easy to misunderstand. The typical 1928 Schumann grand is worth little to nothing, but if this piano seems like something you ought to consider, don't try to decipher their meaning, go and play the piano.

Good luck!

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Seriously, this person is not using the language that many musicians routinely use. Also, when anyone uses even more common language it is still easy to misunderstand. The typical 1928 Schumann grand is worth little to nothing, but if this piano seems like something you ought to consider, don't try to decipher their meaning, go and play the piano.

Good luck!

Ya. He's selling it for 1000. I will see how it plays and offer off of that.
Posted By: David Farley

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 04:34 PM

Velvet sound?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: S. Phillips

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 05:25 PM

Offer NOTHING. It is not worth the price of moving. It is a very old piano that was a very low end instrument in the first place. They should pay you to take it. It's a money pit on casters.

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by S. Phillips
Offer NOTHING. It is not worth the price of moving. It is a very old piano that was a very low end instrument in the first place. They should pay you to take it. It's a money pit on casters.

What makes you say that?

I'm just looking for a "super light" action acoustic piano and this owner swears his piano is very light. So I'm gonna try it out.

To give you an idea, I've also been looking at Baldwin Acrosonic's. The piano doesn't matter to me - the touch is critical to me due to arthritis.
Posted By: S. Phillips

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 05:49 PM

I am just saying that the $1000 price is ludicrous for that piano. It is too old and of very poor quality. If you want it tell them that you will take it for free. Their price is way wrong. There are no repair parts available. The company is out of business. It is too old to be in good shape. The moving cost will eclipse the value.
Posted By: PhilipInChina

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 06:01 PM

I would back Sally Phillips' opinion! She has forgotten more about pianos than most people will ever know.
Posted By: Miguel Rey

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 06:17 PM

Sales pitch
Posted By: Rich Galassini

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
The typical 1928 Schumann grand is worth little to nothing,

Thank you Sally for saying plainly what I said way too delicately.

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 06:31 PM

The thing that's interesting about me is that I care very little about anything but how the piano plays (due to physical constraints)

I've only been playing for a year, and I just want something I can practice on for 1-2 hours a day without injuring myself. Digital pianos (I've tried 4 different ones with zero luck, good ones too) all bring me a lot of forearm and hand pain. Makes playing impossible.

Super light action acoustic pianos do not cause me pain. I practiced on a piece of crap Gulbransen spinet that had a very poor tone and 2 stuck keys. But you know what- I practiced and practiced and learned an enormous amount in 6 months on that thing.

I need something to learn on - and then in the future I can invest in something worthwhile.

So maybe I'm still making a mistake even considering this Schumann, but do you have any better ideas?

Posted By: ando

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
She has forgotten more about pianos than most people will ever know.

I've always found this saying nonsensical. It what world would forgetting something be a virtue? crazy

(I know what it means, I just hate that saying)
Posted By: pianoloverus

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ando

I've always found this saying nonsensical. It what world would forgetting something be a virtue? crazy
It doesn't imply that forgetting is a virtue.
Posted By: Mark...

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 08:35 PM

DeadPoets I'm sure you can find a light action on a decent piano, why buy an anchor? I'm sure a technician could also lighten an action on a decent piano. Your approach is like buying a car with comfortable seats with a blown engine. Your ass will feel good but you wont get anywhere...

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 11:29 PM

The piano was fantastic. I was blown away by the sound of this thing given its age.

The action was exactly what I was looking for. Quick response, super light action.

I took comfort in knowing it came from a piano teacher, and was well taken care of and played on a regular basis.

Paid 700 for it (she was asking 1000). If I overpaid for it then so be it.

Posted By: Rickster

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/06/17 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by DeadPoets
The piano was fantastic. I was blown away by the sound of this thing given its age.

The action was exactly what I was looking for. Quick response, super light action.

I took comfort in knowing it came from a piano teacher, and was well taken care of and played on a regular basis.

Congratulations on your new-to-you grand piano, DP!

As for all the negative advice you got here, regarding the older piano, remember that this is more or less a public forum. You will get a broad variety of advice here, ranging from A to Z and everywhere in between. Heck, I've been told that I give bad advice here. But remember, it's free and usually worth what it cost. smile

What matters most is whether or not YOU like the piano and it meets your needs. And, it sounds like it does!

Wishing you all the best!

Rick

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/07/17 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rickster

As for all the negative advice you got here, regarding the older piano, remember that this is more or less a public forum. You will get a broad variety of advice here, ranging from A to Z and everywhere in between. Heck, I've been told that I give bad advice here. But remember, it's free and usually worth what it cost. smile

What matters most is whether or not YOU like the piano and it meets your needs. And, it sounds like it does!

Rick

Thanks Rick.

And ya, the advice I was given didn't bother me at all. It's why I like forum settings - wide range of opinions and ideas.

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/07/17 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by ando

It doesn't imply that forgetting is a virtue.

Thanks, I knew I could count on you... smirk

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/07/17 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rickster

Rick

Well said, Rick. I think it's also worth mentioning that there are always exceptions that can be found to any rule. Even if the majority of such pianos have been of poor quality, there's still the possibility that there can be a few that buck the trend. Maybe some of them got special attention to detail when they were built because they were used to promote the brand, or maybe they were customised for somebody, or prepared for a venue. Maybe a prototype? Who knows?

If DeadPoets is happy, that's all that matters. Enjoy!
Posted By: Miguel Rey

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/07/17 02:13 PM

Did he give any kind of warranty? If not for mechanics then at least guarantee it will hold tune for a reasonable amount of time. If it does then hope you enjoy it.
Posted By: Pianolance

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/07/17 02:52 PM

That means you should only play Mel Torme songs.

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/07/17 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Miguel Rey
Did he give any kind of warranty? If not for mechanics then at least guarantee it will hold tune for a reasonable amount of time. If it does then hope you enjoy it.

DeadPoets said s/he bought it from a piano teacher/private seller. I doubt it has any kind of warranty. Usually, private sales are as is where is. If the previous owner was a piano teacher, and the piano was played regularly, I would think it would hold a tuning for a reasonable period of time.

And, even it if doesn't, DP liked the piano and bought it on the spot, for better or worse. Based on his/her comments, it seems for the better.

Rick
Posted By: johnstaf

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/07/17 04:21 PM

It's great that you knew exactly what you were looking for and found it. Enjoy it!

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/07/17 05:01 PM

Appreciate all the comments.

That sucker will be in my house on Wednesday smile

I'm so relieved to be done with the piano shopping (Craigslist, used dealers, etc).

The best company I dealt with was Houston Piano Company. They know their stuff and are very customer friendly.
Posted By: Pianolance

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/07/17 08:22 PM

Congratulations.
Posted By: chopin_r_us

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/10/17 06:23 PM

Ya did well smile It's not a lot to pay for something that you're happy with.
Posted By: musicpassion

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/11/17 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by S. Phillips
It's a money pit on casters.
I hope your new piano works out well for you and you can enjoy much playing!

The quotable quote is priceless, however. Sally, the "money pit on castors" is entering my permanent piano lexicon, right alongside the definition for "TLC."

T.L.C. = Tons and Loads of Cash

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/11/17 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by musicpassion
I hope your new piano works out well for you and you can enjoy much playing!

The quotable quote is priceless, however. Sally, the "money pit on castors" is entering my permanent piano lexicon, right alongside the definition for "TLC."

Well, TLC could also mean "That Ludicrous Conundrum". smile

These acronyms kind of remind me of the old Jimmie Rogers song "T for Texas, T for Tennessee, T for Texas, T for Tennessee, T for Thelma, the gal who made a wreck out of me". grin

Sorry, I like the really old country tunes...

Rick
Posted By: bennevis

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 08/11/17 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by musicpassion
Sally, the "money pit on castors" is entering my permanent piano lexicon, right alongside the definition for "TLC."

In my neck of the woods (a Kiwi term, I believe, not that I'm a Kiwi, nor even a kiwi), TLC stands for Tender Loving Care.

Which is applicable to all venerable pianos thumb.
Posted By: mivaldes

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 07/02/18 12:09 AM

I'm wondering how the original poster is liking his piano these days? Now that I've met Sally and know her level of expertise (think Stratopheric), I'm curious how this has worked out....

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 07/02/18 02:42 AM

Love the piano. Play about 3 hours a day on it smile

It’s perfect for what I needed, but probably wouldn’t be “up to standards” for a lot of musicians.

You never truly understand how much of a difference there is between an acoustic piano and keyboard (from a touch perspective) until you actually own an acoustic piano and play it regularly. I don’t think I could play a keyboard now if I tried.
Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 07/02/18 03:24 AM

Long ago I rebuilt a 5' 10" Schumann grand that was very well built. Most of the Schumann grands were little 5' or so piano terrible's.

I put a new soundboard, pin-block, bridges, re- scaled strings and rebuilt the action and refinished the lovely mahogany case. A piano teacher bought the piano. It played and sounded quite lovely. It sounded quite velvety if I recall.

If you got that piano for $700 and it is still in good shape, you got a great deal. The damper pedal had some damage to the pivot system that I never felt confident about, I intended to acquire new pedals for the lyre but the teacher moved away.
Posted By: mivaldes

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 07/02/18 10:46 AM

How well does it hold a tuning? What would not be "up to standards"? Truly just curious. Thanks!

Re: "It has a velvet sound" - 07/02/18 11:06 AM

It holds a tuning well for a piano that age – needs one every 9-12 months or so.

It has a few keys that are slightly out of tune and I’m assuming have no chance of being fixed without paying a lot of $. The Piano itself is a bit bright. Aesthetically it’s in poor shape, but I didn’t care how it looked, just how it played.

It’s certainly not my dream Piano – one day I would like to get something better. But for what I needed to begin playing, and to allow me to play for hours on end, it’s perfect. The touch is light and quick. I had the action regulated, and the Piano cleaned up a bit after purchasing. The technician and uses great, and has worked on a lot of old Pianos similar to mine. You know exactly what was needed and the upgrades were well worth it.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums